Recently Diagnosed Fiv Positive Cat.

Jinji

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My beautiful tabby JinJin got out in early DECEMBER by accident and she never came back. I really thought I would never see her again. In January , exactly one month later I get a phone call saying she was found!!!! I took her to the vet that same day and asked for a wellness check, was sent home as she looked good. Two days later I noticed wetness around her mouth (drool) but it wasn't dripping just sitting around her mouth. Took her back in and vet said she had Calicivirus due to ulcers in her mouth which is why she was wanting wet food with gravy only. Guess her mouth hurt too much. But she seemed to sleep a lot and I didn't notice anything other than her mouth issues. I wasn't sure deep down if calicivirus was the only thing going on. For a piece of mind, I decided to go back to the vet and this time I asked for a blood test CBC and felv/FIV snap. The CBC came back very nice but unfortunately my cat showed positive for FIV.

There's not really a particular question , I have done so much reading and researching during these days it's stressful. I would just really like to know your experiences with your FIV positive cat if you have one or had experience with one. What was their pattern like as far as issues with their health? or just anything you would like to share with me.

As of now she is on clavamox, she stills eats but I noticed not as much now and her ulcers I can tell still bother her. She does sleep a lot, but gets up I think because she wants to, but I know she's tired. Bathroom is normal. She doesn't groom her self like she use to, so I have to comb her which I know isn't really doing much. I'm sure we will make another vet trip , maybe tomorrow if her eating doesn't get better. We are on day 10 of symptoms (ulcers, sleeping a lot, very little sneezing throughout the day, not grooming) but on day 6 of clavamox and now not eating /drinking as much, sleeping more , not grooming, sneezing little as before.

weebeasties

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm glad you have your baby back, but sorry she is so ill. :grouphug:
We have a fiv+ kitty as well. He tested positive 8 years ago and except for a UTI and some ongoing ear issues, his health has remained good.
Sorry that I don't have any advice. Just wanted you to know I am sending positive vibes your way.:vibes:
I hope that your little girl is feeling better soon.

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would just really like to know your experiences with your FIV positive cat if you have one or had experience with one. What was their pattern like as far as issues with their health? or just anything you would like to share with me.
I have lived with a FIV+ cat for years without knowing it.
She was tested when she was around 7 months old and the test came back negative.
At the age of 16 she was going to get an important surgery and the vets ran a complete blood check and the FIV test came back positive and this was a real surprise. She was an almost indoor only cat, she was allowed out only under strict supervision or on leash.
I was totally astonished at this news, so I started thinking what could have happened, and I remembered an episode of 15 years before, when she was just 1 yo and she came back home with a bite injury on her hind leg. This was before I decided she wasn't allowed outside uncontrolled, this episode triggered my decision.
Well, the vet said it was a dog bite and so we thought for years. My cat had fever for a few days, she was put on antibiotics, end of story.
When 15 years later she was tested as positive, I had to rethink that it hadn't been a dog bite, but a FIV cat bite.

My poor kitty lived with FIV for years without I knew that and without symptoms at all.
But all of a sudden everything was seen under a new perspective and we found an explanation to her two cancers, one when she was 11, the other one when she was just 16.
But we fought them and won.
A few months later a third cancer took her away from me.

Well, what I was told is that FIV can give cancers, because the weakened immune system isn't able to fight the anomalous cells anymore.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Jinji

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We have a fiv+ kitty as well. He tested positive 8 years ago and except for a UTI and some ongoing ear issues, his health has remained good.
Sorry that I don't have any advice. Just wanted you to know I am sending positive vibes your way.:vibes:
Hanks

Jinji

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for that ! And thanks for sharing your story

Jinji

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Also, so sorry for your loss!