Ready to being very old feral inside.. Need support please

m935

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
so.. I have a few days to see if her brother comes back. He had left for 4 days before but they are possibily 15 years old. So.. She's very sweet. Im assuming you would all suggest i being her indoor! Right? That despite knowing only the outside.. She should adjust???
I'm worried about my dog and indoor cat. It will be a hassle to do the introduction for sure. I don't know if shed be too frightened.. Would she die of fear?
Im totally making a plan.. not throwing her into my house. I have a large dog crate i think will fit in my bathroom. My fear is also fleas!!! I brought a feral in 10 years ago and the infestation was depressing. I didn't wsnt to ever deal with it again.
I've been using diatomaceous earth on both cats fur for a few weeks. I have frontline spray whuch i would use on her a few days before my attempt. Abd then on my indoor pets. Im hoping keeping her in bathroom would also hekp with keepung any fleas out of rugs??
Any other suggestions??
Thanks. Im really praying her brother comes back.. But i would still need this info for the future. I thought for sure the heat was killing him last summer he wss so lethargic... So im deeply grateful for the extra year at least.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, I am always going to say to bring them in. They just live such hard lives outside and especially older kitties. It sounds like you have thought this out well. A vet check as early as possible. I usually do it right away because I want to get them over any upset all at once and I also wasn’t to make sure they have anything they may need. If you got close enough to put diatomaceous earth in the fur then I would guess you already have a relationship with her? I’m that case, you are well on your way. Isolating her in the bathroom is a big yes! Besides fleas, she needs time to adjust and learn all the new scents and sounds. You also isolate your be sure she is a healthy girl before introductions. Just to be cautious. Fleas! Yuck. I know how that can be! Again, you have planned well. You could ask your vet about something called Capstar. It is a pill that kills adult fleas for 24 hours. If she happens to have fleas, that helps. It won’t kill eggs or larvae but still, I used it on every rescue here before bringing them in or on the first day so that it bought me time to get other flea and parasite treatments accomplished. That is up to you and your vet to determine. With severely infested kitties, it can be extremely helpful.
Introduce her to the others slowly! Let them all adjust at their own pace. I have had some ferals adjust almost immediately and some took much longer. There are ways to help them all get to know each other, like scent swapping. That is just one introduction trick. Let us know when you get her inside and bravo to you for doing this! If you are a kitty guardian, you are a kitty hero! I hope her brother returns soon. It would be great if you could bring them in together.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

m935

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much! I wss able to use a flea comb on her a few minutes ago. No adult fleas were found. There's no time of year when they wouldn't be found. Right? As in this is normal in may... But in a month.. They'll be everywhere? :)
Tomorrow is the day that if her brother doesn't show up.. He's gone. I already sort of know.. And it's heartbreaking. 14 years I've cared for them. I've mourned so many times.. (20+ cats in colony) It gets worse every time for me... Not easier.. At all. Thanks again.

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Definitely bring her inside! As for fleas you can try Capster to kill the fleas. A good flea comb works too.

I recently started using Flea EX Flea-eX for Cats - Two Crazy Cat Ladies on my cats and so far no fleas. My cats are all indoor cats now, but I do have one that sits on the deck with us. This is really easy to use too.

I have brought some older feral cats inside. When I moved 4 years ago, I brought 3 feral cats to live inside. They had never lived inside a house and the oldest was 9. He did the best! A small space is best to start with and then gradually moving to a larger room.

If she does well and you can move her out of the dog crate and into a room of her own, be sure to cat proof it. The hardest problem is when cats can get under or behind large pieces of furniture. The bed is the biggest issue. I always put the bed flat on the floor or if it is not needed, then put it up against the wall. The same goes for other large furniture. Block under and behind. You do want a safe hiding spot such as a hiding box in a cat tree or a small cat cabana. Watch out for windows/screens. Be sure windows are tightly closed and blinds/drapes out of reach.

