RE: JUST TAKEN OFF NEWS FOR SURFSIDE, FLORIDA

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
#FriendsofMiamiAnimals 1.833.366.2642 to register lost companion animals in peril; 1 wk free boarding w/proof of residency 1.786.401.7748 (I did not get the name of the entity offering this and it said for "dogs" though I hope it is for more than just that.) Just taken off news for #Miami #FL PLEASE SHARE WIDELY. There are reports that they might demo the building as early as tomorrow so SOS - TIME IS OF THE ESSENCE.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Whenallhellbreakslose

Living in Kitty Paradise.
Top Cat
Purraise
I signed the petition (the tally is going up fast, a lot of people signing it), but this is a very grim situation. I hope they change their mind and try to save those animals. They want to get this done before Hurricane Elsa makes landfall and ends up knocking the building down and cause the debris to fly everywhere. Saying lots of prayers!!! 🙏🙏🙏

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I signed the petition (the tally is going up fast, a lot of people signing it), but this is a very grim situation. I hope they change their mind and try to save those animals. They want to get this done before Hurricane Elsa makes landfall and ends up knocking the building down and cause the debris to fly everywhere. Saying lots of prayers!!! 🙏🙏🙏
At this time Elsa is not projected to be make landfall anywhere near Miami. When it does get to Florida it is projected to be a tropical storm. Let's hope it stays that way.

1625370655554.png

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The authorities tend to lie about people being able to come back to get their pets. Not just in the US, did it in Japan too. No one should ever believe that. Of course, then the authorities wonder why no one believes what they say. Once you leave your pet, s/he is dead.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The authorities tend to lie about people being able to come back to get their pets. Not just in the US, did it in Japan too. No one should ever believe that. Of course, then the authorities wonder why no one believes what they say. Once you leave your pet, s/he is dead.
I tend not to be very "political" but my loathing of Rudy Giuliani began after 9/11 when he refused to allow people to check on their beloved companion animals. I will never forgive him for that, and it turned out that he ran true to character in all of the years that have followed.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Local news reports here are that there are rescuers who have searched the building at least 3 times looking for pets that may have been left behind. I believe they were due to make another round or two, just in case. They just won't let lay-people into the building. So, granted, there may be some pets the rescuers won't be able to find, but hopefully not the case.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Local news reports here are that there are rescuers who have searched the building at least 3 times looking for pets that may have been left behind. I believe they were due to make another round or two, just in case. They just won't let lay-people into the building. So, granted, there may be some pets the rescuers won't be able to find, but hopefully not the case.
My most fervent *Prayers* are going up for them. May they be found and gotten to safe haven right away. DO NOT GIVE UP. And keep signing that petition, everyone, because our voices may have power and our intentions may help in this effort.
Miami condo collapse: death toll at 24 as search pauses for demolition
Please everyone pray for this cat!

Last edited:

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I don't understand why people didn't take their pets when they left their condos and my fear is that after all this time many of these pets may already have died from heat, lack of water
Residents who were present when they wanted the building evacuated were allowed to pack clothing/toiletries/small valuables before they left, so those who had pets had better have taken them with them at that time. All of these folks were forewarned they were not likely to get back into the building again.

So, it would be those residents who were away on vacation, etc. that would be the ones whose pets would be the most susceptible. I have not heard what, if any, arrangements were made for those types of circumstances, but I think that is what prompted the pet searches they have done so far.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Last edited:

Whenallhellbreakslose

Top Cat
Purraise
At this time Elsa is not projected to be make landfall anywhere near Miami. When it does get to Florida it is projected to be a tropical storm. Let's hope it stays that way.

View attachment 386774
At this point, they indicated that they are going ahead with plans regardless. Their is a trap set out for a missing cat. I hope it is caught and any other pet before the demolition of the Surfside building.

This heartbreaking situation raises questions regarding evacuations and rescues in crisis situation. For example after Hurricane Katrina struck in 2005, people who were rescued from there homes were told to leave their pets behind! ☹ Their were rescuers who volunteered to rescue the abandoned pets, but despite their best efforts some pets didn't make it. Why are pets in certain crisis situations left behind? The other question is and this is probably the case with Surfside, if you are away and a calamity happens where your reside or near where you reside, how is your pet going to be saved? If you are on vacation, take the pet with you or place in a Kennel/cattery or let your pet stay with trusted family or friends. Those are reasonable solutions, but what about when you are at work?

