Rayne clinical nutrition

portia

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi there,

My cat Portia developed pancreatitis last year and is currently on hills z/d for possible IBD. However, she was became diabetic earlier this month and Im looking to change her diet because z/d is high in carbs (34% on dry matter basis). I cam across this realtively new canadian company called Rayne clinical nutrition that does limited ingredient novel protein diets and I was wondering if anyone has heard anything about them. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Amritha

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Here's the nutritional analysis sheet for the Kangaroo and Butternut Squash: http://www.raynenutrition.com/v/vspfiles/assets/images/template/vf001m kangaroo & squash.pdf

Calorie Distribution: 58.3% Protein, 34.3% Fat, 7.4% Carbohydrate

Here's the link to the feline products so you can browse: http://www.raynenutrition.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=1835

It looks like what it says it is: novel protein diets with limited ingredients. They do seem to be high protein, low carb, and should be appropriate for IBD and diabetes. :nod:

Are you familiar with Dr. Elizabeth Hodgkins' website? She's one of the leading experts on feline diabetes: http://www.yourdiabeticcat.com/

Given the cost of the prescription food, you might want to consider a raw or homemade (cooked or raw) diet. :dk:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

portia

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi there,

Thanks for your response. Portia has been on pred for a while now so raw is out of the question. I'm a vegetarian and so homecooked diets are probably going to be very difficult for me. I was thinking of Rayne as being an alternate to homecooked food. Im on FDMB support group for her diabetes and they've been great. Im trying to follow tight regulation but with the high carb diet that she's on right now, that may not be possible. Thanks for looking into Rayne. If you hear anything else about them, please let me know.

Thanks!!

Amritha

goholistic

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have heard of Rayne, but never tried it. I came across them when I was researching limited ingredient, novel protein diets for my Sebastian with pancreatitis and probable IBD. It does look like a good company, but there's the challenge of availability and palatability, and staying on top of your inventory so that you can order in advance. I'm on their site now. They made it much more user-friendly to order since the last time I was there. The Rabbit & Squash trays still interest me.

Did the pred cause the diabetes?

portia

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I dont know what caused the diabetes. Pred, high carb diet, pancreatitis, all of the above??? Im interested in their kangaroo and squash due to low carb and moderate fat.  Why do you see availability and palatability are a problem?

Thanks

Amritha

peaches08

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi there,
Thanks for your response. Portia has been on pred for a while now so raw is out of the question. I'm a vegetarian and so homecooked diets are probably going to be very difficult for me. I was thinking of Rayne as being an alternate to homecooked food. Im on FDMB support group for her diabetes and they've been great. Im trying to follow tight regulation but with the high carb diet that she's on right now, that may not be possible. Thanks for looking into Rayne. If you hear anything else about them, please let me know.
Thanks!!

Amritha
The FDMB is wonderful, especially when it comes to insulin and glucose curves. As you probably already know, really watch the insulin administration when moving to a lower carb diet. She may end upnot needing insulin at all on a low carb diet.

What dosage of pred is she on? More than likely the dosage isn't as immunocomprimising as one would think. In any case there are commercial raw options that are high-pressure pasteurized and very safe to feed immunocomprimised animals.

My own cats had diarrhea (IBS) and a cleaner diet really made a difference. I make my own raw though.

goholistic

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I dont know what caused the diabetes. Pred, high carb diet, pancreatitis, all of the above??? Im interested in their kangaroo and squash due to low carb and moderate fat.  Why do you see availability and palatability are a problem?

Thanks

Amritha
Yes, the kangaroo looks good, too, especially if you want a truly novel protein. I didn't say it was a problem. Just a challenge in that it can't be purchased from any other retailer or from a local vet (in a pinch), unless they carry it as part of their normal stock. I decided to try something easier to get...at least to start. I believe Rayne sells by the case (12 trays to a case), and knowing how picky my Sebastian has been in the past, he'd probably turn his nose up at it and I'd be stuck with a case of food he won't eat. I believe they do have some kind of return/exchange policy, though.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I understand you're not interested in making food for you cat given you're vegetarian (though many vegetarians and vegans do, juts because it is the equivalent of your diet to a cat from a health perspective ;) ). But I want to ensure there are no misunderstandings by anyone else potentially interested if reading this thread. As peaches points out, there are a number of commercial raw options now that are guaranteed pathogen free because of the high pressure pasteurization.

Also, I have a cat on 5mg of pred daily, and I feed homemade raw. This is an anti-inflammatory dose, not an immunosuppressive dose. That said, homemade can be cooked. There's a collection of recipes in the raw & home cooked forum.

portia

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ahh.. yes. I see what you mean. It does need lots of advanced planing but with Portia;'s many many medical problems, Im always planning!!.

