Recipes - Cakes And Other Baked Desserts

lizzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I made this just this morning and it is to die for.Thought I'd share.....

Pecan Pie Impossible Pie

Spray a 13 x 9 pan...set aside
1 stick melted butter
1 1/2 c brown sugar (no brown sugar?add 1 t. molasses to the butter & sugar and stir)
6 beaten eggs
1 T vanilla
1 t salt
1 t baking powder
1 c flour
2 c chopped pecans
1 can evaporated milk & 1 can water
enough fat free 1/2&1/2 to make the milk and water a quart
I use a large tupperware bowl to mix,and melt the butter in the microwave.Let it cool for a minute,
add the sugar (and molasses if need be) and whisk.
Add the eggs and whisk,then vanilla and salt.
Add the flour and baking powder and whisk,then whisk in the milk and finally the pecans.
Carefully pour into your sprayed pan and bake on center rack of your oven.It will take
about an hour...it will puff up in the center.....to test for the custard to be done,I stick it
with a thin bladed knife.If it comes out clean,it's done.Let cool for about half an hour and chill in the fridge.
Don't be alarmed when you take it from the oven,it will deflate.It's supposed to,and will be dense and
custard-like.You can cut this recipe in half and use a 9" square pan.
It's not necessary to use the evap. milk...you can use any kind of milk you like.I always have it on hand,
and if you cut it 50/50 with water,it's strength is the same as whole milk in baking.

To make this a coconut impossible pie,use white sugar and 2 cups unsweetened coconut.If you have any
coconut extract on hand...sometimes I do.....use 1 t. along with the vanilla.You can cut back on the amount
of butter too.Enjoy!

lizzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Moonlight Cake preheat oven to 350
A couple of things to keep in mind if you've never made an angel food cake (this was my first time!)...you've got to have an angel food cake pan,and don't grease it.It will not rise.It'd be helpful if the pan you have has the 3 tabs sticking out of the rim,as when it comes out of the oven,you turn it upside down til it's cool.Otherwise,you'd have to balance it upside down on a wine (or other) bottle.It doesn't matter if you mix your cake in glass bowls or stainless,but they've got to be greaseless.It also doesn't matter if you have a stand mixer or a hand mixer...either will work and I used both of mine.I put my egg whites in my stand mixer bowl and used it,and beat the yolks in a separate stainless bowl with my hand mixer.I know this may all seem complicated,but it's really not.Once you get your stuff organized,it goes quickly.
10 egg whites
7 egg yolks
1/4 t salt
1 t. cream of tarter
1 1/2 c sugar
1 t either almond extract or vanilla
1 c cake flour(many don't keep this on hand so I used 3/4 c flour and 1/4 cornstarch...whisk it together well)
Add salt to the whites and beat til frothy.
Add cream of tarter to them and beat til stiff peaks form
Add sugar and flavoring to yolks and beat beat beat til they're very light colored,thick and the sugar has dissolved.
Take 2 T. of the beaten whites and slowly whisk into the yolks.
Slowly whisk or fold the yolks into the whites (I turned my stand mixer on low and spooned them into the whites)
Then in goes the flour(once again I had my stand mixer on slow and added the flour a spoonful at a time)
Using a spatula,slowly scoop the batter into the angel food pan.I kept turning the pan so it was pretty even,and you can even it out on top if necessary.
Bake 1 hour.It will be nicely browned and smell divine.Turn upside down on the counter and let it cool completely.Mine rose to within a half inch of the rim of the pan.
To get it out of the pan,I ran a dull knife around the inside and around the tube.Take it out of the pan and run a knife around the bottom...then you can set it carefully on a nice cake plate.Enjoy!

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Vegan Lowfat Chocolate Cake from Flour Bakery:

Makes one 8-inch cake (serves 8-10)

2 1/2 cups (360 grams) all-purpose flour

1 cup (200 grams) granulated sugar

2/3 cup (120 grams) semi-sweet chocolate chips

2/3 cup (80 grams) cocoa powder

2 teaspoons baking soda

1/2 teaspoon kosher salt

1 tablespoon instant espresso powder or 2 tablespoons instant coffee powder

2 cups (480 grams) cold water

1/2 cup (100 grams) vegetable oil such as canola

2 teaspoons vanilla extract

3 tablespoons molasses

Heat the oven to 350 degrees and oil and flour a 8-inch cake pan.

In a medium bowl mix together the flour, sugar, chocolate chips, cocoa powder, baking soda, salt, and espresso powder. In a separate bowl whisk together the water, oil, vanilla extract, and molasses.

Pour the liquid ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix them together with a wooden spoon until the batter is smooth and homogeneous. Pour the batter into the prepared cake pan and bake for 60 to 70 minutes, until the cake springs back when lightly touched in the middle. Let cool for about 1 hour in the pan, and then invert the pan to remove the cake and let the cake cool completely on a wire rack. Sprinkle with a dusting of powdered sugar and serve at room temperature. The cake may be stored in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 days.

Recipe can also be made as 10 individual standard sized muffins. Bake time may need to be decreased for muffins.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
If you like banana muffins, and like chocolate, then you should love these.

