RE: ACTIVISM FOR UNHOUSED CATS

Whenallhellbreakslose

Living in Kitty Paradise.
Top Cat
Purraise
I was completely floored at reading the statistics-- 1 in 6 vets will consider committing suicide. 😲 Very troubling!!! We are living in very stressful times and I guess it is just too much for some to bear. The pandemic and all these shutdowns have closed people off to necessary resources. Will be praying over this.🙏🙏🙏

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was completely floored at reading the statistics-- 1 in 6 vets will consider committing suicide. 😲 Very troubling!!! We are living in very stressful times and I guess it is just too much for some to bear. The pandemic and all these shutdowns have closed people off to necessary resources. Will be praying over this.🙏🙏🙏
Thank you. Our Prayers are powerful and we need to keep them up always. Yes, having to deal with suffering and with all of the various personalities of people is extremely difficult at the best of times; and we are not far from the worst of times, so we can well imagine. I can't print what I want to happen to the former Surgeon General for the damage done in making spay/neuter "elective" and prioritizing PPE for human care. That would NOT happen in a compassionate society or an intelligent one. Every day I see how much this world is on a razor's edge, and this society in particular is losing its grip on reality and on caring. But we can't stop. Long before the pandemic, I read of the suicide of a caregiver of neonatal kittens who left a LARGE (I won't print the number as it's too overwhelming) number of helpless baby kittens when she took her life. What happened from there, I do not know, but the fact that it was written about means that they were taken into care by others. Life is harsh and getting harsher by the day; but I for one know I can't stop. Every one of us who IS strong and caring is essential.

Whenallhellbreakslose

Top Cat
Purraise
Life is harsh and getting harsher by the day; but I for one know I can't stop. Every one of us who IS strong and caring is essential.
Yes, we must stay strong. Depression and feeling hopeless is pushing people over the edge. So sorry to hear about that Neonatal Kitten Care Giver. Thank goodness others took over her work, but her suicide was a terrible loss in the animal rescue world. This poor woman probably was very overwhelmed as she tried to make impact in this world through taking care of those baby kittens. Maybe she had mental health issues. Maybe she was dealing with terrible circumstances in her personal life, maybe she had too many haters speaking negativity over her. It is heartbreaking that she took her life. Thank goodness others are carrying on with her work and saving those kittens. Burn out and being pushed beyond your capacity happens often enough in the Rescue World. We must all know our limitations. We must be honest when overwhelmed. We must stay strong.

Thanks for posting this thread 🙂

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, we must stay strong. Depression and feeling hopeless is pushing people over the edge. So sorry to hear about that Neonatal Kitten Care Giver. Thank goodness others took over her work, but her suicide was a terrible loss in the animal rescue world. This poor woman probably was very overwhelmed as she tried to make impact in this world through taking care of those baby kittens. Maybe she had mental health issues. Maybe she was dealing with terrible circumstances in her personal life, maybe she had too many haters speaking negativity over her. It is heartbreaking that she took her life. Thank goodness others are carrying on with her work and saving those kittens. Burn out and being pushed beyond your capacity happens often enough in the Rescue World. We must all know our limitations. We must be honest when overwhelmed. We must stay strong.

Thanks for posting this thread 🙂
Yeah. "We can't save them all" is a cliche I loathe and do not believe in. If everyone who cared got involved, we COULD save them all, get spay/neuter/adopt for life universally accepted and practiced, and return the shelters to SHELTERING. So I'll never accept that. I just get up every day reaffirming my commitment to doing what I can do, and to putting the messages out there and encouraging others who care but haven't taken that next step, to take it.

Whenallhellbreakslose

Top Cat
Purraise
If everyone who cared got involved, we COULD save them all, get spay/neuter/adopt for life universally accepted and practiced, and return the shelters to SHELTERING.
I agree if everyone gets involved it would make a world of difference. There are just too many fence sitters out there that need to make the first move to get off the fence. We need to motivate them. 🙂

momof3b1g

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Yes I only rescue the ones that come in my yard. Even then I can't always do what's best. With 7 of my own. Which were found in my yard. I had 9. But it was to much and they didn't get a long with the others. So sadly I rehomed them. We got lucky last year and had none show up. Well this year I've already had 3. Actually I've seen a couple more but they never stayed around. Sadly one got hit by a car. #3 is outside and I can't get him in just yet. I just want to live my life and enjoy my hobbies. But they show up and stress me out. :( I hate leaving them outside but don't have a safe place for them and they aren't always cooperative. If more people cared about them we wouldn't have such an over population. I don't like dealing with them. But don't want them hurt.