Recent Study On Tnr

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Here's an interesting recent research article about TNR strategies and successes.

Integrated Return-To-Field and Targeted Trap-Neuter-Vaccinate-Return Programs Result in Reductions of Feline Intake and Euthanasia at Six Municipal Animal Shelters
Integrated Return-To-Field and Targeted Trap-Neuter-Vaccinate-Return Programs Result in Reductions of Feline Intake and Euthanasia at Six Municipal Animal Shelters

And some commentary on the research, which is a little easier read:

Three Years, Six Shelters, 72,970 Cats: The TNVR Impact
https://faunalytics.org/three-years-six-shelters-72970-cats-the-tnvr-impact/

The takeaway: "At the end of the three-year programs, overall cat euthanasia at all shelters decreased by a median rate of 83%, with kitten euthanasia decreasing by a median of 87%. Cat intake dropped by a median of 32% and kitten intake a median of 40%."​

kittychick

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thanks SO MUCH for posting this - - looks VERY interesting and can't wait to delve into it!!!

(and if your takeaway is accurate to what's in the study -- which I'm sure it is - - nice to see all of us who promote TNR and work hard at doing it and promoting it getting even more statistical back-up that it's working!!!)

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thank you for sharing this article. It is quite encouraging.

Too bad the very first comment is from someone who wants data on the number of birds cats kill. I wish they would realize that other things kill birds besides cats. They fly into buildings, get hit by cars, get stuck in airplanes, etc.... And of course other animals like hawks, coyote and fox also hunt birds. I love birds and I love feeding and watching the birds. But I also love my cats. It is their nature to hunt and all part of the circle of life.

Thanks again for an interesting read. I truly hope the TNR efforts will continue around the world.