Recipe For A High-fiber Raw Diet

fartymonk

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, I recently rescued a kitten with digestive/passing stools problem. A vet visit ended up with a prescription of Royal Canin Fibre Response to help.

My other cats are all given raw food, usually consist of chicken breast mixed with boar/pork, beef, lamb, and/or fish. They all have access to grass or fruits/greens for fibre, whenever they are available. And before RC (before I realized he got a problem), I was giving him the same stuff my other cats eat.

Does anyone here have a suggestion about a high-fibre diet recipe? Or a special diet for this kind of situation? I'm looking all over the web for a recipe, but I found nothing. I could add pumpkin or pysillium husk to the mix, but I don't know how much should I put without making his condition worse.

Thank you in advance!

Azazel

Time spent with cats is never wasted.
Top Cat
Purraise
Do you add bone to your raw food mix? You might consider replacing it with eggshell powder for your cat having constipation issues. The addition of psyillium husk is a good idea too.

There is some information on this page about substituting bone with eggshell powder and adding fiber to raw diets. Making Cat Food

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

fartymonk

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for the link! It really helps!

For the chicken breast, only soft bones (not grinded, but cut to a small enough pieces). For others, usually I bought grinded bone-in meat made for dogs/cats, except for boar and pork.

I'm also reading the links provided in stickies in this forum section too. There's so much to read :)

Azazel

Time spent with cats is never wasted.
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the link! It really helps!

For the chicken breast, only soft bones (not grinded, but cut to a small enough pieces). For others, usually I bought grinded bone-in meat made for dogs/cats, except for boar and pork.

I'm also reading the links provided in stickies in this forum section too. There's so much to read :)
I would really follow an established recipe. The best ones in my opinion are on catinfo.org and feline-nutrition.org.

I would be careful with bones cut into small pieces, depending on how small they are they could be choking hazards. You typically want to grind the bones to a very small size.

Gizmobius

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Is it a loose stool problem? If so, I'd suggest giving The Honest Kitchen Perfect Form a try. It's not a food but a powdered supplement that you can mix with water and add into wet food. It's about 16% fiber and tells you how much to give based on the weight of your kitty.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

fartymonk

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
No, his problem is his stool got stuck in his rectum, causing his butt to swell. He poop everyday, just it seems it hurts him / it's difficult to push the poop out like normal cats. (Since the vet felt it's ok just by giving him enema, it might not be megacolon or growth issue and more of digestive issue).

I've tried giving him Hills i/d before, but he got diarrhea and giving him canned wetfood (whiskas / friskies) makes the stools really hard and causing his butt to swell even more (sometimes i could see blood in the poop).

We went to the vet twice, first for diarrhea and while on the meds (also got dewormed), he developed this condition and the second ended up with the prescription above.