Recipes - Cookies

Candybee

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Blue Ribbon Sugar Cookie recipe

Not your traditional refridgerator dough cookies. These cookies are so yummy they will become your favorite go to sugar cookie recipe. This recipe makes about 5 dozen. Trust me, you will need that many the way they disappear! They are melt in your mouth soft and chewy in the inside with just the right outer crispness.

I make a ton of these for Christmas as Santa Claus cookies. Everyone loves a good sugar cookie and these are the best I have ever made!

INGREDIENTS:

3/4 cup butter softened
1 cup vegetable oil
1 cup confectioners sugar
1 1/2 cups white cane sugar
2 eggs
1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp lemon extract
4 cups all purpose flour
1 tsp cream of tartar
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
1/2 cup white cane sugar (for decoration)

DIRECTIONS:

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Sift together dry ingredients; flour, salt, baking soda, cream of tarter, and set aside.

In a large bowl, cream together the butter, oil, confectioners' sugar and white cane sugar until well blended. Mix in the eggs one at a time, and the vanilla and lemon extracts.

Gradually mix in flour mixture until well blended. At this point it helps to refridgerate dough for 30 minutes so its easier to work with.

Spoon out dough in walnut sized balls and place 2 inches apart on non stick cookie sheet. Flatten cookies to 1/4 inch thickness using the bottom of a glass dipped in sugar.

Bake for 9-10 minutes in the preheated oven or until the edges are a light golden brown. Allow cookies to cool on baking sheet 5 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely.

NOTES: Instead of sprinkling cookies with sugar I like to use sprinkles or colored sugar crystals. When sprinkling cookies with sugar or sprinkles do it while the cookies are fresh hot out of the oven before transferring them to cool on a wire rack.

I just put down wax paper on my countertops and transfer the warm cookies from the pan to the wax paper to cool. While they are still hot I sprinkle them with sugar or sprinkles.

Last edited by a moderator:

Candybee

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The last two recipe posts are my cookie recipes that were merged into this thread. Because of that the cookie names got left off. The first one is my Chewy Coconut Pecan Cookies and the second one is my Blue Ribbon Sugar Cookie recipe. Enjoy!

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm shouting and cursing because I had an AMAZING cookie recipe with four ingredients that were just...dang.
It was something like flour, butter, sugar, and eggs but I don't know the recipe or the amounts. They were like really good sugar cookies with a shortbread flair with a really great sense of simplicity....and could be dressed up with a mess of confectioners sugar, butter, milk and vanilla as a glaze.
CRAAAP.
Now I need to tear apart my recipe catalogue and share...and then bake 200 dozen to make sure they are still good b/c I don't want my TCS friends baking crappy cookies. I must taste test. For a solid week. You know, to make sure!! ;)
I also have a good recipe for sugar cookies that are soft, stay soft, and freeze well.
*diving headfirst into recipe boxes*

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Been there 1 bruce 1 1 bruce 1 In my case, I had the recipe for a seriously yummy cookie, but couldn't remember who gave it to me or where I got the recipe. I was searching all over the place and finally remembered the recipe was from Ina Garten.

Can't wait to see yours!

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thin, Crispy Chocolate Chip Cookies

Thin, Crispy Chocolate Chip Cookies is excerpted from Pastry Love: A Baker’s Journal of Favorite Recipes © 2019 by Joanne Chang. Photography © 2019 by Kristin Teig. Reproduced by permission of Houghton Mifflin Harcourt. All rights reserved.

Makes 18-20 cookies.

1 cup/ 2 sticks/ 225 grams unsalted butter, at room temperature
1 cup/ 200 grams superfine sugar
½ cup firmly packed/ 110 grams light brown sugar
1 large egg (about 50 grams), at room temperature
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
2 cups/ 280 grams all-purpose flour
1 ¼ teaspoons kosher salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
10 ounces/ 230 grams semisweet or bittersweet chocolate chips (1 ½ cups)

1. In a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, by hand with a wooden spoon, or with a handheld electric mixer, beat the butter, superfine sugar, and brown sugar on medium speed until the mixture is light and fluffy, about 5 minutes (10 minutes if mixing by hand). Stop the mixer and use a rubber spatula to scrape the sides and bottom of the bowl and the paddle a few times; the sugars and butter love to collect here and stay unmixed. Beat in the egg, 3 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon (50 grams) water, and the vanilla on medium until thoroughly combined, 2 to 3 minutes. Again scrape the bowl and the paddle to make sure the egg is thoroughly incorporated.
  2. In a medium bowl, mix together the flour, salt, and baking soda. Add the chocolate chips to the flour mixture and toss to combine. Turn the mixer to low, or continue to use a wooden spoon if mixing by hand, and slowly blend the flour-chocolate mixture into the butter-sugar mixture. Mix until the flour and chocolate are totally incorporated.
  3. For best results, scrape the dough into an airtight container and let it rest in the refrigerator for at least 3 to 4 hours or up to overnight before baking. (The unbaked dough can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 1 week.)
  4. When ready to bake, preheat the oven to 350°F and position a rack in the center of the oven. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
  5. Drop the dough in 1/4-cup balls onto the prepared baking sheet, spacing them about 2 inches apart. Press the dough down slightly with the palm of your hand. Bake for 20 to 24 minutes, rotating the baking sheet midway through the baking time, until the cookies are deep golden brown all the way through.
  6. Remove the cookies from the oven and let them cool on the baking sheet on a wire rack for 5 to 10 minutes, then transfer them to the rack and let cool completely.
  7. The cookies can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 days.

lizzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
These are the cookies I make for my hubby most of the time.In his case,they don't mess with his blood testing,and he can feel good about eating 3 or 4.You could add more sugar if you want a more sweeter cookie,but I never do.

Soft Oatmeal Cookies
1 lb. butter...I nuke in the microwave for a minute in my Tupperware mixing bowl.Then I add...
1/2 c sugar
4 T molasses
2 t salt
2 t baking soda
2 t vanilla
2 t cinnamon....mix this all together with a hand mixer.Into the bowl ...
1 grated apple,skin too (I use a rasp)
1 grated carrot (skin too,also with the rasp)
4 eggs
1 c raisins
1 c quick oatmeal....Mix with the mixer and add
4 c flour and mix with the mixer

I use a big cookie sheet lined with parchment paper,and I also use a small cookie scoop,so each cookie is less than a tablespoon of dough.
I space them about 1/2" apart and get 48 cookies per batch...there will be approximately 144 cookies when you're done.Bake at 350 for 12-15
minutes and enjoy!
I have never made these with Crisco,so I really can't say how they'd be if that's what you choose to use.I'm interested to try the plant butter
on the market now but haven't yet.

Mother Dragon

Cat slave
Top Cat
Purraise
Buried Cherry Cookies
Better Homes & Gardens Cookies for Christmas
Copyright 1985 P. 22​

These are delicious!
1 (10 oz.) jar (about 48) maraschino cherries
1 ½ C. all-purpose flour
½ C. unsweetened cocoa powder
¼ tsp. baking soda
¼ tsp. baking powder
¼ tsp. salt
½ C. butter
1 C. sugar
1 egg
1 ½ tsp. vanilla
1 (6 oz.) pkg. (1 C.) semisweet chocolate chips (not imitation)
½ C. sweetened condensed milk such as Eagle Brand (not evaporated milk)

Drain cherries well, reserving juice. Stir together flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. In a large mixer bowl, beat butter until softened. Add sugar and beat until fluffy. Add egg and vanilla and beat well. Add flour mixture and beat until well mixed.

Shape dough into 1-inch balls. Place about 2 inches apart on ungreased baking sheet. Press down center of each cookie with thumb. Place cherry in each center.

For frosting (goes on unbaked cookies), in small saucepan, combine chocolate chips and condensed milk. Cook and stir over low heat until chocolate is melted. Stir in 4 tsp. reserved cherry juice. Spoon 1 tsp. frosting over each cherry, spreading to cover cherry. Frosting can be thinned with additional cherry juice if necessary.

Bake at 350 degrees for about 10 minutes, or until done. Remove and cool.

Makes about 36 cookies.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Sharing these that I have saved :) I have made both the Harbor View chocolate chip cookies and Bittersweet Chocolate Flats. Both are really, really good. Nuts are always optional in these recipes.

From Bittersweet-chocolate brownie cookies
Bittersweet-chocolate brownie cookies
Makes 42

Refrigerate the dough for at least 30 minutes and for up to 2 hours before baking. These cookies are like brownies — dense and rich. If you have a small ice cream scoop (2 tablespoon capacity), getting the batter onto the baking sheets is easy.

1 cup flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, cut up
8 ounces semisweet chocolate, coarsely chopped
4 ounces unsweetened chocolate, coarsely chopped
4 eggs
1 cup light brown sugar
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
Confectioners’ sugar (for sprinkling)

In a bowl, whisk the flour, baking powder, and salt to blend them.
2. In a heatproof bowl, combine the butter and semisweet and unsweetened chocolates. Bring a saucepan of water to a boil. Set the bowl over the water and stir until the chocolate melts. Remove the bowl from the water and wipe the bottom. Set aside to cool slightly.
3. In another large bowl with a wooden spoon, beat the eggs with the brown and granulated sugars for 1 minute. Beat in the vanilla, followed by the chocolate mixture. Stir in the flour mixture until thoroughly combined, then the chips.
4. With a rubber spatula, scrape down the sides of the bowl. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for up to 2 hours.
5. Set the oven at 350 degrees. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper. Have on hand a small ice cream scoop with a 2-tablespoon capacity or 2 soup spoons.
6. Using the scoop or spoons, scoop mounds of batter onto the sheets, leaving 2 inches between each one. Bake the cookies for 14 minutes or until the tops are just firm when pressed with a fingertip (they will firm more as they cool).
7. Transfer the cookies to wire racks to cool completely. Layer the cookies with waxed paper in an airtight container. Sprinkle with confectioners’ sugar.