Banana Double Chocolate Muffins

Ingredients
4 1/2 tablespoons Vegetable Oil
1/2 cup Brown Sugar
1 Egg
1 teaspoon Vanilla
1 cup Mashed Bananas
1 cup All Purpose Flour
1/2 cup Cocoa
1 teaspoon Baking Powder
1 teaspoon Baking Soda
1/4 teaspoon Salt
3/4 cup Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips
1/4 cup Walnuts (chopped, optional)

Directions
In a large bowl, combine vegetable oil, brown sugar, egg, vanilla and mashed banana.

In a medium bowl, measure flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda, salt, chocolate chips and walnuts. Stir to combine. Add to wet ingredients, and mix only until batter is moistened.

Fill 12 greased muffin tins or use muffin papers.

Bake for 18 to 20 minutes in 375° F oven, or until muffins spring back when tops are lightly touched. Cool on baking rack.

Makes 12 muffins.

1589837714136.png

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Shoo-Fly Cake

4 cups flour
1 teaspoon salt
2 cups sugar
1 cup butter or margarine
1 teaspoon baking soda dissolved in 2 tablespoons hot water
1 cup molasses
2 cups water

Preheat oven to 350F. Combine flour, sugar, and salt. Cut in butter until crumbly. Reserve one cup crumbs for topping. To remaining crumbs, add 2 cups water, molasses, and hot water-soda mixture. Mix thoroughly. Pour into greased 13 x 9-inch pan. Sprinkle with reserved crumbs. Bake 40-45 minutes.
Note: I just use my hands to make the crumbs. I get finer crumbs that way. You can easily halve this recipe and use an 8 or 9-inch square pan.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
This looks easy to make :) It's not really a bread since it's made with store bought refrigerated biscuit dough in a can and is more of a brunch / dessert / snack item.

Blueberry-Almond Bubble Bread
Serves 6 to 8

• Cooking spray or butter, for coating the pan
  • 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, divided
  • 5 tablespoons granulated sugar, divided
  • 1 (12 or about 16-ounce) can refrigerated biscuit dough
  • 6 ounces blueberries (about 1 1/4 cups)
  • 1/3 cup rolled oats
  • 1/4 cup sliced almonds
  • 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
  • 1 tablespoon packed light brown sugar
  • 1/8 teaspoon kosher salt
  • 1/8 teaspoon ground ginger (optional)
  • 1/2 cup powdered sugar
  • 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice or milk, plus more as needed
Instructions
  1. Arrange a rack in the middle of the oven and heat the oven to 375ºF. Line the bottom of an 8-inch round cake pan with parchment paper. Lightly coat the pan and paper with cooking spray or butter.
  2. Melt 4 tablespoons unsalted butter in the microwave or on the stovetop. Place 1/4 cup of the granulated sugar in a large bowl.
  3. Open 1 can biscuit dough and separate the biscuits. For a 12-ounce can, cut each biscuit into 4 pieces. For a 16-ounce can, cut each biscuit into 6 pieces. Roll each piece into a ball and add to the bowl of sugar. Gently toss with your hands until most of the sugar coats the dough balls.
  4. Drizzle in 2 tablespoons of the butter and gently use your hands to toss to coat. Transfer the dough balls to the cake pan in a single layer.
  5. Place the remaining 1 tablespoon granulated sugar and 6 ounces blueberries in the bowl (no need to clean) and stir with a rubber spatula to combine. Sprinkle evenly over the biscuits.
  6. Place 1/3 cup rolled oats, 1/4 cup sliced almonds, 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour, 1 tablespoon packed light brown sugar, 1/8 teaspoon kosher salt, and 1/8 teaspoon ground ginger if desired into the bowl (no need to clean). Drizzle with the remaining 2 tablespoons melted butter and stir until evenly moistened. Sprinkle evenly over the cake and gently press to adhere to the biscuits.
  7. Bake until the top is evenly golden and the biscuits are baked through and the center registers at least 195ºF, 30 to 45 minutes. Place the pan on a wire rack while you prepare the glaze.
  8. Place 1/2 cup powdered sugar and 1 tablespoon lemon juice or milk into a medium bowl and whisk until a smooth, pourable glaze forms, adding more liquid a teaspoon at a time as needed.
  9. Run a thin knife or offset spatula around the cake. Invert a large plate over the cake. Grasping the plate and cake pan in both hands (careful, hot!), flip both over in one motion. Remove the cake pan and parchment paper. Invert a serving plate over the cake, and flip both again so the cake is once again streusel-side up. If any bits of streusel fall off, press back on top. Drizzle with the glaze. Serve while warm, either in wedges or pull-apart style.
Recipe Notes
Storage: Leftovers can be stored in an airtight container for up to 3 days. Reheat briefly in the microwave or a low oven to warm.
Fruit and nut options: Raspberries or halved blackberries can be substituted for the blueberries. Chopped walnuts or pecans can be substituted for the almonds.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Lemon Poppy Seed Sweet Rolls

