1/2 c. butter or margarine
1/4 tsp. salt
1-1/2 c. sugar
2 Tbsp. sugar
2 eggs
2 tsp. cinnamon
2-3/4 c. flour
2 tsp. cream of tartar

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Mix shortening, 1-1/2 cups sugar, and eggs thoroughly. Blend flour, cream of tartar, soda, and salt; stir into shortening mixture. Shape dough into one-inch balls. Roll each ball into mixture of 2 tablespoons sugar and 2 teaspoons cinnamon. Place 2 inches apart on ungreased cookie sheets. Bake 8 to 10 minutes. Cool on wire rack.
google_ad_section_end

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
From The Modern Baker by Nick Malgieri

Caramel Crumb Bars

Dough

8 oz unsalted butter (2 sticks), softened
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla extract
2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour, divided (keep 1/4 cup for crumbs)

Filling

4 Tbsp unsalted butter
1 Tbsp light corn syrup
1/4 cup dark brown sugar, firmly packed
14 oz can sweetened, condensed milk

One 9 x 13 x 2 inch pan, buttered and lined fully (bottom and sides) with buttered parchment or foil

Set rack in lowest level of oven and preheat to 350 degrees.

For the dough, beat the butter, sugar and salt in an electric mixer with the paddle attachment on medium speed until soft and light, 2-3 minutes. Add the vanilla.

On lowest speed, beat in 2-1/4 cups flour, scraping the bowl and paddle with a rubber spatula, continuing to mix until the dough is smooth, and the flour has been absorbed.

Remove the bowl from the mixer and scrape 3/4 of the dough into the prepared pan. Using your palm, press the dough down evenly, without compressing it too much. Chill the dough lined pan. Work the remaining 1/4 cup flour into the remaining dough with your fingertips, so that it forms 1/8-1/4 inch crumbs. Set aside at room temperature.

For the filling, in a medium saucepan, combine all filling ingredients and simmer, stirring occasionally. All the mixture to boil gently, stirring often, until it starts to thicken and darken slightly, about 10 minutes. Pour into a stainless steel bowl to cool for 5 minutes.

Remove the dough lined pan from the refrigerator and scrape the cooled filling onto the dough, using a small offset spatula to spread the filling evenly on the dough. Scatter the crumb mixture on the filling.

Bake until the filling is bubbling gently and is a deep caramel color and the dough and crumb topping are baked through, about 30 minutes.

Cool in the pan on a rack until lukewarm, 15-20 minutes. Lift the slab of baked dough out of the pan and onto a cutting board before it has cooled completely. Cut the slab into 2-inch squares.

google_ad_section_end

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
Dear heaven, these are good! Store them in the refrigerator so the chocolate doesn't melt.

Killer Toffee Bars

2 sticks butter, room temperature
1 cup packed light brown sugar
1 egg, room temperature
1/2 tsp. vanilla
1 cup flour
1/4 tsp. salt
6 plain Hershey chocolate bars (or your chocolate of choice)
1/2 cup chopped walnuts or toasted pecans
Heath Bars to crumble over the top

Preheat oven to 325 degrees.

Sift together flour and salt. Cream butter with sugar. Add egg and vanilla and beat well. Add flour mixture and mix well.

Spread on greased jelly roll pan (10 x 15 inches). The batter will seem skimpy, but it will bake up. Bake 20 to 25 minutes.

Remove from oven and immediately place Hershey bars on top. Let the bars sit on the cookies about 10 minutes....Hershey bars maintain their shape, but even though they don't looked melted, they are. Spread the chocolate evenly over the pan. Sprinkle walnut or pecans over the chocolate. If desired, crumble two or three Health bars over the chocolate, too.....to take them "over the top".

Cool slightly, then cut into bars while still barely warm. You must store these cookies in the refrigerator so the chocolate doesn't melt. Mmmmmm

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
I brought these into work one morning. When a co-worker bit into one and murmured, "Oh my god," I figured they were worth posting the recipe. They're from Nancy Baggett's The All American Cookie Book.

