Recent Rescue With Mange.

Christena

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
2days ago it was raining so hard here in SoCal that the street had a foot of fast running water in gutter and all the way across street, as I was putting my trash out I noticed something struggling in gutter and a small little cat washed down the road past me. I ran over and picked up cat and put her on grass she was not moving and I thought she was dead then she made a weak noise. I took her in and wrapped her in a warm towel as I dried her I could see she was in rough shape. I then realized she COULD NOT open her eyes and the whole front of her from the tip of her nose to the middle of her back was a solid mass of mange yuck she could barely open her mouth I have never seen it this bad and I have worked with ferals for years. No vet has been open I did manage to get one vet to give her a shot of Ivermectin and Revolution for when we complete the bathing routine but mostly we are on our own. I have been treating with daily sulphur baths (hard but to weak to fight and sweet) and a combo of hydrocortisone and benadryl and aloe and Hyaluronic acid drops in food and on skin. She is deathly skinny and needs soft food to witch I am adding 3-4 pumps of fish oil and a scoop of Amino acid powder and cat probiotics twice a day and soft food available at all times. She is also getting Clavamox twice daily (vet said her lungs sounded wet) and benadryl orally for itching. Does anyone else have a mange treatment they find effective? I have never seen a case this bad vet said she is about a year old or so from her teeth actually discussed euthanizing her but for me (NO) I will put in the work. I know it can be contagious (I am a nurse) but I am being careful and have her in an isolation cage I have for my colony. I am crossing my fingers that she was not in the area long enough to spread it to my others.

Mr. Meow

Special needs cat expert.
Super Cat
Purraise
Try a pure oatmeal bath. You can get the giant sized can/bags of oatmeal, mix it in water, and cover her in it. Rinse later. It's helps with skin issues, but I recommend doing this in a bucket or a tub, but not the bathtub. Once the oatmeal dries out, it's a bit hard to get off the tub (I speak from experience).

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
Another cat hero! Bless you for your compassion.
Praying for the kitty's speedy healing and recovery.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
You are so kind to rescue this poor desperate soul. The rain was incredible for So Cal....I found a drowned possum in my back yard. The cat was probably minutes away from death when you found her.

BlackCatOp

Black Cats Rule!
Adult Cat
Purraise
When you say mange, what are you meaning? Does the kitty actually have mites (sarcoptic mange or demodex) Mange/mites in cats is quite rare but can be treated with the newer flea/tick medication such as Bravecto or Revolution Plus. Since kitty just received Revolution, I would opt for Bravecto or wait 3 weeks before dosing Revolution Plus.

Thank you for saving this poor kitty!

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It must be Revolution Plus, not the regular to kill mites. I hope it was. Bless you, for saving that sweet girl, you'll be blessed......