Reality TV

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
I must eat crow. I hope it's palatable!

I'm the one who never watched a lot of reality TV. And I still refuse to watch the 90 day Anything shows or the Naked and Afraid shows, or any of the grabbing for gold shows. I kind of looked down my nose at reality TV.

But I started watching quite a bit of the SCIENCE channel and I really like What on Earth?. Sometimes I watch Mysteries of the Abandoned. I also like How the Universe Works and Unearthed.

Similarly, on Animal Planet, I started watching Rocky Mountain Vet repeats. Those people restore my faith in humanity; they do a lot of good for people and, more importantly, their pets. I think I mentioned this before in another post, but I like River Monsters with Jeremy Wade. Interesting show also on Animal Planet. My son was shocked when we talked about River Monsters at Christmas because he never thought I'd be interested in it; he and my grandson watched it when it first came on. It's repeats as the show is no longer being produced. But I like Jeremy Wade, so I also watched Dark Waters and the Mighty Rivers. And when I have an hour or so of time, I'll watch Mysteries of the Deep out in the Shed. There aren't that many episodes.

They say everything tastes like chicken. I hope crow does, too. :D

GranolaLouise

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I must eat crow. I hope it's palatable!

I'm the one who never watched a lot of reality TV. And I still refuse to watch the 90 day Anything shows or the Naked and Afraid shows, or any of the grabbing for gold shows. I kind of looked down my nose at reality TV.

But I started watching quite a bit of the SCIENCE channel and I really like What on Earth?. Sometimes I watch Mysteries of the Abandoned. I also like How the Universe Works and Unearthed.

Similarly, on Animal Planet, I started watching Rocky Mountain Vet repeats. Those people restore my faith in humanity; they do a lot of good for people and, more importantly, their pets. I think I mentioned this before in another post, but I like River Monsters with Jeremy Wade. Interesting show also on Animal Planet. My son was shocked when we talked about River Monsters at Christmas because he never thought I'd be interested in it; he and my grandson watched it when it first came on. It's repeats as the show is no longer being produced. But I like Jeremy Wade, so I also watched Dark Waters and the Mighty Rivers. And when I have an hour or so of time, I'll watch Mysteries of the Deep out in the Shed. There aren't that many episodes.

They say everything tastes like chicken. I hope crow does, too. :D
I am not one to watch singing,dancing,dating competition shows. I like the Law and Order series and one soap from the UK called Casualty. I like series like Vera and Doc Martin so have Britbox and Acorn on my Amazon Prime. But I just switched to a new internet,tv,phone plan and went from 230 bucks to 59 bucks a month. So I had to say adios to my animal shows..Dr pol,critter fixers,that Alaska vet and others that got me into animals after getting my kitty in august,shows on nat geo wild.
But every now and then I would take a look at the outdoor survival shows and can't help thinking they are not alone because there has to be someone there filming from all the different angles and closeups .They just don't seem all that REALITY to me.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Educational and documentary based "reality" TV is not the same as the scripted garbage like housewives, bachelor, big brother, Kardashian type stuff that are just about frivolous drama poop.
I'm with you, I will not watch the latter forms of "reality" TV. But some games shows are fun...now that I'm older and wiser, I can actually get Jeopardy questions right!!! I also indulge in some of the more educational shows like river monsters, and I do watch the Curse of Oak Island...it's not so much the "quest for gold" that drew me in but the history surrounding Oak Island itself. Learning about the Knights Templar, Pirates and various other things is fun as is the Beyond Oak Island show where they focus on other quests for lost treasures. Learning about notorious and legendary figures from the past is interesting. I would not consider How the Universe works as a reality show...I love that show too btw.
I have watched a few different types of reality competition shows. When American Idol first came out, I liked to watch it...there were some really great singers. Same with So you think you can dance, really wonderful performances. I'm out of that phase now though, and the type of talent competition shows they have now are just not the same...for example, I don't care about has been celebrities trying to get back into the spotlight by dancing...usually horribly.

GranolaLouise

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree, Jem.I watch selected and I know they are dramas..scripted shows..fiction. But I am repulsed by so called 'reality' trying to pass for real life when they are in reality, scripted, and fake.
Oak Island sounds interesting, but I cannot get The History Channel any more and a season is $25 on Amazon Prime.

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I enjoy some trashy reality tv or reality game shows. Dancing with the Stars, the Masked Singer, Survivor.

Idk if cooking competition counts as reality, too, but I also enjoy some of those.

