Recalled Cat Food

Hannah518

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Anyone have any experience with recalled canned/dry cat food? A few weeks ago, I gave both my cats a can of the Pro Plan weight management and they both had it coming out both ends and had to be taken to the ER for fluids. It was an awful experience. I wish I could have helped them. I'm not sure exactly what it is, but my cats didn't react well. Now it may have been the food or a food intolerance they both have I need to get to the bottom of. I just fed them some rabbit from Instinct, but I know they have had a past record of recalls. I'm just so nervous about that happening again. I can't relax. My picky cat loved it and I'd be so happy if it solved his IBS problems.

Just curious if anyone had a sick cat from a recall or if anyone knows any current recalls.
Thank you!

Azazel

Time spent with cats is never wasted.
Top Cat
Purraise
There have been lots of recalls in the pet feed industry unfortunately. The truth of the matter is that we really don’t know the quality of most pet feed because there are no strict rules in place that require companies to be transparent. So, even though a feed isn’t outright recalled, it doesn’t necessarily mean it’s safe. :dunno:

My favorite pet food company, Rad Cat, had lots of recalls and ended up shutting down. I would still feed that food in a heartbeat if it came back. Meanwhile, there have been incidences of pet illnesses potentially caused by the big kibble companies that have never even been investigated. Unfortunately FDA incited recalls aren’t always black and white.

I usually just look for recalls by googling pet food recalls every so often. Although, I don’t do it anymore since I’m feeding only homemade with the occasional Feline Natural canned.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Usually if there is a cat food recall, someone will post it here in the Nutrition Forum, but it's always a good idea to google it as A Azazel stated, particularly if your cats get sick (although AFTERWARDS if never good). I didn't see any specific issues with the Pro Plan though. Could it have been expired? Did you contact the company to see if they have any more instances reported? I would do that at least.

Hopefully your furkids are doing fine now.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Hannah518

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Usually if there is a cat food recall, someone will post it here in the Nutrition Forum, but it's always a good idea to google it as A Azazel stated, particularly if your cats get sick (although AFTERWARDS if never good). I didn't see any specific issues with the Pro Plan though. Could it have been expired? Did you contact the company to see if they have any more instances reported? I would do that at least.

Hopefully your furkids are doing fine now.
Yeah I need to contact them. There was no recall and my cats have recovered, but it just makes me a little suspicious of everything. haha.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The FDA web site is one good place to find recalls on pet foods and even veterinary medicines:

I remember reading about some newsletter that you can sign up to receive recalls info; I believe it was white shadow white shadow mentioning it, hopefully I’m not wrong :)
It's posted at the bottom of the first post in this thread: