Reccommend Electric Clothes Dryer

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My clothes dryer is not drying. Not sure how old it is but it is not close to new. Doesn't heat up.

Suggestions please, because I want to get a new one SOON, like tomorrow. Or Friday if I have to wait.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have a GE now but it is a little less then two years old so I can't say if it will last. I got it to replace my Whirlpool when it died after 21 years. My late mother-in-law always got Maytag and her appliances always lasted longer then average. I don't know if anything is made to last like it used to. When I bought my new dryer I wasn't expecting it to last 21 years like my Whirlpool did.

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We got a Whirlpool a few months ago after our other one kept breaking and husband got tired of fixing it. We don't need "bells and whistles" with our appliances but this one did have some "auto dry" technology that sensed when clothes were dry and would turn itself off. Well, turns out I don't have to worry about that because it literally takes two full cycles to get clothes dry. And it's not like the clothes come out super wet from our washer.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Mine is an ancient Maytag but has still has features I love. Like sensor dry where it shuts off once they are dry and the buzzer that tells you the load is done. I would do research on drying time since like so many appliances these days they trade cycle time for energy savings,

maeganj

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Sometimes the exhaust end gets plugged with lint/hair (even if you diligently clean the lint screen) there's videos on YT on how to clean it. Or the heating elements have gone bad which is the case if you cleaned and still doesn't heat.
To me all dryers are the same, as long as it's 2-3x the capacity of your washer I wouldn't bother going for anything froo froo high end. The cheaper GEs and Maytags are the way to go because they are easier to work on.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Is having the dryer repaired not an option?

I have a Kenmore washer and dryer, both full sized. I don't recall what model but both are 10 years old so the model may not be available anymore. I've never had a problem with the dryer. It works well.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Dryers don't have a lot of variation, one is generally as good at the next. Most people just get the one that matches their washer. If matching doesn't matter to you, look for the cheapest one that still has the features you want and is a reputable brand.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have a Frigidaire. The matching washer went a few years ago. The dryer is 11. I’ve had a few times where it acted up before when drying something bulky. I think it was just the sensor. It always seems to leave things a little damp no matter how I run it; so I always run it then go add 15 minutes again. Except with towels and sheets. That works fine. I dry clothes on low.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This is not going well.

Went to the appliance store where we have, over time, bought kitchen range, clothes washer, possibly some other appliance too. They have the Maytag dryer I would want. Install and take away old dryer service available. Dryer unavailable untill late September.

Nearby Lowes supposedly has it in stock but installation not available.

Called a repair man. He will come tomorrow. Service call is $90. I have no idea what if any parts for my non-heating Whirlpool dryer will be needed, or what they might cost. Could be heating element, could be thermal fuse, could be thermostat.

This morning I took the wet towels that have been sitting in the clothes washer since yesterday late afternoon and hung them outdoors. If I have to I will continue to do so but 4 weeks is pushing it.

I am definitely unhappy.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I don't suppose a laundromat is an option? Or using the dryer at a friend's / relative's / neighbor's house?

Line drying outside saves electricity but it can take hours for clothes to dry depending on the temperature and weather. Towels tend to get stiff and scratchy when line dried in the sun, at least that what I remember when mom hung laundry outside in the summer.

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There used to be a laundromat in town. It closed. Was closed for a long time. Now it is a dog wash. I think there maybe is a laundromat in the next town over.

When we were without power for 2 weeks after Superstorm Sandy I was doing laundry at various friends, at my veterinarian. What with covid-19 it just feels like this would be an imposition to show up with a basket of soggy laundry several times a week.

Sheets dry quickly and smell wonderful, line dried. Underwear, T-shirts, shirts, no problem. Blue jeans will take longer. Yes, towels can be scratchy but they dry you off even better than from a dryer.

There will be an answer. Just don't know what. My preference would be to order the new clothes dryer and cope with the delay. Himself is the one who called the repair man. We'll see what he says said tomorrow.

mazie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a Kitchen Aid dryer, have had that dryer for 23 years now and counting! My washing machine is a Maytag, I don't think Kitchen Aid makes washers and dryers anymore which in unfortunate in my opinion. When the time comes to replace the Kitchen Aid, I will more than likely replace it with a Maytag.

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I knew that freezers were a covid-19 empty shelf syndrome item, refrigerators too. But clothes dryers?

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
A lot of manufacturing either shut down for a period of time if they were non-essential or retooled to manufacture something that is essential.

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Appliance repair man came, fixed dryer, has left. It was - of course - the heating element, the most expensive item. He said that the thermal fuse and the thermostat are not original, so dryer has had previous repairs. Service call and repair was about 1/3 the cost of new dryer, installation, old dryer disposal.

There's a load of laundry out on the lines. I am not taking it down just to toss in the machine.