-----------------------------

From: Chocolate chocolate-chip cookies - The Boston Globe
Chocolate chocolate-chip cookies
Makes about 16 3-inch cookies

Rich, deeply chocolate, and chewy on the inside, these cookies keep extremely well. The trick is not to over bake them; take them from the oven and let them cool and they will firm up.

2 cups walnuts, pecans, or hazelnuts
1 cup flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, cut up
8 ounces semisweet chocolate, coarsely chopped
4 ounces unsweetened chocolate, coarsely chopped
1 teaspoon espresso or regular instant coffee granules
4 eggs
1 cup light brown sugar
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup semisweet chocolate chips or chopped chocolate pieces

1. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.

2. On a rimmed baking sheet, spread the nuts. Toast in the oven for 10 to 12 minutes or until you can smell the aromas; set aside to cool.

3. Meanwhile, in a bowl whisk the flour, baking powder, and salt.

4. In a double boiler over boiling water, combine the butter and semisweet and unsweetened chocolates. Cook over low heat until both melt and the mixture is smooth. Remove the mixture from the heat and stir in the coffee granules; set aside to cool slightly.

5. In an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment if you have one, or the whisk, beat the eggs with the brown and granulated sugars on medium speed for 1 minute. Beat in the chocolate mixture and vanilla until the batter is smooth.

6. Beat the flour mixture into the batter just until the dry ingredients are thoroughly combined. Remove the bowl from the mixer stand. Fold in the nuts and chocolate chips or pieces.

7. Scoop 1/3 cup of the batter onto a baking sheet, leaving 1 1/2 inches between the mounds. You should be able to get 8 cookies on a sheet. Using your fingers, pat the batter into 3-inch rounds. Do the same with more batter on the second sheet. Refrigerate both sheets for 10 minutes to firm the batter slightly.

8. Set the oven at 350 degrees.

9. Bake the cookies for 18 to 20 minutes or until the tops almost lose their sheen. Remove the cookies from the oven and leave to cool on the sheets for 20 minutes. Carefully transfer the cookies to wire racks to cool. To store: layer the cookies with waxed paper in an airtight container and store at room temperature for up to 4 days or freeze for 1 month.

----------------------------

From Harbor View chocolate chip cookies - The Boston Globe
Harbor View chocolate chip cookies

Makes 18
For this slightly smaller version of the hotel's cookies, use a 2-ounce ice cream scoop or 1/4-cup measure. Six rounds will fit on a large baking sheet.
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, at room temperature
1 cup granulated sugar
2/3 cup packed light brown sugar
2 eggs
2 1/4 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
12 ounces bittersweet or semisweet chocolate, chopped into chunks

1. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.

2. In an electric mixer, beat the butter and both sugars until light and fluffy. Beat in the eggs one at a time, followed by the vanilla.

3. In a bowl, whisk the flour, baking soda, and salt. With the mixer on low, add dry ingredients until just blended. Stir in the chocolate. Scrape down the sides of the bowl, cover with plastic wrap, and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.

4. Scoop the dough, placing 6 mounds, evenly spaced, on the sheet. Do not flatten. Refrigerate at least 30 minutes or until the dough is firm and cold.

5. Set the oven at 350 degrees. Bake for 15 to 17 minutes or until the cookies are pale golden in the center, brown around the edges. Transfer to a rack to cool. Scoop and bake the remaining dough in the same way.

Adapted from the Coach House
---------------------------

From Recipe for bittersweet chocolate flats - The Boston Globe
Bittersweet chocolate flats

Makes 2 1/2 to 3 dozen

Bliss is when a generous bar of bittersweet chocolate is chopped and mixed into a buttery dough with just enough flour, salt, and eggs to form a mixture that bakes into golden, crunchy flats. The secret ingredient, one that makes an ordinary cookie into a great one, is a small amount of apple cider vinegar. You won’t notice it. The vinegar accentuates gentle caramel overtones in the brown sugar. The dough is loaded with shards of bittersweet chocolate, which will leave messy, deep brown prints on your fingers. This is part of their freshly baked, ooze-with-chocolate charm.

2 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 teaspoon salt, preferably fine sea salt
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, at room temperature
1 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
1/2 cup granulated sugar
2 eggs
2 3/4 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
2 1/4 cups chopped bittersweet chocolate (between 60 and 65 percent cocoa)
1. Set the oven at 350 degrees. Line several baking sheets with parchment paper.

