Purraise
Cranberry Roast Pork

1 boneless rolled pork loin
1 tsp. dry mustard
16 oz. can jelled cranberry
1/4 tsp. ground cloves
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup orange juice

Place roast in crockpot. Combine other ingredients. Pour over roast. Cook on low 6-8 hours.

Remove roast and skim fat from liquid. Remove two cups of the juice (add water if needed). Bring to a boil over medium heat in saucepan.

Combine 2 tablespoons of cornstarch with 2 tablespoons of water. Use the cornstarch slurry to thicken juice. Pour over pork and serve.

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
Slow Cooker Chicken Taco Soup

Makes 8 servings and freezes really well.

INGREDIENTS

• 1 onion, chopped
• 1 (16 ounce) can chili beans
• 1 (15 ounce) can black beans
• 1 (15 ounce) can whole kernel corn, drained
• 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
• 1 (12 fluid ounce) can or bottle beer
• 2 (10 ounce) cans diced tomatoes with green chilies, undrained
• 1 (1.25 ounce) package taco seasoning
• 3 whole skinless, boneless chicken breasts
• shredded Cheddar cheese (optional)
• sour cream (optional)
• crushed tortilla chips (optional)

DIRECTIONS

1. Place the onion, chili beans, black beans, corn, tomato sauce, beer, and diced tomatoes in a slow cooker. Add taco seasoning, and stir to blend. Lay chicken breasts on top of the mixture, pressing down slightly until just covered by the other ingredients. Set slow cooker for low heat, cover, and cook for 5 hours.
2. Remove chicken breasts from the soup, and allow to cool long enough to be handled. Stir the shredded chicken back into the soup, and continue cooking for 2 hours. Serve topped with shredded Cheddar cheese, a dollop of sour cream, and crushed tortilla chips, if desired.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
From Taste of Home Aug & Sept 2010....

Louisiana Red Beans and Rice

4 cans (16 oz. each) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
14-1/2 oz. can diced tomatoes, undrained
14 oz. smoked turkey sausage, sliced
1 cup chicken broth
3 celery ribs, chopped
1 large onion, chopped
1 medium green pepper, chopped
1 medium sweet red pepper, chopped
6 garlic cloves, minced
1 bay leaf
1/2 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
2 green onions, chopped
Hot cooked rice

In a 4-quart slow cooker, combine the first 11 ingredients. Cover and cook on low 8-10 hours or until heated through. Stir before serving. Discard bay leaf. Sprinkle each serving with green onions. Serve over rice.

If you want some extra heat, you can add hot sauce at the table, if you'd like. Makes 9 servings.

What I do: I use a 16 oz. pkg of hot sausage links (Hillshire Farm), sliced diagonally. I heat the sausage in the pan, then drain it well. I saute the onion and celery with the peppers and garlic, then add the crushed red pepper. Then I put everything together in the crock pot. (I really like to saute the onions and other vegetables before putting them into the crock pot, even though the recipe did not say to do that. It's just one little extra step.
google_ad_section_end

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
Crock Pot Pulled Pork Sandwiches - makes 10 generous servings

2-1/2 to 3 lb. pork sirloin roast or boneless pork shoulder roast
3 Tbsp. cider vinegar
2 Tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
1 tsp. ground cumin OR chili powder
1/2 cup water
Homemade BBQ sauce (below) OR 3-1/2 cups of your favorite BBQ sauce
Hamburger buns

Trim fat from pork roast. Cut roast, if necessary, to fit into a 3-1/2 to 4 quart crock pot. Season meat with salt and pepper. In a small bowl, combine 1/2 cup water, vinegar, Worcestershire sauce, and cumin or chili powder. Pour over meat in crock pot. Cover and cook on Low heat 8 to 10 hours or on High heat 4 to 5 hours. Remove meat and discard the cooking liquid.

Using two forks, shred the meat and return the meat to the crock pot. Stir in 2 cups of the BBQ sauce. Cover and cook on High heat 30 to 45 minutes or until heated through.

