Re: Sassy - 19yr old (close to 20) - Not eating / Very Lethargic + losing balance

Status
Not open for further replies.
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

miguel99nyc

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
That is so thankful that there is no actual mass, and it may just be due to head positioning.

Maybe the infection was caused by 'gastroenteritis'...as mentioned on page 2 of the above report...and somehow that is what caused the initial fever, and Sassy to stop eating.

Although, like you, I also wonder how the 'spinal issues' could align with this,...or is it more that the two issues are separate, but somehow occurred at the same time. Strange, but possible, maybe.

Could you ask your Vet, however, if you could somehow give Sassy the lowest possible dosage of the buprenex liquid, but that would still take care of her pain...from spinal spondylosis?

I am not sure why your Vet only thinks that it would cause sleepiness, since buprenex, is a strong opioid...and it does cause restlessness, and high alertness in cats. It totally gets them high.
Buprenorphine For Cats: What It Does, Dosage & Side Effects - All About Cats
If you could find the right dosage, that would take away her pain, but also allow her to sleep, and rest, then that would be best.

I would also ask your Vet if other pain medications are available to try, for her spine issues,...and even if something like glucosamine would help with Sassy.?
Right, if her ataxia or walking issues seem to be because of these spine issues, well as the vet agreed this morning that there is no cure for it obviously, plus with her age nearing 20 next month I'm sure it was bound to occur for such an old kitty. But my concern was since there is no real cure other than treatments to help her comfort her, I figured it would be long term/permanent. I too did read Burpenex is a strong medication that does cause restleness and high alertness. Even their dyes would be dilated I read, which was also true of Sassy as I noticed that with her eyes the entire evening/night she was awake. I would want to give her long term relief but at safest minimal dose possible, but as well as specific medication that wouldn't affect her much in terms side affects such as being awake for a lot. Sure it might make her look rather healthy and like a young kitten again but that isn't the goal - just to relieve of her pain. From this xray report, it seems like she's in pain.

As for the coincidence of possible infection + spinal issues, she's had this wierd balance issue for months. Just wasn't as prominent. Only occasionally. But with her stopping to eat I guess from the infection/illness/fever, she got much weaker (lost weight) so made her balance even worse. I noticed in the days prior to she getting sick, she'd get off my bed through these steps I made for her out of storage boxes. I noticed she'd go down losing her balance a bit more, her front legs would cross over each other at times. It got me nervous as I thought she'd just collapse or fall going down, but she didn't. Then fast forward to when she got sick, she hobbled more and more, walked very slow and I remember her just taking long bouts of sitting in different places, she just walk few steps, then sit and remain there. Until ultimately she made it to my boxes and went on my bed. Then that's when she remained there entire day not wanting to move or eat (fever).

So it is rather tricky, and really unfortunate that infection and spinal issue came about together, if it was all that. I just wonder if I need to proceed with ultrasound. If she had some issue in there, she wouldn't have eaten normally over the weekend without use of any meds or appetite stimulant. That's what I think. I should be going home in about 2 hours and see if Sassy will wake up hungry and hoping she will eat.

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
...As for the coincidence of possible infection + spinal issues, she's had this wierd balance issue for months. Just wasn't as prominent. Only occasionally. But with her stopping to eat I guess from the infection/illness/fever, she got much weaker (lost weight) so made her balance even worse. I noticed in the days prior to she getting sick, she'd get off my bed through these steps I made for her out of storage boxes. I noticed she'd go down losing her balance a bit more, her front legs would cross over each other at times. It got me nervous as I thought she'd just collapse or fall going down, but she didn't. Then fast forward to when she got sick, she hobbled more and more, walked very slow and I remember her just taking long bouts of sitting in different places, she just walk few steps, then sit and remain there. Until ultimately she made it to my boxes and went on my bed. Then that's when she remained there entire day not wanting to move or eat (fever).
I wonder if her spinal issues were advancing,...causing her more pain, and that at times 'the weird balance issues' you observed were the times when the 'bone spurs'...would impinge on her spine, slightly, and then cause her more balance and pain issues.