Serves 15, Makes 15 rolls

Ingredients
For the dough:
  • 1 stick (8 tablespoons) unsalted butter, plus more for the pan
  • 1 cup whole milk
  • 3 large eggs
  • 1/3 cup plus 1 teaspoon granulated sugar, divided
  • 1 (1/4-ounce) packet active dry yeast (2 1/4 teaspoons)
  • 4 cups all-purpose flour
  • 3 tablespoons poppy seeds
  • 1 teaspoon kosher salt
For the filling:
  • 1 stick (8 tablespoons) unsalted butter
  • 2 medium lemons
  • 3/4 cup granulated sugar
For the glaze:
  • 1 stick (8 tablespoons) unsalted butter
  • 4 ounces cream cheese
  • 2 medium lemons
  • 1 cup powdered sugar
  • 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
  • 1 tablespoon poppy seeds
Instructions

Make the dough:
  1. Coat a 9x13-inch baking dish with butter.
  2. Melt 1 stick unsalted butter in a medium microwave-safe bowl or large measuring glass. Add 1 cup whole milk and microwave until warm to the touch (about 100ºF).
  3. Add 3 large eggs and whisk to combine. Sprinkle 1 teaspoon of the granulated sugar and 1 packet active dry yeast over the milk mixture and let sit until bubbly and frothy, 5 to 7 minutes.
  4. Add the remaining 1/3 cup granulated sugar, 4 cups all-purpose flour, 3 tablespoons poppy seeds, and 1 teaspoon kosher salt to the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the dough hook. Mix on low speed until combined, about 1 minute.
  5. Turn the mixer to medium speed and add the milk mixture. Continue to mix until the dough comes together in a ball and is smooth and elastic to the touch, about 10 minutes.
  6. Remove the dough from the bowl. Wipe out the bowl and coat it with butter. Return the dough to the bowl and cover with a kitchen towel. Let rise in a warm place until doubled in size, about 1 1/2 hours. Meanwhile, let the 1 stick unsalted butter for the filling sit at room temperature to soften.
  7. Punch the dough down, then place on a work surface. Roll out to a 16x22-inch rectangle with a longer side closer to you.
Make the filling:
  1. Finely grate the zest of 2 medium lemons into a medium bowl. Add 3/4 cup granulated sugar and use your hands to rub the zest into the sugar.
  2. Spread the softened stick of butter evenly over the dough. Sprinkle the sugar mixture evenly over the butter.
  3. Starting at the bottom, tightly roll the dough up into a 22-inch long log. Cut the log crosswise into 15 (about 1-1/2 inch-wide) pieces. Arrange the rolls cut-side up in the baking dish, 5 across and 3 down, evenly spaced apart. Cover loosely with plastic wrap and let rest in a warm place until doubled in size, about 1 hour.
  4. Meanwhile, wash and dry the stand mixer bowl. Add the 1 stick unsalted butter and 4 ounces cream cheese for the glaze to the bowl and let sit at room temperature to soften. (Alternatively, place in a large bowl if using an electric hand mixer.) About 30 minutes before the rolls are ready, arrange a rack in the middle of the oven and heat the oven to 350ºF.
  5. Uncover the rolls and bake until golden brown, about 25 minutes. Meanwhile, make the glaze.
Make the glaze:
  1. Finely grate the zest of 2 medium lemons. Juice 1 of the lemons (about 2 tablespoons).
  2. Beat the butter and cream cheese with the paddle attachment on medium speed until smooth, about 1 minute. Sift 1 cup powdered sugar and 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt into the bowl and beat until combined. Add the lemon zest, lemon juice, and 1 tablespoon poppy seeds, and beat until smooth, about 10 seconds.
  3. When the rolls are ready, place the pan on a wire rack. Immediately spread half the glaze on the rolls. Let cool for 10 minutes, then spread the remaining glaze on the rolls. Serve warm.
Recipe Notes
Make ahead: The rolls can be filled and placed in the baking dish, then covered and refrigerated unbaked overnight. Let sit at room temperature for 45 minutes to 1 hour before uncovering and baking.
Storage: Leftovers can be refrigerated in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
Making the dough by hand: If you don’t have a stand mixer, this recipe can be made by hand. Stir the dough together with a wooden spoon in a large bowl, then knead the dough on a work surface until smooth.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Strawberry Pound Cake
Serves 10 to 12

Ingredients
  • 2 sticks (8 ounces) plus 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, divided
  • 4 large eggs
  • 1 cup sour cream
  • 3 cups plus 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour, divided
  • 1 pound fresh strawberries
  • 1 teaspoon kosher salt
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
  • 2 cups granulated sugar
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1 cup powdered sugar
  • 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
Instructions
  1. Place 2 sticks of the unsalted butter in the bowl of a stand mixer. (Alternatively, place in a large bowl if using an electric hand mixer.) Place 4 large eggs and 1 cup sour cream on the counter. Let everything sit at room temperature until the butter is softened, at least 1 hour.
  2. Arrange a rack in the middle of the oven and heat the oven to 375ºF. Meanwhile, melt the remaining 1 tablespoon unsalted butter and place in a small bowl. Add 1 tablespoon of the all-purpose flour and mix to form a paste. Brush the paste on the inside of a 12-cup bundt cake pan, making sure to thoroughly coat the tube and all the crevices. Trim and dice 1 pound strawberries.
  3. Place the remaining 3 cups all-purpose flour, 1 teaspoon kosher salt, 1 teaspoon baking soda, and 1/2 teaspoon baking powder in a large bowl and whisk to combine.
  4. Add 2 cups granulated sugar to the bowl of butter. Beat on medium speed with the paddle attachment until fluffy, 3 to 5 minutes. Beat in the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in 1 teaspoon vanilla extract.
  5. With the mixer on low speed, beat in 1/3 of the flour mixture, then 1/2 of the sour cream. Beat in half of the remaining flour mixture, then the remaining sour cream. Beat in the remaining flour mixture until just combined.
  6. Add the strawberries and gently fold them into the batter by hand with a silicone spatula. Scrape the batter into the prepared pan and smooth out the top.
  7. Bake until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, about 1 hour. Place the pan on a wire rack and let cool for 30 minutes. Flip the cake out onto the rack and let cool completely, about 1 1/2 hours.
  8. Whisk 1 cup powdered sugar and 2 tablespoons lemon juice together in a small bowl until smooth. Drizzle over the cake.
Recipe Notes
Using the right bundt pan: The recipe calls for a 12-cup Bundt pan, which is the larger size. If in doubt, measure the amount of water it takes to fill the pan.
Storage: The cake can be tightly wrapped in plastic wrap and kept at room temperature for up to 4 days.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Lemon-cornmeal cake