And when I'm feeling suuuuper trashy, Bridezillas is where it's at.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The only one I watch on a regular basis is My 600 Pound Life. They show the entire process before and after weight loss surgery, some never make it to the surgery. There are some very common themes that come out in the therapy that is required. Abuse in childhood, often sexual, abandonment by a parent and addicted parent or parents.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
To me there’s a BIG difference between watching the Kardashians and (my favorite) The Curse of Oak Island. DS loves history because of watching that show. DH has been watching the Skinwalker Ranch one and thats neat because they use science too.

I used to like Dancing with the Stars and sometimes the cooking competition shows were ok. But no Bachelor/Bachelorette type shows. Adding real history and science makes it so much more interesting. It takes them from subjects in a book into something with real life application and its so interesting!

I loved the whole Trading Spaces show in its early years; but now not so much. I love design and renovation shows; but not like that.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
There's NO way I'm the only one here who watches The Kardashians. I might be the only one who will admit it though. :lol:

I understand why people don't like them or their show. It's not for everyone. Lilith loves to snuggle with me and she does watch some TV. She will lay next to me and watch. When THAT show comes on, she looks at me over her shoulder and I get the look. I call it the withering look of disapproval. She's so judgmental. :lol:

I like River Monsters and the like. I also like a lot of the paranormal shows and 1,000 Pound Sisters. If anyone likes My 600 Pound Life you'd probably like that too.

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I enjoy Masked Singer (althought last season's format was bad. If they keep that format I may be out) and American Idol. Lost interest in the Voice and Dancing with the Stars years ago.

Shows I do like to watch are The Secret of Skinwalker Ranch, occasionally What on Earth, Battle Bots, I'm sure there are others but my brain is not working this morning (not enough sleep). Husband will put on Undercover Boss and I'll watch if I'm in the room, but I just feel shows like that are scripted and probably fake. I could be wrong of course.

There's NO way I'm the only one here who watches The Kardashians. I might be the only one who will admit it though. :lol:
I may be the only person on the planet who has never seen an episode of the Kardashians, and don't have any plans to start now.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
I have never watched one minute of the Kardashians. In fact, when people first started talking about them, I had to ask a friend who they were. I didn't know. And now, I see enough of them on social media and such.

I agree that most of the documentary-type shows are probably more of an educational thing than reality. How the Universe Works on SCIENCE, for example, is simply amazing. I watched the show about the Webb telescope and was enthralled with the pictures; I think I was born about 200 years too soon. The channels that I mostly watch are now on D+, so I can go there to catch up on episodes.

And yes, I do have an interest in the paranormal. I did enjoy Dead Files and I hope it comes back for another season. And I've been a Ghost Hunters fan forever, even though, yeah, most of that has to be scripted. I tried to watch Ghost Adventures, but Zak completely turned me off the show.

Years ago, I was an avid Food Network fan. When it became all about the food competitions, I stopped watching. And Guy Fieri turns my stomach. I wish we got the Cooking channel; alas, it is on a higher cable tier.

Other than a few minutes here and there, I have not watched Skinwalker Ranch and have been tempted to check it out on D+.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I forgot to mention one show that I watch...Amazing Race and Amazing Race Canada. Hubby and I will sort of play along choosing which challenge we would each do. Some of the couples can get under our skin with the drama, but we can always fine a few to root for.

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I enjoy Masked Singer (althought last season's format was bad. If they keep that format I may be out) and American Idol.
I actually liked the format last season. Since people didn't have to commit for as long of a time period, I think that's why they were able to pull in some bigger names I'd actually heard of.

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
I love Dr Jeff from Rocky Mountain Pets... an amazing person.. with an amazing story of his life. He has personally overcome so many health obstacles.. Love him..

allmykitties

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I do enjoy the occasional cooking competition show--sometimes I even learn something like how to do a particular technique or how to make a combination of foods work. But for the most part, I don't find much worth watching on TV (although playing along with Jeopardy is fun).

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Supernatural!! I have seen the entire series probably 20 times. That is not an exaggeration. Although it is not a reality show. I sure wish it were. I cannot watch the Winchesters though. Just isn't interesting to me.

I hate any of the animal vet shows because I become really obnoxious when I start pointing out how wrong everyone is.

catloverfromwayback

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Only sort-of reality TV I ever watched were the 1900 House and 1940s House series, made in 1999 and 2001, though Time Team has also been described as Britain’s first reality TV series.