Recipes - Cakes And Other Baked Desserts

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
HOT MILK SPONGE CAKE (This is an old recipe that Mom made quite often when we were growing up. It's a bit of a heavier cake, but it's really good. And it rises well. Frost with your favorite chocolate frosting, use it as a base for strawberries. I always frost with French Silk Frosting. Easy to halve the ingredients to make an 8 x 8-inch cake.)

4 eggs
2 cups sugar
2 cups flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 cup hot milk
1 teaspoon vanilla

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Sift flour with baking powder and set aside. In small bowl, beat eggs until thick and lemon-colored. Gradually add sugar, beating until mixture is smooth and well-blended, about 5 minutes. At low speed, blend in flour mixture just until smooth. Add milk and vanilla; beat just until combined; this is a runnier batter, not thick. Pour batter in greased and floured 13 x 9-inch pan. Bake 30-35 minutes or until an inserted cake tester comes out clean. Cool completely. Frost as desired.

FRENCH SILK FROSTING (An old Betty Crocker recipe, I'm thinking circa early 1970s)
2-2/3 cups confectioners' sugar
2/3 cup soft butter
2 ounces unsweetened chocolate, melted and cooled (I sometimes use 3 ounces; I just love chocolate)
3/4 teaspoon vanilla (Go ahead, use one teaspoon)
2 tablespoons milk

In small bowl, blend sugar, butter, chocolate, and vanilla on low speed. Gradually add milk and beat until smooth and fluffy.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Kentucky Derby Pie, allrecipes Version II, makes two pies

1 1/2 Cups sugar
6 Tablespoons flour
6 eggs, beaten by hand
1 1/2 Cups butter, melted
1/3 Cup Kentucky Bourbon whiskey (Jack Daniels works as well)
1 Tablespoon vanilla extract
1 1/2 Cups chocolate chips
1 1/2 Cups chopped walnuts

Combine ingredients and pour into two unbaked pie shells.
Bake at 350 degrees F for 30 - 45 minutes until bubbly and golden brown.

Sour Cream Raisin Pie, yields 1 pie

16 oz sour cream
1 1/2 Cups sugar, or less to taste
3 Tablespoons flour
3 egg yolks, save the whites for the meringue
1 Cup raisins or less to taste

3 egg whites
1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
3/4 Cup sugar

1 9 inch baked pie shell

In a heavy medium saucepan, stir together the first 5 ingredients. Cook, stirring constantly over medium heat until thickened and bubbly. Keep warm.

For Meringue, place the egg whites and cream of tartar in a large clean mixing bowl. Beat with an electric mixer on medium speed until you get soft peaks. Slowly add sugar, one Tablespoon at a time. Beat on high for about 4 minutes until stiff glossy peaks form.

Pour warm filling into baked pie shell. Spread meringue over filling. Bake in a 350 degree F oven for 15 minutes. Remove and cool on wire rack for 1 hour. Chill 3-6 hours before serving. Cover for longer storage.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Chilled Espresso Custard
Chill time at least 3 hours or overnight

2 Cups room temperature 2% or 1% milk (when using 9 oz cups, this quantity fills the cups 1/2 to 3/4).
9 drops monkfruit liquid, or 3 Tbls granular sugar substitute
2 tsp espresso powder, slightly heaping
1 tsp vanilla extract, plus a little
1/2 tsp cornstarch, blended with a little liquid mixture (before the eggs are added)
2 room temperature large eggs, beaten by hand, then added to the blended mixture
ground cinnamon for garnish

In a medium bowl, whisk together milk, monkfruit or sugar sub, espresso and vanilla until well blended. In a small glass, put the cornstarch and add a little liquid from the expresso mixture. Blend the cornstarch into the liquid, add back to the larger bowl and mix. Then add the beaten eggs and stir until well blended.

Pour into the custard cups, and place into a deep skillet (or put the cups into the skillet and then fill them). Fill the skillet with water until it is about halfway up the cups. Don't overfill or water will slop into the cups during boiling.

Bring water to a simmer/low boil over med-high to high heat. Reduce heat to low, cover pan with foil and continue to simmer for at least 10 minutes.

The custard should begin to set at 160 degrees F. Don't go over 175 degrees F. A laser thermometer can be helpful to test the surface of the custard - I remove the foil briefly to keep the temperature from going over 175. (I tried a candy thermometer but I found it more of a hassle and my custard didn't set).

Remove cups from skillet carefully, cover custards with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 3 hours. If water got into the cups, take a little paper towel and wick the water out before putting them into the frig.