Playing some soft cat music is also helpful. I have found lots on youtube or Amazon music.

Best of luck. I hope all goes well and please keep us updated.

m935

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
THank you!!!
I have a vet appointment for monday. My concerns are... Im worried about her age. Could she ever be so scared she has a heartattack? I dont know it its too much. Should I trap her, bring her in then hopefully get her back in crate to take her a few days later?? I was going to trap, put her in car and go.. but also stressful for me as I have an appointment. I catch her too early and what do I do with her?
2nd question is.. what if vet finds something that will harm my other cat? DO i put her back outside??? I dont want to put her down. She seems healthy and happy. DOing all this just to kill her would be devasting.
My last question... i said id put her in bathroom. VERY small in fact I may have to skip a shower of 2. So.. i have a 2nd floor balcony. Considering shes outside anyway, can i put her in dog crate on balcony. Its not covered, but i could protect her from sun. But no animals could harm her for sure. Id have food, litter and water of course. for a day or 2 weather permitting,

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It is very hard to know how they will react when they come inside. Some adjust quickly and easily and others can take a long time. You just won't know until you try.

If the vet find she has FELV(feline leukemia) that is a hard one. My guess is that she is fine as living until 14 with FELV would not be common. FIV on the other hand is manageable. Most spayed/neutered cats won't fight and bite to the depth that is needed to transmit FIV. I have 2 FIV + cats and 5 other cats. It has never been transmitted between them. A deep penetrating bite is the only way. Some vets still freak out about FIV. Yet many FIV cats live long healthy lives. It is a virus that messes with the immune system.

Do you have another room or your bedroom where you could keep her? She really will need a space of her own especially since you have other animals.

m935

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It is very hard to know how they will react when they come inside. Some adjust quickly and easily and others can take a long time. You just won't know until you try.

If the vet find she has FELV(feline leukemia) that is a hard one. My guess is that she is fine as living until 14 with FELV would not be common. FIV on the other hand is manageable. Most spayed/neutered cats won't fight and bite to the depth that is needed to transmit FIV. I have 2 FIV + cats and 5 other cats. It has never been transmitted between them. A deep penetrating bite is the only way. Some vets still freak out about FIV. Yet many FIV cats live long healthy lives. It is a virus that messes with the immune system.

Do you have another room or your bedroom where you could keep her? She really will need a space of her own especially since you have other animals.
Are there other diseases that could be transmitted between the two? I do have a room for her yes. But its about the fleas that I really need to for my sanity keep her out of for a few days - the reason for hte bathroom or balcony. It has wall to wall carpet and there is a bed in there that would just be a total nightmare for an infestation. thanks

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Since you are taking her to the vet you might see if you can stop by ahead of time and get some Revolution. It will kill the fleas within 24 hours. Works on ear mites and some intestinal parasites too.

There are other illnesses that can be spread, but most are controlled through vaccines. Be sure to get her vaccinated for FVRCP. Since she is older, I would not do the FELV vaccine.

m935

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I moved her fur in various areas as she ate. I saw no fleas. I know they have stages. Is it possible she doesn't have them? Now I'm so anxious to bring her in... I do worry something will happen before I can even get her. I'm taking small crate out in the am to feed her in it.

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I cared for many feral cats on my deck and yard for many years. They never had fleas. I live in Ohio and we do get fleas, but my area did not tend to have them.

