Frozen French Mints

1 cup real butter (do not substitute)
2 cups sifted confectioners’ sugar
4 oz. unsweetened chocolate, melted
1/4 cup finely crushed graham crackers
2 tsp. vanilla
1 tsp. peppermint extract
4 eggs

Cream butter and sugar and add the chocolate. Add eggs one at a time, beating well. Add vanilla and peppermint. Beat 3 to 5 minutes. Use cupcake liners or small candy cups. Spoon or pipe mixture into liners. Sprinkle with graham cracker crumbs. Freeze 5 hours before serving. Mints will keep frozen at least 2 weeks.

If desired, garnish with a dollop of whipped cream and then a sprinkle of crumbs. Make 24 cupcake-size or 120 candy-size mints

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Chocolate Caramel Candy

1 cup milk chocolate chips
1/4 cup butterscotch chips
1/4 cup creamy peanut butter

Filling:
1/4 cup butter or margarine
1 cup sugar
1/4 cup evaporated milk
1-1/2 cups marshmallow creme
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1-1/2 cups chopped salted peanuts

Caramel Layer:
1 (14 oz.) pkg caramels
1/4 cup whipping cream

Icing:
1 cup milk chocolate chips
1/4 cup butterscotch chips

Combine the first three ingredients in a small sauce pan; stir over low heat until melted and smooth. Spread onto the bottom of a lightly greased 13 x 9-inch pan. Refrigerate until set.

For Filling, melt butter in a heavy saucepan over medium-high heat. Add sugar and milk. Remove from heat; stir in marshmallow creme, peanut butter, and vanilla. Add peanuts. Spread over the first layer and refrigerate until set.

Combine unwrapped caramels and cream in a sauce pan; stir over low heat until melted and smooth. Spread over Filling. Refrigerate until set.

In a small sauce pan, combine the Icing ingredients. Stir over low heat until melted and smooth. Pour over the caramel layer. Refrigerate for at least one hour. Cut into 1-inch squares. Store in the refrigerator. About 8 dozen candies.

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
Almond Brittle

1-1/2 cups sugar
1 cup water
1/2 cup light corn syrup
1/3 cup dark corn syrup
2-1/2 cups coarsely chopped toasted hazelnuts
2 Tbsp. unsalted butter
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. baking soda

Line a heavy large baking sheet with parchment paper.

Stir the sugar, water, and light and dark corn syrups in a heavy large saucepan over medium heat until the sugar disolves. Increase the heat to high and boil without stirring until a candy thermometer registers 260 degrees, about 20 minutes.

Reduce the heat to medium low. Mix in the hazelnuts, butter, and salt (the misture will be very thick and nutty), and cook until the thermometer registers 295 degrees, stirring constantly, about 15 minutes. Quickly stir in the baking soda. Immediately pour the caramel onto the prepared baking sheet, spreading it as thinly as possible. Let stand until hard.

Break brittle into pieces and store in an airtight container at room temperature.
google_ad_section_end

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
From Taste of Home's Treasury of Christmas Recipes

Cranberry Gumdrops

2 envelopes unflavored gelatin
1/2 cup cold water
1 (16 oz.) can jellied cranberry sauce
2 cups sugar, divided
3 (3 oz.) pkg. raspberry gelatin
Additional sugar, optional

In a saucepan, sprinkle unflavored gelatin over water; let stand for 2 minutes to soften. Add cranberry and 1 cup sugar; cook over low heat until sauce is melted and sugar is dissolved, about 10 minutes. Whisk until smooth,

Remove from the heat and add raspberry gelatin; stir until completely dissolved, about 3 minutes. Pour into an 8-inch square baking pan coated with nonstick spray. Cover and let stand overnight at room temperature. Do not refrigerate.

Cut into 1-inch squares; roll in remaining sugar. Place on baking sheets; let stand at room temperature for 3 hours. Turn pieces over and let stand 3 hours longer. Roll in additional sugar, if desired. Store in an airtight container at room temperature. Makes about 5 dozen gumdrops.