Makes one 9-inch cake

Spoon berries and softly whipped cream beside slices of this simple lemon-cornmeal cake glazed with sugar syrup. The cake is baked in a plain round cake pan and assembled in bowls without a mixer, so it couldn't be easier. All-purpose flour and yellow cornmeal (preferably stoneground) are mixed with melted butter, buttermilk, an egg and extra yolk, and the rind of two lemons. While the cake bakes, make the glaze so you can brush it on the top and sides while the cake is still warm. The round has a shortcake quality. It's the kind of quick dessert you can produce on the spur of the moment to carry to a backyard party or picnic.

CAKE

Butter (for the pan)
1cup all-purpose flour
1cup yellow cornmeal
2teaspoons baking powder
½teaspoon baking soda
¼teaspoon salt
¼cup sugar
1 egg plus 1 extra yolk
6tablespoons butter, melted and cooled until lukewarm
1cup buttermilk (well shaken)
Grated rind of 2 lemons

1. Set the oven at 375 degrees. Butter a 9-inch round cake pan.

2. In a bowl large enough to hold all the ingredients, whisk the flour, cornmeal, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and sugar to blend them.

3. In another bowl, whisk the egg and extra yolk, butter, buttermilk, and lemon rind.

4. Pour the egg mixture over the flour mixture. Use a rubber spatula to stir them together to form a slightly lumpy batter with no pockets of flour. Scrape the batter into the cake pan and spread it evenly. Tap the pan once hard on the counter to settle any air pockets.

5. Transfer the cake to the oven and bake for 30 to 35 minutes, or until the top is set and a skewer inserted into the center of the cake is clean when withdrawn. Transfer the pan to a wire rack and cool for 10 minutes. Invert the cake onto the rack and invert again so it is sitting right side up. Place a sheet pan under the rack to catch the glaze that drips.

GLAZE

Juice of 1 1/2 lemons (1/3 cup)
¼cup sugar

1. In a small saucepan over low heat, combine the lemon juice and sugar. Cook, stirring once or twice, until the sugar dissolves and the liquid is clear. Bring to a boil and let the mixture bubble gently for 30 seconds. Remove from the heat.

2. Brush the top and sides of the cake with the glaze in several coats, using all of the glaze. Let the cake cool completely. Use a serrated knife to cut the cake into slices. Serve with whipped cream and berries or soft fruits.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Streusel-Topped Blueberry Coffee Cake

Serves 9
Prep time 30 minutes
Cook time 50 minutes to 1 hour

Ingredients
For the cake:
  • 6 tablespoons (3/4 stick) unsalted butter
  • Cooking spray
  • 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
  • 1/4 cup whole or 2% milk
  • 1 large egg
  • 3/4 cup sour cream
  • 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
  • 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
  • 1 1/2 cups fresh or frozen blueberries (do not thaw), divided
For the streusel topping:
  • 4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) unsalted butter
  • 1 medium lemon
  • 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1/4 cup granulated sugar
  • 1/4 cup packed light brown sugar
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
Instructions
  1. Cut 6 tablespoons unsalted butter into small cubes, then place in a stand mixer and let sit at room temperature to soften. (Alternatively, place in a large bowl if using an electric hand mixer.) Meanwhile, arrange a rack in the middle of the oven and heat the oven to 350°F. Line an 8-inch square baking pan with two overlapping sheets of parchment paper so that it hangs off all four sides and forms a sling. Coat the corners of the pan not covered with the parchment with cooking spray. Prepare the streusel.
  2. Make the streusel. Place 4 tablespoons unsalted butter in a medium microwave-safe bowl and microwave in 15-second bursts until completely melted, about 45 seconds total. (Alternatively, melt in a small saucepan over medium-low heat.)
  3. Finely grate the zest of 1 medium lemon (about 1 tablespoon). Reserve the zested lemon for the cake. Add the zest, 1/2 cup all-purpose flour, 1/4 cup granulated sugar, 1/4 cup packed light brown sugar, 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon, and 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt to the melted butter and stir with a fork until evenly moistened and a variety of crumb sizes form. Do not mix into a paste of uniform consistency. Refrigerate until the butter firms up, at least 10 minutes. Meanwhile, make the cake.
  4. Make the cake. Place 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, 2 teaspoons baking powder, 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, and 1/4 teaspoon baking soda in a medium bowl and whisk to combine.
  5. Place 1/4 cup whole milk, 1 large egg, 3/4 cup sour cream, 1 tablespoon vanilla extract, and the juice of the zested lemon (about 2 tablespoons) in a large liquid measuring cup or bowl and whisk to combine.
  6. Add 1/2 cup granulated sugar and 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar to the butter in the stand mixer. Beat with the paddle attachment on medium speed until lightened in color, about 7 minutes. With the mixer on low speed, add half of the flour mixture and beat until mostly incorporated. Add the milk mixture and beat until just combined. Scrape down the sides and bottom of the bowl.
  7. Return the mixer to low speed, add the remaining flour mixture, and beat until just combined. Stop the mixer, add 1 cup of the blueberries, and fold in by hand with a rubber spatula.
  8. Transfer the batter to the prepared baking pan and smooth the top. Sprinkle the remaining 1/2 cup blueberries evenly onto the batter. Crumble the chilled streusel evenly over the top.
  9. Bake until the cake is lightly browned and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, 50 to 60 minutes. Place the pan on a wire rack and cool for 15 minutes. Grasping the excess parchment, lift the cake out of the baking dish and set it on the rack. Let cool completely. Transfer the cake to a cutting board, cut into squares, and serve.
Recipe Notes
Storage: Tightly wrap in plastic wrap and keep at room temperature for up to 2 days.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Strawberry shortcake for a crowd

