Raw Recipe Thread

cprcheetah

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just an adjustment to my Lysine addition 

3 & 1/2 teaspoons Lysine 500mg per day so 7000mg is what is needed  the stuff I have is 522mg per 1/4 teaspoon

washu

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have 2 recipes I use. Both are based off Dr. Pierson's recipe.

Recipe 1 uses ground whole chicken, turkey, duck, or rabbit carcass from My Pet Carnivore.
3 lbs ground whole carcass
1 cup water
2000mg taurine
400 IU vitamin e
50mg B-complex
I don't add in the lite salt or fish oil. The My Pet Carnivore grinds include everything except fur/hide/feathers and intestines. Ohki is allergic to chicken so I only give egg yolk to the other 3 cats. I usually use 2-3 varieties of meat per batch. If I'm using chicken in a batch I will first mix up the non-chicken meats and portion Ohki's meals separately. For example, my last batch had one pound each of chicken, turkey and rabbit. I mixed 2/3 of the water and supplements with the turkey and rabbit and portioned out Ohki's meals. Then I mixed in the chicken and the rest of the water and supplements to portion out meals for the other 3 cats.

The 2nd recipe uses Blue Ridge Beef Grinds. Turkey, chicken, duck, or quail.
5 lbs ground meat and bones
8 oz heart
4 oz liver
4 oz other organ
2 cups water
4000mg taurine
800 IU Vitamin E
100mg B-Complex
1 1/2 tsp Morton lite salt
I give salmon oil from a pump bottle at meal times and I give the 3 non-allergic cats egg yolk once a week.

silverpersian

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks, cprcheetah and Washu. I was concerned about adding lysine to food that would be frozen. It is good to know that it won't be a problem.

silverpersian

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Fingili has been scratching behind his ears pretty often recently. Our vet saw him today and thought a chicken allergy might be the problem. He has a little inflammation in his ears too, so the allergy isn't a certainty.

I will have to try the rabbit recipe. I see that GoHolistic has already asked the question I had - whether rabbit organs can be used instead of the chicken organs. I figure it's best to stay away from chicken altogether and see what happens.

Do allergies go away? Fingili has been on the chicken diet since he was two months old (he is seven months old now). I mixed in lamb and beef and turkey every once in a while, and feed him sardines once every few days, but the chicken is what I fed most often.

I am hoping that the allergy is to something else altogether, or that it will subside if I switch to something else for a while. He doesn't seem to handle beef well, and if he becomes allergic to rabbit, I will have trouble.

silverpersian

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
mypetcarnivore has better delivery rates for our area than haretoday. Does anyone have experience with their coarsely ground rabbit? They don't sell the organs separately, but they are ground in. I am concerned about using poultry organs, because of the suspected chicken allergy. Should I try lamb liver, or have you found that the allergy doesn't extend to the organs?
Thanks for your help.

silverpersian

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Bumping to repeat an older question, and to ask a new one.

Does anyone have experience with the coarse-ground rabbit from mypetcarnivore? I am wondering if the bones fragments are too large.

They also sell a product called "ground whole young beef." The describe it as being "meat, organs and bones together. Coarse ground and fresh frozen. This is our premium whole animal grind.

These Michigan dairy cows are 1 - 7 days old. They have been milk-fed. Very young meat source makes for softer, more digestible bones. Very lean. ---Less than 1% fat.

The average prey animal has about 10% to 15% bone, about 10% organs, and the rest muscle and fat and connective tissue.  That is Mother Nature's model and therefore our model ratio for all of our Whole Ground  products.

Does that sound like it would be good for a cat, assuming that I balance it with the usual supplements?

