Readers

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
I went to Readers.com to check out their reading glasses. Ordered 3 pairs. I have bifocal prescription glasses, but cant see with them. Nothing is clear and I'm constantly adjusting my head when I'm trying to read. Whenever I'm cooking from a recipe, I have to ask Rick about the measurements, just to make sure I'm correct. I can see fine to drive, but reading is becoming a serious issue. Whether I'm in bed, on the couch or in a chair, things are blurring.

I took their power test (it goes up to +3.25, but their glasses actually go to +7. I didn't want to go to CVS to try on readers, simply because.....well, ick.

Ordered 3 pairs of readers as I got all three pairs for $30 and free shipping. This is something I've been wanting to do for a while now and never seemed to do it.

Has anybody else tried readers instead of prescription glasses?

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
I buy my readers from the dollar store because I break or lose them on a regular basis. Once you know your correct strength, which I verify at my annual eye exam, you don’t need to try them on. So I have a maybe fifteen pair (depending on how many I sat on, stepped on, lost, left places that week) that end up scattered throughout the house.

lizzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have my bifocals that I use to read the fine print on things.Then I have a pair of cheaters that I got at WalMart and they stay in the kitchen....another pair of the same that stays in the bathroom and yet another pair I got at the vision center at WalMart that I use on the computer... they stay on my desk.Matter of fact,I'm wearing them now.Has to do with that blue light stuff.I laugh,but my sister told me after the cataract surgery I'd have multiple pairs,and she was right!

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I don't wear glasses but at my last eye exam several years ago the ophthalmologist told me I could use readers for small print - he said I only needed 1.00. I went out and got a few pairs - one when I had a doctor's appointment so stopped in the hospital gift shop cause they were having a sale. Another at a clothing store, also on sale and the last pair which I love called eyebobs was on sale too.

Last edited:

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have tried them and used them for a while after I had cataract surgery, but I can't see as well out of them as I can my presecriptions. I have progressive, I would not want to even try bifocals.

MonaLyssa33

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My right eye has a stronger prescription than my left eye, so I don't think readers would work for me. I like to get my prescription glasses from Zenni.com though. My current glasses are from the eye doctor, but I'm hoping to get my prescription from them so I can order additional styles online.