Re-introducing new Cats

Sarah13

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi all, we have a 3 year old resident cat (Cleo) and 1 month ago adopted a 3 year old mainecoon (Luna) It was a slow start with Luna as she was really nervous and wasn’t eating so she was basically in her safe room for the first 2 to 3 weeks coming out for small visits (she was also under weight)
We were not feeding them together because I didn’t know that, that was some thing you should do as this is our first time adopting and both my cats are free feeders. My resident cat is a picky eater and really only wants dry food and treats. They have met a few times as we started to let Luna explore the house slowly. Cleo would hiss and growl. When Luna started to feel more confident she would try and get close to Cleo and Cleo would run away and Luna would chase her. Yesterday morning this happened and there was swatting. Mostly from Cleo. So I put Luna back in her safe room. I’m feeling frustrated because I’m trying to now get Cleo on a feeding schedule and move her food closer to Lunas room which is on our second floor. Which doesnt seem to be working. I guess my question is how do I re-introduce them and can I free feed them both and just leave Cleos Food closer to Lunas door on the upper level? Im going to sight swap them today as well. It seems Cleo has the bigger problem with Luna. Sorry for the long post/rant. I’m feeling super overwhelmed at the moment!

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't believe there are any required steps to the introduction process, so if the feeding recommendations aren't working abandon them. Rather, it is about gradually getting the cats used to each other, letting them see nothing bad is happening at each step before moving forward. Its kind of like the psychological theory of gradual desensitiation where you can say get over a fear of spiders by a series of steps, visualize the spider, see it from 10 feet away, see it from 6 feet away crawling on the therapists hand, etc, only moving on after you get used to each step and see it isn't so bad.

Do keep in mind that with adult cats, an introduction process may not get them 100% of the way, and they may need to do some work together on their own. Some mild hissing and "get away from me" swatting isn't too bad. As long as you are clear they don't want to fight, it might be a reasonable choice to see if they can work things out with supervised time together. You could back up and redo some steps of the introduction, but I don't think you need to unless you have some doubts about them wanting to actually fight.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Sarah13

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Ok, so should I just leave the food out and focus on re-introducing them through play and treats? We are locking Luna in her safe room and night and when we are out as Im nervous to leave them alone. Yesterday there was a fight and chasing Cleo was scared and stressed. I need to figure out how to teach Cleo, Luna is a positive....any

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If there was an actual fight, I'd back up the introduction. An actual fight is like if you are doing gradual desensitization with your therapist and he screws up and drops the spider on you before your ready -- i.e., you get freaked out and it undoes a lot of progress. So you need to back up. Did you ever do the step where they can see each other but not interact? Sometimes people double stack baby gates (so they can't jump over them).

How To Successfully Introduce Cats: The Ultimate Guide – TheCatSite Articles

How To Fix An Unsuccessful Cat Introduction – TheCatSite Articles

Sarah13

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Im going to do that again today. Luna is a parkour kitty ... so we are going to pick up some bigger gates. Right now I have switch spaces, Cleo is in Lunas room and not happy about it. Luna is at the door, meowing and putting her paws under. Its definatley Cleo (resident cat) that ne

Sarah13

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Needs the help***

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ah, Parkour Kitty! I believe I heard that Jackson Galaxy recommends cracking the door to the saferoom with door jambs securing it on either side. That seems to be less commonly done, but may be another option for you.