I would just ask the vet for some flea meds that you can just squirt on her neck. Then you are covered just in case.

m935

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Does it make sense when i pkace litter box in crate since she doesn't know what it is to scoop a little urine from my indoor cat? Thanks

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Other urine might upset her. Most cats will use the litter box pretty easily. If she does have an accident then sop up her urine and bury it in the box.

m935

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Last one... Her tail sticks out from crate door. Since i have seconds... Do i push tail down and in as i close door or just push get butt and the tail will bend abd follow? She wouldn't have much space to turn. Which hopefully is a benefit i just know if i mess up... This might not happen.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
As I'm envisioning this, I think as soon as you touch her tail she'll move it,. If you reach in to push her rear-end, she could whip around and scramble/squirm out and possibly scratch you in the process, whether meaning to or not.

m935

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks!!! As hot as it is.. Ill be wearing gloves and long sleves. :)

m935

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I tested by touching her tail.. Which i often do actually as she eats...but she very quickly backed up. I guess instincts will kick in knowing i have to protect her tail..hopefully im quick enough.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Try not to be nervous. Just another day of feeding your friend. Confident as always. You’ll get her. Using the meds to kill fleas is best. Topicals and Capstar work pretty quickly but the topicals also protect from parasites of other types. If the meds you use don’t cover tapeworms, get a separate medicine for that too. They make it as a topical or pills. I don’t give that topical at the same time as a topical flea med but the vet can guide you on that.
I have an Felv positive cat and he accepted all other cats I brought in, no issues. I also have an FIV car. Ikeep the two apart mainly because if one should get sick, it could cause the other to get sick. I have a lot of cats here so it is a matter of giving the two shifts so each gets attention and they don’t share litter boxes, food or water dishes. Honestly, they want their own particular dishes anyway. Lol
I would not totally give up on the brother. While you may be right, cats have a way of turning up just when you least expect it! I had a cat turn up a year later as though nothing had changed. If someone else out there is feeding, kitty could be visiting them.

m935

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Try not to be nervous. Just another day of feeding your friend. Confident as always. You’ll get her. Using the meds to kill fleas is best. Topicals and Capstar work pretty quickly but the topicals also protect from parasites of other types. If the meds you use don’t cover tapeworms, get a separate medicine for that too. They make it as a topical or pills. I don’t give that topical at the same time as a topical flea med but the vet can guide you on that.
I have an Felv positive cat and he accepted all other cats I brought in, no issues. I also have an FIV car. Ikeep the two apart mainly because if one should get sick, it could cause the other to get sick. I have a lot of cats here so it is a matter of giving the two shifts so each gets attention and they don’t share litter boxes, food or water dishes. Honestly, they want their own particular dishes anyway. Lol
I would not totally give up on the brother. While you may be right, cats have a way of turning up just when you least expect it! I had a cat turn up a year later as though nothing had changed. If someone else out there is feeding, kitty could be visiting them.
Thank you for the encouragement!! :) that's great you've opened your home to so many cats. I wish i could.
im a nervous person as is... So... Unlike a trap.. Its all me. I know ill have other opportunities.. And I'll get a bigger crate from my shelter. I just want to get her asap. The last 3 cats including her brother disappeared on a Sunday. We have a lot of weekend /summer people. I don't know if someone has harmed them. Plus i feel so bad for her! She was the runt abd used to have 2 protective brothers. It's all very emotional as well.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You know, other people Rescue too. Maybe someone rescued them. You could check with local vets, animal shelters etc.. I am required to contact the one here and there is a holding time at animal control before the shelter takes them in for adoption. They do attempt to find owners first but if they are not chipped that can’t be done. Since I rescue a lot, they work with me to be foster and adopt if we don’t find the home they came from. I always post everywhere about them but finding the owner is hard if they aren’t looking. You just never know but more and more people are rescuing and those kitties may be getting a vet check or in a home being fed yummy stuff right now. ;) The first thing I do is notify vets and have the cat scanned for a chip. The next thing is to put up pictures and my number in the local post office, stores and outside my house as well as sending the info far and wide as I can. Still, one time it took me four months to find an owner who was searching. By then the kitty had been vetted, a small benign tumor removed and kitty was in A1 condition to go back to his family. More recently one of my rescues was let out by someone and it was four months before I found her. She is here with me now. The biggest thing is that they all have your love. They know. Now she will have you watching over her. I know it is emotional. Me too! You are not alone in any of this. Hang in there and we will all be hanging in there with you.:hugs: