RE: SEASONAL CHANGES IN FELINE APPETITE/EATING PATTERNS

Azazel

Time spent with cats is never wasted.
Top Cat
Purraise
I must have 3 little piggies cause they act like they’re starving all year round. :dunno:

LadyLondonderry

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Lately Sylvie has been squawking for food around 2 a.m. (yes, she's still getting her usual meals at the usual times)! I ignore it as long as I can, but she keeps making noise until I relent and get up and put a little food in her dish.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Lately Sylvie has been squawking for food around 2 a.m. (yes, she's still getting her usual meals at the usual times)! I ignore it as long as I can, but she keeps making noise until I relent and get up and put a little food in her dish.
:kneading:Not at all surprising or rare! And experts (and others) all have opinions on this, but my tried-and-true is having high-quality dry food available, along with fresh water, at all times. I also give out treats at bedtime, which everyone looks forward to. Works for us!

SpecterOhPossum

spec's pet human
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Mine has funks corresponding to schedule mostly, and being that we walk daily, frequent storms and rains seem to hinder her emotionally (more lethargic, less eating, a little moody.) However, our room is mostly always an ice box so the temp never seems to bother, it's just when the sun comes slowly or faster is when bumps arrive in the road

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mine has funks corresponding to schedule mostly, and being that we walk daily, frequent storms and rains seem to hinder her emotionally (more lethargic, less eating, a little moody.) However, our room is mostly always an ice box so the temp never seems to bother, it's just when the sun comes slowly or faster is when bumps arrive in the road
That's unusual! In my lifelong experience, all cats seem to eat more when it's cold, just like almost all humans do. People in cold climates tend to be a lot bigger than those of us in hot climates, too.

SpecterOhPossum

spec's pet human
Alpha Cat
Purraise
That's unusual! In my lifelong experience, all cats seem to eat more when it's cold, just like almost all humans do. People in cold climates tend to be a lot bigger than those of us in hot climates, too.
Hm.. I can't really tell! She went through a puking episode after drinking too much broth too quickly and ever since she's been wolfing her food, so maybe? Her climate is always very cold though; so I'm unsure... Also, we had a food change. However in the past she's only ever slowed down when the temps changed back when I didn't have an AC; but she also doesn't seem to have any coat changes either with temps. Not even a winter coat, so..Maybe she's an oddball!

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hm.. I can't really tell! She went through a puking episode after drinking too much broth too quickly and ever since she's been wolfing her food, so maybe? Her climate is always very cold though; so I'm unsure... Also, we had a food change. However in the past she's only ever slowed down when the temps changed back when I didn't have an AC; but she also doesn't seem to have any coat changes either with temps. Not even a winter coat, so..Maybe she's an oddball!
Some cats' coats don't visibly change much throughout the year, especially shorthaired cats, in my experience, except that they do shed more at the start of warm weather (but they don't look different). And it's fairly common for cats to puke it they eat/drink too much too fast. My Elvis sometimes snorks his food and then has the immediate "urge to regurge" :sickcat:He's a big, brash lummox cat, so he will do what he will do. ;)

SpecterOhPossum

spec's pet human
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Some cats' coats don't visibly change much throughout the year, especially shorthaired cats, in my experience, except that they do shed more at the start of warm weather (but they don't look different). And it's fairly common for cats to puke it they eat/drink too much too fast. My Elvis sometimes snorks his food and then has the immediate "urge to regurge" :sickcat:He's a big, brash lummox cat, so he will do what he will do. ;)
Sadly the issue is that she stays long haired(medium..? idk) through the summer and winter which causes over heating in summer as she's SO thickly furred, I'm not too sure, she's started shedding more a few days ago but winter is coming so...Not sure why her hair growth is out to get her!
Can I ask what a lummox cat is? Is it a breed? Tried googling but came up with just one cat

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sadly the issue is that she stays long haired(medium..? idk) through the summer and winter which causes over heating in summer as she's SO thickly furred, I'm not too sure, she's started shedding more a few days ago but winter is coming so...Not sure why her hair growth is out to get her!
Can I ask what a lummox cat is? Is it a breed? Tried googling but came up with just one cat
*ROFLMOTO*!!! Googling turned up quite a few very funny links. A lummox is someone who's kind of derpy and clumsy and silly. Like Elvis :cutecat:
Some people get their cats "lion cuts" from groomers for the hot weather season. Personally, I'm not a fan of this as I believe cats were created perfect just as they are. Brushing helps a lot. I brush my cats daily, and sometimes more often, because they love being brushed. My cats currently are three shorthaired cats and they shed some year round, but more in the hot weather. We're in L.A., so "hot" is just about all the time now :rolleyes: I like the Furminator for longhaired cats. It really helps removing loose fur and undercoat and keeps cats comfortable in warm weather. My cats like lying on tiles and laminate and sometimes being in sinks and tubs when it's hot.
IMG_1486.JPG
THIS is a LUMMOX CAT. *Elvis*:cutecat::crackup: