REALLY AN NEED ANSWER!

Katielacefield

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have a cat who is 2 years old and he is spayed. And since he was about 1 years old once a month he would have a really bad cough and have really weird heavy breathing and acts off for about a week. Then he doesn’t have it anymore. It’s the same thing. Every month for one week. During this week he also either passes a hairball in is stool or vomits one. Could it be to do with hair balls? One of my friends just made me realize how weird this is. Is this concerning? Could it just be a hair ball? (Ik I need to message the vet but I really would like to hear peoples opinions first.)

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, hairballs are normal and, occasionally, they will hack them up. Yeah, it's gross!

No, your friend is wrong. Your cat is not weird for getting hairballs and puking them up. It's normal.

Some cats have allergies or become sensitive to dust and pollen, just like people do. People can cough, sneeze or wipe their nose but cats can't. When this happens to a cat, it will often get down low, close to the ground, stick out its neck and make a honking or coughing sound. This is mostly normal and, as long as it only happens occasionally and lasts for a minute or so, there is nothing to worry about. Just let the cat cough up whatever is ailing him and keep an eye on him. If it passes, give your cat a little comfort.

A few cats have severe allergies or even asthma. In this case, the coughing lasts longer and there may even be some wheezing and struggling to breathe. If this lasts longer than a minute, it might be an emergency. If it happens more than a couple of times per week, it's something to call the vet about.

If it is asthma, it is treatable almost the same way as with humans. The vet might give you an inhaler with medicine just the same as people use. You might also be prescribed other medicines for long term use.

If it's allergies, again, the same goes for cats as for people. Try to find out what's causing it and remove it. Possibly take some medicine.

One of the most important things to do when your cat starts coughing is to keep the house clean. Vacuum carpets and upholstery regularly. Dust the shelves and do all of those other common sense things. Whether it be allergies, asthma or just plain sneezing, your first line of defense is to remove the thing that's causing the problem.

You probably should call your vet just to get your cat checked out and help your peace of mind.

It never hurts to get professional advice. :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Katielacefield

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you so very much!!!!!! Sorry one more question, if it is a hairball would it be normal for him to have one once a month? (That’s when he coughs for about a week every month till he has a hairball). Also, if it is a hair ball would it cause him to move his belly a lot when breathing and breath with his mouth open?

sorry for all the questions if you don’t answer I understand thank youso much for all your help! (Will be contacting myvet just to be sure he’s okay)

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
A hairball could be spit up on an irregular basis, like a monthly pattern you are describing. However, you don't want a major problem with hairballs to arise and, if these are hairballs, there is a pattern already. You also don't want to ignore coughing or gagging. When my cats spit up hairballs, which is not very often, it is more like a sudden gagging and it is out. I have not personally had one who strained to get one up.

How To Treat – And Prevent – Hairballs In Cats – TheCatSite Articles

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just to be safe, since you’re already planning to call a vet, ask about getting him checked for worms…or…Has he been checked recently?