Rawz.....thoughts?

patti511

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I just picked 4 cans of RAWZ...
Turkey & turkey liver pate
Chicken & chicken liver pate
(And these two they’ve never had, and I am unsure of giving them, but they only had 4 flavors in the pet store:)
Beef & beef liver pate
Salmon pate

I have read not to give fish and I’m not sure how I feel about beef. This brand has no gums and no carrageenan and at $1.99 a can...is affordable for 5 cats.
Thoughts? Thanks!

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
I was feeding Rawz—the chicken and the turkey—because of the high quality ingredients before I started making the cats’ food because it had no gums or carrageenan. The girls really liked it; they’re pâté fans. I don’t feed fish and the girls are indifferent to beef which is fine by me. I still have some on hand for emergencies.

I saw the other thread about BPA, and I wasn’t aware of that. It’s so hard to find a high quality food that doesn’t have some questionable ingredients...or packaging, I guess. I’ve had cats for 45 years and for almost all of that time, I fed them what I thought was quality food. It wasn’t until I had my first fat cat that my vet at the time told me to stop feeding and free feeding dry because it wasn’t good for them. Shortly after that, my senior guy—not the fatty—developed diabetes. That’s when I started to research and moved to meal feeding canned only. I continue to learn now that I’m making their food.

I was paying $2.45 a can for Rawz so your $1.99 is a great price!

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I think Raws is a good food, but my cats don't like it. Figures :sigh: And that price of $1.99 seems GREAT! I'm sure I paid more than that when I bought it.

OH, and my cats DO like beef! They're kind of weird. They hate rabbit AND turkey, both of them, And they aren't too crazy about liver either, or duck :mad2:. So needless to say, it's a little hard to buy for them.

ailish

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I fed my cat Rawz for quite some time and she loved it. It seemed to me to be very good quality food. Then Ailish decided that she wouldn't eat any of the many varieties of food she's been eating and will only eat Weruva. I'm holding on to my Rawz until she changes her mind again, I don't think her sudden boycott had anything to do with the food, because it was across brands.

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cats are not fans of Rawz either. But i do feel your pain at the boycott. Mine do that occasionally with a favorite food. I guess they get tired of it. Normally if i put it in the back of the pantry and try again in a month or two they like it again.

cheeser

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cats are not fans of Rawz either. But i do feel your pain at the boycott. Mine do that occasionally with a favorite food. I guess they get tired of it. Normally if i put it in the back of the pantry and try again in a month or two they like it again.
Our kitties usually decide to boycott a particular food as soon as we buy a new case to replenish our supply. Don't even ask what happens when we buy several flavors at the same time. :crackup:

We tried Rawz, but our cats weren't impressed. Then again, like many cats, it can take a lot to impress them. :wink:

AutumnColors

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I've tried the turkey and the chicken. One of my cats, Isis (the black one in avatar), is allergic to fish protein, but she does fine with fish oil if it only comes from fish fat. They won't touch beef. The non-allergic cat, Aja ("Asia"), won't touch the chicken, but they both love the turkey. Unfortunately, I think Isis might also have a turkey allergy because she's scratching a lot.

I recently emailed Rawz to ask if they were going to have any new proteins available, and someone named Amy wrote me back to say that they have a new canned rabbit version that should be at retailers soon. She said the first shipments are going out to distributors now. Very anxious to try it here.

Aja likes the dry chicken/turkey food, but I'm only feeding it to her when I can be sure the other one won't try to finish her leftovers.

I also asked if they were going to make their food available in 3-oz cans because Aja won't eat refrigerated leftovers about 40% of the time.

I'm going to buy some Nature's Logic Wild Salmon Oil and add it to their food. When Isis' scratching settles down, I'm going to retry the Turkey to see what happens if I add salmon oil to it. It may just be that the needed the extra omegas and not that she's allergic.

We'll see. I hope they like it, because the ingredient list looks great to me.