2. In a bowl, whisk the flour, baking soda, and salt just to blend them.
3. In an electric mixer, cream the butter on medium-low speed for 3 minutes. Add the light brown sugar in 2 additions, beating well after each one. Add the granulated sugar in 2 additions, beating well after each one. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating until just incorporated. Blend in the vanilla and vinegar.
3. With the mixer set on low speed, mix in the flour mixture in 2 additions, scraping down the sides of the bowl often. Remove the bowl from the mixer stand. Stir in the chocolate.
4. With a large spoon, make rounded 2 tablespoon mounds of batter and set them on the baking sheets, arranging them 3 inches apart (6 to 8 per sheet; the cookies spread).
5. Bake the cookies for 13 minutes or until set and golden. Let them stand on the sheets for 1 minute, then transfer to racks to cool. Store in an airtight tin.

-----------------------------

I believe the following recipe is from one of the America's Test Kitchen's cookbooks.

Fudgy Chocolate Chip Cookies.jpg

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Raspberry Spritz aka Jello Cookies

1 3 oz package raspberry jello dry
4 cups flour
1 1/2 cup butter ( do NOT use margarine)
1 tsp baking powder
1 cup sugar
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla

Reserve 3 tablespoons of dry jello powder and set aside.
Sift together flour and baking powder and set aside. In another bowl beat butter until creamy and then add sugar and remaining dry jello powder. Beat until fluffy. Add egg and vanilla extra and mix well. Gradually add flour mixture and mix until smooth. Using cookie press shape cookies one inch apart on an ungreased cookie sheet. Sprinkle each cookie with 1/8 tsp of reserved dry gelatin. Bake at 375 for 12-14 minutes until the cookies are set and bottom is starting to brown. Makes about 7 dozen.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
From Rich And Delicious Chocolate Meringue Cookies

Chocolate Meringue Cookies

Start to finish: 70 minutes (40 minutes active) | Makes 24 cookies

INGREDIENTS:

• 8 ounces bittersweet chocolate, finely chopped, divided 4 tablespoons (1⁄2 stick) salted butter, cut into 4 pieces 20 grams (1⁄4 cup) cocoa powder
  • 1⁄2 teaspoon instant espresso powder
  • 3 large egg whites
  • 145 grams (2⁄3 cup) packed light brown sugar 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1⁄2 teaspoon kosher salt
INSTRUCTIONS:

Heat the oven to 350°F with racks in the upper- and lower-middle positions. Line 2 baking sheets with kitchen parchment. Measure out 21⁄2 ounces (1⁄2 cup) of the chopped chocolate and set aside.

In a medium saucepan over high, bring 1 inch of water to a boil, then reduce heat to maintain a simmer. In a medium heatproof bowl, combine the remaining 51⁄2 ounces chopped chocolate, the butter, cocoa and espresso powder. Set the bowl on the saucepan over the simmering water (the bottom of bowl should not touch the water) and let the mixture melt until completely smooth, stirring often with a silicone spatula. Set aside to cool slightly; keep the saucepan and water over the heat.

In the bowl of a stand mixer, whisk together the egg whites, sugar, vanilla and salt. Set the bowl on the saucepan over the simmering water and, while whisking constantly, heat the mixture to 100°F. Attach the bowl to the mixer fitted with the whisk attachment and whip on medium-high until the mixture holds soft peaks when the whisk is lifted, 3 to 4 minutes.

Using a silicone spatula, fold 1⁄3 of the egg white mixture into the chocolate mixture until almost completely combined. Add the remaining egg whites and fold until a few streaks of white remain. Add the reserved chopped chocolate and fold gently until no white streaks remain.

Drop the batter in 2-tablespoon mounds spaced 11⁄2 inches apart on the prepared sheets. Bake until the tops have cracked but the interiors still looks moist, 12 to 14 minutes, switching and rotating the sheets halfway through. Cool on the baking sheets for 10 minutes, then transfer the cookies to a wire rack to cool completely, about 30 minutes.

Notes: Don’t omit the step of heating the egg whites and sugar over the saucepan of simmering water. This ensures the sugar fully dissolves so the cookies bake up with shiny, crisp exteriors. But also make sure you don't overheat the mixture (100°F is the ideal temperature), which can cause the whites to cook. Also, the melted chocolate mixture should still be warm when you fold in the whipped egg whites. If it has cooled and thickened, it will be impossible to fold in the whites without deflating them. If needed, before folding in the whites, return the bowl of chocolate to the saucepan and re-melt the mixture.

To ensure your whites attain the proper volume with beating, make sure the mixer bowl, whisk and the whisk attachment are perfectly clean and without any trace of grease or fat. Either Dutch- processed or natural cocoa works well in this recipe. Leftover cookies can be stored in an airtight container for up to three days; the edges will lose their crispness but the cookies will still taste good.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
This is supposedly Jill Biden's favorite cookies.