Serves 12

BISCUITS

4cups flour
¼cup granulated sugar
4teaspoons baking powder
2teaspoons baking soda
2teaspoons salt
1cup (2 sticks) cold, unsalted butter, cut into ¼-inch slices
Extra butter (for the pan)
cups buttermilk, or more if needed
Extra flour (for sprinkling)
1tablespoon milk
tablespoons turbinado sugar, cane sugar, or granulated sugar (for sprinkling)
1. In a bowl, whisk the flour, granulated sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt to blend them. Add the butter and toss with your hands to separate the pieces. Freeze the bowl for 30 minutes.

2. Set the oven at 400 degrees. Butter a 9-by-13-inch quarter sheet pan or baking pan and line it with parchment paper, leaving a 2-inch overhang on each of the long ends.

3. In a food processor, pulse the flour and butter mixture until the butter is in small pieces that are slightly smaller than pea-size. Tip the mixture back into the bowl.

Advertisement

4. Pour the buttermilk over the flour mixture. With a rubber spatula, stir gently until the dough starts to come together, adding more buttermilk, 1 tablespoon at a time, if there are dry patches at the bottom of the bowl. With your hands, work the mixture lightly in the bowl until it comes together to form a dough.

5. Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured counter. Pat it into a flat rectangle. Transfer it to the baking pan and pat the dough evenly to the edges of the pan. Brush with milk and sprinkle with turbinado, cane, or granulated sugar.

6. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, or until the biscuit is golden brown. Set the pan on a wire rack to cool.

STRAWBERRIES AND CREAM

2quarts strawberries, halved, or quartered if large
7tablespoons sugar
¼cup lemon juice
¼cup strawberry jam
3cups heavy whipping cream
1tablespoon vanilla extract
1. In a bowl, toss the strawberries with 4 tablespoons of the sugar and the lemon juice. Stir in the jam and let the strawberries macerate for 20 minutes, or until they release their juices.

2. In a chilled bowl with chilled beaters, whip the cream with the remaining 3 tablespoons sugar and vanilla until it forms soft peaks.

3. Using the parchment as handles, transfer the biscuit to a cutting board. Use a serrated knife to cut the biscuit lengthwise into four even strips. Firmly holding the top of a strip and holding the knife parallel to the table, use a sawing motion to split the strips through the middle.

4. On the bottom strips, spoon most of the berries and all of their juices (reserve some berries for garnishing the tops). Set the biscuit tops over the berries. Cut each strip into four pieces.

5. Set the filled biscuits on individual plates or on a platter. Top each with a generous spoonful of whipped cream and garnish with a few strawberries

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Recipe for strawberry shortcake

CAKE
Butter (for the pan)
Flour (for the pan)
cups flour
½teaspoon salt
teaspoons baking powder
½cup granulated sugar
¾cup (1½ sticks) butter, cut up
½cup milk
1egg, lightly beaten in a bowl
Extra granulated sugar (for sprinkling)
1. Set the oven at 375 degrees. Butter an 8-inch round cake pan. Line the bottom with a round of parchment paper cut to fit it. Butter the paper and dust the pan with flour, tapping out the excess.

2. In a large bowl, combine the flour, salt, baking powder, and granulated sugar. Stir the mixture with a pastry blender. Add the butter and cut the butter into the flour with the pastry blender or 2 blunt knives until the mixture resembles crumbs.

3. Stir the milk into the egg. Sprinkle the milk mixture on the flour mixture and use the thin side of a rubber spatula to cut the liquids into the mixture a dozen times to distribute them, rather than stirring them in.

4. Spoon the batter into the pan and use a hand dipped into granulated sugar to pat the batter to the edges of the pan. Add more sugar, if necessary, so the top has a light covering.