Note: It takes me longer than 10 minutes to melt the cranberry sauce completely and get the mixture completely smooth. After removing from the pan, I cut my squares a little larger than one inch....it's hard to see exactly where your slices are! I roll the squares in sugar twice...it is optional to do so, but I found that after standing, the sugar will start to melt off the gumdrops. These are really good.

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
From Ina Garten, the Barefoot Contessa. I swear....one you have just one of these, you will never buy marshmallows again.

Homemade Marshmallows

3 packages unflavored gelatin
1-1/2 cups sugar
1 cup light corn syrup
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
1 tablespoon vanilla
confectioner's sugar -- for dusting

Combine the gelatin and 1/2 cup of cold water in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the whisk attachment and allow to sit while you make the syrup.

Meanwhile, combine the sugar, corn syrup, salt, and 1/2 cup water in a small saucepan and cook over medium heat until the sugar dissolves. Raise the heat to high and cook until the syrup reaches 240 degrees on a candy thermometer. Remove from the heat.

With the mixer on low speed, slowly pour the sugar syrup into the dissolved gelatin. Put the mixer on high speed and whip until the mixture is very thick, about 15 minutes. Add the vanilla and mix thoroughly.

With a sieve, generously dust an 8 x 12-inch nonmetal baking dish with confectinoer's sugar. Pour the marshmallow mixture into the pan, smooth the top, and dust with more confectioner's sugar. Allow to stand uncovered overnight until it dries out.

Turn the marshmallows onto a board and cut them in squares. Dust them with more confectioner's sugar. Makes 20 to 40 marshmallows.

Note: I use parchment paper, sugared heavily, to line the pan, then dump the mixture onto the paper. You do need a pan with sides!! Let them stand, uncovered, overnight. Dump them out of the pan and peel off the parchment....you may have some trouble peeling off the paper, but it will come off.

Use your pizza cutter to cut the mixture into squares. Roll them in confectioners' sugar (or just dust the cut surfaces with the sugar). I also dusted them with some Dutch cocoa. The cocoa serves to cut some of the sweetness.

Ina toasted coconut and rolled the marshmallows in the coconut.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Chocolate Nut Bark (kind of like English Toffee) from my dear friend and neighbor, Aly  (Kraft has a similar recipe, but it's not as good)

Saltine crackers

3/4 c butter

3/4 c brown sugar

chocolate chips

chopped nuts

melt butter and sugar and boil 2 min on medium heat.

Line  cookie sheet (with sides) with foil (non stick is best) and completely line the bottom with saltine crackers.  Pour the butter/brown sugar mixture over the saltines and spread evenly.  Bake @ 350 degrees for 7 minutes.

Sprinkle chocolate chips over hot pan and spread evenly (use as many or as few as you like...just depends on how much chocolate you want.  Sprinkle nuts over the melted chocolate and press lightly.  Once cooled, break into pieces and enjoy.

this sounds crazy, but it is WONDERFUL.  Every time I make it, everyone raves about it

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
Originally from the King Arthur Flour website, another staple in our family.
Dark Chocolate Buttercrunch

1 cup (2 sticks, 1/2 pound) butter*
1-1/2 cups (12 ounces) sugar
3 tablespoons water
1 tablespoon light corn syrup
2 cups (8 ounces) diced pecans or slivered almonds, toasted
1 pound semisweet or bittersweet chocolate, finely chopped (chocolate chips are an easy solution here; you’ll need about 2-2/3 cups)

*If you use unsalted butter, add 1/2 teaspoon salt.

In a large, deep saucepan, melt the butter. Stir in the sugar, water and corn syrup, and bring the mixture to a boil. Boil gently, over medium heat, until the mixture reaches hard-crack stage (300 degrees F on an instant-read or candy thermometer), about 20 minutes. The syrup will seem to take a long time to come to the hard-crack stage, but be patient; all of a sudden it will darken, and at that point you need to take its temperature and see if it’s ready. (If you don’t have a thermometer, test a dollop in ice water; it should immediately harden to a brittleness sufficient that you’ll be able to snap it in two, without any bending or softness). Pay attention; too long on the heat, and the syrup will burn. And what a waste of good butter and sugar that would be!

