Recently Adopted Semi-Ferals Struggling to Adjust

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I live next door to my sister and she has a pet cat as well. Brownie and Cookies cousin, lol. I think we will leave the door open to see if they have any interest in peeking out into the rest of the apartment. Worst case, they hide and we cant find them but they'll eventually return to their safe room (the bedroom). Should I start to place their bowls right outside the door into the hallway?

So I'll keep feeding the same, hopefully Cookie will slow down a bit. Tonight I will start hanging out in the bedroom while they are fed to see if they will come out and eat in the open with us in the room. They come out to eat as soon as I close the door when I leave. So they are used to their routine I think and anticipate dinner time. They really don't like to be seen by us and I hope by desensitizing them by being in the room while they eat will ease them into it. If you guys have any other advice for getting them more comfortable being out in the open that'd be great. I'm trying to find some cave like beds for them to try it out and see if they like the comfort of them and hopefully get them out from under the bed and dresser. I'm not sure what else I can get them as they dont show any particular interests in anything quite yet. I dont think they've ever had a bed before so this will be new to them as well. They only had a cat tree and some boxes at their home. Some blankets in high places. I guess only time will tell how they adjust and what they learn to like.
I could finally look at the pictures now. Busy day here. :/

OH MY GOODNESS!!! Are they GORGEOUS OR WHAT!?!?!?!?!?

I can see how you fell in love with them from the beginning!!!

"I live next door to my sister and she has a pet cat as well." - Ok, watch to see how they do around any common walls. If there is any unease feed treats around there and put things with their scent on around there so they can feel like they "own" that territory.

"I think we will leave the door open to see if they have any interest in peeking out into the rest of the apartment. Worst case, they hide and we cant find them but they'll eventually return to their safe room (the bedroom)." - I think that is a good idea. I think they will be fine. It is safe. They may smell another animal but they will figure out they are safe.

"Should I start to place their bowls right outside the door into the hallway?" - For now I would feed them in the same spot they are always fed. You can use treats though in the "new" territory. Also, you can get an old shirt and get them to put their scent on it then put that outside of the door.

"So I'll keep feeding the same" - Yes, agreed.

"hopefully Cookie will slow down a bit." - Yes and a slow feeder could also help.

"Tonight I will start hanging out in the bedroom while they are fed to see if they will come out and eat in the open with us in the room. They come out to eat as soon as I close the door when I leave. So they are used to their routine I think and anticipate dinner time." - Good idea. Just sit on the floor, don't look at them. If they just will not then leave and try again another day. They are going to be fine. Just when not if.

"They really don't like to be seen by us and I hope by desensitizing them by being in the room while they eat will ease them into it." - That is normal. Just be yourself, don;t stare at them, etc. Talk lovingly to them. They will be fine.

"If you guys have any other advice for getting them more comfortable being out in the open that'd be great." - Just be yourself. Talk lovingly to them, give good food, be calm and confident. Act normal.They will adjust and be fine in time.

"I'm trying to find some cave like beds for them to try it out and see if they like the comfort of them and hopefully get them out from under the bed and dresser." - Perfect. That could help. They will come out, don;t worry. They are already and in time they will with the family.

"I guess only time will tell how they adjust and what they learn to like." - They are doing great. They seem happy. They look gorgeous and happy. We'll get there, I am not at all worried. They are going to be just fine. You can see it in their eyes.

GREAT JOB!!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cookieandbrownie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
they played with string tonight!!! we had a 15 minute play session with them BOTH! then we fed them while we stayed in the room on the floor. they ate their entire meal! even when they noticed us it didn’t bother them.

We left the door slightly ajar while we went to watch a movie- both kitties left to explore! it looks like they went to the bathroom and cautiously explored the small hallway and ran back in.

They grew so much tonight!

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
they played with string tonight!!! we had a 15 minute play session with them BOTH! then we fed them while we stayed in the room on the floor. they ate their entire meal! even when they noticed us it didn’t bother them.

We left the door slightly ajar while we went to watch a movie- both kitties left to explore! it looks like they went to the bathroom and cautiously explored the small hallway and ran back in.

They grew so much tonight!
:yess: :hyper: :clap2: :itslove::purr:

Well, THAT was fast!!!!

FANTASTIC JOB!!!!

I actually got tears of joy in my eyes. This is SO WONDERFUL!!!! Your love and all you are doing for them is wonderful!!!

