Really nervous about getting my cat spayed

Issy86

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She is so wonderfully affectionate and has a fantastic little personality.
I'm worried getting her spayed will change her? Has anyone ever found this?
I'm planning to keep her indoors so I'm starting to ask myself if spaying her is even necessary x

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Spaying is necessary even if you're going to keep her indoors. She would go in heat anyway and try to escape. And the heat cycles will damage her body.
So it's necessary.
About the personality, she could even get sweeter.

Is she the one in your avatar? Wow, what a jewel!

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
It doesn't really affect their personality that much, but it does make them a lot happier as they don't have to go through heat cycle after heat cycle. They're a lot less prone to disease as well.

Why You Should Spay And Neuter Your Cats

Don't worry about it, she will be fine. You'll be a lot less stressed too. A female cat in heat is so loud and so obviously uncomfortable, it's really stressful to be around them.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Issy86

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you so so much. Needed to hear how it will actually benefit her, indoors or not. I will be going ahead on Monday then. Just so worried about her recovery too, it seems such a big operation for a female cat. I've only got experience with Male cats being neutered and their recovery.

Yes Antonio, shes the one in my avatar. Thanks very much, I agree she is such a beauty xx

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have never had a cat's personality change from spaying. I have had it change from getting older. I have also had MANY cats spayed and not one has died from the spaying, but lost two young females when giving birth......
As your little girl goes through heat cycles, they will get more and more persistant. she will cry nonstop for DAYS not hours and will do anything to get outside. And to top it all off, if she doesn't get bred she will almost immediately go back into heat, they are not like dogs that have time between cycles. You don't want her to go through all this, believe me. It is horrible to watch.
Even though I have had more cats spayed than I can count, I still get sick to my stomach every time I bring one in, so you are not alone in your concerns. But I have found my fears never come true, so don't try to predict dire outcomes for the future. You can't make something happen by thinking about it.
You AND your little one will be much happier in the future, just grit your teeth and get it over with. She will be quiet and sore for a couple of days, some even bounce back immediately. I have never used a cone and all have come through fine. the worst I had was one that didn't eat for three days, I had to realy tempt her into eating. The best was I opened teh carrier and she ran around like nothing had ever happened, she is still with me today. I will pray for your little girl to come through fine, all the luck!

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Another reason to do it.... google Pyometra. Its awful.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Issy86

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Just wanted to update here that I had my girly spayed 9 days ago and shes bounced back beautifully. All that worry for nothing! Thanks to all that replied and really helped to reassure me I was doing the right thing xx

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks so much for your update! Now you can reassure others that their worries are unfounded. I bet it is a huge relief to have it over and done with, it always is.....

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
So glad it went well. Spaying is really uneventful for most cats and usually the biggest issue is keeping them from running and jumping for the first few days.