1 T unflavored gelatin mixed with 1/4 cup water

1 8-oz package cream cheese, room temp

1 cup mayo

1/2 cup finely chopped onion

1/2 cup finely chopped celery

1/2 cup finely chopped bell pepper

1 small can shrimp, drained and shredded

1 small can crabmeat, drained and shredded

Heat soup to boiling.  Add gelatin mixture and then cream cheese and mayo beat until well mixed.  Add vegies and seafood.  Pour into greased jello mold.  Chill until firm.  Unmold on to plate or platter, garnish with lettuce or parsley and serve with crackers.  Very delish!

Microwave:  Heat soup in glass dish to boiling, 1 - 2 min, then stir in gelatin to dissolve.  Soften cream cheese 15 - 20 seconds in micro and beat that and mayo into soup mixture.  add vegies and seafood and follow instructions as above.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Spiced Nuts

1/2 cup unsalted butter

4 cups pecans

2 T worchestershire sauce

1 T soy sauce

1/2 t salt

1/2 t cinnamon

1/2 t allspice

1/2 t ground cloves

1/2 t garlic powder

in large microwave safe bowl, melt butter, then add nuts.  Add all other ingredients and mix well.  microwave on high for 6 - 8 minutes, stirring every 3 minutes. 

Serve warm or at room temp.  Store in a tightly sealed container.

Note:  This is an allrecipes.com recipe.  Trust the ingredients to be correct.  The only deviation I make is in the nuts.  Sometimes I will do a combination of pecans, walnuts and almonds, as long as they still equal 4 cups. 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
CRANBERRY MEATBALLS

Meatballs:

2 eggs, lightly beaten

1 cup cornflake crumbs

1/3 cup ketchup

2 tablespoons soy sauce

1 tablespoon dried parsley flakes

2 tablespoons dried minced onion

1/2 teaspoon salt

1/4 teaspoon pepper

2 pounds ground pork

Sauce:

1 can (14 ounces) jellied cranberry sauce

1 cup ketchup

3 tablespoons brown sugar

1 tablespoon lemon juice

In a large bowl, combine meatball ingredients. Shape into 72 meatballs (1 inch each).

Place meatballs on a greased rack in a shallow baking pan. Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until a thermometer reads 160 degrees. Remove from the oven; drain on paper towels.

In a large saucepan, combine sauce ingredients. Cook, stirring frequently, until the cranberry sauce is melted. Add the meatballs and heat through. Yield: 12 main-dish or 24 appetizer servings.

Note: I like to use one pound of ground pork and one pound of ground beef. This is a good make-ahead dish. I like to make the meatballs the day ahead and then put them in the fridge. The morning of your party, mix the meatballs with the sauce and place in lightly greased crock pot. Turn the crock pot to low and keep warm until serving time.

mepsenhart

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Death Dip

1 lb ground beef

1 lg pkg cream cheese (solid not whipped)

1 lg pkg cheddar cheese (shredded)

1 jar extra thick salsa

1 pkg taco seasoning

Prepare ground beef per directions on taco seasoning.

Add salsa to ground beef and cook out the extra liquid

Layer meat, cream cheese, cheddar cheese, place remaining cheese as last layer.

Heat in oven until cheese is melted.

Serve with lime chips!!

***You can substitute ingredients and use lower fat cheeses and leaner
meat but this is a fatty treat either way.

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I stumbled across this one on Pinterest. I haven't tried it yet but I'm planning on it either for SuperBowl Sunday or the Daytona 500. Sounds yummy!

Savory Spinach Bites

Servings: 18-24 spinach bites, depending on how big you make them

Ingredients

1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter

1 small onion, chopped (about 1/2 cup)

1 teaspoon minced garlic (about 1 clove)

2 10-ounces packages frozen chopped spinach, thawed and drained

1 8-ounce bag of herbed seasoned stuffing mix

6 large eggs

1 cup grated Parmesan cheese

Salt and pepper, to taste

Instructions

1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.

2. In a large sauté pan over medium heat, melt the butter.

3. Add onion and cook until the onions are translucent and soft, about 5 minutes or so.

4. Add the garlic and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds.  Remove the pan from the heat and let cool.

5.  In the meantime, remove excess water from thawed spinach by pressing it between paper towels. **You do not need to cook the spinach.

6.  In a large bowl, combine the stuffing mix, spinach, eggs, Parmesan, salt and pepper, and onion/garlic mixture.  Combine well.

7. Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.

8.  One at a time, using your hands, roll the mixture into individual 1-inch balls.  Place each one on the parchment-lined baking sheet.