Brown Sugar-Pecan Sticky Bars

1 cup old-fashioned rolled oats
1/4 cup hot water
1-1/4 cups packed light brown sugar
3/4 cup (1-1/2 sticks) butter, slightly softened
1/8 tsp. salt
1 large egg
1-1/4 tsp. vanilla
1-1/3 cups AP flour
1 cup chopped pecans
3/4 cup shredded or flaked sweetened coconut

Topping:
3/4 cup chopped pecans
1/4 cup unsalted butter, cut into chunks
2/3 cup packed light brown sugar
Pinch of salt
1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
2-1/2 Tbsp. light corn syrup
1 tsp. vanilla

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Generously grease a 13 x 9-inch baking pan.

In a small bowl, thoroughly stir together the oats and the hot water; set aside.

In a large bowl, with an electric mixer on medium speed, beat together the brown sugar, butter, and salt until fluffy. And the egg and vanilla and beat until evenly incorporated. Beat or stir in the flour and the oat mixture until well blended. Fold in the pecans and coconut. Turn out the mixture into the baking pan, spreading to the edges.

Bake in the upper third of the oven for 25 to 30 minutes, or until the top is nicely browned and the toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Transfer the pan to a wire rack and let stand until cooled to warm, about 5 minutes.

Meanwhile, make the Topping. While the crust is cooling, in a 2-quart heavy saucepan, combine the pecans and butter. Bring to a simmer over medium-high heat and cook, stirring constantly, for 3-4 minutes, or until the butter is lightly browned. Be careful that it does not burn. Using a long-handled wooden spoon, carefully stir in the brown sugar, salt, cream, and corn syrup until evenly incorporated. Return to a boil and boil briskly, stirring constantly, for exactly two minutes. Remove from heat and stir in vanilla.

Immediately spread the topping over the still-warm crust. Let stand until completely cooled.

Using a large, sharp knife, cut the slab into 24 bars. Before each cut dip the knife in hot water and dry off.

Store in an airtight container for up to 1 week or freeze for up to 1 month. If freezing, leave the whole thing whole, then cut when partially thawed.

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
This is from Reimen Publications....2005 Contest Winning Annual Recipes

Peanut Butter Sandwich Cookies

1 cup butter-flavored shortening
1 cup creamy peanut butter
1 cup sugar
1 cup packed brown sugar
1 tsp vanilla
3 eggs
3 cups AP flour
2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp salt

Filling:
1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
3 cups confectioners' sugar
1 tsp. vanilla
5-6 Tbsp. milk

In a mixing bowl, cream shortening, peanut butter and sugars. Add vanilla. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Combine flour, baking soda, and salt and add to creamed mixture.

Shape into 1-inch balls and place 2 inches apaprt on ungreased sheets. Flatten to 3/8-inch with a fork. Bake at 375 degrees for 7-8 minutes or until golden. Cool on wire racks.

In a mixing bowl, beat filling ingredients until smooth. Spread of half of the cookies and top each with another cookies. Yield: About 4 dozen.

Note: I know the recipe says to use creamy peanut butter. In our house, there's no such thing. If it's not chunky, it's not worth buying. I used chunky and they were fine. In fact, you're likely going to get lots of compliments from these cookies!
google_ad_section_end

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
Lemon Sponge Cake Cookies

1 cup butter or margarine, softened
1-1/2 cups sugar
8 eggs
2 Tbsp. lemon extract
4 cups flour
1/4 cup baking powder

Frosting:
1/2 cup butter or margarine, softened
3-3/4 cups confectioners’ sugar
1 tsp. lemon extract
1/8 tsp. salt
3-4 Tbsp. milk
Food coloring, optional
4 cups flaked coconut, optional

In a mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in extract. Combine flour and baking powder; gradually add to the creamed mixture. Drop by teaspoonfuls about 3 inches apart onto ungreased baking sheets. Bake at 400 degrees for 6-8 minutes or until the edges are just slightly browned. Remove to wire racks to cool.