Keep up the great work!!!

cookieandbrownie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
:yess: :hyper: :clap2: :itslove::purr:

Well, THAT was fast!!!!

FANTASTIC JOB!!!!

I actually got tears of joy in my eyes. This is SO WONDERFUL!!!! Your love and all you are doing for them is wonderful!!!

Keep up the great work!!!
they played all night! Cookie was chasing bouncy balls all around the room for a few hours, Brownie rolled around (!!!) in a pile of toys on the rug. They chased each other and worked together to find all the treats we scattered around the room. Watching Brownie relax for some time on the carpet and not worrying about us makes me so happy! They must be a little spooked today bc they didn't want to eat breakfast.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
they played all night! Cookie was chasing bouncy balls all around the room for a few hours, Brownie rolled around (!!!) in a pile of toys on the rug. They chased each other and worked together to find all the treats we scattered around the room. Watching Brownie relax for some time on the carpet and not worrying about us makes me so happy! They must be a little spooked today bc they didn't want to eat breakfast.
Wow, that is amazing. Pretty awesome!!!

I can imagine how excited you are. I know the feeling you are feeling. Hard to describe but a wonderful feeling.

And the great thing is they will pick up on those positive emotions and that will help them feel more comfortable and confident.

They probably had too many treats and that spoiled their breakfast and/or were too tired from all the running around. I wouldn't read too much into it.

Sounds like a wonderful breakthrough. There may be some ups and downs but they are going to be fine. They have found a GREAT LOVING home and they know it now!!!

Let us know how they eat today and how they act. I think they should get back to fine soon.

GREAT job!!!

cookieandbrownie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Wow, that is amazing. Pretty awesome!!!

I can imagine how excited you are. I know the feeling you are feeling. Hard to describe but a wonderful feeling.

And the great thing is they will pick up on those positive emotions and that will help them feel more comfortable and confident.

They probably had too many treats and that spoiled their breakfast and/or were too tired from all the running around. I wouldn't read too much into it.

Sounds like a wonderful breakthrough. There may be some ups and downs but they are going to be fine. They have found a GREAT LOVING home and they know it now!!!

Let us know how they eat today and how they act. I think they should get back to fine soon.

GREAT job!!!
Yea, I realize now they had most of their food yesterday after 8pm and they had a few treats later in the night. So they probably really were not too hungry. They have been snoozing most of today so I hope they are ready for some play time later today!

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yea, I realize now they had most of their food yesterday after 8pm and they had a few treats later in the night. So they probably really were not too hungry. They have been snoozing most of today so I hope they are ready for some play time later today!
Ahhhhh, that is probably what it is.

Cats tend to sleep a lot during the day and the fact they played so much last night it is not surprising they are less active. I have a feeling they may be active tonight.................

I love your enthusiasm!!!

Let us know.

Talien

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Food time has become super interesting, Cookie is a monster that will eat everything and not share with Brownie. I put their daily dry food meal out every morning, and Brownie will go up to eat it. Moments later Cookie will bust through and force Brownie out of the bowl and she will finish it. Sometimes she won't even let Brownie get any at all. They also eat canned food at night which they have absolutely taken to and they love. I put two plates out, and they started with eating separate plates like intended. Brownie is a slow eater she likes to take her time, take a break and come back for the rest. Cookie will eat her plate and immediately go devour
Brownies plate too. Sometimes she'll eat pretty much their whole day's food (for BOTH of them) and Brownie will get none. It's gotten better and we can distract Cookie sometimes to prevent her eating it all. Now they have started to eat from the same bowl even if there are two plates out. Im still playing around with how to split their food.
It's going to be important to feed them in different rooms so Cookie can't eat all the food and get fat, getting a Cat to lose weight is very hard, especially if it's a lot of fat. I have a Cat who is like Brownie and eats slow, and sometimes doesn't finish it all. I have to put her in a bathroom and close the door so she can eat without my other Cats running up and stealing her food after they finish theirs, then I put her back in with the rest of her food after a few hours. It works out well, but I did have to end up putting a litterbox in that bathroom because she would occasionally pee in the tub or on the floor.

