Recently Spayed Cat Eating, But Not Drinking Water Almost 2 Days After Surgery

EricT

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello, I am new to this forum, and I had a question I hope can be answered so I can be sure I am not overreacting. My 5 year old cat, Ripley, was spayed two days ago, she came home and displayed the grogginess and quietness I was told to expect for a day or so following surgery. She has come out of that and has begun to roam and interact in her usual way, and she has been eating her normal wet cat food(in smaller servings, as instructed), so I think she is on her way to being okay, aside from the fact that we haven't observed her drinking any water at all. She has peed a time or two since then, but we haven't noticed the level in her water dish changing after we give her fresh water, even overnight. I am at the point of concern, obviously, and am considering giving the vet a call or maybe going back depending on how today goes, does anyone have any experience with this happening with their fur-baby? I wasn't too worried after the first day, but after another whole day with no visible water drinking, is this an emergency situation? Thank you in advance for any advice anyone can offer, I have never had a cat go this long without drinking water and Ripley used to drink plenty before her surgery.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
The good news is that most cats who get wet food are able to get most of their requirements for water IN that food, at least in the short term. HOWEVER, it is worrisome that she is refusing to drink. She should be getting more than she is during the healing phase. Do you have a syringe that you could use to give her additional water? She'll hate it, but it really is necessary. I'd call the vet before taking her in, just to possibly avoid additional stress post-op. Let us know how she does, please!

You are very welcome at TCS, both you AND Ripley! You now have a community of caring folks! There is a "New Cats on the Block" section where you can properly introduce the two of you, and pictures of your girl would be wonderful!

Geoffrey

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My female cat, Sukie, is now 2 years and 5 months. We brought her up from a kitten and she has only been seen to drink once. When she was still a kitten I spoke to my vet and asked him the same question that you are asking and was told that cats can obtain all their water needs from their food. Sukie is now very heavy, (she increases weight every hour when she sleeps with you ;)) and is still not drinking. I am not worrying about her any more.
With all best wishes,
Geoffrey

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I have observed that many cats drink water out of boredom, just as many cats eat out of boredom.

If your cat appears fine otherwise I would wait and see if her previous habits return, especially if she puts 1-2 pees in the litter box per day.

daisyd

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Have you a follow up appointment scheduled ? We had one 4 days after the spay as part of the price so the vet could check the wound and check all is okay ? She may just feel a bit off at the moment as is a major operation for kitty

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They give them fluids during surgery, so she might still be using those. But in general, a cat who eats only wet food doesn't need any extra moisture. Although if she was on wet food before and still drank water, so this is unusual for her. . .yeah, calling the vet wouldn't hurt.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

EricT

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for all the replies, I did contact the vet again, who said to give it one more day, if she wasn't drinking by today, to bring her back in. Apparently Ripley had a good day today, she finally drank a BUNCH of water, then started to act more normal, according to my fiance, I am looking forward to getting home from work and taking a look myself. This is an awesome forum with some great people and fellow cat-lovers, I very much appreciate the feedback, and look forward to interacting with such a caring group of people. Thank you again, Ripley says thank you as well!!
PHONE 023.jpg

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Ripley is GORGEOUS, and I'm so glad that she is doing well now! Don't be a stranger to us, we love meeting new friends!