Recipe: Jill Biden’s favorite cookies are big, chunky oatmeal rounds with cranberries and chocolate

Makes 17
Very large, chunky oatmeal cookies with dried cranberries and chocolate chunks are favorites of Jill Biden. Only six mounds of dough go onto the baking sheet at once (the balls are 1/4-cup each), then they're flattened and baked until golden. The recipe comes from "Weeknights with Giada: Quick and Simple Recipes to Revamp Dinner," by Giada De Laurentiis, who also made it for the Food Network.

1cup flour
¾teaspoon ground cinnamon
½teaspoon baking powder
½teaspoon baking soda
½teaspoon fine sea salt
½cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, at room temperature
½cup light brown sugar
½cup granulated sugar
1 egg
½teaspoon vanilla extract
2cups old-fashioned rolled oats
1cup dried cranberries
1bar (4 ounces) bittersweet chocolate (60 percent), coarsely chopped into 1/4-inch chunks

1. Set the oven at 350 degrees. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper. Have on hand a 4-ounce scoop or a 1/4 cup measure.
2. In a bowl, whisk together the flour, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda, and salt to blend them.
3. In a mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, if you have one, or the whisk, beat the butter and light brown and granulated sugar for 1 minute, or until light and fluffy. Add the egg and vanilla and beat until smooth. With the machine on its lowest setting, gradually add the flour mixture, scraping down the sides of the bowl as needed.
4. Remove the bowl from the mixer stand and stir in the oats, cranberries, and chocolate just until incorporated; the dough will be stiff and a little hard to mix.
5. Use the scoop or measure to make 12 slightly rounded 2-inch mounds of dough. If any cranberries, chocolate, or oatmeal flakes fall out of the mounds, press them back in with your fingers. Place six balls of dough, spaced evenly apart, on each baking sheet. Using the heel of your hand, flatten the mounds to make even 3-inch rounds.
6. Bake for 15 to 18 minutes, switching the position of the sheets from back to front halfway through baking, or until the cookies are lightly golden. Let the cookies cool on the baking sheet for 20 minutes. Bake the remaining cookies in the same way. Store in an airtight container.
Adapted from "Weeknights with Giada"

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
A copy-cat recipe for the famous Levain Bakery chocolate chip crush cookies:

Ingredients
  • 1 cup Cold Butter cut into small cubes
  • 1 cup Brown Sugar
  • 1/2 cup Sugar
  • 2 Eggs
  • 1 1/2 cups Cake Flour*
  • 1 1/2 cups Flour
  • 1 teaspoon Cornstarch
  • 3/4 teaspoon Baking Soda
  • 3/4 teaspoon Salt
  • 2 cups Chocolate Chips
  • 2 cups Walnuts roughly chopped
Instructions
  1. Preheat oven to 410 degrees.
  2. In a large mixing bowl, cream together cold cubed butter, brown sugar, and sugar for 4 minutes or until creamy.
  3. Add eggs, one at a time, mixing well after each one.
  4. Stir in flours, cornstarch, baking soda, and salt. Mix until just combined to avoid overmixing. Stir in chocolate chips and walnuts.
  5. Separate dough into large balls and place on lightly colored cookie sheet. They are bigger than you think! You will fit 4 cookies on one large cookie sheet. The dough makes 8 extra large cookies.
  6. Bake for 9-12 minutes or until golden brown on the top. Let them rest for at least 10 minutes to set.
Recipe Notes
*can substitute all-purpose flour for cake flour
*Levain Bakery has stated they don't use vanilla extract in their cookies. If you would like to add vanilla extract, I would suggest adding 1 teaspoon when adding the eggs to the batter.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Sugar Cakes (original recipe)

1 cup shortening
2 cups sugar
3 eggs
1 cup buttermilk (or milk with lemon juice)
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 tablespoon vanilla
3 cups flour

Bake at 375 for 15 minutes (See My notes)

My notes: Cream the shortening with the sugar. Add eggs, one at a time, beating after each egg. Mix in the baking soda, followed by the vanilla. Mix in 1/3 of the flour, followed by 1/3 of the milk. Repeat and repeat again, until you've used all of the flour and milk. Spoon onto greased cookie sheets (I use parchment and I always use a scoop for drop cookies.). Sprinkle tops with coarse white sugar. Bake 10-11 minutes. I know, the original recipe states 15 minutes; in my oven, that's way too long! You may get 30 cookies or so.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Disneyland Brown Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies

INGREDIENTS:

1 cup butter (2 sticks)

1 1/4 cups brown sugar

1/4 cup granulated sugar

1 egg

1 egg yolk

1 teaspoon sea salt

1 teaspoon baking soda

1 cup chocolate chips

2 1/4 cups flour

DIRECTIONS:

Brown butter and let it cool until it begin to solidify.

Cream butter sugars and salt in a mixing bowl until light and fluffy.

Mix in whole egg, egg yolk, and vanilla.

Combine dry ingredients and mix into the batter.

Add chocolate chips.