9.  Bake the balls for about 15-20 minutes, or until very slightly browned.  **Your kitchen will smell fantastic, I promise.

Dipping sauces:  I used marinara, but you could use Ranch dressing, sour cream, horseradish, etc.  Whatever you like!

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
This recipe is from the Ball Complete Book of Home Preserving.

Strawberry Lemonade Concentrate

6 cups hulled strawberries
4 cups freshly squeezed lemon juice
6 cups granulated sugar

Prepare canner, jars, and lids.

In a blender or food processor fitted with a metal blade, working in batches, puree strawberries until smooth. Transfer to a large stainless steel saucepan as completed. Add lemon juice and sugar and stir to combine. Heat to 190 degrees F (88 C) over medium-high heat, stirrring occasionally. Do not boil. Remove from heat and skim off foam.

Ladle hot concentrate into hot jars, leaving 1/4 inch (0.5cm) headspace. Wipe rim. Center lid on jar. Screw band down until resistance is met, then increase to fingertip-tight.

Place jars in canner, ensuring they are completely covered with water. Bring to a boil and process for 15 minutes. Remove canner lid. Wait 5 minutes, then remove jars, cool, and store.

To reconstitute, mix one part concentrate with one part water, tonic water or ginger ale. Adjust concentrate to taste.

Makes 7 pints

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
Posting this here before I forget what I did. :lol3: my husband and I had this as a meal, but I am going to serve it as an appetizer for a group

Lettuce wraps

1 pound lean ground turkey breast
1 small onion, finely chopped
3 cloves garlic, chopped
4 tsp. rice vinegar (no sugar, no sodium). (I think I would use a little more next time)
4 tbsp low sodium soy sauce (I think I wold use 3 next time)
4 tbsp sriracha hot chili sauce (I like the heat, but would dial it back for a crowd)
1 tbsp hoisin sauce
Few shakes of fish sauce
4 ounce diced water chestnuts
4 tbsp chopped green onions
4 tbsp chopped fresh cilantro

chopped peanuts for garnish (optional)
lettuce ( I used romaine)

Instructions

I sautéed the onion and garlic in a small amount of sesame oil until slightly translucent. I then added the ground turkey to the pan. When turkey is fully cooked, remove pan from heat and add remaining ingredients except for the lettuce and peanuts. Mix well. Spoon the turkey mixture into the lettuce leaves and top with chopped peanuts.

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise

Buffalo Chicken Meatballs

1 lb ground chicken breast
1 egg
1/2 cup quick or old fashioned oats
1/4 red onion, minced
2 tsp minced garlic (I used more)
1/2 tsp dried dill
1 tsp dried chives
1 tsp dried parsley
1 tsp dried onion powder
1/2 tsp sea salt
2 oz fat free crumbled feta
1-2 tbsp franks red hot wing sauce

Combine all, shape into 12 balls, bake at 375 degrees, flipping halfway through.
I baked for around 25 minutes.

Coat with more hot wing sauce and serve.

Last edited:

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Baby Bellini (non-alcoholic)

2 oz. peach nectar

Chilled sparkling cider

Frozen raspberries 

Pour the peach nectar into a champagne flute, then add the cider, and drop 1 or 2 raspberries in the glass.

I've not yet tried this, but I am making them for a baby shower this weekend, so the mommy-to-be can feel as if she's having a cocktail.

You can buy cans of peach nectar at Wegmans, according to their website. Goya makes it, so it would be in the ethnic foods aisle.

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Orange Lemonade

1-3/4 cups sugar

2-1/2 cups water

1-1/2 cups fresh lemon juice (about 8 lemons)

1-1/2 cups fresh orange juice (about 5 oranges)

2 Tbsp. grated lemon peel

2 Tbsp. grated orange peel

Fresh lemon and orange slices, optional

In a medium saucepan, combine sugar and water. Cook over medium heat, stirring occasiionally, until sugar dissolves. Cool.

Add juices and peel to cooled sugar syrup. Cover and let stand at room temperature one hour. Strain syrup, cover and refrigerate.

To serve, fill glasses or pitcher with equal amounts of fruit syrup and water. Add ice and serve. Yield: 12 servings.

Note: I need 9 lemons and 6 oranges to get the required juice. I add some slices of orange and lemon to the glasses with the ice cubes. And instead of adding water, we use equal amount of iced tea and fruit syrup. We're big iced tea drinkers, so we prefer it that way. It's refreshing and delicious.
How about soda water?

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
I suppose you could use soda water, Judy. Not for the sugar syrup, but you could fill the glasses with the soda water.