Serve the meat in split hamburger rolls. Pass the remaining BBQ sauce.

Homemade BBQ Sauce:

2-1/2 cups ketchup
1 cup finely chopped onion
1/4 cup packed brown sugar
3 Tbsp. bottled Pickapeppa Sauce or Worcestershire sauce
3 Tbsp. cider vinegar
3 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 tsp. hot pepper sauce

Combine all ingredients in a medium saucepan. Bring to boiling. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Use immediately or let it cool. Chill up to 3 days. Makes 3-1/2 cups of sauce.

Note: I use cumin instead of the chili powder. You will need a really good BBQ sauce for the pork. Use a sauce that you really like. I also like to add just a wee bit of Liquid Smoke to the mix, too.

This is a good (and easy) recipe for when you either don't feel like messing around with your grill or it's too cold to grill outside, but you want pulled pork. Slathered with your favorite sauce and with some cole slaw, it's good stuff!
google_ad_section_end

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
Crockpot Stuffing

1 cup butter or margarine
2 cup chopped onion
2 cup chopped celery
1/4 parsley, minced
12-13 cups slightly dry bread cubes
1 tsp. poultry seasoning
1-1/2 tsp. sage
1 tsp. dried thyme
1/2 tsp. each salt and pepper
1/2 tsp. marjoram
2 to 2-1/2 c. chicken or turkey broth
2 eggs, beaten

Melt butter in skillet and sauté onion, celery, and parsley. Pour over bread cubes in a very large mixing bowl. Add all seasonings and toss well. Pour in enough broth to moisten; add beaten eggs and mix well. Grease crock pot with butter. Pack lightly into crock pot. Cover; cook on high 45 minutes; then reduce to low 4 to 8 hours. Makes 6 servings.

RECIPE NOTE:Two 7-ounce packages seasoned stuffing mix may be substituted for bread cubes. Use 3 to 3½ cups chicken broth; omit herbs and salt.

What I do: Don't use the butter. Instead brown 1 to 1-1/2 pounds of bulk sausage. Add the onion, celery, and parsley to the skillet and saute. I also add two Granny Smith apples (peeled and chopped) to the skillet. I like to use a combination of white, whole wheat, and cornbread cubes instead of just one kind of bread. I use a bit more of the herbs than what the recipe specifies. I do not use all of the broth. I take the lid off the crock pot for the last 45 minutes and only cook the stuffing for about 4 hours.

google_ad_section_end

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
Crockpot Baked Beans

1-1/2 lb. ground beef
1 medium onion, diced (I use a nice large onion)
1 lb. bacon cut into 1/2-inch pices

Brown beef and onion, add bacon and cook until soft. Drain and add to crock pot.

Drain:
2 cans dark red kidney beans
2 cans butter beans
2 cans pork and beans

Add:
1 cup brown sugar (I use not quite 3/4 cup)
1 cup white sugar (I use not quite 3/4 cup)
1/2 cup molasses
1 cup ketchup
2 tsp. salt
2 Tbsp. vinegar
4 Tbsp. dry mustard

Mix everything together in the crockpot, turn on high. This should cook for about 30 minutes, then turn to low for about 5 hours. Stir occasionally, just to have a little taste.

Note: They can be sweet, especially if you're not used to sweeter baked beans. I've cut the sugar down a bit for us. You could probably decrease the amount further, if desired. I like to add a bit of horseradish to the beans.

If you taste the beans at the beginning of the cooking process, they may taste very harsh to you. The flavors will mingle over the cooking time and it will even out.