Scoop into balls and chill thoroughly, at least an hour, preferably overnight.

Bake at 350 for seven to 10 minutes until golden brown on edges but still soft in the center.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Coffee Chocolate Chip Cookies

Yield about 1 1/2 dozen cookies

Ingredients
  • 8 tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter
  • 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 tablespoon instant espresso powder
  • 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 4 ounces semi-sweet or bittersweet chocolate feves or bars
  • 3/4 cup packed dark brown sugar
  • 1/4 cup granulated sugar
  • 1 large egg
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • Flaky salt, for topping (optional)
Instructions
  1. Cut 1 stick unsalted butter into tablespoon-size pieces and place in a small saucepan. Place over low heat until almost completely melted, about 3 minutes. Do not boil or brown the butter. Remove from the heat and stir until no solid pieces of butter remain. Set aside to cool slightly.
  2. Place 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour, 1 tablespoon instant espresso powder, 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt, 1/2 teaspoon baking powder, and 1/2 teaspoon baking soda in a medium bowl and whisk to combine. Coarsely chop 4 ounces semi-sweet or bittersweet chocolate feves.
  3. Pour the butter into a large bowl. Add 3/4 cup packed dark brown sugar and 1/4 cup granulated sugar and whisk to combine. Add 1 large egg and 1 teaspoon vanilla extract and whisk to completely incorporate. Add the flour mixture and use a rubber spatula to stir until no dry ingredients remain. Add the chocolate and fold to incorporate.
  4. Freeze the dough for 15 minutes or refrigerate at least 4 hours or up to overnight.
  5. Arrange two racks to divide the oven into thirds and heat the oven to 350°F. Line 2 rimmed baking sheets with parchment paper.
  6. Scoop out the dough with a 1 1/2-inch cookie scoop or into about 18 (2 rounded tablespoon) portions. Place the dough balls at least 2 inches apart on the prepared baking sheets (9 per baking sheet). Sprinkle with flaky salt, if desired.
  7. Bake for 6 minutes. Rotate the baking sheets from front to back and between racks and bake until the center of the cookies are puffed and appear completely set, 5 to 7 minutes more. The centers should look set and have no wet spots. Let cool on the baking sheets for 5 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack and cool completely.
Recipe Notes
Storage: Store the baked cookies in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 1 week or freeze unbaked dough balls for up to 3 months. Bake for 13 to 15 minutes total if baking from frozen.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Brookies

(part cookie, part brownie)

Makes 24 cookies
Prep time 40 minutes
Cook time 12 minutes to 15 minutes

Ingredients
For the brownie dough:
  • 1/2 cup bittersweet chocolate chips
  • 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
  • 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
  • 2 tablespoons Dutch-processed cocoa powder, such as Hershey's Special Dark
  • 1/2 teaspoon instant coffee or instant espresso granules
  • 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
  • 1/8 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
  • 1 large egg
  • 1/2 cup chopped raw walnuts (optional)
For the chocolate chip dough:
  • 5 tablespoons unsalted butter
  • 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
  • 1/4 cup granulated sugar
  • 1 large egg
  • 3/4 cup bittersweet chocolate chips
  • Cooking spray
Instructions
  1. Cut the 5 tablespoons unsalted butter for the chocolate chip dough into 1/2-inch pieces and let sit at room temperature until softened, about 1 hour.
Make the brownie dough:
  1. Place 1/2 cup bittersweet chocolate chips and 2 tablespoons unsalted butter in a small microwave-safe bowl. Microwave on High for 1 minute. Stir until completely melted and smooth, microwaving for 20 seconds more if needed. (Alternatively, melt together on the stovetop over low heat.)
  2. Place 1/3 cup all-purpose flour, 2 tablespoons Dutch cocoa powder, 1/2 teaspoon instant coffee granules, 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt, and 1/8 teaspoon baking soda in a small bowl and whisk to combine.
  3. Place 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons granulated sugar and 1 large egg in a large bowl and whisk until lemon yellow-colored and the sugar has dissolved, about 1 1/2 minutes. Add the melted chocolate mixture and whisk to combine. Add the flour mixture and fold with a rubber spatula until just combined. Add 1/2 cup chopped walnuts, if using, and fold to combine.
  4. Refrigerate for 20 minutes. Meanwhile, arrange 2 racks to divide the oven into thirds and heat the oven to 375°F. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper. Make the chocolate chip dough.
Make the chocolate chip dough:
  1. Place 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour, 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, and 1/4 teaspoon baking soda in a medium bowl and whisk to combine.
  2. Place the softened butter, 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar, and 1/4 cup granulated sugar in a stand mixer (or in a large bowl if using an electric hand mixer). Beat on medium speed until combined, about 1 minute. Add 1 large egg and 1 teaspoon vanilla extract and beat until combined, 2 to 3 minutes. Add the flour mixture and beat on low speed until just combined.
  3. Add 3/4 cup bittersweet chocolate chips and fold in by hand with a rubber spatula until just combined. Refrigerate until the brownie dough is ready, at least 10 minutes.
  4. Scoop out the chocolate chip dough into 24 (about 1-tablespoon) portions and place on the baking sheets, 12 per sheet. Repeat with scooping out the brownie dough into 24 portions, placing each one next to a portion of the chocolate chip dough.
  5. Coat your hands lightly with cooking spray. Working quickly, gently roll each brownie and chocolate chip portion of the dough together with your hands to form 24 half-and-half dough balls. Arrange them at least 2-inches apart on the baking sheets. For the best-looking cookies, make sure they are placed with a “seam” of the light and dark doughs facing up.
  6. Bake for 7 minutes. Rotate the baking sheets from front to back and between racks. Bake until the edges of the chocolate chip side are golden brown and the brownie half is cracked on top, 5 to 8 minutes more. Let cool for a few minutes on the baking sheet, then transfer the cookies to a wire cooling rack and let cool completely.
Recipe Notes
Using natural cocoa powder: Natural cocoa powder can be substituted for the Dutch cocoa powder, but the brownie dough will not be as dark and will have a more intense chocolate flavor.
Make ahead: Once formed, freeze the half-and-half cookie dough balls on a baking sheet until solid, then transfer to a zip top freezer bag and freeze for up to 2 months. Bake from frozen, adding 2 to 3 minutes to the baking time.
Storage: Baked cookies can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 1 week.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Vegan Double Chocolate Cookies Recipe