Anyway, I just thought I put this question out there. Still praying for a miracle Surfside pets. This is truly heart wrenching.😢

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
At this point, they indicated that they are going ahead with plans regardless. Their is a trap set out for a missing cat. I hope it is caught and any other pet before the demolition of the Surfside building.

This heartbreaking situation raises questions regarding evacuations and rescues in crisis situation. For example after Hurricane Katrina struck in 2005, people who were rescued from there homes were told to leave their pets behind! ☹ Their were rescuers who volunteered to rescue the abandoned pets, but despite their best efforts some pets didn't make it. Why are pets in certain crisis situations left behind? The other question is and this is probably the case with Surfside, if you are away and a calamity happens where your reside or near where you reside, how is your pet going to be saved? If you are on vacation, take the pet with you or place in a Kennel/cattery or let your pet stay with trusted family or friends. Those are reasonable solutions, but what about when you are at work?

Anyway, I just thought I put this question out there. Still praying for a miracle Surfside pets. This is truly heart wrenching.😢
The harsh truth is that, if no one is home and there is no access to units by trusted rescuers, this is what happens. And in a crisis, where a building is unstable as happened on the 24th June, people may not be able to get cats who have run under beds or into hard-to-access areas to hide. This is why I will not live in a multi-story edifice and why I have carriers at the ready. Many people cannot live in single-family dwellings, I know. I've lived in apartments before and I have never been truly comfortable in them for this reason and because whenever there are other people involved, you have unknown variables. Does someone next to you smoke? Are they cognizant, or do they leave burners on the stove on? It's a tremendous amount to think about. Anyone who lives with kids, elders, and/or companion animals and truly cares about them has these concerns.
After Katrina, laws were passed mandating that rescue shelters accept companion animals. IDK how stringently this is enforced, though.
They're just about ready to bring it down, I would think, at 7:24pm EDT. Not a lot more daylight left.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
The harsh truth is that, if no one is home and there is no access to units by trusted rescuers, this is what happens.
There is no reason at this point to revere the sanctity of privacy in a condemned building. So, the rescuers are breaking into units to find whatever animals they can find. Does that mean they will be able to catch them all? No, probably not - but they aren't being 'dainty' in their attempts to grab the ones they can - anyway they can. A traumatized cat from being grabbed in whatever manner they can be is better than a dead cat. That is the harsh reality. They are doing what they can.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There is no reason at this point to revere the sanctity of privacy in a condemned building. So, the rescuers are breaking into units to find whatever animals they can find. Does that mean they will be able to catch them all? No, probably not - but they aren't being 'dainty' in their attempts to grab the ones they can - anyway they can. A traumatized cat from being grabbed in whatever manner they can be is better than a dead cat. That is the harsh reality. They are doing what they can.
...and knowing how tough cats can be in crises makes me think they are alive.

Whenallhellbreakslose

Top Cat
Purraise
The harsh truth is that, if no one is home and there is no access to units by trusted rescuers, this is what happens. And in a crisis, where a building is unstable as happened on the 24th June, people may not be able to get cats who have run under beds or into hard-to-access areas to hide. This is why I will not live in a multi-story edifice and why I have carriers at the ready. Many people cannot live in single-family dwellings, I know. I've lived in apartments before and I have never been truly comfortable in them for this reason and because whenever there are other people involved, you have unknown variables. Does someone next to you smoke? Are they cognizant, or do they leave burners on the stove on? It's a tremendous amount to think about. Anyone who lives with kids, elders, and/or companion animals and truly cares about them has these concerns.
After Katrina, laws were passed mandating that rescue shelters accept companion animals. IDK how stringently this is enforced, though.
They're just about ready to bring it down, I would think, at 7:24pm EDT. Not a lot more daylight left.
I didn't know about the laws passed after Hurricane Katrina. I wasn't as tuned in to things as I am now. 7:24pm??? Then it is done. RIP to all the people and animals who perished. ☹🌹🌹🌹 I can barely type this because my eyes are so teary. We will never forget this horrible tragedy!!!