In a mixing bowl, cream butter, sugar, extract, and salt. Add enough milk to achieve a spreading consistency. Tint with food coloring if desired. Frost cooled cookies. Sprinkle with coconut, if you like. About 11 dozen cookies.
NOTE: The amount of baking powder is correct.

google_ad_section_end

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
Applesauce Brownies

2 cups flour
2 tsp. baking soda
3/4 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 tsp. cloves
1/4 tsp. nutmeg
1/2 cup soft butter
1 cup sugar
1 egg
1 tsp. vanilla
1-1/2 cups applesauce
1 cup chopped nuts
Confectioners’ sugar

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 13 x 9-inch pan. Sift flour with soda, cinnamon, cloves, and nutmeg and set aside. Cream butter with sugar until light and fluffy. Add egg and vanilla and beat well. Beat in flour mixture just to combine. Stir in applesauce, nuts and raisins. Turn into prepared pan. Bake 20 to 25 minutes. Cool on wire rack, then sprinkle with confectioners’ sugar. Cut into squares.

google_ad_section_end

Last edited:

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
Raisin Puffs

2 cups raisins
1 cup water
1-1/2 cups sugar
1 cup shortening
2 eggs
1 tsp. vanilla
3 cups flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
Granulated sugar

Combine raisins and water in saucepan. Bring to boil, then turn heat down. Simmer until water is evaporated. Cool. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Cream together the sugar and shortening. Add the eggs and vanilla and combine well. Combine flour, soda, and salt, then add to the wet mixture and mix. Add raisins and combine well.

Form dough into balls the size of walnuts. Roll in granulated sugar. Baked on ungreased cookie sheet for 12 to 15 minutes. About 6 dozen cookies.

google_ad_section_end

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
Macaroon Kiss Cookies

1/3 cup butter, softened
3 oz. cream cheese, softened
3/4 cup sugar
1 egg yolk
2 tsp. almond extract
2 tsp. orange juice
1-1/4 cups flour
2 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. salt
14 oz. flaked coconut
54 chocolate kisses

Cream butter, cream cheese, and sugar until fluffy. Add egg yolk, almond extract, and orange juice; beat well. Combine dry ingredients; gradually add to creamed mixture. Stir in 3 cups coconut. Cover and chill one hour. Shape into 1-inch balls and roll in remaining coconut. Place on ungreased cookie sheets.

Bake at 350 degrees for 10 to 13 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove from oven and place unwrapped kiss on top. Cool one minute then remove to rack.
NOTE: You can also use 1/2 maraschino cherry on each cookie instead of the kiss.

google_ad_section_end

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
Chocolate-Cranberry White Chunk Cookies

Preparation Time: 15 minutes
Start to Finish Time: 45 minutes
Yield: 3 dozen

• 2 cups all-purpose flour
• 1 cup Dutch process cocoa
• 1 teaspoon baking soda
• 1/2 teaspoon kosher or sea salt
• 1 cup (2 sticks) plus 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
• 3/4 cup sugar
• 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
• 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
• 2 eggs
• 1 4-ounce good-quality white chocolate baking bar, cut into small chunks (about 3/4 cup)
• 3/4 cup macadamia nuts, chopped
• 1 cup dried cranberries

Heat oven to 350°. Sift flour, cocoa, baking soda, and salt into a mixing bowl. In a separate bowl, with an electric mixer, beat butter, sugar, brown sugar, and vanilla extract until creamy, about 1 minute. Beat in eggs one at a time until well incorporated. Add flour mixture one cup at a time and mix on low speed until just incorporated. Stir in white chocolate, nuts, and cranberries. Drop by rounded tablespoonful onto ungreased baking sheets. Bake 11 to 12 minutes, until cookies have risen but centers are soft. Let cool slightly, then remove to wire racks to cool completely.

