Raw Intolerance?

Bengal Bud

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone! Sorry in advance, I'm new here and I'm sure this has been asked and answered somewhere here...but I've had Indy 2 weeks tomorrow. She is around 8 years old. I've tried to very slowly transition her to a raw diet, via Primal freeze dried and Rad Cat, limited quantities.
She basically throws it up almost immediately.
I've been settling her tummy with cooked chicken, baby food and Applaws, and Fromm dried food is well tolerated and eaten with enthusiasm. A friend is very pro Savage Cat for her Bengals and suggested I give this a try in very small quantities, but I'm not sure I want to keep up the 'trial and error' on her GI tract.

In your experience does this look like no raw for this girl?
I want the best for her, but a diet is of no benefit if the cat won't eat/digest it. She's actually pretty good on the water front so that's not a super concern. Although she's rejected her beautiful ceramic fountain in favor of the dog's water bowl lol! Thanks for any insights!

Attachments

missmimz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What proteins are you feeding? Have you tried warming the raw food up slightly before you serve it? Is she eating too fast or too big of portions?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Bengal Bud

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
excellent points and this morning I actually read another article you linked. I realize I was moving too fast -
I am going to literally back up to a teaspoon of the chicken and salmon (which she ate fresh cooked) and baby step her from that.
I've had this cat two weeks today, I'm the third owner in 2 months and I need to respect her time table...duh!

missmimz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Good plan :) With some cats you need to move a little slower. Poor girl, sounds like she's been through a lot, but awesome that you want to put her on the best diet possible. I love Rad Cat, really excellent food. I feed a lot of it. You're an excellent cat parent!

Bengal Bud

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks! You guys are so great I'm glad I found you! Still can't believe this cat was returned but.....people

dorimon

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Our kitten, Koda, recently had us worried sick because he was vomiting. We determined that he has a raw beef intolerance. He throws up immediately if there is even a tiny bit of raw beef mixed into his food. So perhaps you can try different proteins? Indy stores often carry samples of commercial raw, both frozen and freeze-dried. Just ask! :)

And yup, definitely take it slow with the transition! Keep us updated :)

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That was my first thought too...transition was too fast. Two weeks isn't a lot of time, and cat's on processed food have more alkaline stomach acid. On raw, their stomach acid lowers to a more natural pH for digestion. Any quick food change can cause tummy upset.

Congrats on your new girl. She's beautiful!

Bengal Bud

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
thanks! I'm going to try Honest Kitchen today - all our dogs have loved it. Grateful Pet Food Express takes back all her rejects!

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
thanks! I'm going to try Honest Kitchen today - all our dogs have loved it. Grateful Pet Food Express takes back all her rejects!
Hey, that's great...no risk trials. :agree:

And I meant to say that stomach acid increases with raw (the pH lowers).