Since they both like canned food I'd suggest cutting out the dry entirely (it's really not good for them at all) and feed them canned morning and evening, if it can be split into 3 meals even better.

cookieandbrownie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It's going to be important to feed them in different rooms so Cookie can't eat all the food and get fat, getting a Cat to lose weight is very hard, especially if it's a lot of fat. I have a Cat who is like Brownie and eats slow, and sometimes doesn't finish it all. I have to put her in a bathroom and close the door so she can eat without my other Cats running up and stealing her food after they finish theirs, then I put her back in with the rest of her food after a few hours. It works out well, but I did have to end up putting a litterbox in that bathroom because she would occasionally pee in the tub or on the floor.

Since they both like canned food I'd suggest cutting out the dry entirely (it's really not good for them at all) and feed them canned morning and evening, if it can be split into 3 meals even better.
Well since they recently came to us and strictly had dry food I didn't want to change too much. They are doing well with wet food, but since they are still very shy and don't always finish or want to come out to it canned. Im keeping dry food so they have something they're used to and don't feel any food insecurity. I do want to transition to wet food only but I think its best to keep it as is until they are comfortable in our home and slowly take away their dry food.

Talien

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well since they recently came to us and strictly had dry food I didn't want to change too much. They are doing well with wet food, but since they are still very shy and don't always finish or want to come out to it canned. Im keeping dry food so they have something they're used to and don't feel any food insecurity. I do want to transition to wet food only but I think its best to keep it as is until they are comfortable in our home and slowly take away their dry food.
Oh, definitely don't do it "cold turkey", I wasn't trying to suggest that. Changing food suddenly for Cats often causes digestive issues, not the least of which can include vomiting and/or diarrhea, and nobody wants to see that happen.

cookieandbrownie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yesterday was a big day! First, we moved the bed about two feet from the wall. This was to prevent them from having a hiding place that was out of our reach. Brownie has chosen the dresser as her new favorite hang out position which is wonderful. She is at most a foot away from us and we can easily reach under to give treats, get her used to our hands and lead her out with treats because of how small the distance is between under dresser and the outside world. With the bed being away from the wall we wanted to give Cookie something similar, instead of let her be three feet from us and completely inaccessible we can now have more room to play with her and have a shorter distance to lead her out of. Trying to push her out of her comfort zone just a little bit, while keeping all the areas of safety still there. We didn't remove any hiding spaces - we just made them a bit more available to us.

Last night we found them cuddling under the dresser. We laid down on the floor together and stayed pretty quiet for about ten minutes or so, then we started to bring out the treats. We bought new freeze dried Salmon treats and oh boy are they a hit with Brownie especially. We got Brownie to not just come out from under the dresser, she sat and stared at us for about ten seconds before backing up. Shortly after that, she completely surprised us. I jingled a toy (which I have since learned is a favorite of hers) and she just...... got out from under the dresser. She sat down and looked at us for a few minutes. She was too worried to play with the toys once presented with them but this is something she has never done before. She was comfortable enough to just sit there with us nearby. She then went back under and we got dinner ready. They both came to eat dinner with us in the room, but it took some coaxing. Cookie is super confident at night but once we're around Brownie becomes the leader. Brownie ate her meal even with us looking at her, and Cookie eventually came out and ate dinner by herself a few minutes after. If we stay floor level Cookie feels significantly calmer. If we are on the bed she is extremely nervous.

Today! We got Brownie to come even farther out and she let her entire body come out from under the dresser for a Salmon treat. Cookie also finally allowed herself to step out from under the dresser to get the treat except it was only about half her body which is still incredible. They both walked around the room and sniffed the new cat bed we bought them after dinner and while we were still on the floor. I dont even recognize these cats anymore!

Last picture is an obligatory adorable picture of Brownie resting on Cookie's front paws
. IMG_EBE8BC119AEE-1.jpeg IMG_3641.jpg IMG_6762.jpg

Last edited:

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yesterday was a big day! First, we moved the bed about two feet from the wall. This was to prevent them from having a hiding place that was out of our reach. Brownie has chosen the dresser as her new favorite hang out position which is wonderful. She is at most a foot away from us and we can easily reach under to give treats, get her used to our hands and lead her out with treats because of how small the distance is between under dresser and the outside world. With the bed being away from the wall we wanted to give Cookie something similar, instead of let her be three feet from us and completely inaccessible we can now have more room to play with her and have a shorter distance to lead her out of. Trying to push her out of her comfort zone just a little bit, while keeping all the areas of safety still there. We didn't remove any hiding spaces - we just made them a bit more available to us.

