Cat Food Recall Recalled Cat Food Updates

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
With the pet food companies experiencing shortages, I think we should be aware that they may be forced to change some of their ingredients. It usually takes awhile after the formulas are changed before the labels are. This means that for now and until the shortages no longer exist, we should watch our pets reactions to their even more carefully than we have in the past. Remember that your particular cat may be sensitive to certain foods. If you get an allergic reaction when the food didn't bother your pet before, I suggest you call the pet food company, tell them your pet has an allergy and ask if they have changed the formula.
Shortly after I was thinking about this, this arrived in my inbox. She's not calling anyone out, so don't bristle. Just the same thing I was thinking about.

Last edited:

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
With the pet food companies experiencing shortages, I think we should be aware that they may be forced to change some of their ingredients. It usually takes awhile after the formulas are changed before the labels are. This means that for now and until the shortages no longer exist, we should watch our pets reactions to their even more carefully than we have in the past. Remember that your particular cat may be sensitive to certain foods. If you get an allergic reaction when the food didn't bother your pet before, I suggest you call the pet food company, tell them your pet has an allergy and ask if they have changed the formula.
Shortly after I was thinking about this, this arrived in my inbox. She's not calling anyone out, so don't bristle. Just the same thing I was thinking about.

[/URL]
The bottom line is that, no matter how discerning and careful people may be, the average person pretty much has to be able to roll with the punches. Though I have been experiencing more and more hardship as inflation skyrockets and what I earn lessens, I am still buying the best foods I can for my cats and their food costs more than mine. That said, Blue Buffalo is one of our main brands, along with Soulistic; and reading BB's quote, I am aware that things change. I would avoid pork at all costs! but if it's not labeled, how can I? All we can do in this life is the best we can; and beyond that, it's really anyone's guess at this point.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
one must only buy the neccessities, better for self/finances and, perhaps, better for the planet.

Last edited:

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Jif peanut butter is having a HUGE recall, see the foodie thread. (page 24, there are several posts about this.) If you give
your cat Jif peanut butter, please be alert for reaction. If you have any of the affected products do not eat them yourselves.
Yes, I should have cross posted before.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If your cat really likes peanut butter and will take her pills that way, I expect you'd give it to her. But, I'm glad to hear you don't think anyone would, so maybe it's not so bad I didn't get this cross posted.

My cats didn't like peanut butter, but some of them liked French fries, which makes me suspicious of what the fries were fried in. A cat we rescued from a barn after she'd been kicked by a horse, loved the peanut butter and hard boiled eggs we sneaked passed the dorm mother to her waiting for the weekend when one of the girls could take her home to the vet. She turned out to only be bruised by the kick, since she didn't resist the force and rolled with it. (the powers that be would have insisted on turning the cat into what passed for a humane society there. This way she got a home. )

I understand some cats in Fl and Ca like citrus fruit.

Last edited:

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If your cat really likes peanut butter and will take her pills that way, I expect you'd give it to her. But, I'm glad to hear you don't think anyone would, so maybe it's not so bad I didn't get this cross posted.

My cats didn't like peanut butter, but some of them liked French fries, which makes me suspicious of what the fries were fried in. A cat we rescued from a barn after she'd been kicked by a horse, loved the peanut butter and hard boiled eggs we sneaked passed the dorm mother to her waiting for the weekend when one of the girls could take her home to the vet. She turned out to only be bruised by the kick, since she didn't resist the force and rolled with it. (the powers that be would have insisted on turning the cat into what passed for a humane society there. This way she got a home. )

I understand some cats in Fl and Ca like citrus fruit.
Yes, and some cats love corn. My Baby Su likes lemon cookies. I've heard of cats who love cantaloupe, olives...lots of surprises.

Tigger's Mum

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I had a cat who loved any type of curry, the hotter the better and also liked ham and English Mustard (hot) sandwiches, something I really like. She would literally jump up and steal a bite of my sandwich then come back for more. She was a Siamese cat.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
other animals recalled foods - symptoms of salmonella poisoning for pets
post # 75

Salmonella symptoms and treatments for cats

lollie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I gave my cat some peanut butter on a spoon once. She loved it. Unfortunately, she spent the next forty-five minutes trying to clean, presumably the smell or stickiness, from her face and paws. After that, she won’t touch it.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Poor kitty. That is a metaphor for so much of life.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
so far the recall is for dog food, but you are absolutely right, Babypaws Babypaws we should keep an eye for a recall in cat food, just in case.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Here is this new plan from the FDA. Make of it what you will. The additional information at the end of the article is interesting.

FDA completes Food forAnimals Guidance as required by FSMA

Ragdolls90

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Curious to see if reading the ingredients I can figure out what is wrong with the food. Managese Oxide causing oxidative stress, basically cancerous causing. They call it manganous oxide on the package to get away from whole list of articles on the internet saying it causing harm to the body. Imagine giving it to a small animal like a cat. So understandable it is causing these incidents.
Read these scientific articles for fun: First one mentioning causing Parkinson disease, "Mn exposure can cause motor deficits in mammals that are characterized by extrapyramidal motor abnormalities, such as rigidity, hypokinesia, tremor, and behavioural disturbances" Mn is manganese oxide. Scary right.
Manganese-induced oxidative stress in two ontogenetic stages of chamomile and amelioration by nitric oxide: The journal says it causes depressive growth in plants

So please read the ingredient of your own food and your pet food. To avoid issues like this.