I don't know how that would explain the fever, though.
That's why I think it may have been a separate issue/infection.

Did you notice at all, if her poop habits changed,...during these times? the times where she would lose balance?
As in, did Sassy have more constipation, during the times when she had the weird balance or walking issues?

Wondering if her back pain, had any affect on her intestines, in any way.?
If nerve pain, from the spine, can also affect the small intestines, or colon. (Not really sure, how the nerves go through there.)

The report did mention "the appearance of the small intestines and 'functional ileus'"...so that is why I was thinking that the back spinal pain...may have also been causing some pain, or slowing down in her intestines, too.
I don't think this would cause fever, but it could cause a cat constipation, and not wanting to eat.
So it is rather tricky, and really unfortunate that infection and spinal issue came about together, if it was all that. I just wonder if I need to proceed with ultrasound. If she had some issue in there, she wouldn't have eaten normally over the weekend without use of any meds or appetite stimulant. That's what I think. I should be going home in about 2 hours and see if Sassy will wake up hungry and hoping she will eat.
Hoping that your Sassy will eat, too. :crossfingers: 🙏 :vibes::vibes::tabbycat:

Yes, I agree with you, I also don't think that Sassy would have eaten normally over the weekend...if she had intestinal issues to prevent her from eating.

I am not sure about ultrasound, unless your Sassy stops eating again.
And I would ask the Vet, if by doing an ultrasound, would the 'treatment' that s/he prescribes...change in any way?
Meaning, would different medications be prescribed that would help Sassy, if an ultrasound was done?
Can steroids be given, if Sassy has a heart murmur, or does a proBNP blood test have to first be done?

Right now, you do have the appetite stimulant, for when needed,...and also the pain meds...for when needed.
Sounds like Sassy will need the pain meds, for sure, due to her spinal issues, balance issues, and hopefully, that will get her to feel better and eat.

Last edited:

miguel99nyc

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
So I've actually jumped the gun a bit, but as feared, she did not really want to eat as I just got home from work.

The last decent amount she ate was at 4:30am. Then tried licking her food around 7am today but barely licked, and just went back to bed. Usually she's dying to eat when I return from work around 3 or 4pm. Of course it has been over a week since I last saw her wait for me at the door sadly. But that aside, I came home to see her still sleeping in her bed. She sensed my presence I guess and she woke up. She got off bed and went to her spot where she'd eat always - by my desk. So I open new can and she some food, not a whole lot. Again just several licks of the gravy but thats all. So I got concerned again and shortly after rubbed on a dose of Mirataz into her right ear.

She did however go to her water bowl 3 times to drink within 30 minutes she had been awake. She did urinate and pass stool into liter box shortly after drinking water as well. Then she actually for once, walked around albeit be very slowly, into the living room and kitchen, as she would at times in the past. She didn't really lose her balance but she did walk very slowly. Eventually within 30 minutes she drank water one final time and went to her bed to now asleep.

Vet had emailed me short while ago and said: "...the only thing off is arthritis of the back, they recommend an ultrasound. The Wobbliness can be due to different things, neurological, weakness, arthritis. I didn’t check her b12 levels, might be worth continuing b12 injections at home if you’re comfortable giving a subq injection biweekly at home. You can also call the office and have her b12 levels checked. B12 deficiency can cause similar signs to her presentation, would be worth checking her b12 levels". Do you think B12 deficiency would cause her to not eat? I read online its a digestive absorption issue if shes low.

So to that point, I'm hoping this Mirataz will help her. But overall her appetite shouldn't have diminished. She has no pain/issue drinking water from her bowl which is much lower than her food bowl. If i go the Ultrasound route, apparently next slow is June 9th or I'd have to spend more money and take her to a hospital than can do it sooner. It was just a very scary feeling I had when i got home from work and see sassy not eating so much compared to even yesterday. One thing i noticed this morning and a little while ago, I would see go into her food and be smelling it first? But in that process, her nose seems rather stuffy or filled? I could actually hear her sniffing from nose for that brief moment she smells her food and wonder if she can't smell. She had been doing rather light sneezes past 2 days but just maybe once or twice each day.

Just overall concerns me why she didn't feel like eating much again today. Maybe it is IBD or some digestive issue. But still she hasn't been vomitting, and there was only very loose stool back on Saturday morning and Sunday morning (thinking her digestive system getting used to eating again after days of not eating or a result still of the Convenia shot) . Yesterday and today had been rather solid stools.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
If she's been sneezing, it's possible she IS slightly congested and can't smell her food, so try warming it slightly to help with the smell. You can use warm water to warm it up, or just set it in warm water, or put in the microwave on defrost for just a few seconds and then really stir it up so there are no hot spots in it. (most people advise against this as they say it changes the food somehow - personally, I add warm water to the food) Also, naturally, fish flavors tend to smell more, although they also tend to cause more tummy upset.

Hoping the Mirataz does the trick AND that your Vet can find something that works well for her pain.

WMM201

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My cat has sort of been going through a similar thing as Sassy. She had surgery and a shot of Convenia. She also was prescribed buprenorphine. Her movement was really wobbly, but she was restless and upset, like she was on a bad trip, so I had to stop giving her that. She got some ultrasound and x-ray, and she has arthritis in her discs and hips. All of these things together meant that I have been giving her 25 mg of gabapentin for arthritis pain twice a day, which seems to be a dose that helps her be comfortable without that wobbliness. She had kidney disease so it takes her longer to clear medications from her system. She still is weak in her back legs and I might bring her to a neurologist about that, but she's been through a lot lately and I think the stress of so many vet visits is also affecting her mood and appetite. This past weekend she was extremely congested: I could hear her "snoring" from 6 feet away. I set up a humidifier for her, I put her in a steamy bathroom for about 15 minutes and it sort of helped. But I believe what was the most useful was giving her saline nose drops. I got the Little Noses (Little Remedies) drops for babies, and squeezed drops on both ends of a q tip, and used the q tip to squeeze a few drops into each nostril. After that, I put her in the steamy bathroom and kept the humidifier on for her in her room overnight. Her appetite has picked up and her breathing isn't congested anymore. On top of that, she got B12 shot at the vet today and ate well when she came home. I also give her one capsule of B12 supplement orally each day. Here is some info about supplementing at home, but please ask your vet about it first: Tanya's Comprehensive Guide to Feline Chronic Kidney Disease - B Vitamins, Including Vitamin B12 (Methylcobalamin)

I hope this helps. You are taking really great care of Sassy and I know it can be so difficult and exhausting!

miguel99nyc

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
If she's been sneezing, it's possible she IS slightly congested and can't smell her food, so try warming it slightly to help with the smell. You can use warm water to warm it up, or just set it in warm water, or put in the microwave on defrost for just a few seconds and then really stir it up so there are no hot spots in it. (most people advise against this as they say it changes the food somehow - personally, I add warm water to the food) Also, naturally, fish flavors tend to smell more, although they also tend to cause more tummy upset.

Hoping the Mirataz does the trick AND that your Vet can find something that works well for her pain.
Yes. Well its not a complete sneeze. Like, just now she was cleaning her face after having some food. She would do like a partial sneeze/exhale thru her nose and your here that whistling/swooshing sound. Sort of how we sound when our noses are stuffy but her sounds a little wet too. Update - 9:25pm EDT. She's actually sneezing a bit more now....light sneezes but her nose inside sounds bit wet. I wonder if she's getting some respiratory infection?

I gave her the Mirataz gel into her ear around 4:15pm today, and I guess it worked much faster than when i attempted last week, but then again I put less last time. And she has now came to me to finally eat 3 times within the past 2 hours. Not so Ravenous like she would with an actual mirtazapine pill like ive done in the past, she isn't agressive nor vocal with this gel. But she ate her normal amount now. Again not sure if the Mirataz works that quickly, but at least now shes sleeping in her bed.

I actually got a video of her earlier, she was licking as she sat her right hind leg, but she lost her balance and just fell onto her bed, but at least it was in a laying down position. I could try to upload it to YouTube? Or I could put a WeTransfer link maybe to download?