While the sugar mixture is gently bubbling, spread half of the nuts, in a fairly closely packed, even single layer, on a lightly greased baking sheet. Top with half the chocolate. When the syrup is ready, pour it quickly and evenly over the nuts and chocolate. Immediately top with the remaining chocolate, then the remaining nuts. Wait several minutes, then gently, using the back of a spatula, press down on the chocolate-nut layer to spread the chocolate around evenly.

While the candy is still slightly warm, use a spatula to loosen it from the baking sheet. When cool, break it into uneven chunks. Yield: about 24 big bite-sized pieces.

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
Alton Brown's White Trash  (this goes by many different names)

3-1/2 cups Cheerios
3 cups Rice Chex
3 cups Corn Chex
16 oz. plain M & M's
2-1/2 cups salted mixed nuts
2 cups small pretzels
2 (11-oz.) pkg. white chocolate chips (Ghiradelli brand preferred)

Dump the cereals, M & Ms, nuts and pretzels in a large bowl. 

Melt the white chips in a microwave or double boiler, being careful not to burn.

Dump the melted chocolate over the cereal mixture and fold over and over until you have well-coated hunks and chunks.

Spread the whole mess out on parchment paper and set in a cool place until it sets up. Break into pieces and put into storage bags or air-tight containers. (While it's cooling, every time you walk into your kitchen, grab a chunk or three!!)

Makes 18 cups.

Note:  I dump everything into a huge roaster. A large bowl (unless you have one that's truly gigantic!) will not allow you to mix the melted chocolate into the cereal mixture without making a mess....unless you're a lot neater than I am. Oh, and I take most of it into work, largely to keep it out of my kitchen. It is truly addictive. Not very healthy, but very addictive.

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
Peanut Caramels

1 cup light corn syrup
1 cup whipping cream
½ cup milk
1-1/2 cups sugar
¼ tsp. salt
2 cups salted peanuts

Butter a 9-inch square baking pan; set aside. In a heavy 4-quart saucepan, combine corn syrup, cream, milk, sugar and salt. Place over medium heat and stir occasionally with a wooden spoon until mixture comes to a boil. If any sugar crystals are present, wash down sides of pan with a wet pastry brush.

Clip on candy thermometer. Cook stirring occasionally, to 240 degrees F or soft-ball stage. Remove from heat and stir in peanuts.

Pour into prepared pan, scraping sides with wooden spoon. Let stand at room temperature until cool. Cut into 1-inch pieces. Makes 81 pieces.

Note:  I drizzle with melted chocolate. They would also be good entirely dipped in chocolate.

Last edited:

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
Best-Ever Nut Brittle

TOTAL TIME: 20 minutes, plus cooling time
Yields: 2 pounds 

2 cups sugar 
1/2 cup water 
1 stick unsalted butter 
1/3 cup light corn syrup 
1/2 teaspoon baking soda 
12 ounces roasted salted peanuts, cashews, pistachios and/or pecans 
Fleur de sel or crushed Maldon sea salt 

In a large saucepan, combine the sugar, water, butter and corn syrup and bring to a boil. Cook over moderately high heat, stirring occasionally, until the caramel is light brown and registers 300° on a candy thermometer, 10 minutes. Remove from the heat and carefully stir in the baking soda. The mixture will bubble.

Stir in the nuts, then immediately scrape the brittle onto a large rimmed, nonstick baking sheet.

Using the back of a large spoon (oil it lightly if it sticks), spread the brittle into a thin, even layer.

Sprinkle with salt. Let cool completely, about 30 minutes. Break the brittle into large shards. 

Note: The brittle can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 1 month. If you can stay away from it. There’s something about the sweet and saltiness. Decadent!

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
This recipe is from Best of Country Cooking 1999  and we love these nuts! I use all pecans and double the recipe when I make them. They don't really taste like much when you first take them out of the oven, but after they've cooled down and stored for a couple of hours? Good stuff!! I've made other spiced nuts and they're all good, but for some reason, this is our favorite.

Spiced Nuts

3 tablespoons butter or margarine, melted
1 tablespoon brown sugar
1 tablespoon soy sauce
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/8 teaspoon chili powder
1 cup whole unblanched almonds
1 cup pecan halves
1 cup pistachios or macadamia nuts

In a large bowl, combine the first six ingredients, mix well. Add nuts and stir well until coated.

Spread evenly in an ungreased 15 x 10 x 1-inch baking pan. Bake at 325 degrees F for 15-20 minutes, stirring two or three times. Spread on a waxed-paper lined baking sheet. Cool. Store in an airtight container. Makes 3 cups.

Note:  Since we like more of the "spiciness", I'll add more spices and about 1-1/2 teaspoons brown sugar in addition to the tablespoon of brown sugar called for in the recipe. You may have to roast them longer than 15-20 minutes. I do mine for about 30 minutes, largely because I usually double the recipe.

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
Snickers Popcorn

8 quarts air popped corn (about 2 cups of kernels)

1 cup salted butter

2 cups light brown sugar, packed

1 teaspoon salt

½ cup light corn syrup

1 teaspoon baking soda

1 cup salted peanuts

30 "Fun Size" Snickers bars, coarsely chopped

3 ounces melted semisweet chocolate, optional

Preheat oven to 200 degrees F.

Over medium heat boil butter, brown sugar, salt and corn syrup for 5 minutes.

Remove from heat and stir in baking soda.

Pour over popcorn and stir to coat evenly.

Transfer to waxed paper lined counter and sprinkle peanuts on top. Stir until all is coated evenly.

Transfer popcorn into a large roasting pan and bake for 1 hour 15 minutes, stirring every 15 minutes.

Remove from oven and stir in coarsely chopped Snickers. Return to oven for 3 more minutes so the Snickers begin to melt slightly into the popcorn.

Remove from pan and transfer popcorn back to wax paper to cool.

Drizzle melted chocolate on top of popcorn if desired.

Let set and store in an airtight container.

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yum. Even if i could get my lazy bones moving, I can't get half the ingredients in any of the delicious sounding sweet stuff. The only resource is for you to send a whole parcel to me. :p

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Sticky Bun Popcorn
Makes 16-18 cups

3 tablespoons (45 grams) vegetable oil (such as canola)
¾ cup (165 grams) unpopped popcorn kernels
2 cups (200 grams) pecan halves, toasted
¾ cup firmly packed (165 grams) light brown sugar
1½ sticks (170 grams) unsalted butter
¾ cup (255 grams) honey
½ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
½ teaspoon kosher salt
¼ teaspoon baking soda
¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and place racks in the center and bottom third. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper and set them aside.

In a very large pot with a lid, heat the oil over high heat until hot. Add the popcorn kernels, cover the pot, and reduce the heat to medium-high. Shake the pot every few seconds until you start to hear the popping. As soon as you hear it popping, shake the pot constantly. When the popping slows down to one pop every few seconds, turn off the heat but keep shaking. When you hear one pop every 5 or 6 seconds, remove the pot from the stove and dump the popcorn into a large bowl. Remove and discard any unpopped kernels. Add the pecan halves to the popcorn.

These next few steps go quickly, so be sure to have all the ingredients and equipment at hand. Return the pot to the stove and add the brown sugar and butter. Heat over high heat until the butter melts. The mixture will get foamy and start to color. Cook, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon or silicone spatula, for 3 minutes — the color will deepen a shade and it will smell rich and delicious.

Add the honey and bring back to a boil. Remove from the heat and stir in the vanilla, salt, baking soda, and cinnamon. (The caramel goo will bubble up and foam a bit from the reaction of the baking soda with the sugar.)

Drizzle the caramel goo over the popcorn-pecan mixture and toss to distribute well, until the popcorn is evenly colored. Spread on the prepared baking sheets. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes, rotating the baking sheets and switching their positions midway through the baking time, until the nuts are deeply toasted and the popcorn smells fragrant.

Remove from the oven and let cool on the baking sheets on a wire rack. When the popcorn cools, it will be crunchy and crispy. Break the popcorn into bite-size clusters after it cools.

Sticky bun popcorn can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 1 week.

BellaGooch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Going to revive an old thread here!

Here is a very basic kettle corn recipe:
  • ¼ cup vegetable oil (I substitute with coconut oil- I hate coconut, but the oil gives it a better flavor in my opinion)

• ¼ cup white sugar

• ½ cup unpopped popcorn kernels

Heat the vegetable oil in a large pot over medium heat. Once hot, stir in the sugar and popcorn. Cover, and shake the pot constantly to keep the sugar from burning. Once the popping has slowed to once every 2 to 3 seconds, remove the pot from the heat and continue to shake for a few minutes until the popping has stopped. Pour into a large bowl, and allow to cool, stirring occasionally to break up large clumps.

Link to recipe: Kettle Corn

I don't really follow the measurements- I just make them up as I go- but I love this snack! It's so easy to make and requires minimal cleanup lol.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
From Recipes: 5 home-baked treats designed to travel - The Boston Globe

MINTY MOLTEN CHOCOLATE MUG CAKE

Makes 12 cakes

This gooey, rich dessert includes a make-ahead part, but finishes in the microwave — perfect for when the holiday mood strikes. For the mint truffles, feel free to substitute gingerbread, snickerdoodle, or other truffle flavors; even two thin chocolate mints will work.

½ cup Mug Cake mix (see following recipe)

3 tablespoons water, milk, or nondairy milk

1½ tablespoons canola oil

1 mint truffle, about 1-inch diameter

Candy, such as sprinkles or crushed candy canes, for garnish

Coat a 12- to 14-ounce coffee mug with nonstick spray (wider mugs work a little better), then add ½ cup of the Mug Cake mix. Combine the water (or milk) and oil and slowly add to the dry mix, stirring with a fork and digging to the bottom to make sure the ingredients are evenly incorporated.

Microwave on high for 45 seconds. Add the truffle (or two thin chocolate mints side by side) to the center, pressing the chocolate just below the surface if possible. Place any candy toppings on the surface. Return the cake to the microwave and cook another 30 to 45 seconds. You’ll want to experiment with cooking times and toppings. Candy cane melts quickly, but some sprinkles don’t. Like anything in a mug, these cakes are best enjoyed warm.

Mug Cake mix

2¼ cups cake flour (or substitute 2 cups all-purpose flour plus ¼ cup cornstarch)

1½ cups sugar

1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder

1 teaspoon baking soda

1¼ teaspoons kosher salt

¾ cup powdered buttermilk (available in the baking aisle of most supermarkets)

1½ cups semisweet chocolate chips

In a large bowl, whisk together all dry ingredients except the chocolate chips. Pass the mixture through a sieve onto a large piece of parchment paper, using a spoon to break up ingredients. Discard anything that remains in the sieve. Curving the sides of the parchment paper, slide the mixture back into the bowl, then whisk in the chocolate chips. Mix can be stored in an airtight container for up to two months.

NO-BAKE MAPLE NANAIMO BARS

Makes three 7½-by-5-inch pans or two 8-by-8-inch pans

This decadent, three-layer bar cookie is named for the West Coast city in British Columbia. Authentic bars use Bird’s Custard Powder, which is sometimes available in the international aisle of supermarkets, but regular vanilla pudding mix will do the job.

Raw egg whites should not be used in place of the pasteurized ones, but a good substitute is 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon of powdered egg or powdered egg white plus ¼ cup of water.