We're trying to move away from the Instinct brand. We've replaced the freeze-dried raw rabbit mixers with Stella & Chewy's Absolutely Rabbit (fed dry). Still stuck trying to find a replacement for the L.I.D. kibble. They don't each much of that. I leave out a bowl with a little bit for each cat overnight so they'll let me sleep a bit later.

Anyhow, if you're cats don't like the 4 varieties available now, wait a few weeks and there will be at least one more choice. I only asked if they were going to make a rabbit formula. I don't know if they're going to introduce more than one new variety.

Hope that helps.

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
for a bit of kibble have you looked at taste of the wild prey? they have two formulas, a turkey and a beef. they are very limited ingredient. and you can pick it up at most pet stores, or tractor supply.

» Formula Results

AutumnColors

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
duckpond duckpond -- Still testing whether one of the cats is actually allergic to turkey or is just scratching due to lack of omegas in Rawz (they don't list any info regarding omegas on their packaging). She's not vomiting, so I'm optimistic that turkey might be an option. If it's the omega issue, I'll give just stick with RAWZ kibble and make sure they get fish oil.

Another brand OP might want to look into is Nature's Logic. Great ingredient list, but my cats just didn't like it.

KarenKat

Kitty on the half shell, tortie power!
Top Cat
Purraise
I finally tracked down some Rawz in a store (had to drive to three locations about 30 min away) so I could see if our Olive would like it before buying a whole case. I bought the Beef, Chicken and Turkey flavors since I didn’t see me getting cases of salmon. She went mad for the Beef! She mainly eats chicken and turkey but she gobbled the beef up so fast and happily ate the leftovers at other meals. I just bought a case that’s coming today so I can mix it in. I think it’s her new favorite food!

I too love the lack of gums and carageenen / agar agar in it. And the guy at the store told me that since the meat is steamed it’s less processed than other canned foods? I was really happy she took to it. :happycat:

AutumnColors

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The price for individual cans of Rawz over here is $2.19. There's a retailer in the area that now has online ordering. The per-can price for a case is $1.95. Just posting for anyone who likes the brand and wants to find a place to order it online. Family-owned operation. Nice people. Here's a link to the page with Rawz canned. I tried to put a link in here, but it was blocked, so I'll just post the name of the place: Thomaston Feed (in Connecticut, several brick & mortar locations).

AutumnColors

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
KarenKat KarenKat Maybe I'll get a can of the beef and try it. Neither of them have every shown any interest in anything "beef" - human food or cat food. Now bacon, on the other hand ...

KarenKat

Kitty on the half shell, tortie power!
Top Cat
Purraise
Might be worth a shot. The only other Beef I’ve tried was Hounds and Gatos and she turned up her nose at most of their flavors. Must be something in the brand

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
The price for individual cans of Rawz over here is $2.19. There's a retailer in the area that now has online ordering. The per-can price for a case is $1.95. Just posting for anyone who likes the brand and wants to find a place to order it online. Family-owned operation. Nice people. Here's a link to the page with Rawz canned. I tried to put a link in here, but it was blocked, so I'll just post the name of the place: Thomaston Feed (in Connecticut, several brick & mortar locations).
That’s a great price! I was feeding Rawz canned before I started making my kitties’ food, and it was $2.45 a can at my local independent pet store.

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Our cats used to love Rawz but they stopped even liking it a couple months ago: last night they didn't even finish it with treats on top! And that was after not feeding it to them for at least a month. I almost wonder if they've changed the recipe, though it sure doesn't look like they did. Cats can be so weird!

MeganLLB

Accidental Ailurophile
Top Cat
Purraise
I bought it once because of the ingredients and my cats liked it but it was over $2 per can. Too expensive.

Azazel

Time spent with cats is never wasted.
Top Cat
Purraise
I think Rawz is good food but I don't like that their cans have BPA. I think I read somewhere that someone from their company mentioned they are working to change that though.

Their chicken and turkey varieties are also a little too high in fat for my liking (which is typical of chicken and turkey), so I wouldn't feed them solely.