Raw vs. Canned Sardines

vball91

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I know a lot of us feed canned sardines (in water, no salt) once a week. I was wondering why raw sardines aren't fed. Is it an issue with thiaminase or a sourcing issue or something I haven't even considered?

Are there any raw fish that are safe to feed at all? Just curious more than anything.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I don't know about others, but I feed canned because it's easy. Lazlo and Flowerbelle don't really eat them, and Tux and Spooky are sometimes iffy with them. I don't know where to get frozen sardines around here. I've thought about ordering them from HT just to try. They might not smell so strong.

But any oily fish provides similar nutrients.

Thiaminase, I now understand, is only an issue if you feed a primarily fish-based diet.

And the issue with other oily fish, like wild salmon, is they're older, so more likely to have toxins like mercury. Personally, I think anything fed in moderation should be just fine. :nod:

I don't have the link because I'm posting from my phone, but Google Little Big Cat fish and toxins, and you should easily find the article by Dr. Hofve.

But if you have access to fresh or frozen sardines or mackerel, or you feel like trying salmon, I say go for it!

Just an FYI, Gary and I won't eat farmed salmon ourselves, so I wouldn't feed it to the cats. (Sea lice and drugs to control it).

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

vball91

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Cool. We don't eat any farmed fish either, especially salmon. I see a bunch of different frozen raw fish and seafood options at the Asian market and was curious.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I got some raw sardines from HT. They didn't smell fishy but smelled very oily, if that makes any sense. They're gutted but still have fins and heads attached. The cats ate the entire fish except for the heads, which the dogs happily disposed of :lol3:. I'll probably buy them again. But canned/pouched is a lot easier.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

vball91

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hmm, I wonder now if the omega-3s are higher in raw vs. cooked. I'll have to look that up tomorrow.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I remember reading studies on salmon as re: omega 3s. The issue was comparing methods of cooking and the impact on omegas. I do remember baking had the least impact - but what that means is that cooking did have an impact. So I expect raw (big surprise there LOL!) will have more omega 3s!

goingpostal

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I feed canned sardines to the cat because she won't eat the frozen ones.