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
The Ultimate Chocolate Chip Cookie

• 11 1/2 ounce(s) 60% Cacao Bittersweet Chocolate Chips
• 6 ounces milk chocolate chips
• 2 1/4 cup(s) unsifted flour
• 1 teaspoon(s) baking soda
• 1/2 teaspoon(s) teaspoon salt
• 1 cup(s) (2 sticks) butter
• 3/4 cup(s) sugar
• 3/4 cup(s) packed brown sugar
• 2 eggs
• 2 teaspoon(s) vanilla
• 1 cup(s) chopped walnuts or pecans (optional)

Directions
Preheat oven to 375ºF. Stir flour with baking soda and salt; set aside. In large mixer bowl, cream butter with sugar, brown sugar, eggs, and vanilla. Gradually blend dry mixture into creamed mixture. Stir in nuts and chocolate chips. Drop 1 tablespoon of dough per cookie onto ungreased cookie sheets.
Bake at 375ºF for 9 to 11 minutes or until golden brown.

lotso'cats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I've always loved shortbread cookies and have found some great recipes over the years.

This is a great simple shortbread cookie.

Shortbread Cookie

1 cup (2 sticks) (226 grams) unsalted butter, room temperature

1/2 cup (60 grams) powdered (confectioners) sugar **I recommend using regular granulated sugar. Makes the cookie taste better.

1 teaspoon (4 grams) pure vanilla extract

2 cups (280 grams) all-purpose flour

1/4 teaspoon (2 grams) salt

In a separate bowl whisk the flour with the salt. Set aside.

In the bowl of your electric mixer cream the butter (about 1 minute). Add the sugar and beat until smooth (about 2 minutes). Stir in the vanilla extract. Gently stir in the flour mixture until just incorporated. Flatten the dough into a disk shape, wrap in plastic wrap, and chill the dough for at least an hour.

Preheat oven to 300 degrees F (150 degrees C) with the rack in the middle of the oven. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.

On a lightly floured surface roll out dough to 1/2 inch (1.25 cm) thick. Cut into rounds or whatever shapes you wish using lightly floured cookie cutters. Place on the prepared baking sheet and place in the refrigerator for about 15 minutes. This will firm up the dough so the cookies will maintain their shape when baked. Bake for 20 minutes, or until cookies are dry but not brown. (The bottoms of the cookie will be lightly browned.) Cool on rack.

I found a great chocolate shortbread cookie recipe. It does cook a little thin but if you have a shortbread pan it might work better for it.

Chocolate Shortbread

INGREDIENTS

1/4 cup butter (no substitutes), softened

1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract

1/2 cup all-purpose flour

1/4 cup sugar

1 to 2 tablespoons baking cocoa
DIRECTIONS

In a mixing bowl, cream the butter. Add vanilla and mix well. Combine flour, sugar and cocoa; add to creamed mixture. Beat until dough holds together, about 3 minutes. Pat into a 9-in. x 4-in. rectangle. Cut into 2-in. x 1-1/2-in. strips. Place 1 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Prick with a fork. Bake at 300° for 20-25 minutes or until set. Cool for 5 minutes; remove to a wire rack to cool completely.

I tried these cinnamon shortbread cookies a few years ago they are very good.

Cinnamon Shortbread

So quick, easy, and makes the house smell sooo good! This is my
favorite shortbread and I'm often asked for the recipe.

For large groups, fund-raisers, and the holidays fragrant, appealing
Cinnamon Shortbread is a crowd pleaser that's quick to make. Scottish in origin, shortbread gets its name from the fact that the dough is very "short," or rich in butter. A purist's cookie, it is traditionally made without eggs - something that's handy to remember when you're out of eggs.

Ingredients
2 cups all-purpose flour
3 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup (2 sticks} unsalted butter, softened
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 9- by 13-inch rectangular pan.