For bottom layer:

14.4-ounce box of graham crackers

¾ teaspoon kosher salt

2 cups sweetened coconut flakes

1/3 cup cocoa powder

12 tablespoons (1½ sticks) unsalted butter, at room temperature

1/3 cup sugar

¼ cup pasteurized liquid egg whites

Grease three small aluminum grill drip pans (see ship tip) or two 8-by-8-inch baking pans with nonstick spray and reserve.

To the work bowl of a food processor, add the graham crackers and pulse into fine crumbs (a plastic bag and mallet works great, too). You should have a scant 3½ cups. Add the kosher salt, coconut, and cocoa powder. Pulse a few times, just to combine and slightly break down the coconut, then reserve.

In a heat-proof bowl over a double-boiler, melt the butter. Whisk in the sugar until it dissolves. Quickly whisk in the egg white. Using a rubber spatula, immediately stir in the graham cracker mixture, stirring for about two minutes to blend and dry out.

Divide the crust among the pans, and using your fingertips, press the crust firmly on the bottoms of the pans. Place in the freezer.

Middle layer:

3 tablespoons pure maple syrup

4 tablespoons water or milk

5 tablespoons vanilla custard / pudding mix

½ teaspoon kosher salt

18 tablespoons (2¼ sticks) unsalted butter, at room temperature

5 cups confectioners' sugar, plus more if needed

In a small bowl, use a fork to combine the maple syrup, water or milk, pudding mix, and salt. Reserve.

In the bowl of a stand mixer, using the flat beater/paddle attachment, cream the butter until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes. Scrape down the sides of the bowl, and on medium speed, gradually add the pudding mixture. Beat on high for 2 minutes. Reduce speed to low, then add the confectioners' sugar. Gradually increase the speed to high and beat an additional 2 minutes until you have a smooth, stiff buttercream. Add more confectioners' sugar if too thin or water if too thick.

Using an offset spatula, divide and spread this layer on the first layers and return pans to the freezer while preparing the final layer.

Top layer:

12 ounces dark chocolate chips (about 2 cups)

4 tablespoons (½ stick) unsalted butter, at room temperature

Optional toppings: sea salt, sprinkles, M&M’s, etc.

In a microwave-safe bowl, combine the chocolate and butter. Heat in the microwave for 30 seconds at a time, stirring between intervals. Continue until the chocolate mixture is thickened and almost homogenous. Near the end, the chips might not be fully melted, but stirring will help them along.

Using an offset spatula, divide and spread the ganache over the middle layer of each pan. If adding decorations to the top, do so before the chocolate sets.

Place in the refrigerator to set. Once the ganache is firm, but still pliable, cut the bars into 1-inch squares. Or if you aren’t eating immediately, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until ready to serve to preserve freshness. Bring to room temperature for about 15 minutes before serving.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
These are apparently popular in Australia and New Zealand. There are tons of recipes out there to make these balls with all sorts of variations: chocolate, with nuts, with dates, etc. This is one I got through an email.

Desiccated coconut is just shredded coconut.

