Recipe Please.

bbdoll22

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I’m in search of a great beef stroganoff recipe. I don’t like the recipes that call for ground beef I prefer chunks of beef.
Please and thank you.

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
from The Art of Russian Cooking by Nina Nicolaieff and Nancy Phelan
Doubleday & Company, 1969

2 pounds fillet or rump steak
1 medium sized onion
1 tablespoon butter
3/4 pound mushrooms
1 teaspoon salt
pepper to taste
1/2 cup sour cream

Cut the meat into the thinnest possible strips, about 1/2 inch by 2 inches. This will be easier if it is frozen almost hard. Chop up the onion, fry it in the butter. Slice the mushrooms, add to the onions, and fry until almost cooked. Add the meat, salt and pepper and cook for about 10 minutes for fillet steak or 20 minutes for rump. Pour the sour cream over and bring just to the boil. Put in deep dish and serve immediately.
Boeuf Stroganoff is usually eaten with French-fried potatoes or plain boiled rice.

The authors also note that there are numerous variations. In South Russia, tomato paste or puree has been introduced; in France white wine is used; different cooks vary the quantity of butter; and green onions are often substituted for onions to give a more delicate flavor.

Catapault's comments:
1 Tablespoon of butter is nowhere near enough to saute the mushrooms, at least double if not triple the quantity..
Forget the French fries, possibly even the rice. My suggestions - serve over broad egg noodles.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
This is from a food board that I go to regularly. It's delicious. I like it because I like the little bit of Dijon and horseradish in the mix. If you don't, you can omit.

Beef Stroganoff

It helps to cut thin strips of the beef by putting the meat into the freezer for 20 to 30 minutes first.

6 Tbsp butter
1 ½ lbs top sirloin or tenderloin, cut thin into 1-inch wide by 2 1/2-inch long strips
2/3 cup chopped shallots
1 pound mushrooms, sliced
Salt and pepper to taste
1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
1 tsp dry tarragon or thyme or dill
1 ½ to 2 cup of sour cream, room temp
2 Tbl Dijon OR 1 Tbl Dijon + 1 Tbl horseradish
1 cup wine, cognac or broth
*OPTIONAL - pinch of paprika

Melt 3 Tbsp of butter in a large skillet on medium heat. Increase the heat to high/med-high and add the strips of beef. You want to cook the beef quickly, browning on each side, so the temp needs to be high enough to brown the beef, but not so high as to burn the butter. You may need to work in batches.

While cooking the beef, sprinkle with some salt and pepper. When both sides are browned, remove the beef to a bowl and set aside.

In the same pan, reduce the heat to medium and add the shallots. Cook the shallots for a minute or two, allowing them to soak up any meat drippings. Remove the shallots to the same bowl as the meat and set aside.

In the same pan, melt another 3 Tbsp of butter. Increase heat to medium high and add the mushrooms. Cook, stirring occasionally for about 4 minutes. While cooking, sprinkle the nutmeg and the tarragon on the mushrooms. As they approach done, use some of the liquid to deglaze the pan from the saute work.

Then, in a bowl, combine the remaining liquid, sour cream, Dijon/horseradish, and. if you like. a pinch of paprika and mix well.

Reduce the heat to low and add the sour cream mixture to the mushrooms. You may want to add a tablespoon or two of water to thin the sauce (or not). Mix in the sour cream thoroughly. Do not let it come to a simmer or boil or the sour cream will curdle. Stir in the beef and shallots. Add salt and pepper to taste.
Serve immediately over egg noodles, fettucine, potatoes, or rice. (Potatoes, rice, and gluten-free pasta are gluten-free options.)