When ready to serve, garnish with cinnamon and a lemon twist.

lizzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Gingerbread Cake:
dry ingredients in one bowl:
1 3/4 c all purpose flour
1 c brown sugar
1 T ground ginger
2 t cinnamon
1 t baking powder
3/4 t baking soda
1/2 t salt
1/4 t nutmeg
1/4 t ground cloves
1/4 t 5 spice powder
1/8 t ground black pepper
wet ingredients in separate bowl:
1/4 c molasses
3 eggs
1 c buttermilk
8 oz melted butter,cooled (could also use margarine)
Whisk wet ingredients together and combine with the dry.
Spray with pan spray,or grease well,a 13x9 baking pan
Pour batter into pan
Bake in preheated 350 degree oven for about 30 minutes
Cool and frost with your favorite cream cheese frosting.I bought a premade tub and added a bit of ground ginger to my taste and just stirred it in,but plain would be great too!

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
I posted in another thread yesterday that I was going to try to make madeleines. Winchester Winchester you commented that they were easy to make. You're right, they were!

I just used the recipe on the back of the box. They turned out great, I had one--okay maybe two ;) -- with coffee this morning.

IMG_4196.jpeg

IMG_4194.jpeg

lizzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
lizzie lizzie Thanks for the recipe, I checked with DH and he wants to know when I'm baking it. ;)
I did some "playing" with the recipe this morning.I cut the sugar to about 2/3 c,cut the butter to 1 stick and used 1/4 c. sour cream,and I grated in an apple,peel and all.Hubby is diabetic and I'm always trying to tweek the amount of added sugar and replace it with something else more healthy.I did taste the batter and it was yummy,and it just came out of the oven,smells devine and looks beautiful.Don't think I'm going to frost it...I have some sugar free cool whip and a dollop on a piece of cake ought to work quite well.Just thought I'd pass that on.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Don't think I'm going to frost it...I have some sugar free cool whip and a dollop on a piece of cake ought to work quite well. Just thought I'd pass that on.
Thanks for the tip.:thumbsup: Although DH likes frosting it's not my preference so that's not a problem for me. Usually I dust my cakes with powdered sugar.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Recipes from Joanne Chang of Flour Bakery.

Apple Cider Sticky Buns
Makes 8 buns
You will need at least 2 days to make these but I promise they’re worth the time.

½ recipe (21 ounces/600 grams) Master Brioche Dough (see accompanying recipe)
1 cup (240 grams) apple cider
¼ teaspoon grated orange zest
Big pinch of ground cloves
Big pinch of ground ginger
Big pinch of freshly grated nutmeg
Big pinch of ground allspice
2 Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored, and chopped into ½-inch pieces (about 2 1/3 cups)
1½ sticks (170 grams) unsalted butter
1½ cups (330 grams) firmly packed light brown sugar, divided
¼ cup (85 grams) honey
¼ cup (60 grams) heavy cream
¼ teaspoon kosher salt
¼ cup (50 grams) superfine sugar
1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon

Mix the brioche dough and let it proof for 6 hours, or up to overnight, in the refrigerator.

In a small saucepan, heat the cider, orange zest, cloves, ginger, nutmeg, and allspice to just under a boil. Let the cider simmer for about 10 minutes, until it reduces to about ½ cup. Turn the heat off and add the apples to the reduced cider, then let cool to room temperature. Set a sieve over a bowl and drain the apples; set the apples and cider aside separately.
Place the butter in a medium saucepan and add 1¼ cups (275 grams) of the brown sugar. Heat over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally, until the sugar melts and starts to boil, about 3 minutes (it will look a bit like lava). Whisk in the cider, honey, cream, and salt until thoroughly combined. Remove the mixture from the heat and let cool to room temperature. (At this point, it can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days.)

Generously flour the work surface. Remove the brioche dough from the fridge, unwrap it, and place it on the work surface. Roll out the dough into a 12-by-12-inch square. It will have the consistency of cold, damp Play-Doh and should be fairly easy to roll. In a small bowl, stir together the remaining ¼ cup (55 grams) brown sugar, superfine sugar, and cinnamon. Sprinkle this mixture evenly over the entire surface of the brioche dough square. Scatter the apples evenly on top of the cinnamon sugar.
Starting from the top of the square and working your way down, roll the brioche dough toward you like a jelly roll until the entire sheet is rolled up. Roll tightly so you have a nice round spiral. Trim off about ¼ inch from both ends of the roll to even it out.

