Recently lost my heart to a stray and brought him inside - now what?!

Raine190

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
A couple months ago, we noticed a stray living under our home. He would come up on the deck and just sit there looking lonely. We started to feed him outside and he was okay being near us but wouldn't allow physical contact. I named him Elian (a mash-up of Ellen and Elliot when I didn't know if he was boy or girl!) 6 days ago, we got him in a humane cage and took him to the vet for neuter, rabies, fleas, worming, nail trim, leukemia test, etc. He doesn't seem fully feral and wasn't hanging with the feral colony in our neighborhood. He will do the slow blink with me readily and meows at me. He's extremely timid and I've never seen him act aggressive at all. These things make me think he might have once been an indoor cat but had some type of traumatic experience that resulted in him being left alone.

I couldn't leave him outside and still call myself a decent person, so he's now in our spare room and we set it up to be cat-friendly. Tables to climb on, boxes to hide in, toys, food, water, litterbox, and a low chair for the human (no other furniture). My husband and I 'visit' him several times a day, always taking food/treats. We stay for a while, talking or singing to him. I've put a couple pieces of my clothing near the towels he likes to lay on. We've tried to interest him in play with a fishing-pole toy and a remote-controlled mouse. He watches the feather on the fishing-pole fly around and land, but he doesn't interact. Other than looking at me and slow-blinking with me, he doesn't interact at all. We have another male cat, Lanny, who is 8 years old. I think they've been interacting a little through the crack under the door, but they haven't 'officially' met.

I've read a lot about strays and ferals online, but there are sooooo many opinions out there about what is best for these cats. I'd appreciate any advice from the people who have actually worked with this type of cat. I have the love and patience that I know will be needed to gain Elian's trust, but I don't have enough knowledge. Please help!!! :)

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. You sound wonderful - and, tbh, so does Elian! He isn't feral, but like you said may have been left or abandoned. How old did the vet think he is (just curious)? I have only worked with one stray - outside my own current cat, Feeby (who found me at 2+ yo) - but they can easily overcome obstacles when given patience, care, and time. A lot of cats who have been 'left' or otherwise not taken care of - especially depending on his age - aren't particularly interested in toys. That could change over time! Though, Feeby (16+yo) sucks at toy playing, and always has! A shoe string has always been her favorite toy.

Have you seen these TCS articles to try to make a plan for getting Elian adjusted to his new home and then on to introductions with Lanny?
How To Help A New Cat Adjust To Your Home – TheCatSite Articles
How To Successfully Introduce Cats: The Ultimate Guide – TheCatSite Articles

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Raine190

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for the tips and links. I did just read those articles - some good information. I’m new to this site but I’m already learning a lot here!

Elian is probably between 6 months and a year. So already hit puberty and I have seen him spray when he was outside, usually as he’s walking away after I fed him. But he hasn’t sprayed or appeared to be marking territory since he’s been inside. Maybe that’s just due to getting neutered.

When Feeby plays with a shoe string, do you hold it and make it jump around, or just let her have it? I’m thinking maybe I could interest Elian in a shoe string that has my (or my husband’s) scent on it.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Neutering probably stopped the spraying - thank goodness! It usually does as long a neutering is done on younger cats before they make it a habit.

My husband is the shoe string artist! He usually drags it in front of Feeby so it catches her interest. Depending on how she reacts, she might chew on it or try to hold on to it, and then he plays tug of war, and ultimately pulls it away from her to start all over again. Bouncing it or jumping it around might work for Elian too. At Feeby's age, she is a bit lazy to go after the jumping shoe string (LOL).

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Are you using Da Bird? https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000F9JJJE/?tag=thecatsite I have found this toy to be very different from other feathers on fishing line types.

He is in a very new surrounding, probably completely grateful to have a home, and adjusting. He has only been in your house for 6 days which is really no time at all. He is not showing fear but is slow blinking, all good signs. You may see a big difference in a few days. If he is on the shy side, that is his personality and that is not bad either. I have been in this situation lots of times as I have only ever owned reformed ferals or strays from the streets and they do come around.

Raine190

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
fionasmon, I’ll be ordering a Da Bird. Thanks for the tip!

We had a great‘breakthrough’ last night - Elian played with his fishing pole toy for the first time!!!! Woohooo! I think he’s going to be a kicker, cause he would roll over on his back when he caught the feather and pull in his back legs to kick at it. I guess I’ll get him a crinkly kicker toy too.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hello and welcome to TCS. Thank you for bringing Elian inside and giving him a home. He's a very handsome cat, and looks very healthy. The fact that he's not hiding in that box, or somewhere else is a very good sign. I suspect he'll settle into his new home and family very quickly.

Even though they haven't actually met yet, Elian and Lanny interacting under the door seems like a good sign of their potentially becoming best buds.

Please keep us posted on Elian's progress.

Raine190

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
What an amazing couple of weeks it’s been! Our Elian has started accepting us more and more each day. He now will eat right next to where I sit on the floor and enjoys petting with a back scratcher while he eats. He still keeps his distance most of the time, but we’re seeing small steps toward him being comfortable with us. Might not be too long until he accepts petting with an actual hand. 😽 He also gets quite involved with his feather toy most days and chases it until he gets tired!

Elian and Lanny spend lots of time watching each other through the screen door we added to the doorway. I was concerned that Lanny wouldn’t accept Elian, but it seems to be working out. Elian is always the first to blink and look away, then roll onto his belly, so maybe they’ve worked out that Lanny will still be king of the house. 😁😽

This is such an amazing experience. I want to thank everyone who puts this site together for all the great information, and all who replied with tips and nuggets of wisdom. I’ve learned that with lots of love, patience, and respect for Elian, our whole family benefits from him joining us. We still have a way to go, but I know we’ll get there. 😁

Attachments

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I am so glad that this is working out and I bet he will eventually complete the rest of his integration into your household.