5. Bake the cake for 35 minutes, or until the top is firm when pressed with a fingertip. Set on a rack to cool for 20 minutes. Turn out onto a plate, then turn right side up to cool completely.

FILLING

1pint fresh strawberries, halved or quartered if large (save 2 perfect berries)
2teaspoons granulated sugar, or more to taste
Grated rind of ½ orange
1cup heavy cream
2tablespoons confectioners' sugar
Extra confectioners' sugar (for sprinkling)
1. In a bowl, combine the strawberries, granulated sugar, and orange rind. Stir gently. Cover and set aside for 15 to 20 minutes.

2. In a bowl, whisk the heavy cream with the 2 tablespoons confectioners’ sugar.

3. Set the cake on a cake stand or plate. Holding a knife blade horizontal to the table, cut the cake in half. Have a sheet of parchment paper on the counter. Use a wide metal spatula to lift off the top and transfer it to the paper.

4. Spread the cake with the half the cream mixture. Add enough of the berries to make a single layer. Add more cream to make an even surface (you will not use it all). Use the metal spatula to pick up the top of the cake and set it on the bottom. Sprinkle the cake generously with confectioners’ sugar. Cut the remaining berries in half through the stems and use them to garnish the cake. Serve the remaining cream with cake slices.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Recipe for Pavlova with strawberries

Makes one 9-inch cake or enough to serve 6

MERINGUE
1cup sugar
4egg whites
1pinch salt
1teaspoon vanilla extract
6tablespoons sliced almonds
1. Set the oven at 300 degrees. Cut a piece of parchment to fit an unrimmed baking sheet. With a pencil, draw a 9-inch circle in the center. Turn it over and place it on the baking sheet.

2. In a food processor, grind the sugar for 1 minute, or until very fine.
3. In an electric mixer, beat the egg whites and salt on medium-high speed for 3 minutes, or until the whites form firm peaks. With the mixer on medium speed, add the sugar 1 tablespoon at a time. Turn the speed to high and beat for 5 minutes. Stop the machine and dip your index finger into the meringue; rub it between your finger and thumb. If it feels gritty, continue to beat for 1 minute more, or until it feels perfectly smooth in your fingers. With the mixer on low, beat in the vanilla.

4. Use a dab of the meringue to put a tiny amount under the four corners of the parchment to anchor it to the sheet. Spoon the remaining meringue into the circle and, with the back of a spoon, spread it to the edges. Sprinkle all over with almonds.

5. Bake for 1 hour, or until the meringue is crisp on the outside but still a little soft inside. Remove from the oven and cool completely on the baking sheet. Transfer to a flat cake plate.

FILLING

cups heavy cream
1tablespoon sugar
1quart strawberries, hulled and sliced
Few leaves fresh mint (for garnish)
1. In an electric mixer, beat the cream and sugar until it forms soft peaks. Beat in the vanilla.

2. Spread over the meringue. Top with berries and garnish with mint leaves.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Individual Pavlovas with fresh berries

Serves 6

MERINGUE

cups granulated sugar
1tablespoon cornstarch
4egg whites, at room temperature
Pinch of fine sea salt
½teaspoon cream of tartar
1. Set the oven at 215 degrees. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.

2. In a small bowl, whisk the granulated sugar and cornstarch until combined.

3. In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, beat the egg whites and salt on medium speed until foamy. Sprinkle with the cream of tartar. Continue beating just until soft peaks begin to form.

4. With the mixer still on medium speed, slowly add the granulated sugar mixture, 1 tablespoon at a time. This should take 3 to 4 minutes. When all the sugar has been added, beat for an additional 1 to 3 minutes on medium-high, or until the meringue is thick and shiny and forms stiff peaks. Dip your index finger into the meringue and rub it between your finger and thumb. If it feels gritty, continue to beat for 1 minute more, or until it feels smooth between your fingers. Beat in the vanilla.

5. With a large metal spoon, make 6 mounds of meringue, spacing them at least 2 inches apart on the baking sheet (they will expand slightly during baking). Use the back of a small spoon or an offset spatula to spread each mound into a 4-inch circle, making an indentation in the middle for the topping.

6. Bake the meringues for 1 hour and 15 minutes, or until they look dry and feel crisp on the outside. When they lift easily off the parchment, they are done. Turn the oven off and let them cool slowly for 1 hour or longer in the oven, or until they are cool. Store at room temperature covered loosely with foil, for up to 2 days.

TOPPING

2cups heavy (whipping) cream
3tablespoons confectioners' sugar
5cups blueberries, strawberries and blackberries, or a combination
Confectioners' sugar (for sprinkling)
Few leaves fresh mint (for garnish)
1. In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, beat the cream, confectioners’ sugar, and vanilla on medium speed, just until soft peaks form (it will be slightly underwhipped). Remove the bowl from the mixer, and whisk by hand until the cream looks stiffer.

2. Spoon some whipped cream on each of the meringues and top with berries. Sprinkle with confectioners’ sugar and garnish with fresh mint.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Triple Berry Crumb Bars
Serves 24
Prep time 45 minutes
Cook time 1 hour to 1 hour 5 minutes

Ingredients
For the berry filling:
  • 1 1/2 pounds combination of fresh strawberries, blackberries, and blueberries
  • 1 medium lemon
  • 1/2 cup granulated sugar
  • 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
  • 2 tablespoons cornstarch
  • 2 tablespoons cold water
For the crust:
  • Cooking spray
  • 2 1/2 sticks (12 ounces) cold unsalted butter
  • 1 large egg
  • 3 cups all-purpose flour
  • 3/4 cup granulated sugar
  • 1/4 cup packed light brown sugar
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon kosher salt
For the glaze and serving:
  • 1 cup powdered sugar
  • 2 tablespoons milk
  • Ice cream, for serving (optional)
Instructions
Make the filling:
  1. Prepare 1 1/2 pounds fresh berries and place them in a large saucepan: trim and cut strawberries into 1/2-inch thick slices, halve blackberries, and leave blueberries whole.
  2. Finely grate the zest of 1 medium lemon (about 1 tablespoon) into the saucepan. Juice the lemon and add 2 tablespoons of the juice into the saucepan. Add 1/2 cup granulated sugar, 1 teaspoon vanilla extract, and 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt to the saucepan.
  3. Cook over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally, until the juices release and come to a boil. Boil for 1 minute. Reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer, stirring occasionally, until the juices reduce slightly and the berries soften, about 5 minutes. Meanwhile, whisk 2 tablespoons cornstarch and 2 tablespoons cold water together in a small bowl until the cornstarch is dissolved.
  4. While stirring constantly, add the cornstarch mixture and cook until the juices thicken, about 1 minute. Remove from the heat and let cool to room temperature, about 30 minutes. Meanwhile, prepare the crust.
Make the crust:
  1. Arrange a rack in the middle of the oven and heat the oven to 350°F. Lightly coat a 9x13-inch baking pan with cooking spray. Line the pan with overlapping pieces of parchment paper so that there is excess parchment hanging off all four sides to create a sling, then coat the parchment with more cooking spray. (Alternatively, line with aluminum foil and then coat the foil in cooking spray.)
  2. Cut 2 1/2 sticks cold unsalted butter into 1/2-inch cubes. Beat 1 large egg in a small bowl until broken up.
  3. Option 1: Making the crust by hand
    Place 3 cups all-purpose flour, 3/4 cup granulated sugar, 1/4 cup packed light brown sugar, 1 teaspoon baking powder, and 1 teaspoon kosher salt in a large bowl and whisk to combine. Scatter the butter cubes over the flour mixture and drizzle with the egg. Using a pastry cutter or 2 small knives, cut the mixture together until the dough is crumbly, forms pea-sized crumbs, and holds together when pressed.
    Option 2: Using a food processor
    Place 3 cups all-purpose flour, 3/4 cup granulated sugar, 1/4 cup packed light brown sugar, 1 teaspoon baking powder, and 1 teaspoon kosher in a food processor and pulse until combined. Scatter the butter cubes over the flour mixture and pulse until the butter pieces are no larger than a pea. Add the beaten egg and pulse until the mixture holds together when squeezed. Transfer to a large bowl.
  4. Transfer 2/3 of the dough (about 4 1/2 cups) to the baking pan and press evenly into the bottom with your hands or with the bottom of a measuring cup. Using your hands, squeeze the remaining dough in the bowl together to form crumbles no larger than a marble. If the filling is not cooled yet, refrigerate the crust and dough clumps.
  5. Transfer the berry filling onto the crust and spread into an even layer. Sprinkle evenly with the dough crumbles. Bake until the top is golden brown and the filling is bubbling, about 50 minutes. Place the pan on a wire rack and let cool completely, about 3 hours.
Make the glaze:
  1. Place 1 cup powdered sugar, 2 tablespoons milk, 1 teaspoon vanilla extract, and 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt in a small bowl and whisk until smooth.
  2. Remove the crumb bar slab from the pan by grasping the parchment or foil sling. Place on a cutting board. Drizzle with the glaze. Let sit for 30 minutes for the glaze to set. Cut into 24 bars. Serve topped with ice cream if desired.
Recipe Notes
Frozen berries: You can use frozen berries instead of fresh, but do not thaw before using.
Make ahead: The filling can be made up to 1 day ahead and refrigerated. Let come to room temperature before using.
Storage: Store the cooled bars in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 days. To freeze, cool bars completely and cover tightly with plastic wrap and aluminum foil. Freeze for up to 3 months.

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
I saw this on a cooking show and decided to try it for our grandsons, who are into all things camouflage. It was a bit time intensive but fun to make and it turned out great. The boys will like it.

IMG_2517.jpeg

IMG_2518.jpeg

IMG_2522.jpeg

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Blueberry-Lime Snack Cake

Almost like a muffin baked in a 9-inch round, this cake makes a great breakfast when cut into wedges and served with coffee. Cake flour gives it a particularly delicate crumb, but you can substitute an equal amount of all-purpose flour if that’s what you have on hand.

Yield: 8 to 10 servings

Ingredients
  • 2 cups plus 1 tablespoon cake flour
  • 1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
  • ¼ teaspoon baking soda
  • 12 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
  • 1 ¼ cups plus 1 tablespoon sugar
  • ½ teaspoon kosher salt
  • 3 large eggs, at room temperature
  • 1 cup milk, at room temperature
  • ¼ cup freshly squeezed lime juice
  • 2 tablespoons lime zest
  • 1 ½ cups blueberries
Instructions
Preheat the oven to 350°. Lightly grease a 9-inch cake pan with sides at least 2 inches tall and line with parchment paper; grease that, too.