In a small bowl, whisk the flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt together; set aside. In a large bowl, with an electric mixer on low speed, cream the butter, sugar, and brown sugar together. Add the vanilla extract. Gradually blend the flour mixture into the butter mixture.

Press the dough evenly into the bottom of the pan. Decoratively score the dough with a fork or small knife, if you wish. Bake in the center of the oven for about 20 to 25 minutes, or until golden brown around the edges. Let cool completely before cutting into 2- by 2-1/2-inch bars. Store in an airtight container.

Makes 30 bars

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
I found this on a board several months ago. The recipe sounded good, so I tried it. But then I couldn't remember what board I found it on. I never did figure that out, but, after I searched the title online, it turns out that the recipe is originally from Ina's Back to Basics cookbook.

I used chocolate chips in place of the raisins. Still a really, really good cookie! My cookies were done in exactly 13 minutes.

Raisin Pecan Oatmeal Cookies

Makes 30 to 35 cookies

1-1/2 cups pecans
1/2 pound (2 sticks) unsalted butter, at room temperature
1 cup dark brown sugar, lightly packed
1 cup granulated sugar
2 extra-large eggs, at room temperature
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon kosher salt
3 cups old-fashioned oatmeal
1-1/2 cups raisins

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.

Place the pecans on a sheet pan and bake for 5 minutes, until crisp. Set aside to cool. Chop very coarsely.

In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat the butter, brown sugar, and granulated sugar together on medium-high speed until light and fluffy. With the mixer on low, add the eggs, one at a time, and the vanilla.

Sift the flour, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt together into a medium bowl. With the mixer on low, slowly add the dry ingredients to the butter mixture. Add the oats, raisins, and pecans and mix just until combined.

Using a small ice-cream scoop or a tablespoon, drop 2-inch mounds of dough onto sheet pans lined with parchment paper. Flatten slightly with a damp hand. Bake for 12 to 15 minutes, until lightly browned. Transfer the cookies to a baking rack and cool completely.

Note: For larger cookies, drop 3-inch mounds and bake for 20 minutes. For chewier cookies, allow them to cool on the pan.

Last edited by a moderator:

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
From Nancy Baggett's All-American Cookie Book. Such a good cookie!!

Peanut Butter-Chocolate Chunkers

2-1/2 cups all-purpose white flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1-1/4 cups smooth or crunchy peanut butter
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, slightly, softened
1-1/2 cups packed light brown sugar
2/3 cup sugar
2 large eggs
1 tablespoon light corn syrup
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
10 oz. bittersweet (not unsweetened) or semisweet chocolate, chopped (divided)
About 1/2 cup chopped unsalted peanuts, for topping

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease several baking sheets or coat with nonstick spray.

In a medium bowl, thoroughly stir together the flour, baking soda, and salt; set aside. In a large bowl, with an electric mixer on medium speed, beat together the peanut butter, butter, brown sugar, and sugar until very well blended and fluffy, about 2 minutes. Add the eggs, corn syrup, and vanilla and beat until well blended. Beat or stir in the flour mixture until evenly incorporated. Stir in 1 cup of the chopped chocolate. Let the dough stand for 5 minutes, or until firmed up slightly.

Shape portions of the dough into 1-3/4 inch balls with lightly greased hands. In a small bowl, stir together the remaining chocolate and the peanuts. Dip one half of each ball into the chocolate-peanut mixture until some bits are embedded. Place the balls, coated side up, on the baking sheets, spacing about 2-3/4 inches apart. Pat down the tops of the balls just slightly.

Bake the cookies,one sheet at a time, in the upper third of the oven for 13 to 16 minutes, or until lightly browned all over, slightly darker at the edges, and slightly soft when pressed in the centers. Reverse the sheet from front to back halfway through baking to ensure even browning.

Transfer the sheet to a wire rack and let stand until the cookies firm up slightly, 1 to 2 minutes. Using a spatula, transfer the cookies to wire racks. Let stand until completely cooled.

