Recently Spayed Cats

python-spurs

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Ive got two sisters that got spayed yesterday, both are doing fine but we've quaranteened them their own small rooms in our apartment to make sure they running and jumping around or rough housing while they heal.

Yesterday they were both pretty groggy coming off the anesthetic but I woke up this morning to check in them and they're both pretty insistent on wanting to come out. Either meowing or pawing at the door.

Is it ok to let them both back out as usual? The two typically like to play super rough, tackling each other, climbing around their trees and doing stuff they shouldn't be doing right after the day after their surgery. We also have a third cat, whose super sweet and they get along with, but also play kind of rough with.

Should we just keep them in their own separate rooms? And then for how long? Or would it be ok to let them back out into the rest of the apartment?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! You might want to keep them contained for a couple more days. Those stitches need time to heal some more.
Besides, this gives your sweet kitty a break. How is your third baby doing?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

python-spurs

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi! You might want to keep them contained for a couple more days. Those stitches need time to heal some more.
Besides, this gives your sweet kitty a break. How is your third baby doing?
The third one is fine! She seems to be enjoying the free time and taking it as an opportunity to be the center of attention :' )

How many days do you think we should keep the kittens put up? They received some pain shot that the vets said would last around three days. Can we let them out once that has wore off?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'd say yes, unless you see that the incisions don't look right (redness, swelling, drainage).
Try and ensure your sweetie kitty continues to get as much luvins as possible, and if you aren't already, give her breaks away from them so she can catch her breath :)

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I agree with all of the above, but please make sure you spend some time - multiple times a day - with each of them while they are confined. They will be less stressed about being confined - and just like humans they will heal faster and better with less stress.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

python-spurs

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi. I agree with all of the above, but please make sure you spend some time - multiple times a day - with each of them while they are confined. They will be less stressed about being confined - and just like humans they will heal faster and better with less stress.
Absolutely! I've been checking on them about once every other hour to make sure they're incisions are still good and to give them a little love.

Christina50

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat was spayed yesterday and she is still groggy. I contained her in her room and layed her tower down. She wants to be out with us but she also had exploratory surgery and 2 mummified kittens were removed. So she is still very slow moving. Everytime i go in to visit shes sleeping in her bed. Should i just leave her alone?

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, just leave her alone. It may be a few days before she feels like doing anything. The process is generally very easy for young cats, but for older females, and those with complications (like mummified kittens, yikes!), it can be a lot harder on them.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Should i just leave her alone?
Not to hijack the thread, but did your vet say anything about what to look for regarding how long before she's up and about, troubles, that sort of thing? If not, can you talk with your vet? Is she eating and using the litter box yet?