Re gaining spooky’s trust

Spookyandsammy

Tilly’s hooman maid
Super Cat
Purraise
So I put spooky in a new home last year and she hates me for it so I got a new apartment she has bonded we with the new person she’s with how do I regain her trust to take her back home or to leave her where she is and get a whole new kitten I could use some advice please she refuses to even come near me she hides under the bed when I go to see her at her new home I just get in the car and cry

Gypsy Witch & Persephone

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Wow, this is a tough one. Is it ok to ask why you found her a new home? My Persephone tends to be on the shy side. When I first brought her home I had to gain her trust. She hid behind the toilet for days. I allowed her this and only bothered her to check to make sure she was okay. She gradually came out more and more often and then began approaching me. She now follows me everywhere. When company comes I ask them to leave her be and if and when she wants, she will approach them. Also, I won't pick her up unless she wants me to. Maybe starting from the beginning with Spooky will work but it will take time. Whether or not to leave her in the new home is very difficult. Maybe discussing it with her new home people would help.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Sometimes, the hardest question we will ever ask ourselves is, "Is it more important for me to get my cat back, or is it more important for her to be happy and comfortable?" Sometimes, answering that question is heartbreaking, no matter which answer it is. When you answer that as honestly as you can, you will know what to do. If it is bringing her home, then you may spend months getting her to trust you again. If you get another kitten, you will surely miss Spooky, but know that she is safe and with someone she loves and trusts.