Store in an airtight container for up to 1 week or freeze for up to 1-1/2 months.

Makes about 35 (3-1/2 inch) cookies. google_ad_section_end

NOTE: You can use chocolate chips in place of the chocolate, if you like.

Last edited:

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
From Great Cookies by Carole Walter, these cookies are not real sweet. But they are good!

Sesame Coins

1-1/2 cups flour, spooned in and leveled
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. salt
3/4 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
1-1/4 cups strained confectioners' sugar, spooned in and leveled
2 large egg whites, divided
1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
1 tsp. sesame oil
2/3 cup toasted sesame seeds

Strain together the flour, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.

In the large bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, mix butter on medium-low speed until creamy and lightened in color. Add the confectioners' sugar and beat for 1-2 minutes, until smooth. Blend in one egg white, then the vanilla and sesame oil.

Reduce the mixer speed to low and add the dry ingredients in three additions, mixing just until well combined after each addition. Loosely cover the dough with a sheet of wax paper and chill for at least one hour before shaping.

Position the racks in the upper and lower thirds of the oven. Heat oven to 375 degrees. Moderately butter the cookie sheets or line with parchment.

Lightly beat the remaining egg white with 1 teaspoon water in a low, flat dish. Place the sesame seeds in another low dish. Take small pieces of dough and roll between your palms into 1/4-inch balls. Toss each ball of dough in egg white, then roll in sesame seeds. Place on the cookie sheets about 1-1/2 inches apart. Using a flat-bottomed glass dipped in sugar, flatten to about 1-1/2 inches in diameter.

Bake for 9-10 minutes or until the edges are golden brown. Rotate the pans top to bottom and front to back toward the end of the baking time. Remove from oven and let stand 2-3 minutes before loosening with a thin spatula. Cool on wire racks. About 4 dozen cookies.

Store in an airtight container, layered between strips of waxed paper for up to 3 weeks. These cookies may be frozen.

Note: Watch the cookies. Mine were golden brown around the edges in about 8 minutes. The first batch I left in for 9 minutes and they got too brown.
google_ad_section_end

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
Frosted Peanut Butter Fingers

1 cup butter, softened
1-1/2 cups brown sugar, packed
1 cup granulated sugar
2-1/2 cups creamy peanut butter, divided
1 egg
1-1/2 tsp. vanilla
2-1/2 cups quick-cooking oats
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
Chocolate Frosting:
6 Tbsp. butter
4 cups confectioners' sugar
1/2 cup baking cocoa
1 tsp. vanilla
6-8 Tbsp. milk

In a mixing bowl, cream butter and sugars. Add 1 cup peanut butter, egg and vanilla and mix well. Combine oats, flour, baking soda and salt; add to the creamed mixture. Spread into a greased 15 x 10 x 1-inch baking pan.

Bake at 350 degrees for 13-17 minutes or until golden brown. Cool slightly on a wire rack, about 12 minutes. Spread with remaining peanut butter. Cool completely.

In a mixing bowl, combine the butter, confectioners' sugar, cocoa, vanilla and enough milk to achieve spreading consistency. Spoon over peanut butter layer, then spread. Cut into bars. Makes about 3 dozen.

Do NOT use reduced-fat or generic brands of peanut butter in this recipe.

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
I got this recipe from my DIL....it's from a peanut butter cookbook that we gave her for Christmas last year. She wanted me to try them....and they are quite good. Rick is a big Snickerdoodles fan and these were perfect for him. It's a keeper.

Peanut Butter Snickerdoodles

2 cups all purpose flour
2 tsp. cream of tartar
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt, optional
3/4 cup creamy peanut butter
1/2 cup Crisco shortening
2 cups sugar, divided
2 large eggs, room temperature
1 Tbsp vanilla
2 tsp. cinnamon

Whisk flour, cream of tartar, baking soda and salt in a large bowl. Set aside.