Portia is on 5mg pred which is not immunosupressive as pointed out. I dont mean to diss raw food in general.Personally, I dont want to try it given the pred. Additionally,while NV has some great raw food lines, they are high in fat. Portia has very high choelsterol (>1000). Im not sure if fat is a  contributor to her disease in anyway but given her cholestrol I would like to keep her fat content low-moderate. So multiple reasons why I dont want to try raw just now. I like the idea of raw though so maybe at some point in the future (?). 

Ive emailed Rayne to get more information about sourcing of their kangaroo meat, quality control as well as the quality of meat. Ill let you know when I hear from them.

Thanks everyone,

Amritha

goholistic

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ive emailed Rayne to get more information about sourcing of their kangaroo meat, quality control as well as the quality of meat. Ill let you know when I hear from them.
Definitely let us know what you hear!

Although I couldn't find it on their website now, I believe I read in the past that the food requires a prescription from your current vet. Is this still the case?

portia

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Just got off the phone with customer service and they were really open about everything. Here's what I got (specifically abuot kangaroo and squash)

1. Source of meat: free range kangaroo from Australia (no farming and no antibiotics)

2. Mostly muscle meat with heart and liver meat as well

3. Since the meat is imported from Australia it is USDA approved

4. No preservatives in the food.

5. Food is steamed to be cooked (He said its packaged and then place in boiling water)

6. All equipment are steamed with a pressurized hose to prevent cross contamination between different proteins

7. You do need a Rx. you can place the order and they will contact your vet to make sure its ok.

They only ship within the US, canada and australia.

So thats that. I will be talking to my vet about them.

Thanks

amritha

verissmd

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have used Rayne kangaroo/squash for an elimination diet through the advice of my cats' dermatologist. I tried raw and I tried to cook kangaroo for them but they are so damn picky that they weren't eating.

The Rayne food comes in 3oz trays @ roughly $1.60/tray. I have found that the texture isn't terribly consistent, probably due to the fact that this isn't a huge processing plant making large batches of slop to can. My cats prefer when the texture isn't soupy, and when it IS soupy.. well I'm throwing $1.60 in the trash a few times a day lol. Fussy cats.

My cats are definitely allergic to "something". Their fur greatly improved on the kangaroo diet and the large area of plaque my one little guy had completely resolved in 6 weeks. It's expensive though and they don't make a dry version for felines (I asked because they offer kangaroo kibble for dogs). My cats really prefer a wet AND dry diet. :( Unfortunately, I am unable to narrow down exactly what they are allergic to because there are just so many things it can be. (I am fairly sure peas are a top allergen for my kitties)

You do need a prescription to order (they will just contact your vet to make sure) and they offer diets with and without the added vitamins/supplements.

portia

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi there,

Thanks for responding. I started my cat on the kangaroo diet. She is quite sensitive to change so I have to introdce the new diet over a period of a month and Im only about a week into it. I find the texture to be very uneven. There are some really hard peices which Im not sure she likes. I have mash things up a bit before giving it to her. She has been on wet food forever so fortunately that isnt an issue for us and she actually likes it soupy so I will probably add water to the kangaroo food. Im glad to know it helped your cat's allergies. I really hope it will help her as well.

Are you continuing the Rayne Kangaroo or have you changed to another diet?   

Thanks for your response.

Rita

verissmd

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I was on the Rayne diagnostic diet for about 8 weeks with improvements in both cats. The vet told me to reintroduce the old food, but they started itching and ripping out fur again so I promptly went back to the Rayne diet with added vitamins.

Our cats are opposites! Mine love the big chunks of kangaroo but hate when it's too soft. The texture definitely varies greatly in this food though. Hope it works for her!

goholistic

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I appreciate this information from the both of you. If my Sebastian ever becomes allergic to the rabbit he is on, we may have to switch to something like kangaroo. I always have to mash Sebastian's food, even when it is a pate. He likes his soupy, as well.

portia

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi there,

When you say you added vitamins, is that a special request you have to make? When I look at my product label, it says vitamin mix on it so I assumed that was the default. Did you chose to have the vitamins removed and then added it later on? Im a little confused by this.

Thanks

a

verissmd

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
They offer maintenance diets and therapeutic/diagnostic diets.

The diagnostic diets ONLY have kangaroo and squash in them.

The maintenance diets have added vitamins like taurine etc.

We did the diagnostic diet first because the vet wanted the simplest possible combination to see if my kitties were in fact allergic to food. She didn't even want supplements interfering with the elimination process because apparently cats can be allergic to vitamins as well. But it specifically states on the website (and the vet informed me as well) that this is only intended to be fed short term as they do eventually need those supplements.

Now we're on the maintenance diet since we know it works and can feed it long term.

Hope that clarifies it!

portia

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yup. Makes perfect sense. We started off with the maintenance diets and dint even try the therapeutic ones.  I had no idea they could be allergic to vitamins.  Im glad  both diets worked for your cats. 

fingers crossed for my Portia.