Reason #437 Why I Would Be A Terrible Boss

furmonster mom

Lap #2
Top Cat
Purraise
Background: 

For the last couple days 3 of the 4 cats have been hurkin' and squirtin'.  This is extremely unusual for us, and I'm not sure if the food is the issue (the meats smell and feel fine, plus they've been frozen for at least a week).  We suspect a new thing in the environment, which we moved outside this morning. 

In any case, I decided to try something that would be easier on their tummys: chicken, liver, heart, rice, and  egg whites, all cooked, plus a frozen/thawed raw egg yolk.  It's been a long time since I made a cooked meal for them, and I'm not going for full nutrition at this point... just something they might keep down and get through their systems (and YES, we are expecting to head to the vet tomorrow).

So, I put the chicken meat, heart, and liver into a small pan and stick it in the toaster oven.  Hubby comes downstairs, and the conversation goes like this:

ME:  I'm cooking the cat's meals today.

HIM:  You think that will help?

ME:  Dunno.  Worth a try.  Can't go to the vet until tomorrow.

HIM:  Yeah.  (long pause)  You're not cooking the bones in there too, are you?

ME:  What? No!  I know better than that!  (eyeroll)

HIM:  (sputtering)  I know you know... I was just... y'know... just checking.

ME:  (laughing)  Checking?  (more laughing)  Okay.

HIM:  Hey!  At least I thought about it.  You know, 'cause I was thinking...

ME:  Well, that is true.  Good thinking, hun.  I am glad you were thinking.

Really... he does deserve credit for thinking about it.  It makes me more confident that he could handle the meals on his own if he had to.

Now, to be fair, I could still cook the chicken with the bones, and just pull the meat off after...

But yeah... I would make a terrible boss.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

furmonster mom

Lap #2
Top Cat
Purraise
wut?  nobody appreciates self-deprecating humor anymore? 

Well, in case anybody cares, we did go to the vet today and got fecals done on the boys.  Fecals are more expensive than ya might think, so we figured 50% of the household was a good representative sample. 

Good news:

no ecoli

no salmonella

no giardia

Verdict:

clostridium

So, antibiotics and Forti Flora for everyone. 

Still not sure on the cause.

Food is a strong variable, since I did go to a new source for some of my last batch.

However I'm not ruling out the new cat tree either. 
  • It is the newest thing in the environment. 
  • There was a delay in shipment, so who knows what happened with it during that time. 
  • The 3 cats most interested in it got sick first, the 4th got sick a couple days later. 
  • The dog eats the same food as the cats and has not gotten ill at all, and the dog could care less about the tree.
So, cooking food for a few more days to allow tummys to recover and give the antibiotics a good run.  Then ease back into normal feeding (tossing the questionable stuff from the new source).  If no problems, then bring the tree back in from outside.

Hopefully, all will be well again within a few weeks.

Last edited:

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I hadn't seen the original post. That was good.

If mine start to have any type of digestive issues I usually add a little plain canned pumpkin to their meals. They like the Soulistic Harvest Sunrise that has pumpkin in it and they eat it a couple of times a week so we have that, too.

Glad to hear they are feeling better.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
I liked your sense of humour.

Not sure if I'd make a good boss or not. A great dictator maybe, but not such a great boss.