Strawberry Bliss balls

Servings: 20 Balls

Calories: 92kcal

Equipment
  • Food Processor

Ingredients
  • 200 g strawberries 1 cup, 12 strawberries
  • 150 g oats 1.5 cups
  • 140 g sunflower seeds 1 cup
  • 50 g desiccated coconut 0.5 cups
  • 1 Tbsp maple syrup
  • 1 tsp vanilla essence
  • 2 Tbsp desiccated coconut For coating the strawberry bliss balls.
Instructions
  • Watch the quick recipe video before you get started. Please note in the video I use coconut flour instead of desiccated coconut and don't use maple syrup. I also no longer suggest coconut oil in this recipe as it works just fine without it, but you should still get a good idea on how to make the recipe.
  • If you wish to see step by step photos of each image you will find these at the top of the blog post.
  • Prepare your strawberries, i.e. remove the tops and weigh or measure them. In the recipe I use 200g, this is a rounded cup of sliced strawberries, if you don't cut up your strawberries it may be closer to 1 and a half or 2 cups.
  • Place the strawberries and all the other ingredients in a food processor. Whiz, whizz, whizz, it will take some time, be patient. Eventually it becomes a fine paste and come together as a rollable dough.
  • At this point, you may need to refrigerate the mx for a short time (30 mins) this will just make it easier to form the strawberry balls. If you have used frozen berries you can probably step this step.
  • Use a tablespoon to scoop portions. A tip here is to use a damp tablespoon, this stops the mix sticking to the spoon.
  • Using your hands roll the strawberry ball dough into smooth balls. Damp hands will stop the mix sticking to you.
  • Roll the balls in desiccated coconut. I do this by putting a few tablespoons of deisccated coconut in a small bowl, and rolling each ball in the coconut to cover it.
  • Refrigerate for 2 hrs or overnight before serving.
Notes
Substitutions
  • Strawberries: You can use either fresh or frozen strawberries. I have also made this recipe using blueberries, (many of my readers have too) and you get a lovely purple ball.
  • Desiccated coconut: This can be substituted for coconut flour, I used to list coconut flour in the ingredients, but have since realised not everyone has it in their cupboard, and most people were substituting for desiccated coconut so I switched up the recipe.
  • Rolled oats: If you need a gluten-free option, quinoa flakes work as do gluten-free weetbix.
  • Sunflower seeds: These can be subbed for any mild flavoured nut, I like cashews or macadamia nuts in this recipe, almonds work too. Pumpkin seeds will work but they give a slightly funny colour to these strawberry balls.
  • Maple syrup: This can be substituted for honey or left out entirely. When my children were younger they were quite happy with the sweetness level with just strawberries so I could leave it out.
Tips

• Be patient, just when you think the mix will never come together in the food processor, it all of a sudden will.
  • Damp hands and equipment. No matter what bliss ball, energy bite or protein ball you are making, the mix is usually quite sticky. Use damp hands and a damp spoon and the strawberry balls will be much easier to roll.
Storage
These bliss balls do best stored in the fridge for up to 3 days or stored in the freezer for up to 3 months.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The peanut butter can be swapped for an allergy friendly type of butter instead. Add mix ins (dried fruit, chocolate chips, etc). Try any of the Cheerios varieties.

Ingredients

3 cups Cheerios

3/4 cup peanut butter

1/2 cup honey

To make:
  1. Line an 8x8 pan with parchment paper or foil; set aside.
  2. In a medium saucepan, heat the peanut butter and honey over medium heat until melted and well combined.
  3. Remove from the heat and stir in the Cheerios.
  4. Place the mixture in your prepared pan and press into place.
  5. Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours before cutting.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The recipe states 24 brownie bites but I've always been able to get a couple more than that even with each liner filled to the top with batter. Picture below is mine. They have brown paper liners on so it kind of blends in.

IMG_4898.JPG

Makes 24
Ingredients
  • 8 tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter, melted
  • 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
  • 1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
  • 4 large eggs
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 1/2 cups almond flour (not almond meal)
  • Powdered sugar, for dusting (optional)
Instructions
  1. Arrange a rack in the center of the oven and heat to 350°F. Line a (24-well) mini muffin tin with paper liners.
  2. Whisk the butter, sugar, cocoa powder, eggs, vanilla, and salt together in a large bowl. Stir in the almond flour until just combined. Divide the batter evenly among the mini muffin cups.
  3. Bake until the tops of the brownie bites puff up and begin to crack, and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out still slightly moist with batter, 16 to 18 minutes.
  4. Place the tin on a wire rack and cool 3 minutes. Transfer the brownie bites to a wire rack to cool completely. Dust with powdered sugar before serving, if desired.
Recipe Notes
Storage: Store the brownie bites in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 2 days.
Using a standard muffin tin: These brownies bites can also be baked in a (12-well) standard muffin tin to make larger brownies. They'll just take a little longer to bake, about 23 to 25 minutes.

Last edited: