Re-homed Our Beloved Cat - Trying To Cope

JustaDude

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello all,

It was a very hard decision and we are still grieving. My wife suffers from chronic pain, depression and she is currently 9 months pregnant. She could no longer give our boy cat the attention he deserves and once had so in turn, he started acting out. Biting things, jumping on the kitchen counter despite buying plastic mesh "spikes" to deter him, trying to open cabinets to get into the treats / bread in the middle of the night (which we were afraid would wake our son), peeing on carpet (we were afraid he could even pee in his crib...I brought a wet vac and I think he peed again after I cleaned it), crying non stop for attention (again, fearing he would wake our son). Some of this could be due to a move to the new house back in July, but ultimately it came to the hard cold reality that when I'm at work, my wife with both mental and physical illnesses could not take care of both our son and our boy cat.

Thankfully we did not have to surrender him to a shelter. We found someone that fosters him and he is already on facebook looking for a new forever home. On our drive there, the look on his face said it all, "what is going on?" when we said our goodbyes, he rubbed his face on our fingers through the carrier, cried for us to not go, and he just "knew".

My wife and I have been breaking down all weekend. we love you boy. we didn't deserve you. You deserve better. I pray that you find a good forever home where someone gives you all the attention you deserve. We will never forget you. I miss you running after our car when we come home. You just knew it was my Honda huh? I miss you jumping up at the window outside telling us to let you in. I miss you snuggled up in your bed. Don't miss us boy. Hate us, forget about us, love your new foster and soon forever home. We love you.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Oh gosh I'm so sorry things didn't work.

Could you double-check with the foster as to how he's doing? I'm wondering if a vet visit might be good to ensure there's nothing medical, so that he has the ultimate best chances to find a new home that is a win-win.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that he finds a wonderful new home, and sending you all the best for you and your new baby!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

JustaDude

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Oh gosh I'm so sorry things didn't work.

Could you double-check with the foster as to how he's doing? I'm wondering if a vet visit might be good to ensure there's nothing medical, so that he has the ultimate best chances to find a new home that is a win-win.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that he finds a wonderful new home, and sending you all the best for you and your new baby!
Thanks, we just had his annual check up earlier this year and no issues. However, that doesn't mean he didn't develop anything. It all started after the move in July

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'm thinking of the attempts to get at food as well as the litter box problems. Sometimes these are purely behavioral but sometimes there are health issues. A new family may want a "turnkey kitty" as opposed to one that may require help of one sort or other.
But, anyway, the foster probably has things under control :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

JustaDude

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
we had the worst thoughts that he would pee in every new home he goes to and end up in a shelter. this is the first pet I'm losing....I can't believe how much of a "father" I'm, worrying that he is, and will be okay.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry, but you did the right thing. You cared about him enough to let him go to somebody who can help him. It might be his diet. My cat Demi had similar problems when he was eating too much dry food. Hopefully the fosters can get it sorted out. Don't beat yourself up, we do what we can and when we can't, hopefully there's someone there to help us.

doomsdave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
J JustaDude , you did the right thing, even if it hurt.

Hope you and your wife and children are okay.

I had to give up a cat that was making war on other ones, and I loved her to death, but I didn't want a hell house.

One of my neighbors asked me would I please drive their nice golden retriever doggie to her new owner, just up the hill. I have a station wagon, perfect for doggie transport. The neighbor's children loved the dog, but were also violently allergic to her, so she had to go. Sad parting, yes, indeed. Mom tried to put a positive spin on things but the kids hugged the dog, sneezed, and cried and the dog moaned too.

But, she's fine in her new home. Drove by the other day and she was running across the yard, long ears flapping, and fur flying.

Again, J JustaDude , you really did the right thing.

Best to all of you!

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My Jasmine was a much loved cat with her previous human, but that woman's granddaughter developed a cat allergy so she had to re-home Jasmine. She knew my friend Rich and told him about the problem, and Rich offered to take Jasmine in until he could find a new Human for her. Then he posted in our computer club's Google Group, "Is anyone looking for a new cat?" Our Floppy had been gone for several months at this point and I was more than ready for a new cat, so I responded enthusiastically and we went over to Rich's house and picked her up.

Now, a couple of months ago Rich was doing his annual fall colors bike ride in the mountains when he had an apparent heart attack. Someone spotted him and called 911 immediately, and they responded quite quickly, but it was still too late. I think he must have died instantly. It's hard to believe we'll never see him again. Anyway, we now have two cats, because Rich's cat Bright Eyes needed a new home. And I just noticed that he has now co-opted the highest spot in the living room, the cushion on top of the bookcase. Jasmine will not be happy when she notices, but I think it means that Bright Eyes is finally starting to feel a little bit more at home.

Margret