Makes 22 to 24 (2 3/4-inch) cookies
Prep time 15 minutes
Cook time 20 minutes to 25 minutes

Ingredients
  • 10 tablespoons (1 1/4 sticks) vegan stick butter
  • 3 ounces vegan dark chocolate (70 to 75% cocoa)
  • 1/2 cup toasted walnuts (optional)
  • 1 2/3 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1/3 cup Dutch-processed unsweetened cocoa powder
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon instant espresso powder (optional)
  • 2/3 cup packed light brown sugar
  • 1/3 cup granulated sugar
  • 1/4 cup unsweetened non-dairy milk, such as almond, oat, or soy
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • 2/3 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
  • 1/4 cup cocoa nibs (optional)
  • Flaky salt, for sprinkling
Instructions
  1. Cut 10 tablespoons vegan butter into 10 pieces. Place in the bowl of a stand mixer (or large bowl if using an electric hand mixer) and let sit at room temperature until softened, about 1 hour.
  2. Break 3 ounces vegan dark chocolate into large pieces with your hands and place on a cutting board. Chop into pieces no larger than 1/2 inch (about 2/3 cup). If using walnuts, chop 1/2 cup toasted walnuts into pieces the same size.
  3. Sift 1 2/3 cups all-purpose flour, 1/3 cup Dutch-processed cocoa powder, 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder, and 1/4 teaspoon instant espresso powder if using into a medium bowl. Add 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt and whisk to combine.
  4. Add 2/3 cup packed light brown sugar and 1/3 cup granulated sugar to the vegan butter. Beat with the paddle attachment on medium speed until creamy, about 2 minutes. Scrape down the sides of the bowl with a rubber spatula. Add 1/4 cup unsweetened non-dairy milk and 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract and beat until well-combined (it will look curdled), about 1 minute.
  5. Add the flour mixture and mix on low speed just until most of the flour is incorporated. Add the chopped chocolate, walnuts, 2/3 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips, and 1/4 cup cocoa nibs if using. Scrape down the sides of the bowl with the spatula and mix by hand just until combined. The dough will be thick and sticky like chocolate frosting.
  6. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap or a silicone lid and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes or up to 24 hours.
  7. Arrange 2 racks to divide the oven into thirds and heat the oven to 375ºF. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper or silicone baking mats.
  8. Scoop the dough out in 2-tablespoon portions or with a #30 cookie scoop (about 1 1/4 ounces or 34 grams each). Roll each portion into a ball with your hands. Place on the baking sheets, spacing them at least 2 inches apart, 9 per baking sheet. Flatten each ball slightly with your hand until a scant 2 inches wide. Sprinkle the cookies with a little flaky salt. Refrigerate any remaining cookie dough.
  9. Bake for 5 minutes. Rotate the baking sheets between racks and from front to back. Bake until the cookies have spread, are set around the edges, and the centers are no longer shiny, 4 to 7 minutes more (do not overbake so you get a chewy, almost brownie-like texture).
  10. Let the cookies cool on the baking sheets for 5 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack and let cool completely. Repeat baking the remaining cookie dough on a cooled baking sheet (you can reuse the parchment or mat).
Recipe Notes
Make ahead: The dough can be made up to 1 day ahead and refrigerated until ready to shape and bake. Alternatively, form the cookie dough into balls, flatten, and sprinkle with flaky salt. Freeze on the baking sheet until solid. Transfer to a zip-top freezer bag and freeze for up to 3 months. Bake the cookies directly from frozen, adding a few minutes to the bake time.
Smaller cookies: If you prefer smaller cookies, make 1 -tablespoon cookie dough balls and bake for about 8 minutes per batch.
Vegan butter substitute: These cookies can be made with refined coconut oil instead of vegan butter. Swap the butter for melted coconut oil and make sure all of the ingredients are at room temperature before beginning. Once the dough is made, skip chilling. Form into balls, place on the baking sheet, flatten slightly, and sprinkle with salt. Freeze on the baking sheet for 10 to 15 minutes, then bake for 10 to 12 minutes.
Gluten-free: To make the cookies gluten-free, swap the flour for a one to one all-purpose gluten-free flour blend.
Storage: The cookies will keep in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 4 days.

