Recipe for Supplementing Hare Today

Anoxia

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello! I'm currently using Alnutrin to supplement my food, but long-term I'd like to move towards adding supplements myself. I'm wondering what recipe is used to supplement Hare Today mixes?

I initially tried going off of existing recipes and just removing the meat, liver, and bone from their recipes. As an example, I started with Dr. Pierson's recipe for 3 lbs of meat; however, her recipe seems to include 5.9% to 7.7% liver, whereas the ones from Hare Today has 5%. Would this mean using her modified recipe (basically the same, but no meat and no liver) would be inappropriate?

I tried searching through this site as well, and some recipes I found include:
[ 1 ] [ 2 ] [ 3 ]
* 1 and 2 both come from feline-nutrition, but when they are converted to be based off of the same amount of meat, they seem to use different ratios? I'm also not sure where the numbers are coming from when compared to the current recipe.
* 3 looks like the modified Dr. Pierson recipe (where it's the same, but the meat and liver have been removed; it also looks like the Morton Lite salt amount has been halved) but the user asks for feedback for users who use rabbit from Hare Today.

(As a note, only the rabbit grind in my order includes secreting organs. All other grinds I'm purchasing are either 100% meat or have 5% liver with no other organs.)

Is following a recipe and removing meat/liver/bone but keeping the rest the way to go? Is it just a matter of picking one recipe and seeing if it works for my cats and, if not, trying another? Something else?

Thank you!

minish

minish first..
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I believe people who use hare today are best qualified to answer but since I have obsessed over these issues I'd like to share with you my conclusions from all the different recipes by trusted sources and people who have been feeding raw for a while having done similar research:
1.Calcium-phospohorus ratio is very important overdoing one causes problems. Since you are using premix with bone from a trusted source it won't be an issue for you
2.hearts are used for taurine and may be compensated by adding taurine for the missing hearts. other internal organs such as kidney are not that important since they can be compensated by meat and supplements. Taurine addition is necessary but above the minimum requirements no one in the industry can say for certain how much
3.taurine,vitamins, etc. When digested, Some are soluble in water some in oil. Those soluble in water are safe to overdo. (it may be vice versa you may check its the same with humans)
4.fat content differs with meat source so it's good to alternate. Yet none of these is mice so no perfect meat for our kitties
5.since it's a source of vitamin a too much liver is more of a concern than too little of it.

If you feed the same exact recipe for a long time you may observe some effects (constipation if bone is too much etc.) some you won't. This is one of the scariest parts of preparing your own cat food.

But, no two commercial cat foods are the same either. We humans don't eat the same type and exact amounts of all nutrition sources either.

My approach is I alternate minish's diet with different recipes and commercial food. As long as it fits the basic structure, I believe these changes can compensate whatever may be missing in one recipe. It has other benefits as well such as reduced chance of allergies