I like to make these beans for a summer picnic or family dinner because I can use the crock pot. That frees my oven space for other items. Plus you do it all ahead of time and then the beans will just cook on their own. Nothing last-minute.
google_ad_section_end

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
Crockpot Pot Roast

3 lb. BONELESS chuck roast, UNseared
1 can Cream of Chicken OR Cream of Mushroom soup
1 envelope Lipton's Onion Soup mix
2/3 cup white wine

Place the roast whole in a large crockpot and smear the can of soup (not diluted) over the top of the roast. Empty the entire envelope of dry onion soup over the top of the soup and pour the wine around the edges of the roast. Do not add any water. Cover and cook for 10 hours on low. Makes a wonderful gravy and the meat is very tender. Serve with noodles or steamed Yukon Gold potatoes.

Note: You can add chunked potatoes or carrots around it, at the time you start the recipe, too. I serve it over mashed potatoes for a great comfort meal. I use cream of mushroom soup....we're not really fond of "Cream of" anything, but this works.
google_ad_section_end

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
Pot Roast with Tomato Gravy

1 Tbsp. vegetable oil
3-4 lb. pot roast (round or other cut)
2 onions thinly, sliced
3 carrots, sliced about 1/2-inch thick
3 stalks of celery, thinly sliced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tsp. dried mustard
1/2 tsp. dried thyme
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. pepper
2 Tbsp. flour
1/2 cup beef broth
1 can tomato soup, undiluted
1 Tbsp. Worcestershire
2 Tbsp. packed dark brown sugar
2 Tbsp. balsamic vinegar

In a large skillet (heated to medium-high), heat vegetable oil. Pat roast dry with a paper towel and brown on all sides. Put roast in crock pot.

Lower skillet to medium and add carrots, onion, and celery, stirring until softened. Add salt, pepper, dry mustard, thyme, and garlic and stir one minute. Sprinkle mixture with flour, and stir. Add beef broth, tomato soup and cook until thickened. Stir in Worcestershire.

Pour mixture over roast in crock-pot and cook on Low 10 to 12 hours or on high 5 to 6 hours. Remove roast and add brown sugar and balsamic vinegar. Slice meat and return and heat until warm. Make 8 to 10 servings.
google_ad_section_end

Last edited:

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
From the Rival cookbook that came with my crock pot years ago

Crock Pot Macaroni And Cheese

3 cups cooked macaroni
1 Tbsp. butter or margarine
2 cups evaporated milk
3 cups shredded sharp Cheddar
1/4 cup chopped green pepper
1/4 cup chopped onion
1 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper

Toss macaroni with butter or margarine. Add remaining ingredients. Pour into lightly greased crock pot. Cover and on High 2 to 3 hours, stirring once or twice.

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Chicago "Beef" Sandwiches

3-4 pound beef roast (any cut will do as long as it's not too fatty)
1 jar pepperoncini peppers (I preferred sliced ones rather than whole)
1 can beer (cheap will work)
1 package Au Jous seasoning (find it with packaged gravies in grocery store)
1 sliced sweet onion (optional)
1 sliced bell pepper (optional)

Place meat, pepperoncini peppers and beer in a crock pot. Cook on high for about 6 hours, or until the meat can be shredded with a fork. Remove the beef from the pot and shred it with 2 forks. Put it back into the crock pot with the Au Jous seasoning, onions and bell peppers. Cook for another hour.

Serve over crusty french bread, hoagie rolls, or other type of hard crusty roll. If you can't find hard crusty rolls, then you can make your own by spritzing your rolls with a little water and baking it for a few minutes to crisp it up. If your bread is too soft, the sandwich will dissolve immediately.

This is a great recipe for those from Chicago that love their Beef sandwiches but have moved away and can't get them any more. The juice will drip down your hands when you eat them - they are intended to be eaten that way.

Last edited:

melesine

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Aloo Gobi
  • 1  small head cauliflower, cut into small florets
  • 1  russet potato, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch cubes (similar size to cauliflower)
  • 1  onion, chopped
  • 1  tablespoon each grated fresh  ginger and chopped garlic
  • 1  tomato, diced
  • 1  tablespoon  cumin seeds
  • 1  tablespoon  chili powder
  • 1  tablespoon  garam masala
  • 1  teaspoon  turmeric
  • 3  tablespoons  coconut oil
  • 1  large serrano pepper, whole or jalapeño is you want it less hot
  • 1  tablespoon  Kosher salt
  • 1  tablespoons  freshly minced cilantro leaves, to garnish
  •  
Combine all ingredients except cilantro in slow cooker and mix well. Cook on low 3 hours. Top with cilantro before serving.

