RC Hair and Skin dry vs Purina Gold Paté

NabilBen

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hello guys, hope all is well with you.
I'd very much appreciate it if I can have some insights or previous experiences about these types of food (photos attached) which one is better? Complete? And why!
I red the ingredients on RC and they seem balanced unlike the Purina Gold Wet but I know that wet is better than dry. What do u guys think?
Thank you
purina-gourmet-gold-mousseline-485g.jpg
0cb47867753723e24fcd76e56db2eba9.jpg

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Wet food will always win out over dry food.

Cats get much of their water from what they cat, so wet is best, when it's affordable. It lowers their risk of UTIs and common urinary, bladder and kidney issues.

Dry on the other hand contributes to dehydration as it soaks up water in their tummies (taking water away rather than adding). It also is higher in calories so it can contribute to excessive weight gain and issues that come with that.

That being said, there is no issues with people feeding dry if that's what they can afford. You simply need to be mindful of the above issues. A mixed diet of wet and dry food is also preferable to a fully dry diet.

I also recommend adding a bit of extra water to their wet food, especially when very hot.

I haven't fed my cat Purina Gold but I love the Purina Pro Plan Prime Plus. It's the only cat food with a longitudinal study to lengthen cats lives. My boys eat that and Purina chicken and rice wet. (Urinary version for Nobel, who had FLUTD previously before I knew about dry food risks).

They used to get Purina dry food but can't because they added beef fat to it and Magnus has an allergy. I loved them being on that. I chose the senior one. Calcifer and Magnus were on Royal Canin before at the rescue, and I also like the brand.

I use Arcana cat food for treats or food enrichment (treat balls or puzzles). Be cautious as some cats cannot handle the high protein long term.