Last edited:

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
Vet had emailed me short while ago and said: "...the only thing off is arthritis of the back, they recommend an ultrasound. The Wobbliness can be due to different things, neurological, weakness, arthritis. I didn’t check her b12 levels, might be worth continuing b12 injections at home if you’re comfortable giving a subq injection biweekly at home. You can also call the office and have her b12 levels checked. B12 deficiency can cause similar signs to her presentation, would be worth checking her b12 levels". Do you think B12 deficiency would cause her to not eat? I read online its a digestive absorption issue if shes low.
Yes, I definitely think you should get the b12 injections, and do them at home biweekly, as your Vet recommends.

What I have read, does mention that B12 deficiency can cause inappetence and muscle weakness, too.
How to Boost Vitamin B12 Intake for Cats

This blog's article has very good info about B12.( Not sure about their products, since I've never used them, but the article is good.)
Vitamin B12 Deficiency in Cats: What It Is and Why it Happens
Yes. Well its not a complete sneeze. Like, just now she was cleaning her face after having some food. She would do like a partial sneeze/exhale thru her nose and your here that whistling/swooshing sound. Sort of how we sound when our noses are stuffy but her sounds a little wet too. Update - 9:25pm EDT. She's actually sneezing a bit more now....light sneezes but her nose inside sounds bit wet. I wonder if she's getting some respiratory infection?

I gave her the Mirataz gel into her ear around 4:15pm today,
and I guess it worked much faster than when i attempted last week, but then again I put less last time. And she has now came to me to finally eat 3 times within the past 2 hours. Not so Ravenous like she would with an actual mirtazapine pill like ive done in the past, she isn't agressive nor vocal with this gel. But she ate her normal amount now. Again not sure if the Mirataz works that quickly, but at least now shes sleeping in her bed.

I actually got a video of her earlier, she was licking as she sat her right hind leg, but she lost her balance and just fell onto her bed, but at least it was in a laying down position. I could try to upload it to YouTube? Or I could put a WeTransfer link maybe to download?
So good that your Sassy ate.:yess:. and that she also is able to rest, and sleep in her bed.
---------------------------------------------------------
I do know you can upload to Youtube, and other sites like giphy, google+, imgur, and a whole lot more...but I've not heard of 'Wetransfer'.

If you 'hit' the 'three dots' pull down menu...right beside the 'smiley face'...in the above ribbon, of the editor,...
It will show you a 'drop down menu'...and then 'hit' the first icon...which is the 'media' one.

From this list, you will see all the various media sites that you can use, to Embed your video.
I think you just copy and paste your URL...and the system should do the rest.
(you can also hit "Preview" at the bottom right of 'editor'...to see how your post will look...with the video attached.)

Or if it is easier, then I guess a link would be okay, too.
---------------------------------
Getting back to your Sassy, I would also try what W WMM201 recommended with trying to bring Sassy into a 'steamed bathroom'...and see if her nasal congestion loosens up.
Also, asking your Vet about the other things that WMM201 mentioned in their post.
Extremely helpful, to try.
Perhaps there is even some sort of 'cat antihistamine' or 'cat decongestant'...like those nasal saline drops, that your Vet would okay, to use.

Plus, what mrsgreenjeens mrsgreenjeens mentioned about 'warming up the food' to entice Sassy to eat more, would definitely help, if she can Smell her food.

I hope this is just a temporary nasal congestion, and perhaps more 'allergy related'...or some such issue, rather than an URI.
Sending Mega Health Vibes for your Sassy. :vibes::vibes::caticon:

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
Just another video from 'Fundamentally Feline', on how to give a B12 injection.
There are other youtube videos, as well, I just find hers are very informative.

miguel99nyc

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
One thing though that I did read up and wondered about. It's not that I don't want Sassy to get an ultrasound, I know it may shed some further light but, this B12 got me wondering.

My vet suggested either get her B12 checked to see if its low since it would cause her to be lethargic, weak, lose appetite, etc. But, if she is low on B12, that isn't because of some random occurrence or idiopathic, right? From what I've read, it would be from some kind of malabsorption going on therefore I would think at that time perhaps an ultrasound would be appropriate to find out what would be causing it? So should my approach be, get her B12 first checked and find out if its even low? If it isn't low...well I guess then her weakness/hobbling is from her arthritis or as vet said something neurologic? But at the same time, he didn't think initially it was something neurologic he told me in person when I brought Sassy in for the 1 day stay to his clinic. At the same time, if it was something neurologic, she wouldn't appear more agile and stronger overall from the IV/Pain Shot alone right?

Then if her B12 is low, then for sure that can be causing all of these issues currently ongoing - then I could consider the ultrasound since she would be bound to stop eating again without the appetite stimulant.

The sneezing did not get worse, but I did notice her nose is a darker color and dry than the really bright pink used to be - while it would normally be cold and wet usually on touch. She did sneeze few times over night. Vet emailed me last night, saying it could be allergies or some kind of infection or growth in her nose (they just loooove saying its some growth somewhere...smh), but he mentioned since she been on that Convenia shot since last Tuesday, its unlikely to get a URI or be another infection for her sneezing? Last I read Convenia is just some skin or soft tissue infections...so I'm not really sure how that shot can hold off any infection in general?

This is just the most complex situation I've seen her. To be diagnosed with early kidney disease since 2016, her kidney overall values haven't really gone up significantly in 6 years, gives me more reason to fight for her. But just kills me to see her weak and barely eating and such. Let alone, how literally the day before she had the fever, she seemed like her good old self without a hint of any illness, other than her off balance at times.

Last edited:

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
One thing though that I did read up and wondered about. It's not that I don't want Sassy to get an ultrasound, I know it may shed some further light but, this B12 got me wondering.

My vet suggested either get her B12 checked to see if its low since it would cause her to be lethargic, weak, lose appetite, etc. But, if she is low on B12, that isn't because of some random occurrence or idiopathic, right? From what I've read, it would be from some kind of malabsorption going on therefore I would think at that time perhaps an ultrasound would be appropriate to find out what would be causing it? So should my approach be, get her B12 first checked and find out if its even low? If it isn't low...well I guess then her weakness/hobbling is from her arthritis or as vet said something neurologic? But at the same time, he didn't think initially it was something neurologic he told me in person when I brought Sassy in for the 1 day stay to his clinic. At the same time, if it was something neurologic, she wouldn't appear more agile and stronger overall from the IV/Pain Shot alone right?

Then if her B12 is low, then for sure that can be causing all of these issues currently ongoing - then I could consider the ultrasound since she would be bound to stop eating again without the appetite stimulant.
It totally makes sense how you are thinking about this, and doing the logical steps first.

If, like you are thinking, repeating the blood work,...to find out if Sassy's B12 is low,.... plus if you can add on some other tests, such as the low magnesium, those high neutrophils getting checked again, diabetes, or any other tests that would indicate 'inflammation' still in Sassy's body, and her electrolytes being off,...then it may help you and your Vet,...to know what is going on.
(I think I would go this route, too, since it's the simplest being a blood test.)

I would also ask your Vet about the gabapentin, that WMM201 mentioned, in comparison to the pain meds you now have, and which one would be more beneficial, with Sassy's spinal problems.

I wouldn't think that low B12 would be from some random occurrence, but when you say idiopathic, that only means that they don't really know what causes it in the first place. Why it's not being fully absorbed from the foods eaten, or why it gets depleted so fast.
There seemed to be so many different reasons for it getting depleted, but it didn't really seem like a straight 'there it is' answer.

I've also read that low B12 can be caused by excessive urination, and with ckd cats, they may lose it quite easily.

Something that FeebysOwner FeebysOwner mentioned earlier in this thread, also had me thinking about 'inflammation'...and if any types of 'inflammatory processes' in the cat's body could elevate their temperature,...from immune responses...and then also lead to deficiencies in certain minerals.
The only reason I mention this...is if you can alleviate Sassy's pain symptoms...then perhaps this would also lessen any 'inflammatory responses' within her body.
(if that makes sense.)
The sneezing did not get worse, but I did notice her nose is a darker color and dry than the really bright pink used to be - while it would normally be cold and wet usually on touch. She did sneeze few times over night. Vet emailed me last night, saying it could be allergies or some kind of infection or growth in her nose (they just loooove saying its some growth somewhere...smh), but he mentioned since she been on that Convenia shot since last Tuesday, its unlikely to get a URI or be another infection for her sneezing? Last I read Convenia is just some skin or soft tissue infections...so I'm not really sure how that shot can hold off any infection in general?
You made me lol...when you mentioned how vets, "...just loooove saying its some growth somewhere...smh".
It's so, so true. :spew:Whenever you talk with them, and they have to run the diagnostics, and full work-ups...those are the words you usually hear. Some growth somewhere. lol.
God, sometimes you have to laugh, or else we'd be crying alot. smh.
This is just the most complex situation I've seen her. To be diagnosed with early kidney disease since 2016, her kidney overall values haven't really gone up significantly in 6 years, gives me more reason to fight for her. But just kills me to see her weak and barely eating and such. Let alone, how literally the day before she had the fever, she seemed like her good old self without a hint of any illness, other than her off balance at times.
Yeah, hang in there.
You are doing great. Even more than great, since what you've done for your Sassy is awesome. To have her in such good numbers from 2016,...either means Sassy has good genetics, or that you have taken really good care of her....or both.

Having a sick cat is never easy.
And yes, it is so strange how literally she can be all fine, one day, and then the next an illness takes hold.
Usually with our cats, though, it often goes like this.
One day they are fine, and then the next,..they are lethargic, stop eating, or feel under the weather.
It always seems so sudden.

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi miguel99nyc miguel99nyc ...were you able to get those B12 injections for your Sassy?
From what I have read, there does not seem to be a downside to giving the injections, even if you are waiting for blood results to come back.

How is your Sassy doing today?
Hoping that Sassy is still eating, and improving every day. :vibes::vibes::tabbycat: :hugs::grouphug: :crossfingers: :bluepaw::greenpaw: 🙏

miguel99nyc

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hello!

An update to Sassy.

So pretty much since applying the mirataz gel - full dose strip to her ear Tuesday afternoon, she has been eating quite a bit more than her usual since. I don't know if the gel lasts that long? It was Tuesday and now its Friday evening and she is still eating very well. Maybe it does last a while but she definitely does not look sick. She's walking a bit more around apartment especially past 2 days. Sitting outside like she used to for a bit. Doing her litter business just fine too. No diarrhea.

However her sneezing and nose sounding very stuffy is still ongoing since Monday/Tuesday. It hasn't improved for sure. It still sounds like shes very stuffy or something. But its not a constant stuffy nose sound she makes, only when she's making a stronger inhale/exhale? She isn't also breathing thru her mouth like I'd read up online, nor no blood yet coming from nose, though I don't see any pus or drainage either. Seems as she cleaner her face, her paw would rub the nose side area and then at times would sneeze. I'm awaiting for vet to see what he thinks. Initially days ago he thought again - some time of cancer/growth or allergies or inflammation. He denied infection because he thinks Convenia lasting 2 weeks in her body should have prevented that? I asked that here if Convenia really is for that kind of infection? Because online just shows for like skin issues like abscesses and such. Which would then make sense for some kind of URI despite her having Convenia in her.

I still plan on taking her sometime next week for a B12 check just incase. But so far shes eating fine and definitely appears less lethargic and also slightly less of a hobble to her walk. While its all positive outlooks, I have to wait and see if she really will be eating on her own whenever that Mirataz gel from Tuesday wears off. but for now she still getting up every 2 hours and eating her smaller meals which is important.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I can't answer anything about the Convenia for a respiratory infection, if that is what Sassy has. Covenia has many purposes besides the traditional ones that are listed. All you can do is go through the timeline of the med and tell your vet if it hasn't cleared up her issue.

The Mirataz works well - at least initially - when given every 3 days. But, for some cats, giving it once might trigger an eating response that could last for a while. If that changes, give her another dose.

miguel99nyc

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi Everyone!

Been a while since my last update on here in June. All in all, Sassy is doing just great, back to as she was physically before she had some kind of illness. She isn't sneezing or stuffy nose and such and her appetite seems to be good. However, I seem to have hit rather a disrupting road block sort of speak in feeding Sassy...

And I really need as much advice/help I can get here. I've contacted Purina about this and Chewy - essentially got no help other than they'd contact quality team to see what went wrong I guess...but in a nutshell, ever since early July, I've been trying to replenish on these two Friskies Prime Filets canned food that Sassy really enjoys - Salmon and Beef flavor and the Prime Filets Tasty Treasures Ocean Fish White Tuna and Scallop Flavor. Each case that I got, food came sooooo watery, not even gravy at that point. Literally looked like soup with hardly any meats chunks in it. So I got it refunded through Chewy, order new case after case after case for the past 6 weeks now, all come with the same liquid/watery consistency. The sauce itself is nowhere near as thick used to be. It just this loose/watery sauce that just resembles water. So liquidy. My cat would barely lick the food and walk away.

I have thankfully just 5 more cans of her favorite flavor - Salmon and Beef Prime Filets, but its only going to last her 5 more days. At first I thought it was her being picky, but when I open that same flavor can but of a much older batch than the one i bought in July, she just eats it normally, no hesitation.

I'm sure I am not the only one going through this situation. Does anyone have any info/experience with this watered down canned food Prime filets especially recently in past weeks? I feel so bad for my cat because those are really only foods she'd eat. Im at the point where Im just gonna have to force her and cheat her to eat those bad batches(?) of canned food by applying Mirataz to her ear. I really doubt she's sick because shes acting just normally and eating her dry food normally too. I'm just stressed out at this point not know when or if the Prime Filets will go back to how it used to be prior to July! And purina has no timetable too. They suggested to try new brands of food but know Sassy? She will refuse them all because she is a VERY pick eater, especially now at age of 20.

Any thoughts/help on this would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You

Tigger's Mum

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm in the UK so we get different brands of cat food but I know where you're coming from. We used to buy one of the supermarket's own brands which was really good - then they changed the recipe. It was runny, didn't smell nice and the "meat" looked like reconstituted mush. I have 8 cats plus one long term foster so costs a lot to feed them all.

My cats get dry food in the afternoon and wet food for their main meal at night. Tried several different brands of dry food as one of my cats has a food allergy.

They now get Royal Canin Indoor Cat dry in the afternoon and Whiskas canned for their main meal. The cat with the allergy is back to normal and his fur is looking good - nice and shiny. Royal Canin is expensive but worth it. I know you can get it in wet pouches so maybe worth you trying Sassy with that. They do many different types for different cats, including breed specific and they do a Senior one. Most of the big retailers stock it so I would think Chewy would have it (we don't have Chewy here) or Pet Smart (Pets at Home in the UK).

It is so annoying when manufacturers change the recipe. I must admit I'm not a lover of anything produced by Purina. My opinion of it is overpriced rubbish.

I hope you can find something that Sassy likes. So difficult when you've got a fussy Senior.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I have noticed this with not only cat food, but with some canned tuna products for humans. I know that this is a solution that is spending more of your money, but would using two cans and draining off some of the liquid help? Or it is beyond all hope. A few months a good friend did what you are doing concerning Fancy Feast Grilled food; I don't know that anything was resolved though.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Is Purina saying the cases you have gotten are a fluke? Odds are they just changed the product and you won't find it again the way it was. I looked up the ingredients in the two you say Sassy likes, and I don't see anything about them that would make them any better than any other brand with the same proteins.

If you have some local pet stores, I would go to them and ask for other brands that are similar and just buy a few cans to try.