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
I’ve made this recipe several times, and it’s incredibly easy. The cookies are perfect with coffee! (As you can tell, the recipe is from San Francisco Bay Coffee Company.) I know it says sugar cookies, but they’re really shortbread cookies. I usually make half the recipe, although this week I made the whole recipe, baked half, and froze the other half.

Coffee Sugar Cookies

A great gift from the kitchen, this dough may be prepared up to a week ahead and baked just before gifting!

Prep time: 10 minutes
Chill time: Several hours
Cook time: 10 to 12 minutes

INGREDIENTS
  • 1 cup chocolate chips
  • 3 cups flour
  • 1/2 cup powdered sugar
  • 3 tablespoons very finely ground San Francisco Bay Coffee French Roast, French Vanilla or Hazelnut Creme (espresso grind)
  • 1 cup butter, softened

INSTRUCTIONS
1. Place chocolate chips in a microwave-safe bowl. Microwave on HIGH for 1 minute, stirring every 15 seconds. Microwave for 10 to 15 seconds more or until chocolate is almost fully melted; stir until melted. Let cool slightly.

2. Stir together flour, powdered sugar and coffee in a large bowl.

3. Add chocolate and butter and mix well (using your hands works best).

4. When a smooth dough forms, divide into 2 pieces. Shape each into a 1 1/2-inch in diameter log and wrap tightly in plastic wrap. Chill for several hours or until firm. (May be prepared up to 1 week ahead and stored tightly covered in the refrigerator.)

5. Preheat oven to 350°F and line two large baking sheets with parchment paper.

6. Cut cookie dough into 1/4-inch-thick slices and place on prepared baking sheets. Bake for 10 minutes or until firm to the touch. Let cool completely. Store in an airtight container.

Tip:
Dough may be easier to slice if left at room temperature for 15 minutes after refrigerating.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Strawberry season is starting soon 🍓 Here's a recipe to use up your bounty :)

Makes 16 to 18 cookies
Prep time 15 minutes
Cook time 15 minutes

Ingredients
  • 8 tablespons (1 stick) unsalted butter
  • 1 large egg
  • 8 ounces strawberries
  • 1 cup packed light brown sugar
  • 1 1/2 cups quick-cooking oats
  • 1 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
  • 3/4 cup white chocolate chips, divided
Instructions
  1. Place 1 stick unsalted butter in the bowl of a stand mixer (or large bowl if using an electric hand mixer). Place 1 large egg on the counter. Let both sit at room temperature until the butter is softened.
  2. Arrange 2 racks to divide the oven into thirds and heat the oven to 350°F. Meanwhile, line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper. Trim and finely chop 8 ounce strawberries until you have 1 cup.
  3. Add 1 cup packed light brown sugar to the bowl of butter. Beat with the paddle attachment on medium speed until fluffy, about 2 minutes. Add the egg and 1 teaspoon vanilla extract and beat until combined, about 1 minute.
  4. Place 1 1/2 cups quick-cooking rolled oats, 1 cup all-purpose flour, 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, 1/2 teaspoon baking soda, and 1/4 teaspoon baking powder in a medium bowl and stir to combine. With the mixer on the lowest speed, gradually add the flour mixture to the butter mixture and beat until just combined, about 1 minute.
  5. Add the strawberries and 1/2 cup of the white chocolate chips to the batter and fold in with a flexible spatula until just combined.
  6. Divide the dough into 16 to 18 (about 3 scant tablespoon) portions. Form into balls and place on the baking sheets, spacing them even apart. Lightly press down on each dough ball until about 2 inches wide. Sprinkle with the remaining 1/4 cup white chocolate chips, then press lightly on them so they adhere.
  7. Bake for 8 minutes. Rotate the baking sheets from top to bottom and front to back. Continue to bake until golden-brown and no longer shiny, about 7 minutes more. Let cool on the baking sheets for 5 minutes. Transfer the cookies to wire racks and let cool completely.
Recipe Notes
Storage: The cookies can be refrigerated in an airtight container for up to 1 week or frozen for up to 3 months.