Thanks for your help. I really need to try something other than chicken, and am unable to find anything reliable locally.

labugsy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I occasionally feed my 6,7, and 8 month old kittens MPC course grinds with no issues, but about 30% of their diet is PMR, so they are used to eating large chunks of meat and bone. I just ordered fine ground rabbit from MPC the last time I stocked up... I think it is still in stock now according to their website.

silverpersian

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
mypetcarnivore has a product called "ground whole young beef." The describe it as being "meat, organs and bones together. Coarse ground and fresh frozen. This is our premium whole animal grind.
These Michigan dairy cows are 1 - 7 days old. They have been milk-fed. Very young meat source makes for softer, more digestible bones. Very lean. ---Less than 1% fat.

The average prey animal has about 10% to 15% bone, about 10% organs, and the rest muscle and fat and connective tissue.  That is Mother Nature's model and therefore our model ratio for all of our Whole Ground  products.

Does that sound like it would be good for a cat, assuming that I balance it with the usual supplements? I am worried about not having enough fat. I have a growing kitten, hence the concern.

Thanks for your help. I really need to try something other than chicken, and am unable to find anything reliable locally.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You might to start a new thread. You would probably get a better response since your question isn't really about a recipe per se.

But, for what it's worth, the AAFCO recommendations are for a minimum of 4% fat (as fed) in cat food. Personally I would target significantly higher than that for kittens.

11201ny

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have 2 recipes I use. Both are based off Dr. Pierson's recipe.

Recipe 1 uses ground whole chicken, turkey, duck, or rabbit carcass from My Pet Carnivore.
3 lbs ground whole carcass
1 cup water
2000mg taurine
400 IU vitamin e
50mg B-complex
I don't add in the lite salt or fish oil. The My Pet Carnivore grinds include everything except fur/hide/feathers and intestines. Ohki is allergic to chicken so I only give egg yolk to the other 3 cats. I usually use 2-3 varieties of meat per batch. If I'm using chicken in a batch I will first mix up the non-chicken meats and portion Ohki's meals separately. For example, my last batch had one pound each of chicken, turkey and rabbit. I mixed 2/3 of the water and supplements with the turkey and rabbit and portioned out Ohki's meals. Then I mixed in the chicken and the rest of the water and supplements to portion out meals for the other 3 cats.

The 2nd recipe uses Blue Ridge Beef Grinds. Turkey, chicken, duck, or quail.
5 lbs ground meat and bones
8 oz heart
4 oz liver
4 oz other organ
2 cups water
4000mg taurine
800 IU Vitamin E
100mg B-Complex
1 1/2 tsp Morton lite salt
I give salmon oil from a pump bottle at meal times and I give the 3 non-allergic cats egg yolk once a week.
How many egg yolks for the first recipe, 2? Thanks!

11201ny

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
This thread is exactly what i was looking for, thanks!!

I understand that different suppliers package different amounts of mix, so portioning is par for the course. This leads me to ask...

For 6 lbs of meat (turkey - which includes organs & bones [Hare Today]), shall i just assume add 12% more? 

The recipe I researched (http://feline-nutrition.org/nutrition/making-raw-cat-food-for-do-it-yourselfers) seems to almost double, if not quadruple your ingredients:

6lbs Turkey (w/ bones, organs) Recipe (Hare Today)

6 lbs Turkey (w/ bones, organs) 

8 to 16 oz water

4 raw egg yolks 

2000 mg Taurine

800 IU Vitamin E

200 mg Vitamin B Complex

1 ½ tsp Lite Iodized Salt

*4 tsp Psyllium Husk Powder (optional)

I had to modify it a little, as the real recipe is based on 4.5lbs of thigh meat, 7oz. liver, & 14oz. heart = a little shy of 6lbs.

I'm confused.

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No, the brand doesn't matter. Just be sure what ever products you use provide the specified amount of the nutrient.

The B complex supplement used in the analysis contains (per capsule):

Thiamin (B1)       100 mg

Riboflavin (B2)    100 mg

B6                     100 mg

Folic Acid          400 mcg

B12                   100 mcg

Choline              100 mg

Last edited:

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just a note to let you guys know I've updated my recipes to use more standard measures, like '3 large eggs' rather than 150 g egg'. The images in this thread show the updated measures as do the PDFs in the linked directory.