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
It just took me far too long to find this recipe, so I'm going to post it for the next time I need it:

Buffalo Chicken Dip

1 (8 oz) pkg cream cheese
2 (10 oz) cans shredded white meat chicken, drained
1/2 cup buffalo chicken sauce
1/2 cup sour cream
1 (8 oz) bag shredded cheddar cheese

Spread cream cheese in bottom of baking dish or pie plate. In bowl combine chicken, hot wing sauce and sour cream. Spread mixture over cream cheese and top with shredded cheese. Bake at 350 degrees for 18-20 minutes and cheese is bubbly. Serve with tortilla chips.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It just took me far too long to find this recipe, so I'm going to post it for the next time I need it:

Buffalo Chicken Dip

1/2 cup sour cream

Spread cream cheese in bottom of baking dish or pie plate. In bowl combine chicken, hot wing sauce and sour cream. Spread mixture over cream cheese and top with shredded cheese. Bake at 350 degrees for 18-20 minutes and cheese is bubbly. Serve with tortilla chips.
This sounds like my DD's dream come true. :yummy:

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise

Buffalo Chicken Dip

1/2 cup sour cream

That is one of my top appetizers.
We use a half bottle of Marzettie's Blue Cheese dressing as well.

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Baby Bellini (non-alcoholic)

2 oz. peach nectar

Chilled sparkling cider

Frozen raspberries

Pour the peach nectar into a champagne flute, then add the cider, and drop 1 or 2 raspberries in the glass.

I've not yet tried this, but I am making them for a baby shower this weekend, so the mommy-to-be can feel as if she's having a cocktail.

You can buy cans of peach nectar at Wegmans, according to their website. Goya makes it, so it would be in the ethnic foods aisle.
I have been making these for our Christmas dinner at home and for the office lunch at work for a couple of years now, and they are a hit!
It's now a Christmas tradition.

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Mongolian buuz (steamed dumplings) make a great appetizer or meal. They're not hard to make, and they freeze well. Mine are made with hamburger, but chopped beef from various livestock or ground lamb are traditional. Traditionally, they are served with ketchup to dip them; I like soy sauce, although ketchup is also tasty. These are now a Christmas dinner tradition in my house, served as an appetizer at my buffet. Every year, I keep the basic menu, but add a dish from one of my ethnicities to keep it interesting. This is why we have Mongolian food with Yorkshire dishes! 23 & Me just updated my DNA test, so next year, I 'll have to make something Spanish/Portuguese or Turkish!

Mongolian Buuz (Steamed Dumplings)

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I saw this and thought it makes a good summer non-alcohoic drink for anyone :) It's a common drink during Ramadan to break the fast. A Middle Eastern market may have the dried apricot paste.

Serves 12
Makes 3 1/2 quarts
Prep time 10 minutes

Ingredients
  • 1 (approximately 14-ounce) package Qamar Al-Din (dried apricot paste)
  • 6 cups warm water
  • 1/4 cup granulated sugar
  • 6 cups cold water
  • Ice
  • 12 fresh mint sprigs
Instructions
  1. Cut dried apricot paste into 2-inch squares. Transfer to a blender and add 6 cups warm water. Cover and let soak until softened, about 4 hours.
  2. Add 1/4 cup granulated sugar and blend until smooth.
  3. Fit a fine-mesh strainer over a 3 1/2-quart or larger pitcher, or over a large bowl (if you don’t have a pitcher that large). Pour the apricot mixture through the strainer and press on the solids to extract as much liquid as possible; discard the contents of the strainer. Add 6 cups cold water to the strained mixture and stir to combine.
  4. Pour into ice-filled glasses and garnish each glass with a sprig of fresh mint.
Recipe Notes
Storage: Leftovers can be refrigerated in an airtight container for up to 5 days. Stir before serving

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Serves 4, Makes about 5 1/2 cups
Prep time 5 minutes to 7 minutes

Ingredients
  • 4 cups ice
  • 2 cups chocolate milk
  • 1 cup powdered hot chocolate mix, or 4 (1.38-ounce) packets Swiss Miss Hot Cocoa Mix
  • Whipped cream (optional)
  • Chocolate shavings or sprinkles, optional
Instructions
  1. Places 4 cups ice, 2 cups chocolate milk, and 1 cup powdered hot chocolate mix in a blender. Blend on high speed until completely smooth, about 1 minute.
  2. Divide the frozen hot chocolate into 4 glasses. Top with whipped cream and chocolate shavings or sprinkles, if desired.