Beat peanut butter and shortening on medium speed until light and fluffy, about one minute. Add 1-3/4 cups sugar and continue beating until the color lightens. Beat in eggs, one at a time, scraping the bowl occasionally.

Turn off mixer. Add all the flour mixture at one time. Beat on low until dough is smooth. Do not overbeat. Set the dough aside for 10 minutes.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line sheets with parchment paper. Mix the remaining 1/4 cup sugar with the cinnamon in a small bowl.

Using a tablespoon, make balls. Roll in the cinnamon-sugar mixture and place about 3 inches apart on the prepared sheets. Bake 13-15 minutes, until lightly browned and slightly flattened, but still puffy. Cool on the baking sheet about 2 minutes, then remove to a rack to cool completely. Replace parchment for each batch of cookies. Makes 36 cookies.

google_ad_section_end

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
My son's absolute favorite cookie.....bar none!

Chocolate Crinkles

½ cup vegetable oil
2 cups flour
4 squares unsweetened chocolate, melted
2 tsp. baking powder
2 cups granulated sugar
½ tsp. salt
4 eggs
2 tsp. vanilla

1 cup confectioners’ sugar

Mix all oil, chocolate, and granulated sugar. Blend in one egg at a time until mixed. Add vanilla. Stir flour, baking powder, and salt into oil mixture. Chill several hours or overnight.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Drop teaspoons of dough in confectioners’ sugar. Roll dough in sugar and shape into balls. Place 2 inches apart on greased cookie sheets. Bake 10 to 12 minutes. Do not over bake!
google_ad_section_end
google_ad_section_end

Last edited:

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
If you like sugar cookies, but don't like to roll out dough, try this recipe.

Drop Sugar Cookies

2 cups sugar
1 cup shortening
3 eggs
1 Tbsp. vinegar dissolved in 1 cup milk
4-1/2 cups flour
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. cream of tartar
1 tsp. vanilla

Preheat oven to 375 degrees or 400 degrees. Cream together sugar, shortening, eggs, and milk. Add remaining ingredients; combine thoroughly. Drop by teaspoons on to cookie sheet and sprinkle with sugar. Bake 8-10 minutes.

google_ad_section_end

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise

From the King Arthur Cookie Companion (I just love this cookbook!)

Brown Sugar Cinnamon Biscotti

6 Tablespoons, unsalted butter, at room temperature
2/3 cup brown sugar (packed)
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
2 large eggs
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 cup cinnamon chips
1 cup chopped walnuts, toasted (optional)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease (or line with parchment) a large baking sheet.

In a medium- sized bowl, beat butter, sugar, salt, vanilla and baking powder until the mixture is smooth and creamy. Beat in eggs; the batter may look slightly curdled. Lower the mixer speed, add the flour, cinnamon, chips and nuts (if using). Mix until smooth. The dough will be quite soft and sticky, but should hold its shape when you drop it from a spoon.

Transfer the dough to the prepared baking sheet, shaping it into a rough log about 14 inches long, 2-1/2 inches wide and 3/4-inch thick.

Bake for 25 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool on the pan anywhere from 5 to 25 minutes; just work it into the schedule of whatever else you're doing in the kitchen. Five minutes before cutting, use a spray bottle filled with room temperature water to lightly but thoroughly spritz the log, making sure to cover the sides as well as the top. Softening the crust just this little bit will make slicing the biscotti much easier.

Reduce the oven temperature to 325 degrees. Wait another 5 minutes, then cut the biscotti into 3/4-inch slices. Be sure to cut straight up and down. If you cut at an angle, the biscotti may be thicker at the top than the bottom, and they'll topple over during their second bake.

Set the biscotti upright on the prepared baking sheet. Bake for 25 minutes. Remove from oven and transfer them to a rack to cool.

Makes 14-16 biscotti.

Note: This recipe is for American-type biscotti, which uses eggs.