Last night we found them cuddling under the dresser. We laid down on the floor together and stayed pretty quiet for about ten minutes or so, then we started to bring out the treats. We bought new freeze dried Salmon treats and oh boy are they a hit with Brownie especially. We got Brownie to not just come out from under the dresser, she sat and stared at us for about ten seconds before backing up. Shortly after that, she completely surprised us. I jingled a toy (which I have since learned is a favorite of hers) and she just...... got out from under the dresser. She sat down and looked at us for a few minutes. She was too worried to play with the toys once presented with them but this is something she has never done before. She was comfortable enough to just sit there with us nearby. She then went back under and we got dinner ready. They both came to eat dinner with us in the room, but it took some coaxing. Cookie is super confident at night but once we're around Brownie becomes the leader. Brownie ate her meal even with us looking at her, and Cookie eventually came out and ate dinner by herself a few minutes after. If we stay floor level Cookie feels significantly calmer. If we are on the bed she is extremely nervous.

Today! We got Brownie to come even farther out and she let her entire body come out from under the dresser for a Salmon treat. Cookie also finally allowed herself to step out from under the dresser to get the treat except it was only about half her body which is still incredible. They both walked around the room and sniffed the new cat bed we bought them after dinner and while we were still on the floor. I dont even recognize these cats anymore!

Last picture is an obligatory adorable picture of Brownie resting on Cookie's front paws
.View attachment 339669View attachment 339670View attachment 339671
WOW!!! AWESOME!!!

Using "stinky" treats or food is always something I use. Salmon is really good for that (as you have found out!!)

Good job on readjusting things in the room.

"Last night we found them cuddling under the dresser. We laid down on the floor together and stayed pretty quiet for about ten minutes or so, then we started to bring out the treats. We bought new freeze dried Salmon treats and oh boy are they a hit with Brownie especially. We got Brownie to not just come out from under the dresser, she sat and stared at us for about ten seconds before backing up. Shortly after that, she completely surprised us. I jingled a toy (which I have since learned is a favorite of hers) and she just...... got out from under the dresser. She sat down and looked at us for a few minutes. She was too worried to play with the toys once presented with them but this is something she has never done before. She was comfortable enough to just sit there with us nearby. She then went back under and we got dinner ready. They both came to eat dinner with us in the room, but it took some coaxing." - FANTASTIC!!! GREAT job!!

"If we stay floor level Cookie feels significantly calmer. If we are on the bed she is extremely nervous." - This is totally normal. Cats like to be above so anytime someone or something is above it can cause some unease. Don't worry. And great job getting down lower to help with that.

"Today! We got Brownie to come even farther out and she let her entire body come out from under the dresser for a Salmon treat." - AWESOME!! Food is the best way to build trust. Great work!!!

"Cookie also finally allowed herself to step out from under the dresser to get the treat except it was only about half her body which is still incredible." - Fantastic. Great progress. Again, it is building trust which is great.

"They both walked around the room and sniffed the new cat bed we bought them after dinner and while we were still on the floor." - Awesome!!

'I dont even recognize these cats anymore!" - Hahahahaha, they are responding to your love. Cats take on our emotions and you are seeing their trust build. They are going to be just fine.

Aren;t they just the most GORGEOUS cats?!?!?!?!?! Not only are they gorgeous but look at their body language. They look really confident, happy, content.

FANTASTIC job!!! They are really making progress and responding to your love for them. It truly is wonderful!!! :itslove:

cookieandbrownie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
yesterday was another huge day, for cookie.
We have this toy plastic tiny hand- it’s supposed to fit on your finger. It’s a silly thing, makes us laugh but it came in handy. We put a stick on the inside of the hand and used it to deliver treats from a bit of a distance and later we found a very beneficial use to it. Cookie was accepting of pets on the head if we used the hand on a stick! She was falling asleep but alert and we introduced her to the hand, she was skeptical but let it touch her. The rest is history, i’ve never seen a cat relax so fast in my life. It was like she was somewhere else in dreamland. We were able to scratch her in all the good places - forehead, ears, chin, cheeks, and eventually the BELLY!!! She would melt right into the scratches and react like any comfortable cat would. Lean right into the scratch, expose her chest and roll her head to the side. The best part was she would do this biiiiiiig stretch and stretch her toes. She exposed a big part of her belly and loved being pet there. I’m talking 3, 30 minute scratching sessions with the plastic hand.

She was so fast asleep I eventually moved in..... and got to pet her for about ten whole minutes with my hand. She would open her eyes and look at me and go back to sleep. I was able to really get in the belly, whole body and especially the face. She was so happy and relaxed. After about ten minutes of pure bliss, she kind of woke up. She realized what was happening - a human was very close to her and touching her. She briefly relaxed but then almost immediately got up and sort of panicked like she couldn’t believe she wasn’t dreaming.

Brownie on the other hand was a little mad from all the attention Cookie got. She did go step in the way to prevent me from petting Cookie. She swatted at the hand a few times. Would not stop giving me the stink eye. We tried to find other ways to positively interact with her but she wasn’t having it. She held a bit of a grudge for the rest of the night.

They both ate with us present that evening and they are also ever so slightly less reactive if we move at night or walk past the door. They will jump off, but they will generally stay and look at what’s happening before ultimately deciding to hide. Brownie even stood up, put her paw on my foot and sniffed me at night. They were incredibly playful last night and they even enjoy being able to take a look around the apartment when we sleep. We leave the door a little bit open and they usually step out together for a while. We left their original box they came with in the hallway and they like to sit in it.

This morning also went pretty well, we watched both cats slink to their breakfast from the bed. I spent about 45 minutes with them trying to play. They are interested in playing, you can see them follow the toy and make small movements but ultimately they don’t really engage. I’ve tried every toy on a string multiple times and I can’t get more than just some paw action out of them. Is there anything I can do to encourage them or should I just continue trying and wait until they gain enough confidence?

These are some pics from Friday :) F349AD86-4471-4969-9501-D932D372A7AD.jpeg 710A9806-984F-42A2-A362-9FD678F4A9DB.jpeg 641A4D4F-0423-423A-BBDF-4FEFD41B7E95.jpeg FBC8A32C-2E4D-46FE-B989-2833E7814B71.jpeg 6BCA253B-7E36-44BF-8282-9328712A6B33.jpeg

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
yesterday was another huge day, for cookie.
We have this toy plastic tiny hand- it’s supposed to fit on your finger. It’s a silly thing, makes us laugh but it came in handy. We put a stick on the inside of the hand and used it to deliver treats from a bit of a distance and later we found a very beneficial use to it. Cookie was accepting of pets on the head if we used the hand on a stick! She was falling asleep but alert and we introduced her to the hand, she was skeptical but let it touch her. The rest is history, i’ve never seen a cat relax so fast in my life. It was like she was somewhere else in dreamland. We were able to scratch her in all the good places - forehead, ears, chin, cheeks, and eventually the BELLY!!! She would melt right into the scratches and react like any comfortable cat would. Lean right into the scratch, expose her chest and roll her head to the side. The best part was she would do this biiiiiiig stretch and stretch her toes. She exposed a big part of her belly and loved being pet there. I’m talking 3, 30 minute scratching sessions with the plastic hand.

She was so fast asleep I eventually moved in..... and got to pet her for about ten whole minutes with my hand. She would open her eyes and look at me and go back to sleep. I was able to really get in the belly, whole body and especially the face. She was so happy and relaxed. After about ten minutes of pure bliss, she kind of woke up. She realized what was happening - a human was very close to her and touching her. She briefly relaxed but then almost immediately got up and sort of panicked like she couldn’t believe she wasn’t dreaming.

Brownie on the other hand was a little mad from all the attention Cookie got. She did go step in the way to prevent me from petting Cookie. She swatted at the hand a few times. Would not stop giving me the stink eye. We tried to find other ways to positively interact with her but she wasn’t having it. She held a bit of a grudge for the rest of the night.

They both ate with us present that evening and they are also ever so slightly less reactive if we move at night or walk past the door. They will jump off, but they will generally stay and look at what’s happening before ultimately deciding to hide. Brownie even stood up, put her paw on my foot and sniffed me at night. They were incredibly playful last night and they even enjoy being able to take a look around the apartment when we sleep. We leave the door a little bit open and they usually step out together for a while. We left their original box they came with in the hallway and they like to sit in it.

This morning also went pretty well, we watched both cats slink to their breakfast from the bed. I spent about 45 minutes with them trying to play. They are interested in playing, you can see them follow the toy and make small movements but ultimately they don’t really engage. I’ve tried every toy on a string multiple times and I can’t get more than just some paw action out of them. Is there anything I can do to encourage them or should I just continue trying and wait until they gain enough confidence?

