Re Cesar/dogs and regular catfood

lucyrima

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi, if a cat eats a 1/2 inch square of Cesar (the flat tins) dogfood (variety) once daily and gets taurine in all catfood otherwise, is there anything in the Cesars that could still seriously hurt a mature cat?

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
If you mean that your cat likes Cesar's dog food and eats a mouthful every day, it is probably not going to hurt him or be toxic in any way. However, he cannot eat dog food as a standard diet as it is deficient in many nutrients that cats need. If you notice that he is eating more dog food and less cat food, I would put a stop to it and redirect him to a cat food only diet.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lucyrima

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks - he doesn't 'free feed' in any case, but I give him that little piece of Cesar in the a.m. with his half can of Fancy Feast - done it for yrs, but he has 1-2 other things going on now (at 15) so I'm being careful about sorting out what's what. Of course he may have even just become allergic to ?? in there, or other food and now gets Thyroid Support Gold twice a day otherwise, along with Sulcrate for potential GI probs... just trying to rule things out.

Last edited:

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
What if you found a cat food similar in consistency to the dog food? Is this variety of Cesar's like a pate'?

Last edited:

lucyrima

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It's not one flavor or formulation, just a good variety of those little flat trays, and it's not that he won't eat cat food or anything, just something that got started yrs ago and I never stopped - and he only ever gets the one piece in the a.m. They are mostly pates, but some have bits and a little gravy.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Could you give your cat something else besides the dog food as a treat with meals? Maybe something healthy like freeze dried meat treats or plain cooked chicken?

lucyrima

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks, I could switch him to anything else (he does get various stuff) but it's just become a habit and I see no reason to switch unless, as I asked about, someone here knows specifically that something in most of those trays is bad.... I've read ingredients and reviews etc. about Cesar - about as bad as any other with e.g. meal instead of real meat, etc... but it's just what he's used to... I've been having lots of trouble finding soft treats for him - so many are crunchy and even if not 'Temptations' etc. don't agree with him, so between Feline Greenie pill pockets (only on occasion now one-at-a-time) and plain old little bits of cooked hamburger it's been hard to find the 'right stuff' (plus I think you have somewhat more variety in the U.S. than we do up here in Canada).

PS - he does get plain chicken 1"+ flattish square 1-2 x day for treats too... don't want to default just to that all the time.

Last edited:

lucyrima

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The thyroid stuff is for what are early symptoms discussed with vet and it is quite helpful... keeps his metabolism, etc. in a pretty good place. Testing for thyroid is expensive as is radiation, so I'm hoping to hold things as they are for now. He did have a low normal T4 done but had also been on the Gold for a couple of wks then so it might have jiggled the labs.
The sulcrate's newish (few wks twice daily) for potential .... whether ulcers or ?? but again, endoscopy's hugely expensive and my pension is not, so I'm trying to keep things balanced but also wondered today if e.g. even the little piece of Cesar (tsp really) could matter, but I don't necessarily think so... he just gets small (mostly visible, not really audible) ... between a burp and a little belch, mostly after eating, but not always and not every time at all. He is 15 (tho' I'm hoping for 20+) and has always been otherwise great.

lucyrima

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We do get Orijen here - but only through Petsmart (do you have those?) and not always a lot at a time. Haven't yet tried it but plan to.

lucyrima

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Answered above - trying to keep overlap/crossed posts here answered, but they get out of order.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I don't necessarily think so...
I'm with you, after thinking about it and looking at the ingredients (which is where I got off in the weeds, maybe, earlier when I suggested a change over to a cat food for his morning treat).

between a burp and a little belch, mostly after eating, but not always and not every time at all
Does he do a loaf position (feet tucked in, head sort of down-ish) where he looks uncomfortable within himself? Have you considered pre and probiotics?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Oh, and I apologize, I meant to respond to your question, we do have Petsmart stores here :)

lucyrima

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
What he does is a crouch, and a thing somewhere between a cough and regurg. sound, hairballish thing, but doesn't usually bring anything up, just sounds awful x 1 or 2 minutes, then goes back to being himself, or whoever he thinks he is at the moment. He did a lot more of the crouch/cough/etc. thing before starting the Gold, so there's some kind of connection there, but what it is or how much it matters I haven't fig'd out yet and neither has the vet. But things aren't getting worse, so that's something I suppose.

lucyrima

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Well, I don't do PB's - rather try to eat right (tho' certainly don't a lot :), but until the vet suggests it I don't think I'll go there (yet, anyhow). His pees and poops are OK (if a bit large due to thyroid issues) but otherwise OK and I don't like to mess with things when he's already on 2 meds for the moment... plus while they may be a great idea for anyone, they're also such a fad now and those often get disproved in time... I'll wait and see for now, but thx for idea.