The other thing you might try is searching the chart for cat foods (Wet Cat Food Ingredient Chart - Google Sheets) and sort for those that contain beef and salmon, and again for the fish flavors you are looking for, just to see what comes up - you could look for those brands when you search the local stores.

miguel99nyc

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have noticed this with not only cat food, but with some canned tuna products for humans. I know that this is a solution that is spending more of your money, but would using two cans and draining off some of the liquid help? Or it is beyond all hope. A few months a good friend did what you are doing concerning Fancy Feast Grilled food; I don't know that anything was resolved though.
Well, I did hear some say they do combine two cans to make up for the meats? And I suppose I could drain a bit the sauce/water like gravy? But even the smell is different, which Im sure is something cats do first before eating. I know my cat snifs the food at first. I remember when opened the first can of that new Prime Filets I got last month, she didn't like dive into it right away as her older cans (same flavor) she sniffed, began to lick it from time to time and since i usually put dry food on the side, she ate mostly her dry food. Purina said they haven't changed their formulas so it shouldn't have been any different at all.

I even JUST ordered yesterday from now AMAZON, a case of 24 cans Salmon & Beef Prime Filets, although I thought I had some hopes as the expiry date was different (August 2024 as opposed to all bad cans having July 2024), I opened one can to test and nothing changed, still the soupy mess. She does like a bit this Fancy Feast Ocean Fish Pate? But i know its really high on phosphorus and as mentioned some time ago, she has Kidney Disease though nothing has further advances since 5 years ago...blooodwork wise. Plus she's 20 yrs old, there's just no way I could re-train her to like new food.

Even the Salmon Pate from Friskies she used to love. It would have a pink color consistency appearance. I just ordered a new case of that and the Pate was all brown, like as if it was Mixed Grill or some other Pate. Doesn't even smell like old Salmon Pate cans either. She wasn't crazy of that new case too. It really sucks and I'm stressed out completely as I'm not sure what else to feed her other than to force it with Mirataz...which just isn't right either.

miguel99nyc

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I guess worse case scenario since I just got an Amazon case a little while ago, different expiration date (later date) of the Friskies Prime Filets Salmon and Beef, I got excited for a moment thinking maybe the July 2024 expiry date cases were bad ones, I open this new case from aamzon with different expiry date and my goodness, all soupy :( Its ridiculous.

If I had to, would it be wrong to give Sassy Mirataz and just at that point force her to eat the food I got for time being until hopefully Purina resolves and goes back to how it was if they ever do? I hate doing that to Sassy because she isn't sick for sure and just feels like at this point not just cheating her but forcing her to eat something she don't like. But at the same time, I Know it will be near impossible to make her try any other flavor foods - especially given her age now and how old she is. Mirataz gel seems to last about 5 days or so in her, then wears off I think so I could apply it once a week. but not sure if that's really best approach. Doesn't help she is also very picky. In recent years, Ive tried Sheeba, other Friskie flavors, Wellness, Fancy Feast Grilled, and she might nibble at it but mostly just walk away before really eating any of it. And this was few years ago. Now I can imagine is much worse, especially if shes just walking away from these new batches of cases of Friskies Ive been getting.

Heck even another go to flavor canned - Salmon Pate from Friskies. That used to be a pink colored Pate. Last case I got 2 weeks ago - its all brown as if its like another flavor or meat some kind. And it certainly doesnt have the same smell as the old Salmon pate cans either.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
If I had to, would it be wrong to give Sassy Mirataz and just at that point force her to eat the food I got for time being until hopefully Purina resolves and goes back to how it was if they ever do?
I don't know about Sassy, but with Feeby if she doesn't like a food Mirataz doesn't seem to be a whole lot of help.

Since Friskies isn't as expensive as some of the others, maybe your best bet is to do as was advised above and combine the meat from two cans together. You could also try buying some gravies to add to add to the cans, or some mousse foods? If the texture of the gravy is what she is missing, you could try to add some unflavored gelatin to the food to help thicken the 'soup'?

If there are still some dry foods she likes, you could crumble them up and mix them with the Friskies. Or, you could add some water to the dry and see if she will eat them that way.

Status
Not open for further replies.