These are some pics from Friday :)View attachment 339909View attachment 339910View attachment 339911View attachment 339912View attachment 339913
"We put a stick on the inside of the hand and used it to deliver treats from a bit of a distance and later we found a very beneficial use to it. Cookie was accepting of pets on the head if we used the hand on a stick! She was falling asleep but alert and we introduced her to the hand, she was skeptical but let it touch her. The rest is history, i’ve never seen a cat relax so fast in my life. It was like she was somewhere else in dreamland. We were able to scratch her in all the good places - forehead, ears, chin, cheeks, and eventually the BELLY!!! She would melt right into the scratches and react like any comfortable cat would. Lean right into the scratch, expose her chest and roll her head to the side. The best part was she would do this biiiiiiig stretch and stretch her toes. She exposed a big part of her belly and loved being pet there. I’m talking 3, 30 minute scratching sessions with the plastic hand." - WOW!!! There is so much positive here!!! AWESOME!!! :yess: :hyper: :clap2: :purr:

Exposing her belly is probably the biggest sign of trust since that is where they are most vulnerable. Wow!!

"She was so fast asleep I eventually moved in..... and got to pet her for about ten whole minutes with my hand. She would open her eyes and look at me and go back to sleep. I was able to really get in the belly, whole body and especially the face. She was so happy and relaxed." - I read a paragraph at a time. WHOA. I did not expect this!! Awesome. I love that she looked at you though "ahhh, that's cool" and went back to sleep. I think it really goes to show how human emotions affect a cat. 10 minutes. AMAZING!!!

You are brave to go for the belly. ;)

"After about ten minutes of pure bliss, she kind of woke up. She realized what was happening - a human was very close to her and touching her. She briefly relaxed but then almost immediately got up and sort of panicked like she couldn’t believe she wasn’t dreaming." - Totally normal. She knew what was happening before, it was just the length of time. It is fine. A LOT of progress!! GREAT job!!

"Brownie on the other hand was a little mad from all the attention Cookie got. She did go step in the way to prevent me from petting Cookie." - Interesting. Wish I could have seen that.

"She swatted at the hand a few times." - Depends on how.

"Would not stop giving me the stink eye." - Hahahaha, please don;t read too much into the "look".

"We tried to find other ways to positively interact with her but she wasn’t having it. She held a bit of a grudge for the rest of the night." - Hmmmmmmmm. She will be fine. Wish I could have seen everything. :/ I am not at all worried about it.

"They both ate with us present that evening and they are also ever so slightly less reactive if we move at night or walk past the door. They will jump off, but they will generally stay and look at what’s happening before ultimately deciding to hide." - GREAT!!

"Brownie even stood up, put her paw on my foot and sniffed me at night." - Awwwwww, part of the process. Great.

"They were incredibly playful last night and they even enjoy being able to take a look around the apartment when we sleep. We leave the door a little bit open and they usually step out together for a while. We left their original box they came with in the hallway and they like to sit in it." - Happy cats. Comfortable. More confident. GREAT!!! Great job on how you are doing everything.

"This morning also went pretty well, we watched both cats slink to their breakfast from the bed." - Sounds good to me.

"I spent about 45 minutes with them trying to play. They are interested in playing, you can see them follow the toy and make small movements but ultimately they don’t really engage. I’ve tried every toy on a string multiple times and I can’t get more than just some paw action out of them. Is there anything I can do to encourage them or should I just continue trying and wait until they gain enough confidence?" - That is normal and fine. They just need time, to come out of their shell a bit more. AND they might have been a bit tired. We always want to play with them before eating as well. Hunt, Capture, Kill, Eat, Groom, Sleep.

SO it is really more about the movement of the toy then the actual toy (in my eyes). So make the toy act like prey. Halting movements. Hiding. Think like a bird, or a mouse, or a rabbit.

Also, play before meal time.

Just try that. I am not sure it is all about confidence really. It might be timing, etc. They will come around based on what I have been reading. They are doing great so far so I am not worried. They will get into playing most likely.

They are SO ADORABLE!!! I see happy cats. I am not seeing negative body language, etc. They look great and happy. I especially love the eating together and the window pic!!

My goodness they are gorgeous!!! I can see how you feel in love with them so fast!!

Keep up the great work. At some point in the next few weeks I think you'll see them starting to rub on you. There will be some ups and downs in affection but they are going to be just fine. You are doing a fantastic job!!