Really need some sound advice on Kitten's rehoming age

Mr_Kitty

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hello good people,

Many of you already know me, the neurotic Mr_Kitty who bought his cat of Kijiji but then ended up practically saving the kitten I purchased from malnourishment and other bad practices as well as the 4 littler-mates and mother cat as well as educating the seller for future reference.

Yes I got a Kijiji cat but considering my actions, I practically saved multiple cat lives, if the new owners choose to ignore all or some of my lessons, that's already not on me. I even bought expensive wet and dry food to replace the garbage she was feeding her cat and then the kittens when they were ready for food other than the milk from mother cat. That made her get rid of her cheap food and buy the kind I recommended, and I hope she was telling me the truth but it seems like she did.

My kitten is 8 weeks old already and I booked a first Vet appointment and because there's a long wait list, I gotta wait until March 1st which will make my kitten 9 weeks old. The receptionist said that's okay.

Here's the thing... I was advised NOT to pick up my kitten and take him home as in fully re-home him other than picking him up for his Vet appointments until he's at least 10 weeks old preferably 12 weeks old. Some even said 14, 16 or up to 20 weeks. I feel like that's excessive and while I respect the reasoning behind it, everyone I know who has cats (and that's a lot of people) took their home between 7.8 and 10 weeks old and the cats all did and still doing well and have fantastic temperament.

My concern is that I will pick up my kitten and give him the right first treatment and then bring him back to her and God knows if it will undo the good that the first vet visit did. What if her cat has parasites? Or anything else...

I was also told by the receptionist that it was better if I took the kitten home with me to monitor him and let them know how he's doing after his first visit and until the next one (I can't trust the seller will give me accurate information or enough information)

Furthermore, the littler-mates are all gone... He only has his mother left for those Social Lessons they learn between 8 and 12 weeks old. If he had at least another kitten to play with then I would still not consider taking him before the 12 week mark.

As a final note, she is not giving the kitten the care I would provide. Other than him being with his mother cat, I believe I would treat the kitten a lot more professionally. She acts loving and caring but more like a child would. Doesn't know or learn anything about kittens/cats and I pray she really did take my advice and implement the things I taught her. At this point I can only take her word for it.

I also need a stool sample for the first appointment and God knows if she will even give me the right one (she might just pick something from the litter box and who knows if it's the right one) I know I'm judging her prior to giving her the benefit of the doubt but she didn't leave me much room to trust her competence.

I really want to postpone the first Vet visit until the kitten is 10 weeks old and then just take him home right after rather than returning the kitten to the seller's place.

Is it bad to wait the extra 2 weeks (postponing his exam and shots etc)

Is it bad giving him the second round of shots and check up just TWO weeks later considering he needs to go back at 12 weeks?

Is it bad separating the kitten from the mother at 10 weeks considering the littler-mates are all sold and gone?

I can give my kitten a much better life and professional care, can you please tell me it's okay to proceed with my plan?

Thank you all for taking the time to help me.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
From the sounds of the owner, I think you would provide the kitten with everything and more than it needs. Since all the other kittens are already homed out, being with the mother would give it very little compared to being with his siblings. Since the siblings teach limits and how to play nice, I think you are smart enough about cats to teach it not to be ill-mannered and bite, etc., as with any loving parent you will do fine. As you said, it is not receiving very good care, I would trust your instincts. I feel sorry for the momma cat, maybe you could check on her once in a while, or see if she has the proper food? I wonder if you can talk the owner into getting her spayed?....since you have booked the appt. keep it and get the kitten permanently, maybe now or before. If you truly believe your kitten will not receive the proper care I'm sure everyone should agree that you need to get him now and get him out of a potentially bad situation. I wish you well!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Mr_Kitty

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
From the sounds of the owner, I think you would provide the kitten with everything and more than it needs. Since all the other kittens are already homed out, being with the mother would give it very little compared to being with his siblings. Since the siblings teach limits and how to play nice, I think you are smart enough about cats to teach it not to be ill-mannered and bite, etc., as with any loving parent you will do fine. As you said, it is not receiving very good care, I would trust your instincts. I feel sorry for the momma cat, maybe you could check on her once in a while, or see if she has the proper food? I wonder if you can talk the owner into getting her spayed?....since you have booked the appt. keep it and get the kitten permanently, maybe now or before. If you truly believe your kitten will not receive the proper care I'm sure everyone should agree that you need to get him now and get him out of a potentially bad situation. I wish you well!
I really do feel that I learned so much about kittens/cats (more than what a regular loving owner would know, let alone a first time owner) AND I am still learning because I want to make sure I take good care of my kitten and give it a good life. While I cannot afford a raw food diet like I learned they should be on from Jackson Galaxy, I will still get it very healthy dry/wet food and make sure it has a fountain so it drinks more and play with it and make sure the litter box is always clean etc. I am looking into pet insurance as well, not sure if that is the way to go but I will see with time.

Now having said all of that. The seller does not seem evil or anything and if she was telling me the truth (which I will never be able to know for sure) she was very remorseful feeding them that garbage and switched to the food I gifted her. She still has plenty of the dry food but she asked us to buy her more wet food (I was shocked she actually asked for more, and I said I can't get her more free food but looks like someone did) which means that I really got through to the seller and the other new owners.

Aside from the food, she seems fairly clean in a 1 bedroom basement apartment and the cat/kittens were on a little soft carpet like bed in the closet and she really does love them and sent us videos playing with them (sometimes too much,.. cause I was like "you're holding the kitten too tight!") but it seems like my kitten specifically liked to curl under the blanket with her so clearly it likes her and I am saying IT cause we think it's a male but unsure for now (at 8 weeks she should be able to tell though..)

So she is pretty decent with the kitten but still seems like she needs some supervision as she does not research like I do and let her cat get knocked up... and there are just a few signs which make me worry as I am not sure how much of what she says is true and honestly for the most part I am pretty sure it will do well there for the remaining 4 weeks until 12 weeks total. Then again if there is little to no benefit having my kitten there ONLY with mother cat and NO litter-mates then I much rather pick it up on week 9.

I was wondering if I should pick it up on Saturday and let it get used to my apartment and hopefully it will poop and I will have a stool sample for the Vet on the following Monday. So instead of letting it stay there until Monday, get it on the weekend, let alone I won't make it i time to the vet if I had to go there first straight after work so I have to pick it up AT LEAST on Sunday.

My concern with picking the kitten up a couple days early is if it has fleas or parasites... I don't want to have to clean my ENTIRE apartment because of that. I was thinking of getting Burt's Bees for Cats Tearless Kitten Shampoo and washing him in a separate tote and this way I can "wash off" her apartment from him and know he is clean, and hopefully doesn't carry fleas/parasites.

I will tell her to get her spayed when I pick up my kitten. I don't know whether she will listen though. As for the food, it's on her, I can't keep buying it for her. I also told her I will keep in touch with her (as she got pretty attached to the kitten) so I don't mind teaching her some stuff from time to time. Hopefully seeing what I do will inspire her to follow.

PS I don't think you are neurotic at all, you are a caring, smart, loving cat person. There is nothing neurotic about that, or we all are!
Also thank you for reassuring me I am not crazy lol. I mean look at the detail in my messages... But it is just cause I absolutely need to know all of this stuff in order to avoid multiple unpleasant situations. I really appreciate you reading everything and commenting!

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I will help you in any way I can, you are just having the jitters that come with getting something new in your life. I appreciate that you see this as a commitment. I have never fed a raw diet, too complicated and expensive, plus what happens when you will be out of town for a day? I do admit to buying more wet now and grain-free dry. Please keep me informed on how it is going!