Rear paw treading?

Aki's mom

Owned by four tabbies
Kitten
Purraise
Hello! I'm incredibly fortunate to be loved by a rambunctious and feisty 2-year-old tabby tom named Aki. He is very devoted to me and wants to be wherever I am, and I love him so much.

A few weeks ago he started doing this weird thing: when I'm sitting on the couch, he climbs up on the back rest and then puts one of his back paws on my shoulder, near my neck. He doesn't knead, he just steps on my shoulders a few times with that paw. He seems to do it more often when my husband is sitting next to me.

We're wondering if this is some sort of jealousy-driven/possessive behavior - when trying to research it I came across the term rear paw treading and a suggestion that it is done by toms before and after mating. But he doesn't step from one back paw to the other, and also, why would he suddenly start this behavior?

Nothing has changed in his environment and he was neutered at 9 months. Does anyone have an idea where this comes from?

Attachments

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think he is so happy and content with you there he is starting the kneading process. Notice if he is purring when he does this. i ahev often had cats rock from one paw to the other in a rhythm of contentment.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I have no idea if what Feeby (17+ yo) does is actually the same thing, but she seems to prefer placing one of her back paws against me when lying beside me. She doesn't really move it much (certainly nothing like kneading), but she will 'adjust' the placement a few times, for lack of a better description. She's done this for as long as I can remember, so not sure when she started doing it, but she has kept it up all these years.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Aki's mom

Owned by four tabbies
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you so much for your replies, di and bob and FeebysOwner!

No, he is not purring when he does this, and he doesn't knead or step from one paw to the other, that's the weird thing. He stands behind me on the backrest of the couch and just places one back paw firmly on my shoulder. Then he lifts the same paw a couple of times to firmly put it down again, maybe three or four times. He's not lying down and he's not even looking at me while he does it. When he's done he jumps down and goes back to whatever he was doing.

I thought at first he wanted attention, but he doesn't want to be petted. He's very good at letting me know what he wants usually, that's why I'm just so puzzled by this behavior. I've never had a cat who does this.

Feeby sounds like such a sweetheart, like she just needs to make sure mom/dad is there and watching over her!

Aki's mom

Owned by four tabbies
Kitten
Purraise
Feeby will get up and move if I try to pet her when she is doing this 'thing' (but she will generally come back to do it again)!!
Interesting! It's like she just wants this one connection to you, anything more is too much.

Aki's mom

Owned by four tabbies
Kitten
Purraise
Of course, you know Aki best - but maybe what he is doing is for the same reason??
That's what I thought at first, too. But then why does he only do it for a couple seconds and then jump down? 🤔 He usually let's me know when he just wants to be close but not touched.