I've found that stirring it about once an hour is helpful to it cooking evenly. 

binkyhoo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Crockpot Pot Roast

2/3 cup white wine

Place the roast whole in a large crockpot and smear the can of soup (not diluted) over the top of the roast. Empty the entire envelope of dry onion soup over the top of the soup and pour the wine around the edges of the roast. Do not add any water. Cover and cook for 10 hours on low. Makes a wonderful gravy and the meat is very tender. Serve with noodles or steamed Yukon Gold potatoes.

Note: You can add chunked potatoes or carrots around it, at the time you start the recipe, too. I serve it over mashed potatoes for a great comfort meal. I use cream of mushroom soup....we're not really fond of "Cream of" anything, but this works.
google_ad_section_end
This is close to my recipe, One of the few that I have. Same thing but I dont use the wine, I always add a bag of baby prepealed carrots over the top, It adds a bit of sweetness if you like that. And because I am super lazy I add canned white potatoes on top of that.  Hubby loves them. My right thing would be to add red salad potatoes. If they are tiny they can stay whole, if larger, chunk them down a bit.

A good recipie that is hard to goof up.

Last edited:

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Crockpot Pot Roast

2/3 cup white wine

google_ad_section_end
I made this last night, but didn't have any Onion Soup Mix, so just used dried onion flakes with some garlic powder and s & p.  Then discovered I also didn't have any white wine open, so used a little Burgandy (only thing I had open), and it was delicious!  I added a few carrots, because I LOVE them, (DH not so much), and DH said the carrots were wonderful, had a nice beefy flavor to them!  Now I wish I'd tossed in an entire package of them, because we ate them all

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Spicy Chicken Stew

Everything in this recipe is approximate!

31/2 cups potatoes, cut into about 1 " pieces (I leave the peel on - sometimes I use red potatoes, sometimes I use Irish...whatever I have on hand)

1 large package frozen corn

2 stalks celery, chopped

2 cups baby carrots, cut into thirds

1 onion, thickly sliced

2 (or more) cloves garlic, chopped

1 12oz (ish) jar salsa (mild, medium, hot? depends on your palate!)

salt & pepper

1 1/2 t cumin

1 t chili powder

1 boneless, skinless chicken breast

4 boneless, skinless chicken thighs

2 1/2 c chicken broth (or 1 can plus enough water to equal the 2 1/2 c liquid)

Place vegies in crock pot.  Stir in salsa, S & P, cumin, chili power.  Lay chicken on top and pour liquid over all.  Cover and cook on high 4 hours.  Transfer chicken to a plate and shred with 2 forks.  Stir back into crock pot and serve. 

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Slow Cooker Jambalaya (from Robin Miller)

1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1 inch cubes
1/2 pound andouille sausage, diced
1 (28 oz.) can diced tomatoes
1 medium onion, chopped
1 green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
1 stalk celery, chopped
1 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
2 teaspoons dried oregano
2 teaspoons Cajun or Creole seasoning (* most have a lot of salt, I have a recipe for a "just like" emeril's bam that I will make, with much less salt than called for)
1 teaspoon hot sauce
2 bay leaves
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
1 pound frozen, peeled and cooked shrimp, thawed
2 cups cooked rice

Directions:
In a slow cooker, combine chicken, sausage, tomatoes, onion, green pepper, celery, and chicken broth.  Stir in oregano, Cajun seasoning, hot sauce, bay leaves and thyme.

Cover and cook on LOW for 7 hours or HIGH for 3 hours.  Stir in the thawed shrimp, cover and cook until the shrimp is heated through, about 5 minutes.  Discard bay leaves and spoon mixture over cooked rice.
*is my note :)

eleanorrigby

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
yess!!! this is an amazing thread...keep it up! I love making something in the crock pot and coming home after work to a delicious hot meal.

I like to make mississippi pot roast.... Mmm! So good on mashed potatoes or in a sandwhich.
  • 3.5-5 lb. chuck roast
  • cooking oil
  • pepper/salt
  • 1 ranch packet (I have a big container of the stuff...So good to put to on veggies)
  • 1 onion soup packet (or brown gravy mix!)
  • 1 stick butter (1/2 cup)
  • 7-10 peperoncini peppers
You can brown the roast before putting it in the crock if you want to or not. I do, it seems to make it more tender.  After that you literally just put the roast in the crockpot, putting the butter stick just on top of it and then put on all the spices and powder and surround the meat with the peperoncini peppers. Let it look about 6-8 hours and tear apart once done! 

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Slow Cooker Chicken Pozole Verde

Serves 6
Ready in 8h 10 mins

Ingredients

• 1 lb boneless, skinless chicken thighs
  • 1 white onion, finely chopped
  • 1 poblano chili, seeded and finely chopped
  • 1 tsp chili powder
  • 1 (16 oz) jar salsa verde
  • 2 cups water
  • 2 (15 oz) cans hominy, drained and rinsed
  • 1/2 bunch cilantro
  • 1 lime, halved
Steps

• To a 4- to 5-qt slow cooker bowl, add the chicken, onion, poblano, and chili powder. Stir to combine. Pour the salsa verde and water on top. Season with salt and pepper.
  • Cover with lid and cook on low 7–8 hours or high 3½–4 hours, until chicken is fork-tender. Using tongs, transfer chicken to a medium bowl. Using 2 forks, shred chicken. Return chicken to slow cooker along with the hominy. Continue to cook 30 min. on high.
  • Finely chop the cilantro. Squeeze lime juice over pozole and stir in cilantro to serve.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Adding this here.. It's easy to make and turns out well. I used a slow cooker liner for easy clean up.

Serves 8

Ingredients
  • 3 (14.5-ounce) cans diced tomatoes
  • 1 (28-ounce) can crushed tomatoes
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 2 teaspoons dried Italian seasoning
  • 2 teaspoons kosher salt
  • 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
  • Cooking spray
  • 2 (22-ounce) bags frozen cheese ravioli (do not thaw), divided
  • 1 pound part-skim mozzarella cheese (4 cups), shredded and divided
  • Chopped fresh parsley leaves, for garnish (optional)
Instructions
  1. Place the diced tomatoes and their juices, crushed tomatoes, garlic, Italian seasoning, salt, and vinegar together in a large bowl and stir to combine.
  2. Coat a 6-quart or larger slow cooker with cooking spray. Pour 1 1/2 cups of the tomato sauce into the bottom of the slow cooker. Scatter 1/3 of the ravioli (about 3 1/2 cups) evenly over the sauce. Sprinkle 1/4 of the cheese (about 1 cup) over the ravioli. Repeat the layers of sauce, ravioli, and cheese two more times. Pour the remaining tomato sauce over the top, then sprinkle with the remaining cheese.
  3. Cover and cook on the LOW setting until the sauce bubbles, the ravioli is heated through, and the cheese melts and browns, about 8 hours. Sprinkle with the parsley if desired and serve.
Recipe Notes
Storage: Refrigerate leftovers in an airtight container for up to 4 days.
Meat variation: Brown 1 pound of ground beef, turkey, or sausage with 1 cup of diced onion and 2 cloves minced garlic on the stovetop over medium heat. Drain the fat and layer into the lasagna between the ravioli and cheese.
Jarred sauce variation: Use 3 (24-ounce) jars of good-quality pasta sauce in place of the canned diced tomatoes, crushed tomatoes, garlic, Italian seasoning, salt, and vinegar.