Reassurance And Experience Needed For Improving Kitten

whiskercheeks

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
First time posting, hi all! I can’t even begin to explain how much reading the different threads throughout the community has helped in this ordeal! You’re all wonderful!

So to cut to the chase, I have a nine week old baby boy named Mochi and he’s been ill for about three days solid. We rushed him to ER when his temperature went past 104 and after fluids and antibiotics he came home. Didn’t do any testing as the vet suggested we manage his fever and see how he fairs after a day or two.

He’s very lethargic but slightly more active. Very slightly, he sits up and grooms and likes to nuzzle but other than that he sleeps all day and rarely moves.
He lost quite a bit of weight but his appetite is returning and he drank some KMR with gusto today.

My question is has anyone ever had a very sickly kitten who turned around and recovered? If so, what were the signs he was feeling better and how did his improvement develop over time?

This is my first time raising a kitten from such a young age so I’m pretty lost as far as what to expect and seeing him get sick suddenly has been so tough.
Thanks in advance for all the help!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

whiskercheeks

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

This is my little boy btw still so frail but fighting like a champ

war&wisdom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I don't have any advice, but I'm sure others with more experience will be along soon. I just wanted to say how beautiful and sweet-looking he is!

moriartysa6

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I am fostering for the first time right now as well, 2 kittens who both came home with a nasty URI, but the smaller one who is also 9 weeks is experiencing it quite severely. She was lethargic as well and was not eating (due in part because she could not smell or taste food I believe?). I have been giving her 10 ccs of unflavored pedialyte every hour I am home (and not asleep) through a syringe my foster coordinator gave me and leaving out a bowl of pedialyte mixed with water for them both to drink. I wrap her up in a purrito to give her pedialyte and about 4 times a day I give her 10 ccs of canned cat food mixed with pedialyte (so it is thin enough to go through the syringe) that has been warmed in the microwave. I have only been doing this a day but she seems to be getting better (may also be due to the new medicine I have been giving her azithromycin). I will also be picking up the GNC ultra mega calorie gel (can't remember the exact name) from petsmart when I get off work to see if I can help her gain weight. Fostering for the first time is scary, especially when they experience a health issue. I'm sorry I don't have more experience, but I believe in you! It's so hard being away from them while at work and school, but no matter what happens to them even a short time in your home is a better experience than living in a crowded adoption center. I would recommend the pedialyte, so far it is doing wonders for my kitten, she has turned around a lot (I was afraid she may pass in my home because of how sick and lethargic she was) but over just the course of a day she is becoming more lively. She also spent all day sleeping, so before I had the syringes and pedialyte I would bring her over to the water and encourage her to drink and eat and use the litterbox but that only went so far. Last night after about 12 hours with her new medicine, pedialyte, and some gentle "force" feeding of the food mix, I saw her get up by herself, walk around, drink water, use the litterbox and even bat around a toy a few times, which was HUGE. I cannot recommend the pedialyte and syringes enough, they have entirely changed the game. She isn't out of the woods yet, her eye infection is still quite severe, but at least she seems like she's in less pain and a little more happy which is all I can ask for at this point. My foster coordinator said that sometimes when little ones get sick, they can get a "kitty hangover" which basically means they feel so bad they don't even want to try, like when you're sick and you don't want to get out of bed to eat or shower or even use the bathroom. I think the increase in hydration and energy from the syringe of the pedialyte and food has helped her get over that hangover so to speak so she can start to heal her body better. Please keep us updated, I know it is terrifying at times but hopefully the good days will outnumber the bad days 10:1 when your baby starts feeling better! I've said this a million times but if you read anything I wrote, PLEASE get some unflavored pedialyte (kept in the fridge) and some feeing syringes to nurse your baby back to health.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

whiskercheeks

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for your answer!! I’m so sorry to hear your babies got sick but definitely great to hear how well they’re taking to the care!!
We also utalized the syringe and pedialyte, a little trick we learned when nursing our parvo puppy back to health (which was over ten years ago and he’s a good old boy still thriving!!)
He also got up and walked around today!!!!! We were so happy!!! He’s back in bed now, even the little bit of moving around completely drained him

animallover07

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I've never experienced this problem but from reading your story it seems as though it would be rather normal. He's just coming back around slowly. Sometimes even humans get knocked down by a sickness and just need a little extra time kicking it. I would just take it one day at a time as he seems to be improving, even if it is a slow one. He seems like he is on the mend.