Re: Help Catch A Criminal

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, surrender fees do pose a real problem. A low-income person who makes a few bad choices can quickly become overwhelmed with animals because of the expense of getting them spayed / neutered and the expense of legally surrendering them to shelters.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I hate to agree with tarasgirl06 tarasgirl06 about the CA desert, but it is true and I am so sorry if anyone reading this is a wonderful, loving pet owner as my dear friend in Twenty Nine Palms, right next to Joshua Tree, is.

CA does have the strictest animal laws in the country, but it does not mean that these people necessarily get the full extent of it.

Surrender fees, meant to stop the normal animal owner from randomly deciding to give up a pet, cut both ways. They probably do more harm than good in the long run and probably do cause people to abandon pets in all sorts of places like parks, beaches,and foothills. A safe box would be a wonderful idea and even in the absence of that there are options aside from blatant cruelty. In the last recession, the Pasadena Humane Society regularly found animals tied to the front door in the morning with notes on their neck saying "I am a good dog and my family can't keep me because dad lost his job." My vet adopted a dog he found in exactly the same circumstances. Just a month ago I was there with my dog for an early morning drop off and a sealed box with air holes was in front of the door. Kittens. At least those people were not depraved enough to try to kill the animals. I get poverty and desperation but I don't get evil and cruelty. The woman in Coachella had the puppies in a clear bag and looked at their little faces as she dumped them. But then why do some people kill newborns rather than taking them to a fire station?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hate to agree with tarasgirl06 tarasgirl06 about the CA desert, but it is true and I am so sorry if anyone reading this is a wonderful, loving pet owner as my dear friend in Twenty Nine Palms, right next to Joshua Tree, is.

CA does have the strictest animal laws in the country, but it does not mean that these people necessarily get the full extent of it.

Surrender fees, meant to stop the normal animal owner from randomly deciding to give up a pet, cut both ways. They probably do more harm than good in the long run and probably do cause people to abandon pets in all sorts of places like parks, beaches,and foothills. A safe box would be a wonderful idea and even in the absence of that there are options aside from blatant cruelty. In the last recession, the Pasadena Humane Society regularly found animals tied to the front door in the morning with notes on their neck saying "I am a good dog and my family can't keep me because dad lost his job." My vet adopted a dog he found in exactly the same circumstances. Just a month ago I was there with my dog for an early morning drop off and a sealed box with air holes was in front of the door. Kittens. At least those people were not depraved enough to try to kill the animals. I get poverty and desperation but I don't get evil and cruelty. The woman in Coachella had the puppies in a clear bag and looked at their little faces as she dumped them. But then why do some people kill newborns rather than taking them to a fire station?
Again, life is so far from simple and I never excuse cruelty. Ever. But I'm also well aware that the amazing, compassionate, personally responsible people I was fortunate and blessed to have for family are rare in the extreme and that while I've seen much in life, I wouldn't claim to know what true hells a lot of people are forced to endure through absolutely no fault of their own. Think of ANYONE in a war zone, ANY refugee, ANY kid with abusive/drug and/or alcohol dependent parents, ANY kid with no parents, just for a few for instances. Some people NEVER know love. They NEVER have good teachers. And look around! Is this society compassionate? Responsible? Wise? *no answer required.*
Yes, I've seen some really low and mean examples of the worst of what our species can produce when I lived in the Mojave. I also see it here in L.A. Metro. It's everywhere. And poverty, which is a lot deeper and wider than the media has most people convinced exists here, hardly ever inspires compassion. Anyone not convinced of that should try living in it for awhile.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
But then, there's us including the man who got those puppies out of the dumpster. :yess:
Right. Some people have consciences, feelings, heart and soul. Some are convinced, one way and another, NOT to have, pay attention to, or obey those important parts of the inherent mammalian makeup. And some lack them.

will2002

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Sometimes I wish that I didn't care so much about animals. It is heart breaking to me so see animals go hungry, without shelter and having to suffer. Life for me would be so much easier if I just didn't give a d***!

Sorry folks...just thinking out loud.

Talien

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Whether it's easy to turn animals in to a shelter in that area or not is immaterial to what she did, because if she had that many Dogs you have to ask yourself this.....how many other Puppies did she throw away before she got caught doing it? It's been my experience that people who will do such a thing would do it regardless of how easy or not it is to turn an animal in to animal control or to a shelter.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
W will2002 It's easy to think that, but in reality, people who are uncaring are in the hells of their own choosing. We are mammals. We are hard-wired to care.
It is our natural state.
And Talien Talien , you're absolutely right. The perpetrator is a prime example of someone who is in a hell on this earth. Read the article in Animals 24-7 for the proof: Culwell case: did surrender fees lead to Coachella puppy-dumping?

Leomc123

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I hate people like this woman, yeah she had a hard life, you did drugs so you go and make 38 more lives a living hell . People like this woman get charged with a slap on the wrist all the time. She is out on bail already how can she afford that ? I guess her friends and family can afford a bail out but she cant afford to spend a bit of cash to rehome the animals, instead she is able to dump them in the bin. Why the hell is she in the streets. Those poor animals god knows what they went through. I hope she gets a good long jail sentance and they fix her up in prison.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hate people like this woman, yeah she had a hard life, you did drugs so you go and make 38 more lives a living hell . People like this woman get charged with a slap on the wrist all the time. She is out on bail already how can she afford that ? I guess her friends and family can afford a bail out but she cant afford to spend a bit of cash to rehome the animals, instead she is able to dump them in the bin. Why the hell is she in the streets. Those poor animals god knows what they went through. I hope she gets a good long jail sentance and they fix her up in prison.
I agree with you in the main, Leomc123 Leomc123 and I also wonder how she was able to bail out so quickly -- I guess the family will be paying off the bondsman for some time. These types of crimes often are met with slaps on the wrist, if that -- unless and until the public at large insists on the law being obeyed and those who break it receiving the full sentences. The present system of "just us" is a bitter joke. Serial killers are out on the streets in no time on technicalities or "good behavior". Sociopaths and psychopaths are frequently charming and very good at manipulation. Why wouldn't they behave well? It's in their best interests to do so. I always hope that these perpetrators do get at least some time inside, where those who have nothing to lose may mete out some of the justice deserved.