Real or Fake?

The Goodbye Bird

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

So, most of the comments lean toward fake, fake, fake.

However, I'm familiar with what it takes to make a cat blue-eyed, and for high-quality blue eyes, it's two things:

1. The gene for blue eyes. This usually comes with colourpoint or dominant white as a package deal.
However, this will only give you basic crystal blue eyes that lack brown, yellow, or green colouration. This will not be a vibrant blue.

2. The right kind of reflectivity in the eyes, and lots of it.
Breeders of Siamese cats select for these reflection factors. Vibrant, intense blue is a result of reflection, not pigment.

Knowing this, and knowing that the video's creator probably doesn't know this, it's possible this is a normal, non-blue-eyed cat with... a novel blue-violet reflection factor that a Siamese breeder would give their right arm, left leg, and probably attempt forbidden alchemy to get a hold of.

That said, the video really does look like someone made it using green screen technology.

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You can see the cat's actual eye color at the beginning of the video. It's sort of greenish yellow.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

The Goodbye Bird

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
You can see the cat's actual eye color at the beginning of the video. It's sort of greenish yellow.
I see that. It looks sloppy, doesn't it? Okay, yeah, obviously fake.

That's what I thought at first. Then I noticed that when the cat turns or backs away, throughout the video, the blue-violet is barely there. So either this is some very, very sloppy individual with a basic editing tool that happens to mimic the reflectivity, or, just perhaps...

Meh. Honestly I say it's fake too.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm not sure a cat's eyes could be that shade of violet. It looks unnatural. There is a limit to what our bodies can do!

At the beginning it looks like he has "ice yellow" colored eyes, which is cool enough. I once TNRed a tom with eyes that color, and he must have gotten around because I saw it in local strays a lot after that. The litter I kept was fathered by him and the male has eyes that color, I'll see if I can get pictures (he's still pretty feral even though his sisters are mostly tame).

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Except that's not the part of the eye that reflects. His pupils are very small in the video, so you wouldn't be able to see any reflectivity anyway. The iris doesn't reflect.

The Goodbye Bird

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Except that's not the part of the eye that reflects. His pupils are very small in the video, so you wouldn't be able to see any reflectivity anyway. The iris doesn't reflect.
What I've been reading about the intense blue Siamese breeders covet is that it is not strictly speaking a colour - it is reflectivity. In other words, the coloured part of the eye (the iris) has the gene for blue which makes it a crystal blue, then it also has lots of reflectivity in blue which gives it that super deep, intense ocean blue.

The Goodbye Bird

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
See that looks fake too! Maybe the vid is unedited.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's fake too, or at least enhanced. I reverse searched the photo and found this one, these colors are at least believable:
images (3).jpeg

But because a bobcat's eyes usually look like this, I'm not sure where the colors are coming from at all, unless there's something colorful in the surroundings they're reflecting:
images (4).jpeg

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
See that looks fake too! Maybe the vid is unedited.
The video is 100% edited. You can see the editing slip at parts no doubt. Can Cats Have Purple Eyes?

What I've been reading about the intense blue Siamese breeders covet is that it is not strictly speaking a colour - it is reflectivity. In other words, the coloured part of the eye (the iris) has the gene for blue which makes it a crystal blue, then it also has lots of reflectivity in blue which gives it that super deep, intense ocean blue.
Yes, blue is reflective. You can tell with how my blue eyed cats blue intensity changes depending on lighting.

20200718_075332.jpg

20200701_180615.jpg
20200311_173206.jpg
20200125_141419.jpg

My other blue eyed cat is more blue grey tones.

20200809_113209.jpg

20200623_203411.jpg

Eyes that are blue in cats (blue, green or hazel in humans) are more impacted by surroundings. They vary within a certain range depending lighting and background.

Another reason the video is fake, other then the bad editing, it the intensity of the color doesn't change as the cat moves.

Last edited:

basscat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
@bassman is that a photo of Gibbs ?
No, the 1st Picture with the evil solid green reflection :lol: is Gibsy.
The 2nd is a reflection of surroundings, and yes a Bobcat....but that's not my Lil Turd.
I've got some pics somewhere of Gibs with the outer reflecting colors but can't seem to find it right now.
Usually, it's just his pupils glowing bright green though.

Last edited:

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Lol, looks fake to me... his eyes look yellow-green in the beginning... it would be great to have a violet eyed cat though. Most cat’s eyes will reflect color or look so beautiful in cetain lights etc. Siamese cats have an albino gene which affects the pigment in their coat and their eyes, they don’t have full pigment in their eyes... and due to an under developed tapetum lucidum they can’t see as well in the dark as other cats... from what I have read it seems the blue is mostly reflection. Quinn sometimes has a deep blue, but most of the time his eyes look lighter blue... catching it on a photo or a video is another story.

This Is Why ALL Siamese Cats Have Blue Eyes! | FAQcats.com