Using a sharp chef’s knife, cut the roll crosswise into 8 equal pieces, each about 1½ inches wide. (Note: At this point the unbaked buns can be transferred to a baking sheet or flat plate and frozen, then transferred to a plastic freezer bag and kept frozen for up to a week. When you’re ready to bake the buns, place them on a flat plate, cover with plastic, and let them thaw in the refrigerator overnight or at room temperature for 2 to 3 hours; then proceed as directed.)

Pour the apple cider mixture into a 9-by-13-inch baking pan. Place the buns in the pan, evenly spaced. Cover the pan with plastic wrap and let the buns proof at room temperature for about 2 hours, until the dough is puffy, pillowy, and soft, and the buns are touching.
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and position a rack in the middle. Bake the buns for 30 to 40 minutes, rotating the baking pan midway, until golden brown on the tops and sides; I lift a middle bun partway and give it a poke to make sure the dough is baked through. Remove from the oven and let cool in the pan for 20 to 30 minutes.

Invert the buns one at a time onto a serving platter and spoon any extra goo left in the pan on top. Serve warm.
Sticky buns are best served right away, or within 4 hours of baking, but can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature for a day. Warm them in a 300 degree oven for 6 to 8 minutes before serving.

Master Brioche Dough
Makes about 2½ pounds

1¾ cups (245 grams) all-purpose flour
2 cups (300 grams) high-gluten bread flour
1¼-ounce packet (7 grams) active dry yeast
1/3 cup (65 grams) sugar
2½ teaspoons kosher salt
4 large eggs (about 200 grams), at room temperature
2¼ sticks (255 grams) unsalted butter, cut into 10 to 12 pieces, at room temperature

In a stand mixer fitted with a dough hook attachment, combine the all-purpose flour, bread flour, yeast, sugar, salt, ½ cup (120 grams) cold water, and the eggs. Mix on low speed until the ingredients have come together, about 3 to 4 minutes. Scrape the bowl as necessary to make sure all the flour is incorporated into the wet ingredients. Mix on low for another 3 to 4 minutes once the dough has come together. It will be very stiff.

Add the butter to the dough piece by piece and continue mixing on low for about 10 minutes. The butter needs to mix completely into the dough, so stop the mixer occasionally to scrape the sides of the bowl and, if necessary, break up the dough with your hands to help the butter mix in.

Once the butter is completely incorporated, mix on medium for another 15 minutes, until the dough becomes sticky and soft and somewhat shiny. Turn the mixer up to medium-high and mix for about 1 minute — you should hear a slap-slap-slap sound as the dough hits the sides of the bowl. Test the dough by pulling at it — it should stretch a bit and have a little give. If it seems wet and loose and more like a batter than a dough, add a few tablespoons of either all-purpose or bread flour and mix until it comes together. If it breaks off into pieces when you pull at it, continue to mix it on medium for another 2 to 3 minutes, until it develops more strength and stretches when you grab it. When it’s ready you should be able to gather it all together and pick it up all as one piece.

Place the dough in a large bowl or plastic container and cover the top with plastic wrap pressed directly against the surface of the dough to prevent a skin from forming. Let the dough proof in the refrigerator for at least 6 hours or up to overnight, then it will be ready to use.

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
I've been given a bunch of apples by a friend whose trees are overflowing this year. I made applesauce with the last batch. I thought I'd make an apple pie with some of the ones I got this week. I was also craving something pumpkin-y and look what I found: Pecan Apple Pumpkin Pie - Recipes | Go Bold With Butter

It's a little time-consuming to make, but it was delicious.

IMG_4510.jpeg

IMG_4520.jpeg

lizzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just tried this recipe today and was very happy with the outcome.Thought I'd share.

Pumpkin Dessert

1 can pumpkin puree
1 can evaporated milk
3 eggs
3/4 cup sugar
4 t. pumpkin pie spice
1 box dry yellow cake mix (could also use spice cake)
3/4 cup melted butter
Grease a 13x9 baking pan.
Combine pumpkin,milk,eggs,sugar and spice in mixing bowl and beat til well combined.Pour into prepared pan.
Sprinkle cake mix over the top and drizzle with the melted butter.
Bake at 350 for about an hour.It's done when you test with a knife in the center and it comes out clean.

This is like a crustless pie with a topping that's kind of crunchy.Delicious!

lizzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I found this recipe in Better Homes and Gardens and it sounds wonderful!I'm going to try it for sure!

