Really, is it bad to only have 1 cat? And what's best to do when I'm at work?

x2006nkg

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
This is kinda of a two part question. I'm sorry it's so long, I've never been one to be brief.

I would LOVE to have two or more cats, but I currently rent a flat and my lease limits it to one one cat. I just moved in over 1 month ago, so don't want to push it yet with my landlord. In a few months I am hoping I can discuss it further with my landlord and show him Riley does no damage, and will be allowed to get a second cat. If not, well I will look into other options because I will most certainly get more in the future.

Anyways, when I was recently looking to adopt a kitten I contacted three different shelters/rescue group around my city to get information, and was told by all three that they won't adopt cats out as "one-ies". A quote from one group - "we don't adopt kittens out as "one-sies" because we feel social development is as important to a cat as physical development, and cats are social creatures (contrary to popular belief). There may be a couple in our roster that might be suitable."

So, I know it's ideal to have more than one, but my current situation only allows me to have one. I give him plenty of love and company when I'm home, but, now I fear he may be too lonely when I'm away at work. I was still in bed today when my boyfriend left for work. As soon as my BF walked out the door, Riley started crying (I don't think he realized I was still home). So, I went to go get him and he seemed so happy to see me. Also, when we get home he runs up to me and meows until I pick him up.

We just adopted him last week, so up until then he was in a small room at a vet clinic with two other kittens. I have TONS of toys around the flat, and I keep a radio on while I'm away to give some noise and talking. So, my second part of my question is just suggestions on what I can do to minimize any loneliness while we're at work. I live in a large two bed room flat and he has the run of the place.

Thanks in advance!

mystik spiral

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't know if shelters are much different in Canada than they are here in the US, but I'm surprised (and saddened) to hear that they will only adopt out kittens in pairs. You'd think with so many homeless cats they'd jump for joy at any kitten/cat they can place in a forever home. The shelters near me will often have adoption deals when you adopt two cats (lots of times they'll do a two-for-one) but they don't require that you get two.

Anyway, I have one cat, have had her for three years, and I got her when she was still a kitten (5 months old, so an older kitten, but still a kitten). I also work all day, and like you I have several toys out for her to play with and I leave the radio on when I'm gone. I also play with her just before I leave for work, when I get home, and right before bed (and any time in between that she wants to play with me).

I suspect she sleeps most of the day, because I will often wake up in the middle of the night and hear her playing, and sometimes she will sit on me and knead my legs around 2:00 in the morning

I just don't see any problem with having one cat. As long as they aren't taken too young from their mothers, I don't know why this would cause any sort of developmental issues. If you look at cats in the wild, with the exception of lions, they are solitary creatures. For our domesticated babies, sure it's nice for them to have a playmate, but I don't think it's detrimental for them to be alone, as long as they have things around to stimulate them. Heck, I've witnessed my cat stare out the window for hours at a time, just watching the neighborhood, perfectly happy.

I hope your landlord will eventually let you get another one (really, two cats aren't all that different from one cat
). I have a two pet limit at my apartment, which is fine by me because I live in a tiny one bedroom. Riley has toys and space to play, so that's great. One suggestion that I have would be a tall cat condo. I just bought one for Holland a couple weeks ago, and she loves it! She's usually laying on the top platform, looking out at the world when I get home from work.
It might seem boring to us, but to cats it's great entertainment.

Good luck!

blueorchid

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
When I was looking to adopt a kitten many places turned me down because I was only adopting one. I ended up going to the county animal shelter and adopting from them. They have so many kittens that there is no adoption fee, and they don't care if you only take one. With that being said, my kitten is perfectly content by herself

ducman69

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a pan/tilt IP camera setup, in fact I'm sitting right next to my laptop that has it maximized right now, so I can watch my cats at home alone while I'm at work for my long 13hr shifts.

They play chase with each other for a couple hours, stare out the window and smack bugs on the glass and spaz out when a bug makes it into the house, but generally cuddle up together and sleep almost the entire time I'm away. So, while your kitten might be lonely at first, later on he's likely to just want to sleep almost the whole time you are gone anyway as he gets older.

Window shelves or a tree by a window is the best way IMO to keep em entertained while you're gone. Its basically cat-TV.

Remember that when adopting a second cat later though, its not the same as adopting kittens together. The new cat is most likely going to be considered an intruder, and so proper introductions have to be made. If you go TOO long, the cat used to being alone may also become very antisocial and may never get along with another cat in HIS house.

luvzmykatz

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It's only when I started working two jobs and got involved with camping and outdoor activities that I looked into a buddy for him. I took in a foster cat to see if they would get along. Being older it's seem to have perked him up a bit. They play and he get some exercise and I don't worry about his being on his own. Some cats are better off on their own so I'd recommend a rescue that will let you foster to see if it will work out before finalizing anything. You might find the cat you want isn't compatible with the one you already have.

cat person

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
"Domestic" cat(s) are generally solitary by nature. Even cats like my DLH Panda, that really do not mind/appreciate another cat for company COULD BE fine alone.

Almost every cat I have met via working in shelter, fostering, and reghoming would be very very happy as an only cat

Even if someone makes the argument that kittens need a friend (that can be true), what happens when the kittens grow up. Most adult cats, are very happy being the only cat in the home/territory.

So my two cents are, if you only want one cat/kitten that is fine.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

x2006nkg

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
That's for all the information everyone!

I'm having a feeling he spends the majority of his time sitting at the window, as every day I come home from work he's just perched on the sill. There's a big black lab across the street and I've seen about four different outdoor cats around, so I imagine he's watching them.

I'm also going to get him a cat condo/house to play on. I've also been looking into fostering, but again the whole one pet limit in my apartment will prevent that for now. I also worry that I'll fall in love with every little kitty and be crushed when they leave. But it is a smart idea when I decide to adopt another kitty to foster then first to ensure they get along with Riley.

Thanks again everyone!! I feel a lot better now