Reactions of the cats ear to the Methimazole

notasmith

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Our 11 year old cat has been treated with Metimazole gel for the past year.  This past week her one ear began to look scabby and inflamed.  At first we thought it was an abcess from a bite from another cat.  We began treating her with peroxide and cortazone cram.   Her  ear began  getting worse and 2 nights ago chunks of skin began flaking off.  Our Vet saw her the next day said it was from the Gel. She received antibiotics and wewere given a liquid cortazone solution. By the evening the second ear began showing the same crusty appearance.  We were told we could shave her underarm and apply it there.    But we are concerned with the same reaction quickly occurring there .   So does any body have experience with this?  Is it a reaction to the suspension compound, an allergic reaction blocked pores, etc.?   We will probably now consider radiation treatment for her.

miss mew

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm not familiar with this condition but wanted to bump this thread back up so other members could see it. 

stephenq

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I've heard that over time transdermal medications in the ear can cause damage. Is it impossible to pill your cat? Pill pocket option? Another therapy that helps cats with hyperthyroidism when medications and radiation aren't options is hills Y/D food that is especially for this condition. I know of a friends cat who is sucessfully being treated this way.

reikitty

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
That's the problem with Metimazole gel, cats can become intolerant of it. Is it possible for you to pill your cat for a couple months to give her a break from the gel and then switch back to the gel?

My one thyroid kitty took her pills pretty easily.

Also have you check into the radiation for your kitty? (http://www.radiocat.com/ just one site about it) It could get her off the medication for life!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

notasmith

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello All, unfortunately our cat had vasculitis.    Our cat had not scene such a severe case.  Her ears were encrusted with this thick growth and was quite painful.  It looked horrible.  We had to stop the methimazole entirely.  Which sent here hyper throidism out of control.  she began losing a lot of weight, and her her heart was racing all of the time.  Finally last night she was too miserable  and we could not let her suffer any longer and had her euthenized.   She was a loss to all of our family.

reikitty

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Awwww... I'm so sorry to hear about your little one.

I do had to put the thyroid kitty I had down (she was a foster) she was in such bad shape and couldn't put any weight on it was just cruel keeping her alive longer and more so since the meds were making her worse, not better. I understand totally.

*hugs*

KittyKittysMomma916

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Our 11 year old cat has been treated with Metimazole gel for the past year. This past week her one ear began to look scabby and inflamed. At first we thought it was an abcess from a bite from another cat. We began treating her with peroxide and cortazone cram. Her ear began getting worse and 2 nights ago chunks of skin began flaking off. Our Vet saw her the next day said it was from the Gel. She received antibiotics and wewere given a liquid cortazone solution. By the evening the second ear began showing the same crusty appearance. We were told we could shave her underarm and apply it there. But we are concerned with the same reaction quickly occurring there . So does any body have experience with this? Is it a reaction to the suspension compound, an allergic reaction blocked pores, etc.? We will probably now consider radiation treatment for her.
My cat Kitty Kitty ( 12 years old) was just prescribed Methimazole for her ears 2 times a day. I wasn't good about giving it to her at first. I looked up what hyperthyroidism causes in cats and saw that it shortens her life span, so I decided to start it again and stick with it. I gave it to her for 2 days and on the 3rd day her ears became bent over, scabby, and inflamed and they hurt her a lot too she screams if I touch them to look at them. I forgot that this was what happened the first times i tried to give it to her and why i stopped. I googled this issue and found your post. I was hoping this route would work because it's so hard getting her to take a pill in the past let alone one daily..

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Just out of curiosity, what dose of the transdermal form of Methimazole did your vet prescribe and are you getting it from a compound pharmacy? Our cat was on this form as well and I used it for nine months with absolutely no side effects or problems. Have you been alternating the ears and cleaning them at least once a day or every other day? It's important to keep the ears clean but wait up to approx. eight hours before cleaning them so that the medicine is properly absorbed. After nine months of the medicine we opted for the I-131 radioactive iodine treatment but not because our cat showed any side effects or issues with it.