Carmelized Pear Skillet Cake (yes,it's an upside down cake)

1/2 c butter
2/3 c packed light brown sugar
4 Bosc pears,peeled,halved lengthwise and cored (I am going to try canned pear halves in light syrup well drained)
2 c flour
1 t baking powder
1 t ground ginger
1/4 t salt
1/4 t baking soda
1/4 t nutmeg
1/4 t ground cloves
1/2 c butter softened
2 eggs
1/2 cup molasses
3/4 c water
Place 1/2 c butter in 10" cast iron skillet (my calphalon will have to do).Place in cold oven,preheat oven to 350.Once butter has melted,whisk in 1/3 c brown sugar into the melted butter in the skillet.Arrange pears cut sides down in the skillet and roast 20-25 minutes until tender and starting to brown.
Meanwhile in a medium bowl whisk together the flour,baking powder and soda,salt and spices.
In a large mixing bowl,beat the 1/2 c softened butter on medium speed for 30 seconds.Add remaining 1/3 cup brown sugar,beating til combined.Beat in eggs and molasses.Alternately add flour mixture and water to the mixing bowl,beating on low after each addition til combined.Pour batter over pears.
Bake 30 to 35 minutes until toothpick inserted near center comes out clean.Cool in skillet 10 minutes.
Invert onto a serving platter and drizzle with bourbon sauce...which is optional.
Bourbon sauce:
In a small saucepan,melt 1/4 c butter over medium heat.Cool.Stir in 1/2 c sugar,1 egg yolk and 2 T water.Cook and stir 6 to 8 minutes until just boiling.Remove from heat and stir I n 2 T bourbon and let cool.

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
I found the most amazing recipe for cinnamon rolls. Almost 400 people have given it an average rating of 4.96 so I thought it must be worth trying. I made the rolls today, and oh, mama. These are absolutely incredible!

Next time I make them—and there will be a next time—I’m going to divide the dough in two before I roll it out because these things are mammoth. I’m also not going to cheat and buy cream cheese frosting because it just isn’t as good as homemade. But they’re still awesome! :yummy:

Secret Ingredient Homemade Cinnamon Rolls {Cinnabon Copycat}

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I've mentioned these in the What's For Dinner? - 2019 thread, but thought I'd post the recipe here.
Since there's no flour, these should be suitable for anyone on a Gluten Free diet.

Original recipe: Black Bean Brownies Recipe
After reading the comments, this is my version.

Black Bean Brownies

1 1/2 cups Black Beans (see note below)
3 Eggs
3 tablespoons Vegetable Oil
1/4 cup Cocoa Powder
pinch Salt
1/2 teaspoon Baking Powder
1/2 teaspoon Baking Soda
1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
3/4 cup White Sugar
1/2 cup Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips

Note: Black beans can be either drained and rinsed canned beans, or cooked dried beans.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly grease an 8x8 square baking dish.

Combine black beans, eggs, vegetable oil, cocoa powder, salt, baking powder, baking soda, vanilla extract and white sugar in a blender. Blend until smooth.

Pour mixture into baking dish. Sprinkle chocolate chips over the top of the mixture.

Bake 30 minutes or until top appears dry and edges are pulling away from sides of pan.

Makes 16 brownies.

1575040301371.png

Last edited:

lizzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I saw this recipe on a PBS program this morning called Pati's Mexican Table,and I thought not only did it sound good but it looked good as well.I'm going to try it for sure!

Chickpea Poundcake

1 c soft butter
1/2 t cinnamon
1 c sugar
1 can chickpeas rinsed,drained and pureed in food processor
6 eggs separated....save the whites
1/2 c flour
2 t baking powder
1/4 t salt
Cream butter,sugar and cinnamon til light and fluffy.Add chickpea puree and mix well to combine.Add the yolks and mix well,then the flour,baking powder and salt.In a separate bowl,beat the whites til light and fluffy but not dry looking...stiff peaks...and fold into the chickpea mixture.She greased and floured a 9" cake pan,lined the bottom with parchment paper and greased that as well.Mine doesn't look to be as deep as hers so I'm going to use a springform pan,greasing and flouring with the parchment paper.Bake in preheated 350 degree oven for 30-35 minutes...toothpick should come out clean to test for doneness.She flipped hers out onto a nice cake plate and sprinkled with powdered sugar.But then.....
1 c heavy cream beaten with 5 T powdered sugar and 1/2 t cinnamon to stiff peaks
2 bananas sliced into 1/4" or so rounds sauteed in 2 T butter til they just start to caramelize
She cut a slice of cake,topped with a dollop of whipped cream and a few slices of the sauteed bananas.Oh my!