80ml milk
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 tsp cinnamon

For the cinnamon sugar topping:
2 tbsp granulated sugar
1 tsp cinnamon

Makes about 6 muffins

Preheat oven to 350 F.

Cut the bread into cubes. Whisk the eggs with the milk, vanilla extract, and the 2 tsp of cinnamon. Soak the bread cubes in the liquid mixture for 2 hours in the refrigerator. Scoop the bread mixture into a lined muffin tin. Combine the granulated sugar with the 1 tsp of cinnamon. Sprinkle the cinnamon sugar topping over the bread mixture. Bake in the oven for about 25 minutes. Enjoy while warm. Top with maple syrup or your favorite topping if preferred.

The muffins can be refrigerated reheated in the microwave and even frozen.

Attachments

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Coffee cake streusel muffins

Makes 12 muffins.

Ingredients

The spice streusel:
  • ½ cup flour
  • ½ cup dark or light brown sugar
  • 4 tablespoons butter, at room temperature, cut into small pieces
  • 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
  • ¼ teaspoon ground allspice

The muffin mixture:
  • Vegetable oil or 12 muffin or cupcake liners
  • 2 ¼ cups flour
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • ½ teaspoon baking soda
  • Pinch salt
  • 5 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
  • ⅓ cup vegetable oil
  • ¾ cup sugar
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 cup sour cream
  • Softened butter for serving, optional

Instructions
Make the spice streusel:
  1. In a medium-sized bowl mix the flour, sugar and butter together. Use your hands to crumble the butter into the mixture so it resembles small peanut-sized pieces. Add the cinnamon, nutmeg, and allspice and mix. Set aside.
  2. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 12-cup muffin tin with vegetable oil (or place cupcake liners into the muffin trays).

Make the muffin batter:
  1. In a medium bowl whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt; set aside.
  2. In a large bowl, using a handheld mixer or a stand mixer, beat the butter, vegetable oil, sugar, and vanilla together until smooth and light, about 5 minutes. Add the eggs, one at a time, and beat until thoroughly incorporated. Add the sour cream and mix until almost smooth. Slowly add the flour mixture and beat just until combined.
  3. Fill the muffin tins halfway with the muffin batter. Sprinkle on half the streusel. Use the back of a kitchen spoon to press down the mixture. Spoon the remaining batter on top of each muffin and then top with the remaining streusel and gently use the spoon to press the streusel down onto the batter.
  4. Bake on the middle shelf for around 20 to 30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, and the streusel is golden brown. Remove and place on a cooling rack for about 5 minutes. Serve warm or at room temperature with softened butter, if you like.

The muffins will keep covered at room temperature for 2 days. They can also be double-wrapped and frozen for a month.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Lemon Blueberry Bread Recipe

Serves 8 to 10, Makes 1 (9x5-inch) loaf
Prep time 15 minutes to 20 minutes
Cook time 55 minutes to 1 hour 5 minutes

Ingredients
  • Cooking spray or vegetable oil
  • 1 1/2 cups fresh or frozen blueberries (about 7 ounces, do not thaw)
  • 4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) unsalted butter
  • 1 cup granulated sugar
  • 2 medium lemons
  • 2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon kosher salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 cup whole- or low-fat plain yogurt (not Greek)
  • 2 large eggs
  • 3/4 cup powdered sugar
Instructions

Make the bread:
  1. Arrange a rack in the middle of the oven and heat the oven to 350°F. Meanwhile, coat a 9x5-inch loaf pan with oil or cooking spray. Cut 1 1/2 cups blueberries in half if the berries are large (they’re easier to cut while still frozen).
  2. Place 4 tablespoons unsalted butter in a microwave-safe medium bowl and microwave until melted, about 30 seconds. (Alternatively, melt on the stovetop and pour into a medium bowl.)
  3. Place 1 cup granulated sugar in a large bowl. Finely grate the zest of 2 medium lemons (about 1 packed tablespoon) onto the sugar; reserve the lemons for juicing. Use your fingers to rub the zest into the sugar until it's well-combined and fragrant. Add 2 cups all-purpose flour, 1 teaspoon baking powder, 1 teaspoon kosher salt, and 1/4 teaspoon baking soda to the lemon sugar and whisk to combine.
  4. Juice the zested lemons into a small liquid measuring cup until you have 1/3 cup juice. Transfer 3 tablespoons to the butter (reserve the remaining juice for the glaze). Add 1 cup plain yogurt and 2 large eggs to the butter and whisk until combined.
  5. Add the yogurt mixture to the flour mixture and stir with a rubber spatula until almost combined and a few streaks of flour remain. Add the blueberries and fold until just combined and no streaks of flour remain. Do not overmix; the mixture will be very thick. Scrape the batter into the loaf pan, push it into the corners, and smooth the top.
  6. Bake until light golden-brown on top and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, 55 to 65 minutes. Place on a wire rack and let cool for 10 minutes. Run a thin knife around the bread to loosen it from the pan, then flip out of the pan and place back on the rack to cool completely, about 1 hour 15 minutes more. Cut slices with a serrated knife.
Make the glaze:
  1. Add 3/4 cup powdered sugar to the reserved lemon juice and whisk until smooth. Spoon evenly over the top of the bread, letting some of it drip down the sides. Let sit until the icing is set before slicing, 15 to 20 minutes.
Recipe Notes
Storage: The bread can be tightly wrapped in plastic wrap or stored in an airtight container and kept at room temperature for up to 4 days.

lizzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Here is the recipe for the Amish Onion Bread.The topping is to die for,but it's my opinion that the "bread"is kinda bland,and I'm thinking the topping needs to be "swirled"into the bread batter.
For the topping:2 large chopped onions,1/2 c butter,1 1/2 t. salt,1 t pepper,1 1/2 t. paprika,1 T everything bagel topping or poppy seeds (I used the bagel topping)Melt the butter in a skillet and add the onions.Saute, stir,and when they get a bit caramelized,add the seasonings and stir.Set aside off the heat.
Bread batter:2 c flour,1/4 c cornstarch,1 T baking powder,2 T sugar,1 t salt-combine in mixing bowl.Work in 3/4 c butter,when crumbly,add 1/2 c sour cream,2 large eggs and enough milk to make a pancake like batter.
Grease and flour a 9" square pan and in goes the batter.Here's where I differ with what they say.They say to spoon the onions over the top of the batter and bake at 350 for 35-45 minutes,which I did .To me the bread is rather bland and I'm thinking to swirl the onions into the batter and bake,which is what I'll do next time I make it.It is very good,very moist,I will say that.Let me know what you think:)