Recently Adopted Cat And Diarrhea, Sadface.

FRANKLINPETER

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm not even sure what I am looking for here, I feel like I might just need to vent my frustrations. First-time cat owner.

I adopted a roughly 8 year old kitty from the shelter a short time ago, he was at the shelter for almost 3 months. He had soft stool when I adopted him and he was on Metronidazole (I think) when I took him home and got another prescription for it last week, and if anything he has gotten worse and is having consistent diarrhea now. I had a Fecal test done and it came back negative for parasites/worms.

His dose for metronidazole has been double this time because he is a large cat, (hopefully this is why it wasn't working?) his diet has been changed to Hills prescription diet i/d, and I picked up some Fortiflora? from the shelter today to put on his food once a day. Luckily the shelter is covering these prescriptions because it was a preexisting illness.

I really hope that I can help this poor old guy and have him feel better. And a bonus would be not having to worry about him tracking poop through my house from the mess he makes in the litter box.

Anyone experience this, or have any advice on a time frame when I may see a change with the prescription diet or fortiflora if it works?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! Welcome!!

There's no real way to know about time, as every cat is so different, plus, what was the existing illness?

Here is a link to a short thread that has a couple other links you could take a look at for informational purposes.
Chronic Diarrhea - Prednisolone And Metronidazole Not Helping

Also, maybe keep him contained to a room, with puppy pee pads, to help with cleanup until this gets squared away :) There is Nature's Miracle or The Equalizer that can help cleaning also.

By the way, 8 isn't old :cloud9:

Also, here is something for general things;
First-time Cat Owner's Guide

Last edited:

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would try the S. Boullardi probiotic. Considered a diarrhea stopper. And also raw food. My first cat had chronic diarrhea too when I adopted him. So I understand the frustration!

Emizawesome

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I would put the cat on antibitoics. It could be bacterial or something water borne like coccidiosis

coffeecat2420

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat had soft stool when I first took over her care. She has food sensitivities to chicken (and possibly all poultry). Although my cat's first vet started us on the prescription diet road, I did some research and soon switched to an integrative vet. My cat's vet got her on Proviable probiotic for her soft stool, which helped my girl, although I've since learned there are better grade human pre- and probiotics (including some natural options such as raw goat's milk and fermented fish stock).
I transitioned my girl over to an all wet-food diet (of my own accord) before switching to a homemade diet for her. Diet changes take time, and it's important to introduce things slowly. I have been guilty of trying too many new things at once, which makes it impossible to know what is causing a cat's poor reaction (or improvement!).
I hope you are able to find some solutions for your new fur child soon.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
be sure to use 3-4 inches of litter in his box. It will help keep his paws out of the poop.

As Furballsmom Furballsmom said puppy pee pads around the box are helpful. You might buy a large rubber mat of the sort used in showers to keep from slipping and put it under the litter box so it's mostly by it, to give him something to walk the poop off on.

If you do decide at some point to bath him, be sure to put a towel in the sink so he won't slip. Slipping makes them panic. Also, only wash the part you have to, the back legs usually. Do not get any water on his head. Seriously, he will not like that at all. Do not wash any part you don't need to. Life is exciting enough without that. fingers crossed for you.

You are a very good person and a wise one for adopting an adult cat. Fewer surprises, less energy and they are more patient with you. They have seen the bad and know the good when it comes to them.