Raw Turkey Recall

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This is a public notice from CDC. It covers various suppliers of turkey products in the US. 40 people out of 90 reported cases required hospitalization.

I'm posting here because the notice mentions that two of the people who became ill "fed raw pet food". I don't see any commercial raw brands named, so I'm assuming that it was homemade raw food from normal grocery suppliers.

It's fairly common for the humans to fall ill from salmonella while the pets do just fine, except for extremely rare cases. Using common sense sanitation methods and keeping raw food away very from the very young (or very old, immune-compromised, or anyone who for some reason cannot follow safe food handling methods) could prevent people from getting ill when feeding pets a raw diet.

Outbreak of Multidrug-Resistant Salmonella Infections Linked to Raw Turkey Products | Multidrug-Resistant Salmonella Infections Linked to Raw Turkey Products | July 2018 | Salmonella | CDC

furmonster mom

Lap #2
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you for the reminder.

Yep... always clean clean clean yer stuff when making food for your pets.
I tend to clean between each meat batch, each organ batch, each processed batch. That's at least 3 times I clean off my board and knives for each processed batch. And my hands... yeah... Let's just say soap and hand lotion companies make a killing off me. ;)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So there isn't a recall, just improper handling?
Yes, sorry. An outbreak, not a recall. They're saying the drug-restistant strain is being found across a variety of turkey products and they have not narrowed it down to any one source.

This line is kind of scary:
"The outbreak strain of Salmonella Reading is present in live turkeys and in many types of raw turkey products, indicating it might be widespread in the turkey industry."

lalagimp

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I shouldn't be concerned because it's not in my state, and my cats' guts can handle it? :bliss::runaround:

sabrinah

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I was hoping to use turkey in my next batch of cat food but maybe I'll wait a little while now just to be safe since there were cases in my state.

Azazel

Time spent with cats is never wasted.
Top Cat
Purraise
When you click on the link to take you to the article about the 2 cases that fed raw pet food it goes to a page about a recall for a specific brand of pet food due to 2 children getting sick in January. This is not new news....

Am I missing something?

I also love this poster by the CDC that states that raw, canned, and dry food can all contain bacteria but that raw is the only one they don’t recommend feeding... :cool:

https://www.cdc.gov/healthypets/resources/pet-food-tips.pdf

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When you click on the link to take you to the article about the 2 cases that fed raw pet food it goes to a page about a recall for a specific brand of pet food due to 2 children getting sick in January. This is not new news....

Am I missing something?

I also love this poster by the CDC that states that raw, canned, and dry food can all contain bacteria but that raw is the only one they don’t recommend feeding... :cool:

https://www.cdc.gov/healthypets/resources/pet-food-tips.pdf
They talk about how salmonella can be really bad for small children...and right next to that on the menu is a headline stating salmonella linked to kellog's honey smacks....
I'll take my chances with raw

nansiludie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They talk about how salmonella can be really bad for small children...and right next to that on the menu is a headline stating salmonella linked to kellog's honey smacks....
I'll take my chances with raw
also there is a recall on goldfish snack crackers for salmonella as well. :/

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
also there is a recall on goldfish snack crackers for salmonella as well. :/
Yep and remember the mad cow disease thing and multiple recalls of vegetables (spinach, etc.) and a recent one for romaine lettuce for e-coli?

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It would also interest me to see these farms. My vague guess is they're all very large, very dirty factory farms. When you house thousands of birds in cramped quarters with sub-par sanitation (because GOOD sanitation is impossible at some of these joints), lack of quality food (real food, not mass produced grains), no sunshine, living among birds that have died, etc., it's no shock when something like this happens..