Sift together the flour, baking powder, and baking soda, and set aside. In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment (or in a large bowl with a handheld mixer), beat the butter, 1¼ cups sugar, and salt on high speed until light and fluffy, 4 to 5 minutes. Reduce the speed to low and beat in the eggs one at a time.

Combine the milk and lime juice (it will curdle, and this is OK) in a measuring cup. With the mixer still on low, add the dry ingredients in three parts, alternating each with the milk mixture. Mix in the lime zest. Remove the bowl from the stand mixer and use a rubber spatula to scrape the bottom and sides. Pour the batter into the prepared pan, spread it evenly with the spatula, and scatter the blueberries over the top. Sprinkle with the remaining tablespoon of sugar.

Bake until the cake is golden brown on top (the blueberries will sink into the batter) and the cake is beginning to pull away from the sides, 50 to 55 minutes. Let cool in the pan on a wire rack, then turn out, peel the parchment from the bottom of the cake, and invert onto a serving platter. Cut into wedges and serve warm or at room temperature.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Maple Syrup Tart with Blueberry Compote and Crème FraÎche

Yield: 8 servings

For the crust
Ingredients
  • 2–3 tablespoons heavy cream
  • 1 large egg yolk
  • 1 cup plus 7 tablespoons all-purpose flour
  • 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
  • 1 generous pinch kosher salt
  • 8 tablespoons (1 stick) cold unsalted butter, cut into cubes
Instructions
First, make the crust: In a small bowl, whisk together 2 tablespoons heavy cream and the egg yolk. In the bowl of a food processor, combine the flour, sugar, and salt, and pulse to mix. Add the butter and pulse until the butter pieces are the size of small pebbles. Pour in the cream mixture and pulse to combine. If you grab a small handful and squeeze, it should hold together. If it doesn’t, add the remaining cream and pulse again to incorporate.

Turn the dough out onto a sheet of plastic wrap, and use the wrap to gather the dough into a ball and then flatten it into a disk. Refrigerate for at least 20 minutes and up to overnight.

Remove the dough from the refrigerator and roll between two sheets of parchment paper into a 10-inch circle. Peel off the top parchment, transfer the dough, unpeeled side down, to a 9-inch tart pan with a removable bottom. Remove remaining parchment and press the dough into the corners of the pan. Roll the pin over the top of the tart pan to cut off excess dough, then prick the bottom with a fork. Freeze for at least 30 minutes and up to overnight.

Preheat the oven to 375°. Line the pastry shell with a sheet of parchment paper and fill with pie weights. Set the tart pan on a rimmed baking sheet and bake for 15 minutes, then remove the paper and pie weights. Return to the oven and bake until the crust is golden brown, 10 to 15 minutes longer. Remove and reduce oven temperature to 350°.

For the filling
Ingredients
  • 1 cup maple syrup, preferably dark amber
  • ½ cup heavy cream
  • 2 large eggs
  • 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
  • 1 generous pinch kosher salt
Instructions
Next, make the filling: In a bowl, whisk together the syrup, cream, eggs, flour, and salt. Pour the filling into the crust (still set on the baking pan), then return the tart to the oven and bake until the custard is puffed and set, 25 minutes. Let cool completely on a wire rack, then unmold.

For the topping
Instructions
While the tart bakes, make the blueberry compote. In a small bowl, stir together the cornstarch and 1 tablespoon sugar. Put the remaining 3 tablespoons sugar in a small saucepan over medium heat. Let the sugar cook, without stirring, until it has melted and is a pale golden color. Add 1 cup blueberries. The sugar will seize, but as the blueberries release their juices it will melt again. When the sugar has melted and the mixture looks juicy, stir in the cornstarch mixture and let come to a boil. Remove from the heat and immediately stir in the remaining 1 cup blueberries. Let cool.

To assemble the tart: Put the crème fraîche in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a whisk attachment (or in a bowl with a hand mixer). Beat for 1 to 2 minutes, just until it looks creamy and holds peaks. With a small offset spatula or the back of a spoon, spread the crème fraîche over the surface of the cooled tart. Spoon the blueberry compote onto the center and gently spread it outward, leaving a border of crème fraîche exposed. Chill for at least 30 minutes before serving. To serve, cut into wedges.

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
I have friends who are dedicated deadheads. Every year they celebrate the birth and death dates of Jerry Garcia from The Grateful Dead. There's even an organization dedicated to 'carrying on the legacy of Jerry Garcia.' I am NOT a fan but to each their own, and I am indulging their obsession with some tie-dye cookies to fit the theme. The recipe says the yield is 6 large cookies, but it actually makes 12. You could easily make it into 18 cookies and they'd still be good-sized.

It's a bit time-intensive with making different colors, rolling out the dough into long ropes and then making each segment into a cookie. Next time I'd do it with the grandsons, they'd have fun with a project like this.

IMG_2873.jpeg

The caved-in cookie in the back was from me poking it to make sure it was done. :lol:

IMG_2875.jpeg